As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Unexpected Disappointment

NethoboNethobo Registered User regular
This is not a post meant to flame or insult anyone, just to express my own feelings on a specific part of the con this year. Though I reserve the right to apply the term "Silly goose" to the company in charge if the specific events here (as outlined in the Grand Edict rules).

I just need to get this off my chest, and I really don't know where else to present my dissatisfaction. I love PAXEast and this is my 6th year going. I always spend at least one full day playing MtG. This year it really seems to have been handled very poorly. There were no sanctioned format constructed events on the list. I contacted the company 2x attempting to find an explanation of some sort. I never received a response. When I asked at their table about it, they gave this answer: "We did research and found that players don't like bringing their cards, so we chose to stick with sealed and draft." This is absurd. I spoke to several other players about this and each one not only had decks, but didn't understand this reasoning. It just ended up feeling like they didn't want to run events where they weren't selling product.

• Options
    nycguynycguy Registered User regular
    I don’t mean to thread hikack but I just wanted to share my experience. I’vd Never played mtg before until today. I did the intro lesson and then entered in to the dealer tourney. Had I not I would have never had cards to call my own. Granted I wasn’t pleased that I was placed with a near expert of the game as my component (who easily beat me 2-0) it was a good learning experience and the instructors are super patient. I really enjoyed this part of my day (some 3 hours well spent).

• Options
    NethoboNethobo Registered User regular
    I'm quite glad you enjoyed yourself. I've played the game for almost it's entire life and I am always happy to see new people start up. I recommend grabbing a Commander deck so you have something for a popular format, or just learning to draft. Both are fun and can help teach you a great deal.

My issues stem from me being a long time player. The problems I've found have little effect on new people.

• Options
    Nethobo wrote: »
    I'm quite glad you enjoyed yourself. I've played the game for almost it's entire life and I am always happy to see new people start up. I recommend grabbing a Commander deck so you have something for a popular format, or just learning to draft. Both are fun and can help teach you a great deal.

My issues stem from me being a long time player. The problems I've found have little effect on new people.

Thanks for that. I’ll look in to the commander deck tomorrow. Enjoy your time either way.

• Options
    Nethobo wrote: »
    This is not a post meant to flame or insult anyone, just to express my own feelings on a specific part of the con this year. Though I reserve the right to apply the term "Silly goose" to the company in charge if the specific events here (as outlined in the Grand Edict rules).

I just need to get this off my chest, and I really don't know where else to present my dissatisfaction. I love PAXEast and this is my 6th year going. I always spend at least one full day playing MtG. This year it really seems to have been handled very poorly. There were no sanctioned format constructed events on the list. I contacted the company 2x attempting to find an explanation of some sort. I never received a response. When I asked at their table about it, they gave this answer: "We did research and found that players don't like bringing their cards, so we chose to stick with sealed and draft." This is absurd. I spoke to several other players about this and each one not only had decks, but didn't understand this reasoning. It just ended up feeling like they didn't want to run events where they weren't selling product.

FYI just ran in to several guys in the expo line who have their own cards and they are playing commander decks. They said that there are commander tourneys so ymmv.