As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DCEU] launched a streaming service which has Young Justice S3

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Sadly no

it will be sorely missed

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    the next film will just be 150 minutes in crime alley

When the pearls fall in the middle, it will flashback to the whole thing from Joe Chill's perspective, and then flashback again when he fires the gun so we don't forget what happened at the beginning of the movie.

The entire movie is flashbacks from different people's perspective. First it's from Burce's, than his parents, than Joe Chill. Than the movie gets weird and is from the perspective of the gun, than the strand of pearls, than the alleyway itself.

Alan Burnett actually pitched a very interesting story idea for Batman: The Animated Series. The episode would have been about the history of a gun, from when it was made, through different people who used it, to when Joe Chill used it to kill the Waynes, and finally ending with it getting melted down.

That could have been a good episode.

Viskod on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    Shazam is still a 12 year old kid or something right? The could have Superman be a bit of a mentor to him as Stark is to Spider-Man in Homecoming.

It would also be a nice way to subtly shift Superman back into what he should be, instead of the angsty grimdark Snyderverse version.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

When the pearls fall in the middle, it will flashback to the whole thing from Joe Chill's perspective, and then flashback again when he fires the gun so we don't forget what happened at the beginning of the movie.

The entire movie is flashbacks from different people's perspective. First it's from Burce's, than his parents, than Joe Chill. Than the movie gets weird and is from the perspective of the gun, than the strand of pearls, than the alleyway itself.

Alan Burnett actually pitched a very interesting story idea for Batman: The Animated Series. The episode would have been about the history of a gun, from when it was made, through different people who used it, to when Joe Chill used it to kill the Waynes, and finally ending with it getting melted down.

They made this, but as background advertising for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYCl7_bDbZs
    Watch it, it's GREAT.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Why can't WB make movies like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W_FJzb2Fac

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Good news: the Batgirl project is still alive post-Whedon, and has gotten a writer.

Bad news: the writer, Christina Hodson is doing the Bumblebee Transformers spin-off and her other credits have been for crap films.

http://ew.com/movies/2018/04/09/dc-batgirl-movie-christina-hodson/

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular

And somehow Ra's al Ghul and/or Jonah Hex would have been involved.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular

And somehow Ra's al Ghul and/or Jonah Hex would have been involved.

For maximum contrivance, you could throw in a Batman Beyond tie-in, where it's the gun that both creates and ends Batman.

• MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Man, the old school DCAU was so cool. I was lucky to be a kid for it- I'm pretty sure that's the reason I love these characters today.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    The 90s were my 20s... which means that I'd already seen a few different animated (and comic book) versions of those characters by the time BTAS and then STAS came out. IMO they hold up just as well for an adult viewer; and have the advantage over their source in that they can pull from decades of history and story to use just the best parts, craft the definitive or essential version (YMMV), rather than get bogged down in all the pointless Big Events and other stunts whose sole purpose is to sell more copies, and the endless soap-opera cruft and bullshit that's accumulated over the years, clogging the creative arteries.

Commander Zoom on
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    The 90s were my 20s... which means that I'd already seen a few different animated (and comic book) versions of those characters by the time BTAS and then STAS came out. IMO they hold up just as well for an adult viewer; and have the advantage over their source in that they can pull from decades of history and story to use just the best parts, craft the definitive or essential version (YMMV), rather than get bogged down in all the pointless Big Events and other stunts whose sole purpose is to sell more copies, and the endless soap-opera cruft and bullshit that's accumulated over the years, clogging the creative arteries.

I used to think like that about the DCAU, and it still holds a place in my heart but the animation side has thankfully evolved past that. This is why I rate Young Justice superior to that. It has greater depth, far more ambitious plot lines, better writing etc.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    the thing the DCAU stuff has going for it is that it's simple enough to age pretty well; it's not as good as some modern animation work obviously but it's also obvious where care went into it, and it doesn't do a lot of the stuff some of it's contemporaries did that now seems hopelessly dated (a lot of the early computer animation stuff is just, yeesh)

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Both Batman and Superman's animated series had some pretty amazing artwork and animation. Batman was one of the only animated shows to be drawn on a black background instead of white. Most of the STAS animation was done by the same studio that made Akira. All pretty groundbreaking IMO. I'm pretty sure both were using traditional animation. they only switched to computer animation with Batman Beyond and JL.

I wonder how WB/DC will react/panic now that ticket presales for the latest Avengers movie are now the highest ever, and higher than the last seven Marvel movies combined.

Other than, y'know, drinking heavily.

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I wonder how WB/DC will react/panic now that ticket presales for the latest Avengers movie are now the highest ever, and higher than the last seven Marvel movies combined.

Other than, y'know, drinking heavily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcZzlPGnKdU

It wouldn't surprise me if Avengers does Justice League's entire global run in just a weekend, domestically.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I am a huge fan of everything Marvel does, and you know what? I really, sincerely, truly hope that some people at DC/WB take a good, long, hard, introspective look at what they're doing, why they're doing it, and do better. I have friends who are ten times the DC fans that they are Marvel fans, and I want them to have really fun, solid representations of characters and plots they love on the big screen too.

I have seen every DC movie to date, and yes, I am skeptical of them righting their course and succeeding to such a degree, but I would be pleasantly surprised if they did. If I could join my friends for a film with a little less reluctance (yes, Wonder Woman helped), and have TWO (or more!) comic movie franchises to be excited for.

The tribalistic sniping (in general, I'm not accusing of anyone here of that) found on so many ends of the internet, be they politics or religion or fandom of Harry Potter houses or whatever, is so very tiresome, and in the same way I hope some of the fans also manage to rise above and do a little introspection of their own.

But I'll still be avoiding the internet like the plague from release to when I actually am in a theater for Infinity War, because assholes gonna asshole.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    It wouldn't surprise me if Avengers does Justice League's entire global run in just a weekend, domestically.
    Though given the rumored budget ($1B over the two parts), it kind of has to.

I mean, I've got faith in it being an entertaining movie, regardless of any flaws. And the continued success of Marvel movies make it a reasonable gamble. But god damn, that's a lot of money to put into a movie (or in this case, a pair of).

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'd rather they take a look at what their TV shows are doing.
    Legends spoiler:
    The Legends just took out a demon by combining their powers into a giant Cuddle Me-Beebo, for god's sake.
    And it was awesome.
    It piledrived him into the ground from a hundred feet, going "Wheeeeeeee!" the whole way down, and left a blue heart-shaped explosion.
    Embrace the absurdity, and make it work for you!

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    I am a huge fan of everything Marvel does, and you know what? I really, sincerely, truly hope that some people at DC/WB take a good, long, hard, introspective look at what they're doing, why they're doing it, and do better. I have friends who are ten times the DC fans that they are Marvel fans, and I want them to have really fun, solid representations of characters and plots they love on the big screen too.

I have seen every DC movie to date, and yes, I am skeptical of them righting their course and succeeding to such a degree, but I would be pleasantly surprised if they did. If I could join my friends for a film with a little less reluctance (yes, Wonder Woman helped), and have TWO (or more!) comic movie franchises to be excited for.

The tribalistic sniping (in general, I'm not accusing of anyone here of that) found on so many ends of the internet, be they politics or religion or fandom of Harry Potter houses or whatever, is so very tiresome, and in the same way I hope some of the fans also manage to rise above and do a little introspection of their own.

But I'll still be avoiding the internet like the plague from release to when I actually am in a theater for Infinity War, because assholes gonna asshole.

I agree, and honestly I think the whole DC vs. Marvel thing is overblown to a very large degree. The vast majority of people do not read the comics, and only consume the movies as part of a larger mass media phenomenon. They don't care about whether something is DC or Marvel. They care about whether something is good.

I'm a good example of this. I don't read the comics, and likely never will. My main exposure to the DC stable is from the cartoons while growing up. My main exposure to Marvel was, similarly, the X-Men cartoons while growing up. As an adult, my main exposure to DC and Marvel properties is via the movies.

And the only reason I am even peripherally aware of the distinction is as a matter of brand recognition. I know that Marvel movies will generally be good-to-great. I know that DC movies, post-TDK, will generally be bad-to-mediocre. That's really all that this boils down to from a mainstream perspective. A Marvel "fanboy" can talk smack about DC movies until he is blue in the face, but that has almost no bearing on whether or not a Marvel movie is actually considered good by everyone else.

It reminds me of the console wars. As a consumer, the only reason to "pick a side" is because you have a limited amount of money and you are necessarily being forced into choosing exclusive titles. But other than that, as a consumer what you really want is for as many consoles to be viable as possible, because more competition serves to generate better, more widely-available games at lower prices for everyone. Being "loyal" to a particular brand is ridiculous in that context, and only serves to lessen competition in the market.

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Comics have a lot more to latch onto than the consoles. Instead of games and online services, comics offer characters and settings. They get into it and at the core of it they're not wanting Marvel or DC to do well, they want the character to do well and the character's world to thrive. Having people and places you like (even if imaginary) threatened is a great way to get the blood pumping.

The whole thing is sad because I think there are certain areas of DC's line that are far superior to anything that Marvel has, but with DC's inability to adapt even the more mainstream stuff to the screen in a non-horrible way I know there's not a chance in hell of them doing a good job with any of the Vertigo stuff.

Constantine wasn't bad, but it felt vaguely sanitized. Like the difference between Judge Dredd and Dredd. They're both R, but only Dredd feels authentic in what it's trying to show.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
    What sucks is that there are likely very few people who are obnoxiously partisan about these flicks to the point they're jerks to strangers online. But as Goobergate proved, all you need are a few thousand very motivated assholes to completely stink up the joint.

And given the apparently massive spoilers in the Avengers movie, I'm braced for these assholes to be shouting them from the digital rooftops, just to annoy other people.

Ah well. I know I've done my fair share of dunking on the DC movies, but that's because they're terrible and the studio's been bafflingly incompetent. And that probably fuels the trolls, since too many people take criticism of something they like as a personal attack. If, say, Aquaman finally manages to break through and be good, I'll definitely applaud the movie and the studio possibly getting its shit together.

Though that probably won't calm down the trolls.

I would be ecstatic if DC corrected course, I'm just not sure it's possible with the current iteration of the DCU.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Steven Spielberg tapped to produce, maybe direct a Blackhawks movie.

It's actually right up his alley, either taking place in the past during WWII or even for modern times (they could make the Blackhawks similar to what they were during Our Worlds At War and be this elite fighter squad with the classiest planes to fight modern meta threats, a nd just ignore the nu52 stuff), the only thing of note is they may be pushing more on the lead character (Blackhawk) as opposed to the team aspect.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I was in a superhero mood from Infinity War yesterday, so I rented Justice League last night to finally watch it. It was so thoroughly "meh"... Very rushed, and barely coherent IMO. I enjoyed Aquaman a lot though, so I have a tiny bit of hope in his movie. The Flash was OK, but my god he looks so dumb when he's running.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Steven Spielberg tapped to produce, maybe direct a Blackhawks movie.

It's actually right up his alley, either taking place in the past during WWII or even for modern times (they could make the Blackhawks similar to what they were during Our Worlds At War and be this elite fighter squad with the classiest planes to fight modern meta threats, a nd just ignore the nu52 stuff), the only thing of note is they may be pushing more on the lead character (Blackhawk) as opposed to the team aspect.

I watched Porco Rosso for the first time last month, and spent the next day imagining how I'd go about doing a Blackhawks movie in a similar vein. So, I'm excited about the potential of a Spielberg backed adaptation.

But... I don't think a modern telling has a good enough hook. The Blackhawks whole deal is being a vigilante-air force of people who want to fight them some Nazis (Blackhawk and Stan are Polish, André is French, Olaf - Swedish, Hendrickson - German, Chuck - American, and Chop-Chop - Problematic). That's kind of WWII dependant.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    They should just call him/her Chopper.

• Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I would watch a Booster Gold movie. I don't really care who's in it or who makes it.

Fine, fine, I will do both. I will fix everything.

And will start by not making Booster Canadian anymore I mean really WTF of all the things in the New52.......

Only reason they did that so that they could name the book Justice League International without having 1/3 of the members being American and the rest being Z-list characters. (The obvious solution of course is not naming the book Justice League International.)

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited April 2018

Wish granted?

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

Wish granted?

That's gotta make some WB execs mad. IW did everything that JL did, only better in every sense of the word.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    The difference being, they didn't rush the hell out of Infinity War.

Also, didn't Avengers almost make JL's domestic run this weekend? Was it global? Pretty crazy either way.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Hopefully someone in DC/WB figures out people don't want grimdark for the sake of grimdark. Its ok for superheroes to have fun, damn it.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Hopefully someone in DC/WB figures out people don't want grimdark for the sake of grimdark. Its ok for superheroes to have fun, damn it.

They will probably take the wrong lesson from it.
    WB exec: This clearly means we should kill off a bunch of superheroes in a movie!

edited April 2018
    To Box Office Mojo!

JL's entire domestic take was $229 million.

Infinity War made $258 million just this weekend, and $630 million worldwide. Both records.

Sooooo yeah. Guessing a few WB execs are having liquid lunches today.

cloudeagle on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    I think the DC movies are largely bad, but I don't blame the grimdark. I really don't want the DC movies to just turn into reskinned marvel. It's nice to have another flavour of superheroism in theatres. They just need to make them not garbage.

What they need to do is listen to a cinematographer explain how you can massage a person's emotions and expectations based on contrasts between color shades and use of light and shadow, and then extrapolate that to apply to character writing.

Like, Grim dark can be really good for a lot of characters under certain circumstances (I'm pretty sure it's impossible to tell an upbeat story set in ww1 trenches or at Bergen belsen) and for certain characters it's pretty much where they live (Batman, constantine, suicide squad, etc.) but that doesn't mean that you should do this all the time for all of your characters because doing so betrays their core identites; Clark is ultimately a character rooted in optimism (he chooses to help people because it's the right thing to do with no expectation of reward) and temperance (he avoids using his powers for frivolous reasons or completely obliterating people even though it's well within his power do so).

Also: They need to stop making movies about batman, since their over reliance on him is crippling their ability to develop any other character.

I think the DC movies are largely bad, but I don't blame the grimdark. I really don't want the DC movies to just turn into reskinned marvel. It's nice to have another flavour of superheroism in theatres. They just need to make them not garbage.

Like I said in my last post, the decision to make everything grimdark serious business ultimately cripples the majority of the characters that they have tried to use.

And it's because they've chosen to develop it in this way that makes it hard to get into the movie we wind up seeing all the myriad problems with the movies' plot. Things like "why are katana, the joker and captaion boomerang in this film, they're doing basically nothing of note other then padding out the length of the film and distracting me from the people who are actually doing things." or "what the fuck is going on with papa kent? is he trying to make his character a sociopath?" or "Why did batman murder a shit ton of people to steal the kryptonite when he could have aquired it in a far more interesting way by stealing it from lexcorp?"

And no, i don't think DC should just copy marvel, but this whole stupid objectivist slanted continuity needs to get burned to the ground.

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Those, to me, are just examples of bad writing, and not necessarily tone missteps. But we may be meaning different things when we say 'grimdark'.

To me it's about tone, the tone they're trying to convey in the DC universe: that things aren't all fine and dandy, that the heroes can mess up, that they're imperfect and that people die, that the stuff these people have to go through kind of sucks, that hard decisions lead to hard outcomes, and that things aren't really all that funny when the world is on the line, etc., is generally fine with me. I don't need all of my super hero movies to be action-comedies like they are in the marvel universe. Marvel fills that niche just fine.

But that doesn't excuse bad writing, which the DCU has in SPADES. They now also have their own reputation to hurdle, which invites closer scrutiny of the writing. And that baggage is going to weigh down any new films. They pretty much need to reboot.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Yeah there's more going wrong in the DC movies than just the "grimdark". A lot of it boils down to basic execution and competence across the board. The writing is bad. The direction is bad. The cinematography is bad. Like, having a washed-out visual tone is definitely a thing that can be done, and done well. It's just not done well in these cases.

And I think the source for a lot of that lies in having a creative lead who, as an example, only understands deconstruction as a straight read of narrative storytelling, rather than as an intentional contrast. There are very clear, consistent choices in terms of writing and direction that point to a creative vision that conflates style with substance.

edited April 2018
    cloudeagle was warned for this.
    There's a difference between dark and grimdark. The difference being that grimdark is when things are absolutely over the top, relentless, humorless and ultimately pointless. Grimdark is everything Snyder somehow thinks is cool about comics. On the other hand, Nolan's Batman trilogy is effectively dark, yet it still has occasional splashes of color, jokes and moments to breathe. Hell, Infinity War [NOPE! Do not discuss IW here - SIG]

Man of Steel was getting fairly grimdark. Batman v Superman is grimdark. This is perfect grimdark:

https://youtu.be/pqv_LUStxDw

But I'll agree that DC's problem, at least now, isn't just grimdark. Justice League wasn't grimdark (although apparently it was going to be under Snyder until he got shitcanned), it was a gigantic mess. Granted that could have been because the movie took a complete 180 during development, but the end result is just a gigantic mess with no real emotional core or development.

We'll see if DC can manage to correct itself with Aquaman, since that's the first one to come post-Snyder. (Wonder Woman was very good, but I'd argue it suffered a bit with Snyder touches that crept in.) Or it could be the execs are still pushing stylistic things or surface details that come at the expense of an actually good story. We'll just have to see.

So It Goes on
This discussion has been closed.