As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

STEAM into 2018!

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    That post is a rollercoaster of emotions.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    This is an earnest question with no judging going on here: what do y'all who are super excited for Battletech see in it

I know nothing about the series and just finally looked up some gameplay videos and it's doing nothing for me, it just looks overly complex, unsatisfying, and visually pretty ugly, it doesn't really seem to have what I'm looking for in a strategy game

But I'd like to hear about why I'm wrong! Maybe I'm coming at it the wrong way!

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    This is an earnest question with no judging going on here: what do y'all who are super excited for Battletech see in it

I know nothing about the series and just finally looked up some gameplay videos and it's doing nothing for me, it just looks overly complex, unsatisfying, and visually pretty ugly, it doesn't really seem to have what I'm looking for in a strategy game

But I'd like to hear about why I'm wrong! Maybe I'm coming at it the wrong way!

First subjectively I'm 1000% the target market. I put down the Imperial Knight model kit I am building to write this post. I'm reading a novel about knightly mech combat right now. Last week I finished painting my Battletech miniatures by dullcoating them after carefully applying House Liao and Shin Legion stickers to each of them.

It's mechs and turn based tactics in the Battletech setting, which is all things I like.

Now, stepping away from myself and thinking why the average person should be interested in it.

It's being done by Hairbrained Schemes which did the Shadowrun games, which means I expect it to have good writing, good characters, and a good story. I also expect there to be good commitment by the team towards race and gender diversity in the story based on what I've seen so far and their work on Death From Above. So I'm excited about it from a story and narrative perspective.

As a strategy game I'm excited about it for two reasons. First, the meta level strategy should be good. Running and maintaining a mercenary company, when executed well, is always ripe for meta level strategy. The battletech setting also lends itself to this well as maintaining and customizing these ancient weapons of war usually gives you tons of great options. From a tactics perspective I am excited because much like the tabletop game, the focus is on maneuver and positioning, the most interesting aspects of tactics. Speed gives evasion, facing gives access to different targets, manipulation of turn sequencing lets you play with tempo, etc.

Aesthetics are subjective, I think the mechs look wonderful and the game looks great. Complexity is also very subjective, I think the game looks pretty streamlined, approachable, and straight forward. Based on how they simplified Shadowrun (a horrifically complex game) for their computer game, based on what I've seen so far for Btech I see a similar level of streamlining of another clunky system (that I still enjoy and play to this day, mind you).

That's my best crack at an answer for you, but it's hard for me because of how subjectively this game is a through armor crit on my central torso directly into my fusion reactor.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Oh wait, is this an adaptation of a tabletop game?

That makes way more sense, then

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Oh wait, is this an adaptation of a tabletop game?

That makes way more sense, then

Yeah, it's an adaptation of a tabletop game that has been running since 1984. New products and stories are still coming out for it. It has been brought into videogame form in a variety of ways in the past, but typically as First Person mech piloting or Third Person mech piloting action type games. Mechwarrior, Mechassault, Battlepods, etc.

HBS take on the gameplay is very, VERY divorced from how it plays as a tabletop game to the point where they are pretty much entirely distinct entities (that are set in the same setting, universe, and timeline (though HBS wisely chose a time and area that has little written about it so they can do their own thing).

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    the best part of battletech is the feeling you get when you take an auto cannon shot at a dire wolf and hit then roll you hit location... head... critical damage... woops you should not have stored extra ammo there!

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    @Mr. G I would caution against just writing it off as "people are only excited because they're fans of what it's based on", although there's definitely a lot of hype coming from the established base. It honestly looks like a pretty great turn-based small-unit tactical vehicle on vehicle game, and the single-player campaign's unit management aspects sound like it'll be challenging but interesting.

It might help to explain if you described what kind of strategy games you do like. Like, I could go on about what looks exciting about it in a general sense, but if you liked Front Mission (kind of a Japanese counterpart series made by Square-Enix) and not this, then the answer becomes different. Or, say, comparing it to X-Com, or an RTS.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    aw, that's cute. I have the grimmkin charm active; sat on a bench; then alt-tabbed for a minute. When I came back the grimmkin had settled on the ground at my feet.

• Options
    Front Mission is the shit.

XCOM is alright.

I’m kind of expecting Btech to be better than both.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    I may get it because I want another Mission Force: Cyberstorm

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Out of the Front Mission series, I've only ever played the third, back on the PS1, but it was really fun. Story didn't do much for me, but the game was great.

I have had X-Com: Enemy Unknown for a very long time, but still haven't gotten around to playing it yet.

Cyberstorm is part of the Earthsiege/Starseige/Tribes meta-series, right? I've heard really good stuff about that series (I know Tycho/Jerry is a big fan) but I don't think I've ever played any of them.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    yeah, the end of Cyberstorm 2 sets up the ... jump-gate network? that the Tribes ancestors used.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    I may get it because I want another Mission Force: Cyberstorm

Still one of my all time favorite games. Got my disk around here somewhere...

q5jY8Yh.png

<3

EDIT: And also...
    meoMo0h.png

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I'm playing Into the Breach with the Zenith Guard, and the whole game just clicked together hard. Like, every configuration of every map is just endless varieties of sick combos. You guys, I...I think I might be a genius.

Edit: never mind, everything is on fire, I am a dangerous idiot who shouldn't be allowed to use silverware.

this is the most succinct description of this game I have read

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I'm playing Into the Breach with the Zenith Guard, and the whole game just clicked together hard. Like, every configuration of every map is just endless varieties of sick combos. You guys, I...I think I might be a genius.

Edit: never mind, everything is on fire, I am a dangerous idiot who shouldn't be allowed to use silverware.

Into the Breach sounds like it is just this every time I hear about it.
    IYbzo8K.jpg

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    oh hey since it came out

I have my doubts about voice work being all that expensive for a AAA company

like, there was a voice actor strike not too long ago

and I'm willing to bet there's still problems

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I love that that Gundam picture has been posted in here something like four times now since ITB launched.

It never stops being funny and entirely accurate.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    A lot of the reason I'm excited for Battletech is definitely because of the universe.

Mechwarrrior 2 was one of the first PC games I ever played and I devoured all the Battletech novels I could get my hands on at the library. I love the sprawling space drama, giant robots, and all the tactical minutae that comes with managing a mech. As stated above, HBS has a a good track record, but they also have the original creator, Jordan Weisman, onboard, and one of their goals has been to rethink Battletech and make a game that captures the spirit of the tabletop game without being beholden to rules going back 30 years. I played Mechcommander to death too and that wasn't a great game, so I'm very eager to see a good strategy game in this setting.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I played the ever loving shit out of Mechcommander. I love that game.

The sequel was...ehhh

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I recently got hard into ITB myself

So far the Dangerous Mechs are my favorite squad, although I've only ever won with the Rusting Hulks

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I recently got hard into ITB myself

So far the Dangerous Mechs are my favorite squad, although I've only ever won with the Rusting Hulks

The Dangerous Mech are definitely my favorite as well

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    A lot of the reason I'm excited for Battletech is definitely because of the universe.

Mechwarrrior 2 was one of the first PC games I ever played and I devoured all the Battletech novels I could get my hands on at the library. I love the sprawling space drama, giant robots, and all the tactical minutae that comes with managing a mech. As stated above, HBS has a a good track record, but they also have the original creator, Jordan Weisman, onboard, and one of their goals has been to rethink Battletech and make a game that captures the spirit of the tabletop game without being beholden to rules going back 30 years. I played Mechcommander to death too and that wasn't a great game, so I'm very eager to see a good strategy game in this setting.

My hope is that the game is a success, and then it inspires Weisman to go try and bring back Crimson Skies next.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Tropico 5 Complete collection ( All DLC) is $7.86 at Humble store atm

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Veagle wrote: »
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

My hope is that the game is a success, and then it inspires Weisman to go try and bring back Crimson Skies next.

I’d also be happy to see Renegade Legion.

Hover tanks!!!

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    So I decided to give The Evil Within 2 a shot after hearing so much praise for it lately

It there a particular point where things should click properly? Because I’m a couple of hours in so far and hoo boy... this game is clunky as heck, a little boring and the save system is actively awful.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    So I decided to give The Evil Within 2 a shot after hearing so much praise for it lately

It there a particular point where things should click properly? Because I’m a couple of hours in so far and hoo boy... this game is clunky as heck, a little boring and the save system is actively awful.

if you've gotten to the first open bit then that's generally where it feels pretty good. If that whole setup isn't working for you, then, while the story stuff does pick up quite a bit and become quite compelling, it might not be for you. The whole scavenging and knowing when to quit and make the trip home to safety is a big part of it.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I went in on my first game with Dangerous Mechs being unsure about how well I'd manage with their self damage tactics and that ended up being my first four island, all perfect run on Normal

Dangerous Mechs are really, really good

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I went in on my first game with Dangerous Mechs being unsure about how well I'd manage with their self damage tactics and that ended up being my first four island, all perfect run on Normal

Dangerous Mechs are really, really good

Nanobots OP.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    With the possible exception of Judoka, I like all the mech squads a lot

It's amazing how much variety they cram into those tiny grids

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    steel judoka sucks ass

i got the last achievement yesterday and unlocked the secret squad. i feel like i spent maybe a little too much time on that game

• Options
    I decided against working toward the secret squad and went ahead and spoiled myself

And uh, wow, I feel like there's implications

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    I decided against working toward the secret squad and went ahead and spoiled myself

And uh, wow, I feel like there's implications

yeah i spoiled myself on that a while ago, and while i still want to unlock it, yeah.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'm close enough that I'll go back at some point and unlock it

I could probably do it in a solid afternoon of play at this point

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Secret Squad is interesting. Not immediately as strong as many of the others as well as immediate downsides, but once upgraded their damage potential can become mad stupid.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018

DEAD IN VINLAND is a survival/management game, mixed with RPG and adventure elements, about a Viking family trying their best to survive on a mysterious island.

Exiled on a faraway and unknown land, lead Eirik and his family on their quest to survive.
    Manage their physical and mental health, explore the island, organize your camp and deal with other human beings. Some will help you, and some will be less... friendly.
    Unveil the esoteric mysteries of Vinland. They could save your life… or lead you to your demise.

Looks like Banner Saga and Darkest Dungeon, with a bit of The Sims in there as well.
    Game launches April 12th
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/573120/Dead_In_Vinland/

Brolo on
  • Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Tropico 5 Complete collection ( All DLC) is $7.86 at Humble store atm

Tropico 5 is really good. I just played through it the other week and it seems like it has a lot more going on that the last few versions did.
    Here's from when I was trying to hold off a fake invasion from a friendly Teddy Roosevelt and a real invasion the secret Illuminati trying to destroy the world, keep a volcano from burning down my island, organize and dominate the Olympics, and achieve world peace.

FDA50100DB24BAC5AB209DAF84A99E720169723E

It also has a surprisingly engaging storyline for the main campaign.

Real Spoilers!
    I was not expecting this to be a game in which I would need to befriend Einstein so we could build a time machine, in order to go back in time and stop myself from being manipulated into destroying the world. Late in the game it has you realize that the enemy trying to sabotage you in earlier levels was you from the future!

Veagle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Just started playing last night and into the breach is amazing, rust buckets are probably overpowered but that's fine, there are other groups to use for more challenge. That game is so good at letting you/making you feel clever, which is a feat for randomly generated enemies, spawns etc. Great seeding for the level design. Or maybe it's a lot of presets? But I doubt it.

But more Spec Ops: The Line thoughts....I don't think I'm going to keep playing. Despite being the sort of person who very much agrees with the critical ideas being put forth...I don't play shooters regularly, so one that is critical in a way that is supposed to make me cringe has me agreeing, but also just cringing, just even more than I did briefly playing Call of Duty. I like it, I'm glad it exists, and it is effective! And it honestly has some really cool things going on with the art design of the graffiti, and sound design with the music and environments! But after (still pretty early spoilers)
    Extended fight with the rogue 33rd company soldiers that are rounding up civilians, and the game getting you used to shooting everything that moves because it's ALL soldiers to start, having a civilian woman running towards me that I snap head shotted and seeing her crumple right in front of me was just an "I... don't need to play this" sort of moment.
    So yeah, statements and art can be uncomfortable and still good, and I think this is, I just don't want to take the active part to PLAY it.

I dunno, anyone else bounce off like this? The actual gameplay seems good, but I'm hardly a connoisseur of shootymans, I dropped it down to easy in a hurry because I just don't find them that fun must of the time.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I tried to play it again and had to bounce off, it's pretty rough going (in a good way). I don't blame you at all.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I hate how bad I am at Into the Breach. I've beaten FTL a bunch of times, on hard, gotten most of the achievements. I've still only unlocked the smoke mechs. I've never had a successful run. I've gotten a few perfect islands that turn into a death spiral by like the 2nd battle of the next island.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I hate how bad I am at Into the Breach. I've beaten FTL a bunch of times, on hard, gotten most of the achievements. I've still only unlocked the smoke mechs. I've never had a successful run. I've gotten a few perfect islands that turn into a death spiral by like the 2nd battle of the next island.

Are you playing on normal?

This discussion has been closed.