As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board games] I choose poorly.

• Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    After watching the SU&SD review, I printed out the rules to Arboretum, and used the 6 suits (1-8) from Battle Line to try out the game with two players (a 4-player game uses 10 suits). If you like punchy little card games, it's an absolute gem. Super simple rules, and really tough and tricky decisions. Basically you're trying to play down cards to make increasing-value "runs" of a particular suit. But you can only score a suit if you have the highest sum of that suit in your hand. Your hand size is fixed, so it quickly gets clogged with cards you're planning to play, planning to score, or to use to keep OTHER people from scoring. Oh, and each player has their own discard pile, and anything you get rid of can be scooped up by anybody else. Leading to the inevitable, "You're giving me THAT card?!" "I've got problems over here, okay?!"

So yeah, while we're waiting for another printing (I've heard July/August?) this is an easy way to try it out.

jergarmar on
    When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Arboretum is the tits.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    If you like luring in friends with the promise of a nice game with a very pleasant theme, but really you are locking into everyone into the Thunderdome, then Arboretum is a solid choice.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    As cutthroat as Arboretum is, I have never actually felt stressed out while playing it.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I think that goes for any game about plants. Plants are Satan.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    As cutthroat as Arboretum is, I have never actually felt stressed out while playing it.

Yeah, it's funny, I feel like my biggest opponent is my own hand of cards, my own lofty but impossible vision of what I can play, score, and prevent. Losses often create feelings like, "Why did I even TRY to do that?"

jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    If anyone is going to the Megagame in Seattle today, I'll be there on Control! Hope you have a good time :D

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    The LGS my friends and I go to for 40K is also basically for any kind of tabletop and board games and has two store fronts, one for sales and one with a bunch of tables and a smaller wedge of a third front for painting supplies and models and a private rentable game room.

Best part is they have a corner with two huge bookshelves of board games people can grab and play and last night my friend randomly decided to grab a game called Happy Salmon and it is really fun and hectic and we played on a table sandwiched between two others with people playing games but the game was awesome. A friend and I walked out with a version of the game so we can do a big 12 player game when we all hang out.

We've purchased a decent amount of games after playing them for free in the store.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    If you have a copy of 6 Nimmt or any other game with a deck of cards numbered from 1-100 you should try out The Mind, which hasn't come out in English yet. It's a really fun little coop card game in which you have to play cards in ascending order, but you can't communicate. No turns, just whoever has the lowest card plays it. Each round your hands have more cards in them, so by the end your trying to play out 10-12 cards each and it gets really hard. When everyone is in sync it really feels kinda magical as the cards drop in order. The rules are on BGG, all you need is the cards and a couple tokens and something to track the rounds.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Damn, just had the longest session I've ever played so far, at ten and a half hours in a games cafe with barely any breaks. Got to play a lot of new games even (in bold).

- DC Deck building: Forever Evil (I'm bad at this)
    - Sushi Go
    - Halli Galli (also terrible at this)
    - Coup (I won, surprisingly)
    - Sheriff of Nottingham (I'm also bad at this, esp gauging the responses of the others)
    - Ra - I like this one, but a bit too cerebral with respect to the time it was played
    - Tsuro - won this because the others were too gung ho, mwahahahah
    - Incan Gold - this was an awesome filler / wind down game

Needless to say I need to play the games I'm bad at again to understand them better.

I also saw a for-playing copy of Glory to Rome... Isn't this a hard-to-find game? Maybe I should've tried it.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Damn, just had the longest session I've ever played so far, at ten and a half hours in a games cafe with barely any breaks. Got to play a lot of new games even (in bold).

- Sushi Go
    - Sheriff of Nottingham (I'm also bad at this, esp gauging the responses of the others)
    - Ra - I like this one, but a bit too cerebral with respect to the time it was played

Needless to say I need to play the games I'm bad at again to understand them better.

So often in a longer gaming session, there's one huge game that dominates the time, and often wears everybody out. I like long games too, but I appreciate a group that is willing to play a series of shorter punchy games. Looks like a blast!

jergarmar on
    My BoardGameGeek profile
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Having worked at a board game café, let me tell you about the love-hate relationship that is Hali-Gali. :P
    The game itself is a silly, delightful gem. It's not hard to teach, it gets good laughs, injury is an actual risk and there's something enthralling about that. Except it's a game that revolves around ringing a bell, rending it the most nerve-wracking game for severs and kitchen staff to be subjected to. Heh. <3

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    jergarmar wrote: »

- Sushi Go

So often in a longer gaming session, there's one huge game that dominates the time, and often wears everybody out. I like long games too, but I appreciate a group that is willing to play a series of shorter punchy games. Looks like a blast!

That was Ra for us. People were starting to feel the mental exhaustion during the game since we were probably at the 60% point of the session when we started, and we had to learn it from scratch.
    Having worked at a board game café, let me tell you about the love-hate relationship that is Hali-Gali. :P
    The game itself is a silly, delightful gem. It's not hard to teach, it gets good laughs, injury is an actual risk and there's something enthralling about that. Except it's a game that revolves around ringing a bell, rending it the most nerve-wracking game for severs and kitchen staff to be subjected to. Heh. <3

Yeah. We loved it, but at the same time there's a med/high risk of injury - we definitely got a few solid "Ows" when hands collided while reaching for the bell.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Personal experience for me was when you slam the bell, and then someone else slams your hand into the bell. The little dinger on top can really dig in. XD

• Options
    AetherAether Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    I think that goes for any game about plants. Plants are Satan.

As someone who enjoys Photosynthesis, I agree. Mean plants are mean.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Fireball Island remake kickstarter is up to $1.1 million right now. NBD.

• Options
    Movement in The Voyages of Marco Polo just sucks. Not enough that make me stop playing because everything else is so utterly satisfying, but my last two games were spent huddled near the starting area.

• Options
    GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    Movement in The Voyages of Marco Polo just sucks. Not enough that make me stop playing because everything else is so utterly satisfying, but my last two games were spent huddled near the starting area.

Yeah, that'll happen. If you don't move you can't put down tradeposts. If you don't put down tradeposts then you can't get income or access to improved city actions. If you don't get income or make use of improved city actions you won't move.

You might be tempted. There might be a route with just one city you have to hit and then you can double back onto another road. These are the whispers of devils. Double back? In the early game? That's like ten dollars more than taking a single step forward. Go forward, forward, forward. You can double back from Beijing, it's called "coming home" and by then you'll have income and improved city actions to help you.

There are games with multiple intricate interleaving strategies, where you can pick a path and follow it and things will generally work out. In The Voyages Of Marco Polo, you have to get money and you have to move.

• Options
    Glazius wrote: »

Yeah, that'll happen. If you don't move you can't put down tradeposts. If you don't put down tradeposts then you can't get income or access to improved city actions. If you don't get income or make use of improved city actions you won't move.

You might be tempted. There might be a route with just one city you have to hit and then you can double back onto another road. These are the whispers of devils. Double back? In the early game? That's like ten dollars more than taking a single step forward. Go forward, forward, forward. You can double back from Beijing, it's called "coming home" and by then you'll have income and improved city actions to help you.

There are games with multiple intricate interleaving strategies, where you can pick a path and follow it and things will generally work out. In The Voyages Of Marco Polo, you have to get money and you have to move.

Huh. Interesting point.

The first game where I slayed it was one in which I luckily derived income exclusively from contracts, giving me the notion that I didn't have to care about those pesky buildings. I'll have to pay more attention to city-based income. Thanks.

• Options
    The entirety of Marco Polo is figuring out how to travel. The puzzle of the board is different every game, and seeing the combo of which city bonuses and which character power will let you get your traveling done is the key to doing well. Neglecting travel and churning contracts is the big money of Marco Polo. It's very easy to see as a strategy and a lot of people never see past it, but the possibilities of travel plus contracts far surpass it.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Cracked open Pandemic Legacy. We're being good children and playing a couple of non legacy games first as our combined prior experience is me having played it at a stag do

Can't wait to start setting fire to components though

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Cracked open Pandemic Legacy. We're being good children and playing a couple of non legacy games first as our combined prior experience is me having played it at a stag do

Can't wait to start setting fire to components though

Legacy games are great. My group still has 3 or 4 games of Risk Legacy to do. We would be done by now but we can usually only manage one or two games before we hate each other now. The board is also a shit show because we keep doing horrible shit to it to spite each other and have basically set it up so the two secret factions can get easy wins.

It wouldn't be so bad if everyone was trying to win instead of two of us fighting each other while another friend offers to help someone win every game.

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    First timer PAX East report:

-Subway busker was playing some jazz tune on a saxophone. As soon as he saw a crowd approaching with the PAX badges he changed to a Final Fantasy song, got a few bucks from them. Smart guy.

-Run the gauntlet of badge scalpers and beggars starting from half a mile out from the convention hall.

-It seemed like 1 in 20 girls were dressed as DVa.

-Best costume goes to the Roadhog, of which I only got 2 terrible pictures of
    (right side)axrcuu65xq1u.jpg
    6bfgsr8tja91.jpg

-VR technology is still a long way from being a viable game accessory.

-I've played 50-80 games of Through the Ages on the app. While I'm terrible at it, I do appreciate its design. I sat down for a tabletop game for the first time Saturday. NEVER AGAIN. Even after all those games, my brain was hurting trying to keep track of all those rules. Sentinels of the Multiverse has nothing on TtA when it comes to "mandatory app-ness". 3 freaking hours.

-Lesson learned: save all the boardgaming for the evening, because that's all that's open past 6.

MrBody on
  • Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    Someday I will go to a PAX. :cry:

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2018

"It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one a ticket up."
    5 points if you get the reference.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    I love Matthew Broderick but I actually don't like pax and skip the con when I go

Maybe I hate crowds more than other people

Another game with that phenomenon, MrBody, is twilight struggle

I can play vs AI in like an eighth of the time an in person game takes

Also I think maybe aFaoS is better anyway

I just bought the core worlds expansions. I love that game and it's worth having my own copy of the expansions. I dunno what else to buy... my friend traded Gaia Project for Magic Maze and Tzolkin and both are pretty cool but one of our gamers is getting pretty intolerant of longer games and Tzolkin is boring him :(

sig.gif
  • Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

"It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one a ticket up."
    5 points if you get the reference.

*remains pointless and PAXless*

But someday!!!

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    I love Matthew Broderick but I actually don't like pax and skip the con when I go

I just bought the core worlds expansions. I love that game and it's worth having my own copy of the expansions. I dunno what else to buy... my friend traded Gaia Project for Magic Maze and Tzolkin and both are pretty cool but one of our gamers is getting pretty intolerant of longer games and Tzolkin is boring him :(

I've had to stop going to Gen Con because of this. And it sucks because I loved going, but as it got busier each year then the last few years got WAY busier, it was just too frustrating to be worth it for me.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

I've had to stop going to Gen Con because of this. And it sucks because I loved going, but as it got busier each year then the last few years got WAY busier, it was just too frustrating to be worth it for me.

I made it to one day of Unplugged but I kept wanting to just shut down rather than engage w/ the crowds. I was getting over being sick, which didn't help.

• Options
    MrBody wrote: »

-I've played 50-80 games of Through the Ages on the app. While I'm terrible at it, I do appreciate its design. I sat down for a tabletop game for the first time Saturday. NEVER AGAIN. Even after all those games, my brain was hurting trying to keep track of all those rules. Sentinels of the Multiverse has nothing on TtA when it comes to "mandatory app-ness". 3 freaking hours.

I think it's much better in person, but you have to play the analog version a bunch to get up to speed with the book keeping aspects etc if you're just familiar with the app version. How many players did you play with? 3 hours isn't bad for your first in person game.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Upon switching to a Samsung Galaxy S9, I reinstalled the poorly optimized Terra Mystica app. For the first time, it runs at a frame rate other than 4. Either the devs heavily optimized this app or the S9 is the only mobile device that can reach up to it.

I noticed that SUDS's husubando, Brass, has an app now too, but reviews say the tutorial is garbage.

Cantido on
  • Options
    Oh my goodness you guys, metal coins are the best. (Yeah, my friend's shipment that included my Christmas present finally arrived). Their heft and clink were so good she and my brother-in-law are strongly considering buying their owns for their games.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I still wish I could find cheap foreign or mostly unmarked currency, like yen, to use as generic metal coins. Board game coins are so expensive, and the only ones I have currently are medieval.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Miniongames has amazing metal coins that are highly similar to Galaxy Trucker's rectangular credits. I used them for Netrunner.

• Options
    AetherAether Registered User regular
    Got to play the first two games of Charterstone last night. Definitely enjoying it so far. I may have got a bit overboard building and opening crates, but it's so fun. I've only got one space in my charter left, but from what I can gather, this shouldn't be a problem.

Also played Dinosaur Island recently. As a fan of worker placements / action selection it ticks a lot of boxes for me. Haven't managed to win after a couple of plays, but my second score was definitely better than my first. The random Plot Twists/Objectives meant that both games played differently.

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Advanced our Pandemic: Legacy S2 campaign on Saturday night. We lost May.
    We are finding it real hard to get the Supply Centers down. We often end up with one or two plague cubes on the board during initial infections, which really sets us on the back foot - and that only gets worse as the campaign proceeds and the grid grows. We still haven't recon'd Europe or Africa, but we did finally open up the Middle East - which introduced the Hollow Men. By the end of the game, they were responsible for several cities becoming Forsaken (we decided to spend some points re-upping London so we have the chance to explore from there next game.

It's getting hard to figure out a solid strategy, and the HM are an added wrinkle we really didn't need.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    We are finding it real hard to get the Supply Centers down. We often end up with one or two plague cubes on the board during initial infections, which really sets us on the back foot - and that only gets worse as the campaign proceeds and the grid grows. We still haven't recon'd Europe or Africa, but we did finally open up the Middle East - which introduced the Hollow Men. By the end of the game, they were responsible for several cities becoming Forsaken (we decided to spend some points re-upping London so we have the chance to explore from there next game.

It's getting hard to figure out a solid strategy, and the HM are an added wrinkle we really didn't need.
    Are you searching cities? You should've found some help by now.

But yeah dwindling supplies is a nuisance.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

Just remember (rules spoiler for where you are at in the campaign):
    Hollow Men placement doesn't remove supply cubes or add Plague. There are some groups that forget this, and... well, it doesn't go well for them.

Also, you don't get Hollow Men until after the first Epidemic. We forgot this rule for one month, and it was a bit costly for us.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    Lending a few party games to some non-gamer friends who are spending the weekend at a cabin. 5-6 people. Currently lending: Time's Up Title Recall and Monikers, Codenames, Spyfall, and One Night Ultimate Werewold. Would Mysterium/Deception: murder in Hong Kong be reasonable with no experienced player to explain? Any other recommendations?

• Options
    I feel there's a few issues with Mysterium's rulebook, and a weird mechanic with the guessing of other players' guesses that could trip people up. Haven't played Deception but that feels simpler theoretically.

This discussion has been closed.