As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 5E] Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a off line initiative tracker?

http://critgames.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/5th-Ed-Encounter-Sheet-v5.png

Oh sorry i meant an executable i can run on the computer that i could save encounters into and have it spit out order.

steam_sig.png
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Use a pencil ya dang youngin's!!! :biggrin:

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I like initiative where the players all have folded bits of paper with their character names on them, and then the monsters use different folded bits of paper.

Rather than writing numbers down you just arrange them in initiative order.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I like initiative where the players all have folded bits of paper with their character names on them, and then the monsters use different folded bits of paper.

3.5 index cards are perfect for this and it is how I used to track init at cons. If you just flip through them in imitative order it does have the problem the players can't tell if they're next and prepare though.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

3.5 index cards are perfect for this and it is how I used to track init at cons. If you just flip through them in imitative order it does have the problem the players can't tell if they're next and prepare though.

This is what I do.

I have each player put together their card with their name in large print on one side, and some key stats on the other. (E.g., in 3.X D&D, I'd have MaxHP, the various common AC flavors (adventuring, sleeping, touch, FF, etc.), Init, Saving Throws, and Hubris score.)

• RendRend Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

This is what I do.

I have each player put together their card with their name in large print on one side, and some key stats on the other. (E.g., in 3.X D&D, I'd have MaxHP, the various common AC flavors (adventuring, sleeping, touch, FF, etc.), Init, Saving Throws, and Hubris score.)

...hubris score...?

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Rend wrote: »

This is what I do.

...hubris score...?

"Thought you knew everything, eh?"

Rend +1 Hubris.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • RendRend Registered User regular

This is what I do.

...hubris score...?

Rend +1 Hubris.

I'm going to have the highest hubris score ever known, higher even than the gods

• iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular

This is what I do.

...hubris score...?

Rend +1 Hubris.

I'm going to have the highest hubris score ever known, higher even than the gods

So on a scale of 1 to Achilles, where would you say you'd fall?

edited April 2018

This is what I do.

...hubris score...?

Can't remember where I stole it from, but basically ...

Rolling character stats is too random, point-buy systems end up with kinda samey characters, and I don't really care for "standard arrays," so from time-to-time, I'll tell my players to just pick whatever stats they want for their characters.

... but ...

Having done so, they need to convert their base stats into the appropriate point-buy values, subtract ... I think 32 is what I usually used ... and tell me the remainder. That was their Hubris score.

Then, whenever I need to pick a random character for "bad things happen to you" (who triggered the trap, who's asleep when the assassins strike, who does the enemy spellcaster center the fireball on, etc.), I pick the character with the highest current Hubris score and decrease it by 1. Once everyone gets to 0 (which basically never happens), they reset.

Elvenshae on

This is what I do.

This is something I'm very glad that did away with. Sure, maybe it made sense logically, but it was F'n annoying to use in practice.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular

This is what I do.

...hubris score...?

Rolling character stats is too random, point-buy systems end up with kinda samey characters, and I don't really care for "standard arrays," so from time-to-time, I'll tell my players to just pick whatever stats they want for their characters.

... but ...

Having done so, they need to convert their base stats into the appropriate point-buy values, subtract ... I think 32 is what I usually used ... and tell me the remainder. That was their Hubris score.

Then, whenever I need to pick a random character for "bad things happen to you" (who triggered the trap, who's asleep when the assassins strike, who does the enemy spellcaster center the fireball on, etc.), I pick the character with the highest current Hubris score and decrease it by 1. Once everyone gets to 0 (which basically never happens), they reset.

Oh look some magnificent targeting mechanics to steal

• CampyCampy Registered User regular

This is what I do.

...hubris score...?

... but ...

Hahah, that's awesome. Do your players know of this system or their scores?

Campy wrote: »

This is what I do.

...hubris score...?

... but ...

Hahah, that's awesome. Do your players know of this system or their scores?

They know their scores, because they all have to say them out loud at the end of character creation.

I'm very vague about what, exactly, I do with it.

I find that it tends to result in players who self-police around giving themselves outlandish stats ("3", "4", "2", "12", everyone stares), and if they don't, well, then I get to play with it.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    iguanacus wrote: »

This is what I do.

...hubris score...?

Rend +1 Hubris.

Troy.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »

This is what I do.

...hubris score...?

Rend +1 Hubris.

Troy.

So what, like 0.6 of an Achilles?

discrider wrote: »

This is what I do.

...hubris score...?

Rend +1 Hubris.

Troy.

Joke explanation: spoilered for lameness.
    Achilles died (fell) at Troy by a poisoned arrow from Paris.

Eh? Eehhhh.

If you have to explain it. It wasn't funny. :P

He who laughs last didn't get the joke.

steam_sig.png
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited April 2018

This is what I do.

...hubris score...?

Rend +1 Hubris.

Troy.

Eh? Eehhhh.

Did he?
    I don't remember that.
    All I remember is him getting really upset and fighting because his best friend died because he wouldn't fight.

I thought you meant Paris too :(

Apparently the Iliad (aka by me How Achilles let his best friend die) doesn't include the death of Achilles.
    Still, I probably should have expected the DnD thread to have read mythological texts more widely than I.

discrider on

This is what I do.

...hubris score...?

Rend +1 Hubris.

Troy.

No, in Avoirdupois.

I'm in PAX East line to play D&D Adventurer League at 1pm est. Anyone else?

steam_sig.png
    I've wanted to go to PAX for a while now, but haven't made it yet. Enjoy!

Well that was quite interesting, hadn't done adventure league before. We raced dinosaurs and faught in gladiatorial combat. One of the people at the table tried to run away with the prize gem and the DM shut that down lol. My wife enjoyed herself and had been very anxious about it in the lead up so that's a great bonus.

steam_sig.png

This is what I do.

...hubris score...?

Rend +1 Hubris.

Troy.

Eh? Eehhhh.

Did he?
    I don't remember that.
    All I remember is him getting really upset and fighting because his best friend died because he wouldn't fight.

I thought you meant Paris too :(

Apparently the Iliad (aka by me How Achilles let his best friend die) doesn't include the death of Achilles.
    Still, I probably should have expected the DnD thread to have read mythological texts more widely than I.

I watched the movie with Brad Pitt... :(

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Over on ENWorld I'm seeing a multitude of "what would a 5E Warlord be like" threads. Mike Mearls himself apparently mused on making it into a Fighter subclass like the Battle Master.

I'm not even sure how to interpret it into 5E. It's main shtick in 4E was letting characters move or attack outside their own turn, but I have no idea how that would work out in 5E.

BTW, Mearls also recently put out a poll asking what trait of the Druid class people find most essential (spells, animal companion, or wildshape). Wildshape is currently winning, but who knows what impact this will have.

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Warlords could get a bunch of powers that allowed allies to use their reaction. They could also find unique ways to grant advantage.

Basically “bonus action: an ally may make an attack with advantage against any creature you hit this turn”

Except that it should be a ranger and not a fighter subclass as full attack scaling could be an issue

wbBv3fj.png
    With Mastermind as a Rogue subclass I'm not sure what would set a warlord apart from a mastermind.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    BTW, Mearls also recently put out a poll asking what trait of the Druid class people find most essential (spells, animal companion, or wildshape). Wildshape is currently winning, but who knows what impact this will have.

*Gestures wildly at 13th Age*

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Wildshape is pretty much the only thing unique to Druids soooooo

• AbbalahAbbalah Registered User regular
    With Mastermind as a Rogue subclass I'm not sure what would set a warlord apart from a mastermind.

I don't think 5e has the mechanical resolution necessary to implement a Warlord in a satisfying way. The whole reason the class is popular is that it's basically the mascot for 'look at all the cool stuff you can do with 4e's granular tactical combat system'.

It is literally the Tactical Commander Guy, for the player who wants to carefully tweak battlefield positioning for optimum synergy while providing buff modifiers, managing auras, and setting up cross-character power combos. 5e, by design, doesn't encourage any of that shit to exist in a relevant way. You'd either be intentionally trying to design at cross-purposes with the system's own design philosophy or you'd be providing a watered-down imitation of the class that doesn't deliver on any of the things that made it compelling the first time around.

• SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    I'm unreasonably excited. As an eternal DM currently running 3 groups (Only one of which regularly) I'm itching to play, and a my local game store has recently started fortnightly Adventurers League play. Woo.

Of course now I'm paralysed with choice when it comes to making my character. It looks like a Bugbear Paladin is AL legal - give him a halberd and he has a 15ft reach! Seems a little munchkiny but who knows? Anyhoo, looking forward to it.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    I don't know if this is old hat or not, but I just stumbled on this patreon, Dyson Logos. This guy makes black and white maps (with and without grids) and posts them for free (no subscription required). They're really great quality, and I've thrown a few into roll20 and added dynamic lighting to them very easily.

• IvelliusIvellius Registered User regular
    Abbalah wrote: »
    I don't think 5e has the mechanical resolution necessary to implement a Warlord in a satisfying way. The whole reason the class is popular is that it's basically the mascot for 'look at all the cool stuff you can do with 4e's granular tactical combat system'.

It is literally the Tactical Commander Guy, for the player who wants to carefully tweak battlefield positioning for optimum synergy while providing buff modifiers, managing auras, and setting up cross-character power combos. 5e, by design, doesn't encourage any of that shit to exist in a relevant way. You'd either be intentionally trying to design at cross-purposes with the system's own design philosophy or you'd be providing a watered-down imitation of the class that doesn't deliver on any of the things that made it compelling the first time around.

One problem with that is Mearls provided a unique mechanic that seems to make a lot of sense in his Happy Fun Hour streams (starting like...a month ago?) that seems to capture the flavor...but then he tried tying it to the Fighter chassis as an archetype there.

I would also say that Superiority Dice and an aura mechanic work to provide a lot of what a 5e Warlord should look like, but that was the route I took a while back so I might be a little biased.

I think there's plenty of room in 5e for "martial support character" if people (read, primarily: Mearls) would just try to design it and be open to feedback and input on it.

Me elsewhere:
    Steam, various fora: Ivellius
    League of Legends: Doctor Ivellius
    Twitch, probably another place or two I forget: LPIvellius
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    You do it with the Battlemaster. You hit the monster and pick a thing, but instead the next ally to hit that monster adds whatever you did instead.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    My character got strength drained to death by a shadow. RIP.

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    My group had its first session since the implosion and recruitment of a few new players. The party arrived at a town run by a thug pretending to be nobility. The group spent about half an hour brainstorming potential schemes to help the town revolt. I put forth a few different ideas, but my favorite was to foment a rebellion by putting up posters all over town saying "JOIN THE FIST" with a picture of a fist (it's a reference to an episode of The Office). The idea was that the thug would have his spymaster try to kidnap me, the "ringleader" of the Fist, and we could trap him and get some information we needed. Incidentally, nobody in our party is a Monk. For some reason, nobody else seemed very interested in that plan so we pursued a different one.

After the session one of the players mentioned coming up with a name for the group, and the decision was unanimous, to our DM's chagrin. Now we're all coming up with various fist-related battle cries and ways to work fists into things. My GOO Lock, for instance, is going to start calling himself the Fist of the Dawn Star, and his Eldritch Blasts involve him punching the air to create the effect. So we have our first inside joke of the campaign.

Remember, if they threaten to kill you, say "You can cut off a finger, but the Fist remains!"

For the first time since my early 20's I have reached out to group of similar aged nerds that I know that have expressed interest in D&D, at various kids birthday parties or lame ass kid friendly new years parties, etc. On setting up a game.

I spend the weekend tracking down email addresses and am about to send an official invite to form a D&D group tonight.

I am unreasonably nervous about this. My sphere of IRL nerdom is very small. My long time group has our own way of doing things (social interaction-wise, not really rules wise) and I don't know how this going to work with a new set of people. Assuming this actually works, that is. Soft interest from friends of friends is not the same as "Tuesday at Bob's house, I'll bring the beer!"

Wish me luck.

• MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    Just remember to ask the important question when the time is nigh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDDZyq_7AzM

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png