As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Scythe PbF: (Post WWI Terra Mytica)

15678911»

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Eh.
    He might be around at this time, if not then we wait.

Gain a combat card from Mindflare's Enlist
    (if I have not already? I'm not sure if my imgur hand was updated before I said this..)

discrider on
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Looks like I uploaded the wrong file to imgur. Board state was correct when I checked TTS. Fixed.

Combat card hands were all updated at the time of the update.

• Options
    PredaPreda Registered User regular
    I confirm my action. I easyly could have closed with my last action, but wouldn't have made enough points to beat you, your power wouldn't have mattered.

• Options
    Well it sort of really matters:
    Get 1 Pop from Brody's build.

Trade: Spend $1, Get 2 Food. Don't gain a power and instead stand on top of my Armoury speaking about how much of a Pacifist I am.
    Get a star from secret objective: Have 0 power, 13+ Pop, 5+ workers

Then Enlist last recruit, gain $2, gain 2 power, get last star.

Game ends

• Options
    @MrBody @mindflare77 @Brody @AustinG909 @Preda
    Good game all...
    Preda and I sort of ran away with this
    Not sure how I was running faster than Preda's 'rush' though <~<

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Well damn. Should have built to get that last star. Not that it mattered.

• Options
    Good game all and thanks @MrBody for running.

I don’t have a clue what happened. There’s a lot to track here

• Options
    Well damn. Should have built to get that last star. Not that it mattered.

I didn't want to get attacked by doing the SO last turn...
    But then I was on zero power so, I sort of expected Preda to attack me several times anyway

• Options
    mindflare77mindflare77 OhioRegistered User regular
    Good game all. My next action would have gotten me two stars (last Enlist, plus my Secret), but... Not well played by me, and super well played by y'all!

8BFpSWC.png

PSN/Steam: mindflare77
  • Options
    discrider wrote: »
    Well it sort of really matters:
    Get 1 Pop from Brody's build.

Trade: Spend $1, Get 2 Food. Don't gain a power and instead stand on top of my Armoury speaking about how much of a Pacifist I am.
    Get a star from secret objective: Have 0 power, 13+ Pop, 5+ workers

Then Enlist last recruit, gain $2, gain 2 power, get last star.

Game ends

w6nXcvg.jpg

• Options
    End Game
    FLqwH8il.png
    full size

Mats
    B7riboR.png
    3iHDfOp.png
    l6aHiRK.png
    tvE3hxG.png
    L7VM8hD.png

Discrider- Rusviet Union
    mindflare77- Crimea Khanate
    Preda- Saxon Empire
    AustinP0027- Republic of Polania
    Brody- Nordic Kingdoms

• Options
    edited April 2018
    (2 power for me I believe; Armoury power had to be forfeit :P )

discrider on
  • Options
    Looking at the board; I'm not sure how others were meant to disrupt me.
    I was somewhat scared of my island being surrounded, but the Factory would need to be locked down, as well as my three access points, to prevent me gaining the extra hex control coins.
    Otherwise.. you're either looking at invading my island directly (through the lake most likely), or just having to compete on stars. And it's not like I was sitting on a resource cache at any point that would have made invading worthwhile.

• Options
    Final Scores

Rusivet Union-
    In bank: 20
    Stars: 30 (6x5)
    Territories: 40 ((7 + 3 (factory)) x 4)
    Resources: 0
    Building Bonus: 2
    Total: 92

Crimea Khanate-
    In bank: 10
    Stars: 4 (1x4)
    Territories: 12 (4 x 3)
    Resources: 2
    Building Bonus: 2 (1x2)
    Total: 30

Saxon Empire-
    In bank: 24
    Stars: 12 (3x4)
    Territories: 15 (5 x 3)
    Resources: 4 (2x2)
    Building Bonus: 0
    Total: 55

Polania Republic
    In bank: 22
    Stars: 8 (2x4)
    Territories: 15 (5 x 3)
    Resources: 4 (2x2)
    Building Bonus: 0
    Total: 49

Nordic Kingdom-
    In bank: 8
    Stars: 6 (2x3)
    Territories: 10 (5 x 2)
    Resources: 2 (2 x 1)
    Building Bonus: 2
    Total: 28

• Options
    Yeah, I was starting to look for that as my lake to lake ability meant I was going to have a good access to places people didn’t think I could get to, but no one had anything built up worth disrupting.

No one had a setup where even disrupting their home base meant anything much. So, just kept grabbing encounters.

I don’t like that player board, though. Preda’s right that I should have driven for oil but it kind of sucked that I had to focus on that because I had no way to reduce upgrade costs, and going down any of the other bottom row completions required getting upgrades to reduce their cost

• Options
    The Encounters really helped boost my Popularity though.
    If my Char had been trapped, or Brody put villagers on the one north of my island, I would not have been able to claim that SO or get so high a multiplier as quickly.

But being able to jump to the factory early really helped there too.

• Options
    Overall, I think this would work better at the table, where I don't have so much time to consider my starting moves (I really enjoy Zachtronic games, so most efficient path finding is something that will consume me).
    And I also really enjoyed the flavour of the Encounter cards, as they helped me focus on the setting rather than just focusing on game mechanics all the time.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Yeah, it's an interesting game, and I thought I was doing well, and then all of a sudden people were way ahead of me. I feel like I should have ignored the factory, turtled up, and gone hard on metal/oil.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    I've longed considered a quasi turtle strategy where you grab what stars you can, but don't strain yourself for them. While everyone else is running around the middle and straining to max out workers or whatever, build up your popularity, resources, and spread out to control as many territories as you can in your slice.

• Options
    MrBody wrote: »
    I've longed considered a quasi turtle strategy where you grab what stars you can, but don't strain yourself for them. While everyone else is running around the middle and straining to max out workers or whatever, build up your popularity, resources, and spread out to control as many territories as you can in your slice.

That was sorta what I was doing..
    Mostly I was using my Factory card to not have to use my Upgrade action (and +pop). Whilst using my Deploy and Enlist actions solely without moving.
    That it enabled me to also grab Encounters was sort of ancillary, or at least I didn't pick the card to do so and any Factory card helps there.

• Options
    Brody wrote: »
    Yeah, it's an interesting game, and I thought I was doing well, and then all of a sudden people were way ahead of me. I feel like I should have ignored the factory, turtled up, and gone hard on metal/oil.

There was a point on the BGG forums that I just saw, that the Factory control is worth more than 2 stars at the end of the game, so control of it is very desirable.

• Options
    If I moved last action I could have attacked brody mech and mindflare mech+worker in the tunnel, winning both fight 100% sure, while at the same time gaining 10 territories and completing my second objective (3 tunnels) for 3 stars and gain the last one by upgrading. I could attack discrider, but he had the extra card for the worker and that make impossible to win both fight (since my cards were crap). without attacking discrider, I would have ended at 75 gold aganist 77 for discrider, so, no go. If discrider couldn't complete his objective by trade i would have had another round, and by having 2 extra popularity to lose fighting worker and 3 extra power i could have knoked him out of 2 territories, winning by 2/3 gold...
    was a risk worth taking. we finished in 19 actions...

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Preda wrote: »
    If I moved last action I could have attacked brody mech and mindflare mech+worker in the tunnel, winning both fight 100% sure, while at the same time gaining 10 territories and completing my second objective (3 tunnels) for 3 stars and gain the last one by upgrading. I could attack discrider, but he had the extra card for the worker and that make impossible to win both fight (since my cards were crap). without attacking discrider, I would have ended at 75 gold aganist 77 for discrider, so, no go. If discrider couldn't complete his objective by trade i would have had another round, and by having 2 extra popularity to lose fighting worker and 3 extra power i could have knoked him out of 2 territories, winning by 2/3 gold...
    was a risk worth taking. we finished in 19 actions...

Glad my not taking the SO paid off then :P
    If you had attacked me, I think others would have also attacked.

.. actually I think I misread that.
    If you knew the game ended next turn, would you have attacked me?

discrider on
  • Options
    Attacking you wouldn't have worked for me. I needed 2 mechs to win a combat aganist you for sure, and that would have meant 1 less territory taken. Attacking you I would still have lost 73 to 72. I gambled on the fact that you couldn't get both stars with 1 action. (combat/objective with a move action was a chance but with you without power was far fetched, while recruit/objective was so improbable that I didn't even consider it). It looked a better bet than attacking you with only 1 mech and hoping you and brody both had low cards. Knowing the game would end I would have attaked you with a single mech and hoped for the better in combat, but given the chances, waiting 1 turn would have been a better bet.