As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pax 2018 Hype

KopeAceticKopeAcetic Registered User regular
A bit early but how many of you out there are starting to get hyped for PAX West 2018? :twisted:

• Kirby4LifeKirby4Life SumYungGuy In a cabin in the woodsRegistered User regular
    Thinking of skipping prime this year and using the hotel/gas $$ on an oculus/vive instead...

• Croatian SensationCroatian Sensation Registered User regular
    Can't wait for the forum activity to pick up. See when everyone picks there days of when tickets go on sale.

• CKingCKing Registered User regular
    You kidding me? I've been counting down since 50 weeks until prime 2018. Can't help it. I have a notebook. It's an obsession.

• alchahestalchahest Edmonton, CanadaRegistered User regular
    got hotel reserved already. little more pricy this year, but a better location.

• utterotterutterotter Registered User regular
    Starting to make plans for this year already

• KopeAceticKopeAcetic Registered User regular
    Really hoping to get tickets this year as last year was my first PAX. I have a vacation throughout most of May and won't have access to a computer so I'm hoping tickets go on sale before then!

KopeAcetic wrote: »
    Really hoping to get tickets this year as last year was my first PAX. I have a vacation throughout most of May and won't have access to a computer so I'm hoping tickets go on sale before then!

If they continue with the release of the past couple years, it'll be the beginning of June. But they won't go on sale until after East. So it's highly unlikely it'll be April.

• anettie76anettie76 OregonRegistered User regular
    I'm starting to check the site every day to make sure the date is Labor Day weekend. I've already booked my room for that time. I'm ready!! It can't come soon enough.

5fac6ex5bpmi.jpg

• wykydtronikwykydtronik Registered User regular
    I'm actually going through the usually fest/con's I attend. I had to pop into the PAX forums to see what the chit chat is. Can't wait!

• RiDERiDE the WORST! Hotel CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I'm thinking of taking the light rail up there this year instead of dealing with, you know, Seattle parking. Also been thinking of cosplaying MHW Rathalos and Rathian armor (probably definitely way beyond my skill level but I can dream)

I am not sure how these two things would work together, though (riding the LR with full MHW armor might get strange looks, even in Seattle)

Now if it were Portland...

"Try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damned fool about it."
  • Malstrom42Malstrom42 Registered User new member
    edited March 2018
    I already booked the labour day long weekend (off of work)! If it's not then I suppose my fiance and I will have a nice vacation.

Malstrom42 on
    Assuming we are correct about the dates, in 25 weeks hubby and I will be on a plane to Seattle! I start keeping track 50 weeks out, so I'm so excited we're half way there.

• H3YDH3YD Game Designer OhioRegistered User regular
    The hype is real already for sure!

• Hoboking006Hoboking006 Registered User regular
    Pax East has ended, time to obsessively stare at a website for hours on end!

May PAX be upon you.
  • IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    Anticipatory thread kicking off once again!

31pcxfpqlvcr.jpg

• Nfan10039Nfan10039 Streamer/Gamer/Developer Montreal (Seattle eventually....)Registered User regular
    Really looking forward to PAX Prime again. I skipped out on 2017, and regret that decision constantly. No more mistakes, I'm definitely attending this year! :biggrin:

ajor19ru24j1.png
    Just a nerd into anything Nintendo, anime, MCU, Star Wars, and board games/card games.
    Also a computer scientist and a streamer.
    Ah, the best time of the year! Glad to see some familiar faces on this thread again!

• The AviatrixThe Aviatrix Registered User regular
    Though I'll be enforcing, my vigil must persist, for I have friends who need their tickets.
    And I adore this community of anticipation. ♥

x5XpZBK.pngEz7XjRx.pngml9Z6gf.png
  • zwitterionzwitterion Registered User regular
    I’m ready for another year of SOON

• bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    Interesting... I wasn't able to reserve my preferred room at the homewood for my usual stay of thurs-tues, but it did allow me to do so if I reserved wends to tues... guess this year I'll be there one day earlier than before. Oh darn? :P Fortunately hhonors is pretty flexable about reservations and such, so I've got plenty of time to change it if necessary

PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png
    Let's not forgot that even if you have tickets you may be lurking on the hotel site all summer trying to piece together your lodging one day at a time(I'm looking at you Sheraton).

May PAX be upon you.
    I got incredibly lucky last year and got the Sheraton, hopefully I can do it again.

Last year was my first year going, and I got into the Grand Hyatt. I've contemplated trying to get into the Sheraton this year but I have to admit the best thing about the Grand Hyatt was the incredible tub after each long day just chilling soaking for a bit. I've heard the Grand Hyatt bathrooms win hands down over the Sheraton.

Last year I joined in on somebody's Olive 8 room. There were 3 total in the room. We had no issues and the people at the front were quite nice despite the fact that my name was not on the room (and I didn't know their last names... Oops.) It was also a nice location, with Monster across the street :P I don't think there was enough room for people to find floor space very comfortably though. My rollaway bed was tucked snugly between furniture. I would recommend it, though I do not know too much about amenities as I was not in my room more than sleeping and changing.

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    KopeAcetic wrote: »
    Last year was my first year going, and I got into the Grand Hyatt. I've contemplated trying to get into the Sheraton this year but I have to admit the best thing about the Grand Hyatt was the incredible tub after each long day just chilling soaking for a bit. I've heard the Grand Hyatt bathrooms win hands down over the Sheraton.

I like the Sheraton's bathrooms just fine, but The Hyatt's are clearly superior. If a tub is important to you, the extra few percent you spend for the Hyatt are worth it.

• DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    If you want a good cheap alternative to the big hotels, last year I stayed at the Moore Hotel near Pike’s Place Market. It’s not one of the official PAX hotels, but I only paid $120 per night (and I could have gotten it for $20 cheaper if I went for shared bathrooms). It’s not a luxurious hotel, but it’s clean and has the basics, and still close to everything.

Dreamwriter on
    Friendly reminder to set mobile notifications for the @Pax_Badges Twitter account for badges this year.

• DashDDashD Dread Pirate Chef Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Hello, friends! Are we all excited for another season of SOON, constantly refreshing pages, and obsessively checking the twitter feeds (just to make sure your alerts are properly set, for the third time this afternoon)?

"Brilliant! Oh wait, if we were meant to fly, we would have been born with little bags of nuts."
    PAX_Badge_Sig.png
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    If you want a good cheap alternative to the big hotels, last year I stayed at the Moore Hotel near Pike’s Place Market. It’s not one of the official PAX hotels, but I only paid $120 per night (and I could have gotten it for $20 cheaper if I went for shared bathrooms). It’s not a luxurious hotel, but it’s clean and has the basics, and still close to everything.

I regularly stay at The Moore. Worth noting, it lacks AC. If you want cheap and don't mind hoofing it 1/2 mile to the convention center, it's a good choice. And many of their rooms have big ol' claw-foot tubs. They modified them to prevent people taking baths. I may or may not bring my own drain plug when I stay there.

YoungFrey on
  • RiDERiDE the WORST! Hotel CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Whenever someone asks me what my plans are for the summer I always tell them the truth: stand in a line (for badges) so I can stand in another line (to get into the expo hall) so I can stand in a third line (to play a game for 10 minutes).

That isn't even counting the lines for food or bathrooms (or the time I just leaned up against the wall to rest and then people lined up behind me and somehow, we had formed a Line For Nothing Going Nowhere (tm))

"Try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damned fool about it."

There's a few ways to play this that my group has tried. My second PAX I didn't really know about the room share system so I stayed at the Green Tortoise hostel, it (was) 35 a night, they give you lock box for your stuff, and it has free breakfast of eggs and pancakes and sometimes dinner as well.

Currently I have a large enough group for room share, and I value most the short walking distance to convention. However, a friend of mine did an orbitz deal for hotel (him and his girlfriend wanted privacy), rental car, and plane ticket for like... 1000 dollars total by getting a hotel near the airport, and then they just took the tram in.

May PAX be upon you.
    Sweet Lord, they're putting a Li'l Woody's in at SEA/TAC. I didn't know my excitement could go up, but here we are.

I'm just imagining me in my post-PAX depression buying 20 burgers and eating them in bed when I get back to PA.

edited April 2018
    CKing wrote: »

I'm just imagining me in my post-PAX depression buying 20 burgers and eating them in bed when I get back to PA.

You are anticipating your state after the event you're currently anticipating?

Ladies and gentlemen, we have reached a new level of SOON. XD

IncreaseBlue on
    I have to say it's incredibly exciting to see the boards heating up!

Happy to raise the bar! You should see my PAX cost estimates. I keep a record of every year and can have multiple year estimates going at one time. :)

Happy to raise the bar! You should see my PAX cost estimates. I keep a record of every year and can have multiple year estimates going at one time. :)

I love this dedication :)

I love this dedication :)

I'm freakishly dedicated. Don't know when it happened, but I'm comfortable with it.

I'm really hoping Alaska drops their prices by the time Badgers go on sale. I know we're still a bit out from needing to buy seats, but I'm not liking the current price.

• DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    I’m strongly considering taking the train this year (from California). Sure, it’s longer and more expensive, but it’ll be an experience.

edited April 2018
    I’m strongly considering taking the train this year (from California). Sure, it’s longer and more expensive, but it’ll be an experience.

I did that one year. Was super excited. But I didn't find PAX people until a group got on in Portland. And I slept terribly. (I boarded at midnight... and was sitting next to a young kid who was an active sleeper and sleep-punched me at one point.) Perhaps if you're further South and the entire train isn't all asleep you'll have an easier time finding PAX people. The organization that there once was is no longer there.

I'm glad I did so once (I'd never been on a train beyond sleeper cars tbh) but I've no desire to do so again.

The Aviatrix on
This discussion has been closed.