As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - That’s So Gabe

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited April 2018 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - That’s So Gabe

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    Damn, that's a sharp chin.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Hah! Gabe would fall under the spell of a videogame cult leader.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    ...did Gabe seriously become brainwashed by a cult in a VIDEO GAME?

• Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    Sadgasm wrote: »

this is extremely on brand

• Options
    Yeah, remember Gabe also bought a "PS5" once and it was a box of spoons or something. He was having so much fun with it, Div didn't have the heart to break it to him. He also thought he could sell photos of his 360 on ebay for lots of money. I believe the goal was to buy a BMX bike so he could be "rad everyday"

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018

He loves his cults.
    ted9323f3ps9.png

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    twmjr wrote: »

this is extremely on brand

That's the joke!

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Their songs are so catchy!

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Their songs are so catchy!

The non-cultists get to listen to Joe Walsh, tho

• Options
    SpinelesSSpinelesS Registered User regular
    I'm still waiting for a game to go "The Kingsman" Route and have a bad guy who's a little crazy but also has a valid point.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    SpinelesS wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for a game to go "The Kingsman" Route and have a bad guy who's a little crazy but also has a valid point.

I'm pretty sure any point you are trying to make becomes invalidated when it involves global genocide!

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »

I'm pretty sure any point you are trying to make becomes invalidated when it involves global genocide!

IDK, I mean, you have to factor in social inertia. The logic being that only in the threat, (or after the success) of an event that could eliminate most of a population could society change. The Watchmen's Adrian Veidt uses this approach.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular

Off the top of my head:

Andrew Ryan: Bioshock
    Jowy: Suikoden 2
    The Reapers?: Mass Effect

I know there's a million more but I can't think of them right now. Video games are certainly on par with movies regarding bad guys with nuance. They're not common but they certainly exist in the better stories.

• Options

IDK, I mean, you have to factor in social inertia. The logic being that only in the threat, (or after the success) of an event that could eliminate most of a population could society change. The Watchmen's Adrian Veidt uses this approach.

It certainly can have positive results, the Black Plague was large part of why the feudal system collapsed, but it's not supposed to be your first option. The idea that the majority of humanity is just chaff to be cleared away so the survivors can thrive is a very dangerous mindset.

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular

It certainly can have positive results, the Black Plague was large part of why the feudal system collapsed, but it's not supposed to be your first option. The idea that the majority of humanity is just chaff to be cleared away so the survivors can thrive is a very dangerous mindset.

In the given example, that wasn't the reasoning for Veidt. Accepting the conceit of the movie - which is that Veidt has an enormous intellect - he is sacrificing a large minority of innocent lives because he sees imminent global nuclear war that will kill the majority of humanity. I think the point of his plan was that there was simply no other option is massive brain could see and it was either that or extinction.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Sounds like Jerry would rate the game a 6.5, if he were going to give it a number. :whistle:

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    PyrianPyrian Registered User regular
    Shadowrun: Dragonfall has a pretty good villain in that respect. He's just out to save the world, and you have to, um, stop him.

• Options
    Jakk FrostJakk Frost Registered User regular

Yes, but the virtual nullification of "survival of the fittest" by humanity is also quite dangerous. Our medical advances have the unintended effect of weakening our overall genetic integrity, since genetic anomalies that normally wouldn't perpetuate in a natural setting are instead able to survive and spread.

• Options
    MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I actually skipped all of FryCry except for the original beta. . . The AI wasn't done yet so you could win "Gunless" on hard mode

Does the most recent game actually let you be neutral or even shift sides?
    That would seem really progressive to me for a game that has been getting annual releases

MaximumSquid on
  • Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    I actually skipped all of FryCry except for the original beta. . . The AI wasn't done yet so you could win "Gunless" on hard mode

Does the most recent game actually let you be neutral or even shift sides?
    That would seem really progressive to me for a game that has been getting annual releases

No. The more realistic option would have you switching "sides" depending on operational realities. But it would also have included a lot more war crimes on all sides and there would really have been no villain.

• Options
    Jakk Frost wrote: »

Yes, but the virtual nullification of "survival of the fittest" by humanity is also quite dangerous. Our medical advances have the unintended effect of weakening our overall genetic integrity, since genetic anomalies that normally wouldn't perpetuate in a natural setting are instead able to survive and spread.

I don't think you fully understand "survival of the fittest" if you think it's been nullified. We're not being given medicine, agricultural technologies and other means by which we've spread our genes all over the place by aliens from outer space. Humans did it. Much like when we started poking around with sticks to increase our food opportunities or started wearing animal skins or tamed fire, we used technology to make us more fit for survival.

I'm not saying I don't get what you're saying. But the path we're on is going to be the more successful one, in terms of spreading DNA (the only thing life ultimately selects for) than any other. Eventually, it's likely we'll be ale to improve our immune systems enough that we don't even have to worry about pathogens.

And then there's the fact that when you say "humanity" what you really mean is "the first world countries." There's a substantial portion of the rest of humanity that is still there in the trenches duking it out with all our old enemies.

Of course, it'll probably be pointless and the eventual big asteroid will probably wipe out all "higher" life forms anyway. But in terms of raw DNA replication, we're punching above our weight.

• Options
    HardKaseHardKase Registered User regular
    I just finished the main campaign, and this is a lot more on point than anyone realized.

Steam ID: HardKAse@hardkase.cjb.net (yes I was drunk when I created it)
  • Options
    dennis wrote: »

I don't think you fully understand "survival of the fittest" if you think it's been nullified. We're not being given medicine, agricultural technologies and other means by which we've spread our genes all over the place by aliens from outer space. Humans did it. Much like when we started poking around with sticks to increase our food opportunities or started wearing animal skins or tamed fire, we used technology to make us more fit for survival.

I'm not saying I don't get what you're saying. But the path we're on is going to be the more successful one, in terms of spreading DNA (the only thing life ultimately selects for) than any other. Eventually, it's likely we'll be ale to improve our immune systems enough that we don't even have to worry about pathogens.

And then there's the fact that when you say "humanity" what you really mean is "the first world countries." There's a substantial portion of the rest of humanity that is still there in the trenches duking it out with all our old enemies.

Of course, it'll probably be pointless and the eventual big asteroid will probably wipe out all "higher" life forms anyway. But in terms of raw DNA replication, we're punching above our weight.

Firstly, I said "virtually nullified". Secondly, where did you come up with that "alien" stuff? And the medical advances that humanity has made are precisely what I'm talking about (and yes, I did mean in the west, I'm just getting tired of always making that qualification when it should be obvious). We're seeing rapid growth in allergies to common foods, thanks to the sterility of our society weakening our immune systems, unlike those others you mentioned "in the trenches", who have far hardier immune systems.

And then there's the people who naturally would have died young, or would otherwise been unable to procreate, due to genetic abnormalities. "Heroic measures" taken by medicine allow them to live much longer, and even productive lives, but the abnormal genetic info is also preserved and allowed to become productive.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I’m super not into this comic thread becoming a discussion on eugenics

• Options

Firstly, I said "virtually nullified". Secondly, where did you come up with that "alien" stuff? And the medical advances that humanity has made are precisely what I'm talking about (and yes, I did mean in the west, I'm just getting tired of always making that qualification when it should be obvious). We're seeing rapid growth in allergies to common foods, thanks to the sterility of our society weakening our immune systems, unlike those others you mentioned "in the trenches", who have far hardier immune systems.

And then there's the people who naturally would have died young, or would otherwise been unable to procreate, due to genetic abnormalities. "Heroic measures" taken by medicine allow them to live much longer, and even productive lives, but the abnormal genetic info is also preserved and allowed to become productive.

I'm not sure what genetic abnormalities you think arent being properly screened out by natural selection. Pretty much all human physical and mental disorders are recurring mutations and have been around long before modern medicine.

• Options
    And then there's the people who naturally would have died young,

I'm not going to respond very much in depth, because Tube is complaining about the direction of the discussion (though I'm not entirely sure I understand how it's a discussion of eugenics, since this isn't about trying to direct humans to breed in a certain way and is rather just a discussion of the outcome of how our technology affects evolutionary pressures).

So this may seem a bit glib and for that I apologize in advance. But I just wanted to say that from an pre-technological/pre-civilizational standpoint, any of us past our peak reproductive years are already overstaying our welcome. Natural selection pressures of that era didn't really give a shit if we pumped out a lot of babies and died in our 20s.

• Options

I'm not going to respond very much in depth, because Tube is complaining about the direction of the discussion (though I'm not entirely sure I understand how it's a discussion of eugenics, since this isn't about trying to direct humans to breed in a certain way and is rather just a discussion of the outcome of how our technology affects evolutionary pressures).

So this may seem a bit glib and for that I apologize in advance. But I just wanted to say that from an pre-technological/pre-civilizational standpoint, any of us past our peak reproductive years are already overstaying our welcome. Natural selection pressures of that era didn't really give a shit if we pumped out a lot of babies and died in our 20s.

Actually, the human lifespan wasnt quite that bad even in prehistory, it's just massively skewed because of the high mortality rates. If you made it to adulthood, you had a decent chance of reaching atleast middle age and even your 60's.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular

Actually, the human lifespan wasnt quite that bad even in prehistory, it's just massively skewed because of the high mortality rates. If you made it to adulthood, you had a decent chance of reaching atleast middle age and even your 60's.
    Did you mean "high infant-mortality rates"?

• Options
    edited April 2018

YoungFrey wrote: »

Also, did you mean to say "life expectancy"? Lifespan is just maximum age any individual has ever been observed to have obtained. It's not an average.

You know what, never mind. I don't think Tube wants us getting off on this tangent that's not really related to the comic, so I'm going to discontinue engaging in the subject.

dennis on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

Well, mortality rates were super high back then

100% of people born in pre-technological eras are now dead

Compare that to modern day

Living people everywhere

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Well, mortality rates were super high back then

100% of people born in pre-technological eras are now dead

Compare that to modern day

Living people everywhere

This math checks out.

• Options
    Well, I was specifically not discussing eugenics, which is an evil ideology and is basically the opposite of natural selection.

• Options
    ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I'm just waiting for someone to mod in ponies so I can go hoof to hoof with the most Unholy Queen Chrysalis. The Bridled Blasphemer VS. the Bug Cult ftw.

ziddersroofurry on
  • Options
    InvertinInvertin Registered User regular
    The thing is that there's evidence of prehistoric humans and even some animals going out of their way to protect and support other members of their species who can't support themselves, and those human remains were even buried with flowers.

Survival of the fittest is all well and good but unfortunately the capacity of sentient beings to care about things is much stronger and also much more important in the long run.

Plus if you're really looking at things like that you have to start defining what "fittest" actually means and you slip right into eugenics whether you want to or not.

• Options
    Invertin wrote: »
    The thing is that there's evidence of prehistoric humans and even some animals going out of their way to protect and support other members of their species who can't support themselves, and those human remains were even buried with flowers.

Survival of the fittest is all well and good but unfortunately the capacity of sentient beings to care about things is much stronger and also much more important in the long run.

Plus if you're really looking at things like that you have to start defining what "fittest" actually means and you slip right into eugenics whether you want to or not.

Survival of the fittest just means the organisms being able to do well enough to procreate. The whole idea of genetic superiority is just childish power fantasies.