As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pre-Fight Debate Thread: Bracket 3

Doctor DoomDoctor Doom Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Graphic Violence
Match A:

Giganta.jpg

Giganta

Powers: Can grow to gigantic size, strength increases in proportion to size

Vs.

Apocalypse_%28comics%29.png
Apocalypse

Powers: Can manipulate his body on an atomic level. Superhuman strength.

Environment: Mount Olympus.

Match B:
invincible_33.jpg

Angstrom Levy

Powers: The ability to open portals to alternate realities, enhanced strength

Vs.

225px-Ultronunleashed.jpg

Ultron

Powers: Superhuman Strength and speed, invulnerability, flight, energy blasts, force fields, hypnosis, genius-level intellect

Environment: Marvel Nexus Of All Realities, Florida Everglades. Competitors are advised to watch out for Doom's Giant Size Man-Thing.
Any portals created must be entered by both parties. Separation will result in a disqualification for Angstrom Levy.

Match C:

Swarm_%28comics%29.gif

Swarm

Powers: Nazi, made of bees.

VS.

Psychopirate.png

Psycho-Pirate

Powers: Controls and feeds off emotions.

Environment: Apokalips

Match D:

Imm-sandman.jpg

Sandman

Powers: Body is made completely of organic sand, giving him ability to shift his body into weapons made of sand, such as blades and other weapons. Can become a sentient mass of sand that can change shape and density to his advantage. Superhuman strength and endurance in his sand form. Can absorb nearby sand particles to add to mass or replace lost mass.

Vs.

mist2.jpg
Mist

Powers: Intangibility, can tranquilize opponents in mist form, skilled in the use of firearms.

Equipment: Two pistols.

Environment: The Savage Land

Doctor Doom on

• Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited November 2006

Match B:
    [NO PICTURE AVAILABLE, THE INTERNET FAILS]
    Angstrom Levy
    You just didn't look hard enough.

invincible_33.jpg

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Thank you, peon.

Doctor Doom on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Unless Angstrom Levy can open portals to alternate realities and get their crazy monster denizens to jump out and ruin Ultron's shit, Ultron wins.

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Match A is going to be judged based on who'd I do harder.

Sorry Apoc, Giganta's pretty much uncontested this whole round.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Olivaw wrote:
    Unless Angstrom Levy can open portals to alternate realities and get their crazy monster denizens to jump out and ruin Ultron's shit, Ultron wins.
    Or he could just close the portal and leave him trapped.

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    No way Apocy loses to Giganta. If all it took to take him out was grow really big Giant-Man would be able to kick his ass.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Furu wrote:
    No way Apocy loses to Giganta. If all it took to take him out was grow really big Giant-Man would be able to kick his ass.

Really big and hot.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Does the cancer god Giganta's being controlled by factor into her fight?

Man, I hate Apocalypse.

And what's the Nexus of all Realities?

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    robosagogo wrote:

Man, I hate Apocalypse.

The Nexus of all realities is the point where this reality is joined to all others

Doctor Doom on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    So if Angstrom threw Ultron through a portal, he could eventually show back up?

Furu on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    robosagogo wrote:

Man, I hate Apocalypse.

The Nexus of all realities is the point where this reality is joined to all others
    Does that affect Angstrom's portal opening abilities at all, or can he really just send Ultron through a portal and seal it?

Or does Angstrom only win if Ultron is killed, either in this reality or another one?

Though to be fair, didn't Angstrom have to use Invincible's mom to force the boy to enter a portal? Ultron would just blow him away from a distance.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

Man, I hate Apocalypse.

Does that affect Angstrom's portal opening abilities at all, or can he really just send Ultron through a portal and seal it?

Or does Angstrom only win if Ultron is killed, either in this reality or another one?

Though to be fair, didn't Angstrom have to use Invincible's mom to force the boy to enter a portal? Ultron would just blow him away from a distance.
    Not quite. He just made him fly at him and opened a portal in front of him.

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Which means Ultron could still blow him away from a distance, which happens to be his favorite tactic.

Not looking good for Levy.

Furu on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Furu wrote:
    Which means Ultron could still blow him away from a distance, which happens to be his favorite tactic.

Levy could just shield himself with portals.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Furu wrote:

Levy could just shield himself with portals.

And then we have a stalemate with the two of them just standing there.

Staring.

Glaring.

And then Levy either bails via portal or starves to death.

I don't see any way Ultron could lose this. He's not an idiot.

Furu on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Furu wrote:
    So if Angstrom threw Ultron through a portal, he could eventually show back up?

I would think that it would qualify him as out of bounds. So if that is a legitimate way to lose this fight it would be a possible strategy.

Marathon on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    For every bit as big as Giganta can get Apocolypse can just get bigger. Then he could turn his arm into a giant sledge hammer and murderize her.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    After reading Blood of Apocalypse, I'm inclined to believe that Apocalypse is too stupid to win anything. Giganta is like a scientist or some shit, and is also smoking hot.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    And here I was, thinking Doom would add 'A Giant Gash' for Giganta's superpowers.

Slagmire on
  • Options
    exitexit Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I love how huffy Apocalypse looks in that picture

look out, Giganta, he may stomp his feet and cry

Also, with "Well, Apocalypse can get just as big," wouldn't she become much stronger than him as they sized up, with the whole proportion thing?

exit on
  • Options
    SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    exit wrote:
    I love how huffy Apocalypse looks in that picture

look out, Giganta, he may stomp his feet and cry

Also, with "Well, Apocalypse can get just as big," wouldn't she become much stronger than him as they sized up, with the whole proportion thing?

If I remember correctly, Apocalypse has the same thing since he can alter his being on close to an atomic level... add to that his shapeshifting (and he still has energy beams too doesn't he?) and I doubt Giganta's got much of a shot.

Slagmire on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Yup, Gigantas got no chance. He can get bigger and stronger than her, and he's got a dozen more powers besides.

I give Ultron the win, all he needs to do is score one hit on Levy and that should be enough.

I'll give Sandman the win, since guns will never be able to hurt him, so Mist will probably be vulnerable before he is (I have no idea who Mist is though).

Swarm vs Pirate, I dunno.

Scooter on
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Psycho Pirate is my only nomination that made it, so I hope he at leasts gets to the second round. Swarm doesn't seem to be too... scary.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The question is, is psycho pirate allergic to bee stings? Are any of the villains? If so, Swarm might make it pretty far.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I hope all allergic villians would remember to pack their epi-pen

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Fill Swarm with self-loathing and the bees will start killing each other? At the very least emotional disruption would cause Swarm to be unable to maintain his form.

But then each of Swarm's bees supposedly houses his consciousness, making him an aggregate being composed of thousands of tiny minds. Would Psycho Pirate have trouble influencing thousands of minds at once, small though they may be?

Anyone care to explain the mechanics of Psycho's powers and the extent of that power?

robosagogo on
  • Options
    DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    I'll give Sandman the win, since guns will never be able to hurt him, so Mist will probably be vulnerable before he is (I have no idea who Mist is though).

Couldn't mist just go into Mist Form and Tranquilize him? Would that result in a KO?

Similarly being that she has the power of intangilibty wouldn't Sandman have a hard time hitting her?

DharmaBum on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I think Psycho-Pirate has got this, the environment is Apokolips. Think of all the tormented people and feelings he would get to feed off of.

Sandman and Mist are both pretty much intangible, don't think either can really hurt each other in any conventional way. So the question is, who is smarter, and who could come up with a unique way to out the other first?

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    mcwillipmcwillip Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    DharmaBum wrote:
    Scooter wrote:

Couldn't mist just go into Mist Form and Tranquilize him? Would that result in a KO?

Similarly being that she has the power of intangilibty wouldn't Sandman have a hard time hitting her?

if her tranquilize ability is anything other than a telepathically induced tranquility, i do not think it would affect him.

the only real way i see of either of them hurting each other is sandman completely encasing mist in himself, making himself so dense that she cannot leak out, then rolling to a beach or desert (i'm pretty sure either could be found in savage lang) and filling whatever space she's taking up in him with more super-dense sand, to the point where she is either super-heated, crushed, and/or completely atomically dispursed and can't put herself together again or something.

mcwillip on
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    DharmaBum wrote:
    Scooter wrote:

She couldn't hit him either, I don't think you can tranq a guy who is made of sand, he could just dissapate into the soil of the Savage Land and hide until she comes out of mist form. This is basically going to be the longest waiting game ever.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    mcwillip wrote:
    DharmaBum wrote:
    Scooter wrote:

if her tranquilize ability is anything other than a telepathically induced tranquility, i do not think it would affect him.

the only real way i see of either of them hurting each other is sandman completely encasing mist in himself, making himself so dense that she cannot leak out, then rolling to a beach or desert (i'm pretty sure either could be found in savage lang) and filling whatever space she's taking up in him with more super-dense sand, to the point where she is either super-heated, crushed, and/or completely atomically dispursed and can't put herself together again or something.
    Is Sandman smart enough to come up with a plan like that? I know he's incredibly powerful, but also got the mind of a thug.

And Mist has come up with some brilliant plans. Too bad she doesn't have time to prepare. If she did, she could do something similar to what she did to Amazing Man by tainting some quicksand so that Sandman is incapacitated when he tries to absorb it.

Sandman still needs to breathe, right?

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    The question is, is psycho pirate allergic to bee stings? Are any of the villains? If so, Swarm might make it pretty far.

I think he gets fairly far on the fact he is a Nazi skeleton surrounded by bees alone.
    After reading Blood of Apocalypse, I'm inclined to believe that Apocalypse is too stupid to win anything. Giganta is like a scientist or some shit, and is also smoking hot.
    This is the same thing I am basing my vote on.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    mcwillip wrote:
    DharmaBum wrote:
    Scooter wrote:

Is Sandman smart enough to come up with a plan like that? I know he's incredibly powerful, but also got the mind of a thug.

And Mist has come up with some brilliant plans. Too bad she doesn't have time to prepare. If she did, she could do something similar to what she did to Amazing Man by tainting some quicksand so that Sandman is incapacitated when he tries to absorb it.

Sandman still needs to breathe, right?
    I don't see how he would need to, how could he breathe when he's just a pile of sand?

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Considering he spent a good deal of time as a pile of sand in a comatose-like state, no, he does not need to breathe.

Furu on
  • Options
    Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Match A - Apocalypse. Pretty sure big and tasty won't stand much a chance here.

Match B - Ultron. I've never even heard of this other guy. He loses for wearing a pink tie.

Match C - I don't know either of these two clowns. Based on their powersets, I would give this one to Psycho Pirate. A guy made of bees doesn't seem that bad when you are wearing armor.

Match D - Mist? I will give it to him..or her, can't really tell from the picture and am too lazy to wiki him…or her. Sandman in all of his power and potential, has usually been written as a tard.

Romero Zombie on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Furu wrote:
    Considering he spent a good deal of time as a pile of sand in a comatose-like state, no, he does not need to breathe.
    Maybe he needs to breathe except for when he's in a coma. :P

Does he have a human form anymore?

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Look, all I know is that it looks like Mist can turn into fog and use guns.

You know what never works on Sandman?

Guns.

Either they just stand around glaring at each other or Sandman thumps her when she solidifies.

Furu on
  • Options
    DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Does Sandman ever have to become, or can become fully tangible?

Becuase if not how do you beat him?

DharmaBum on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    DharmaBum wrote:
    Does Sandman ever have to become, or can become fully tangible?

Becuase if not how do you beat him?
    Spidey's most common way is to blast him with a high pressure water hose.

....or a vaccum cleaner. Yeah.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    A crapload of water, usually.

Furu on