As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[POTBS] Pirates of the Burning Sea

• Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Sonelan wrote: »
    I've been having fun playing it but haven't been able to PvP yet.

fucking how many MMOs do you play?

Also is this game sweet?

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    well firmskater if you like the game pirates, you will like this game. Sure swashbukling is kinda boring but I think it will get better and better with time. The ship combat is good and seems with upgardes to your ships will get very technical and will definatly be intense fights. I'm enjoying my time in the game so far as short as it has been.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    This is fucking ridiculous. First I downloaded the entire 6GB file (took about 5 hours) and found out the file was corrupted, so I have to download the parts. Whatever, I'll just download them when I go to bed. So I get the 3 files queued up and they download without a hitch.

Everything you went through sucks. But it says corrupt if you don't open it with Winrar. That's how I got passed it. I just got into this 3 days ago. I like it but I don't know if I can pay monthly for it.

This be me vessel mates

bransnewshipkk7.png

DekuStick on
  • Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    FirmSkater wrote: »

Also is this game sweet?
    Lets see. Eve WoW CoH LOTRO and this right now plus TF2 and other assorted games thrown in.

On a game note I didn't realize Jamacians made such good ships. I'm loving my jamaican sloop.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    FirmSkater wrote: »

Also is this game sweet?
    Lets see. Eve WoW CoH LOTRO and this right now plus TF2 and other assorted games thrown in.

On a game note I didn't realize Jamacians made such good ships. I'm loving my jamaican sloop.

Bermuda Sloop is where it's at. Also while my ship looks pretty nice, it is the worst ship in the game. Do not get the Flute!

DekuStick on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    DekuStick wrote:
    Everything you went through sucks. But it says corrupt if you don't open it with Winrar. That's how I got passed it. I just got into this 3 days ago. I like it but I don't know if I can pay monthly for it.

That's what I use. :( Oh well it finally got itself sorted out. I had to call their tech support though.

The game is pretty fun. Although my graphics occasionally act up and make some sort of flashing blue bar occur in the water. It's pretty annoying, but I've gotten used to it for the most part. I hit level 8 on my character.

Although I have NO idea what server you guys are on :P

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I'm on blackbeard I think.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    We have a society on rackham as pirates. Not sure if there are others floating around.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Ah good, I wanted to start a pirate. I started as a tradesman just to get the hang of the game.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Do it and send nattie o'kility a message while he is on to invite you.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ze swift classze swift class Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm totally enjoying this game.

Is there a way for you to sell a ship in your drydock? The only options I'm seeing is to destroy it, I think...

ze swift class on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Can't sell ships can only sell deeds to ships.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    catalystcatalyst Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I really wanted to try this out, but I couldn't unzip the damn beta client. Tried Winrar, Winzip, 7zip, windows unzip and neither of them worked.

oh well =(

catalyst on
    MainlineSIX.png
  • Options
    PhanTasmOPhanTasmO Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    Ah good, I wanted to start a pirate. I started as a tradesman just to get the hang of the game.

Ya pirate is the only way to go!

PhanTasmO on
  • Options
    PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Post your character name if you play as Pirate on Rakham and we'll get you invited.

Also... I am going to start organizing the release society soon, so keep an eye out for that and send me a message if you had any ideas.

PeasantDave on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    All you Pirates and your scallywagging.

I'm a British Naval Officer on Blackbeard.

I love my Locust Corvette. :)

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    catalyst wrote: »
    I really wanted to try this out, but I couldn't unzip the damn beta client. Tried Winrar, Winzip, 7zip, windows unzip and neither of them worked.

oh well =(

Download the 3 parts instead. The main one didn't work for me either. :(

urahonky on
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    so pirates only sail captured ships right? must suck to outfit your ship with expensive upgrades and have it sink because it only has 1 durability point :(

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Well, you can buy ships and use them also.

You just get access to better ships by capturing them :)

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I tried this last night.

It was okay. The swashbuckling combat was kind of boring. In the end, the mechanics weren't too different from your typical MMO.

The naval combat was much better, but it takes forever. I was in 2v3 combat with NPCs that probably took 40 minutes. I think the armor on ships is just too strong.

I didn't get into the crafting/economy stuff, I don't know if I'll boot it up again to try.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    captaink wrote: »
    I tried this last night.

It was okay. The swashbuckling combat was kind of boring. In the end, the mechanics weren't too different from your typical MMO.

The naval combat was much better, but it takes forever. I was in 2v3 combat with NPCs that probably took 40 minutes. I think the armor on ships is just too strong.

I didn't get into the crafting/economy stuff, I don't know if I'll boot it up again to try.

I bust up the ships until I can grapple them, and jump aboard. I'm sure later on in the game it becomes much easier to sink ships, but in the beginning jumping on their ship and killing the captain is much easier.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    It depends on your skillset, Pirates in general have an easier time boarding than sinking. Personally I find the longer ship combats exciting, it allows each combat to be more more meaningful than killing a couple mobs.

Regarding the 1 durability point, you can increase the durability if you find an identical deed to your ship. I think you still lose permanent upgrades regardless of durability, although I have not been able to try this.

Also... Pirates are able to craft good ships, just not the best ships. They can still steal and buy the best ships.

PeasantDave on
  • Options
    Trevor GoodchildTrevor Goodchild Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Out of curiosity how many of you plan to purchase this? Anyone from the current Rackham pirate guild?

Trevor Goodchild on
  • Options
    JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm downloading it right now, is there a guild that I can catch up with in game?

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    JamesDM, make a pirate on Rakham and post your screen name here. One of us will toss you an invite.

PeasantDave on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I am definitely going to be purchasing this game (pre-ordering, even). So will Nattie O'Kility. If everyone still wants to play together there will probably need to be a couple guilds (pirate and at least one national). I am willing to run the pirate guild for people.

So... who else is in? Would you like there to be a PA Society? What faction would you like to play? What should the name be (My vote is for Pirates of Clonakility Bay)?

PeasantDave on
  • Options
    TalonZahnTalonZahn Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm on Rack as a Pirate. L13 in a Mediator Cutter.

Capt. Talon Zahn

I've been killing Frenchies for the most part. Sea combat is great, and I do love knocking out their sails and boarding the ships. The Scavenge skill is awesome.

TalonZahn on
  • Options
    johnnyonoesjohnnyonoes Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Captaink,

Hey there, just to give you a heads up, the sea battle speed ramps up considerably once you start fighting with and against the larger ships. Just built straslunds last night, and refitted one of them to a falcon, and I got to say it feels like a machine gun compared to the earlier ships. Two decks worth of guns, the top deck being 5 on each side, shoots about twice as quickly as the lower deck that fires 10.

It only takes about 2 or 3 volley's using all my NO skills to take out a level 25-35 NPC ship.

Also, in retail I love to have a pirate alt, but most of my time will be spent doing economy stuff with Spanish FT. I've already got about 5 people that are starting to get organized for retail, so if you want to take a look at the economic side of the game let me know.

johnnyonoes on
  • Options
    volluspavolluspa Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    im down for the economy. certainly itnerested in creating a FT and going bananas with ti.

volluspa on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So the server list was released today for Live.

What server are you guys looking at?

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Trevor GoodchildTrevor Goodchild Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I am definitely going to be purchasing this game (pre-ordering, even). So will Nattie O'Kility. If everyone still wants to play together there will probably need to be a couple guilds (pirate and at least one national). I am willing to run the pirate guild for people.

So... who else is in? Would you like there to be a PA Society? What faction would you like to play? What should the name be (My vote is for Pirates of Clonakility Bay)?

I'm definitely going to be in on the game and plan to make another pirate named Oliver La Buse. Societies, guilds, whatever, always make things a lot funner so you can count me in. As for names, I'll throw my hat in with yours.

Trevor Goodchild on
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I too am in for this. I'll be free-trading it up at some point but my priority is going to be playing a pirate.

So... pirate guild on (for no particular reason) Morgan server? And I'm not all for that guild name PeasantDave, but I have nothing better to suggest ;)

exis on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I will also provide a brief explanation of the name. Clonakility Bay is an actual bay in Ireland. The obsessiveness derives from an herbal liquor no longer made. It was called "Seven Heads" and named after the seven peninsulas of Clonakility Bay, and the seven headed dragon which would live in a pool of sin and liquor. Here is an image of the bottle. I am open to any other names, this is just the best I could come up with. Nattie (Rynoa) will correct me if I got any of the story wrong.
    Clonakility.jpg

PeasantDave on
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    so, about the economy... we've established that no one person can make everything needed for most high-end ships. So, how are most high-end things made? people make whatever they can and sell it on auction, and others buy it? or do guilds coordinate production in order to make stuff?

the scariest thing to me is not knowing what items to make for a decent profit. I'm sure there's craftables that are in such high supply that you probably lose money making them, and the last thing I want to do is fall into that trap... but I have no way of knowing what to persue crafting in order to make the biggest profit...

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    Lunatic ClamLunatic Clam Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'd be lying if I said the FT / economy aspect of this game wasn't very appealing.

Lunatic Clam on
    Friend Code 0302-1076-6730
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I will also provide a brief explanation of the name. Clonakility Bay is an actual bay in Ireland. The obsessiveness derives from an herbal liquor no longer made. It was called "Seven Heads" and named after the seven peninsulas of Clonakility Bay, and the seven headed dragon which would live in a pool of sin and liquor. Here is an image of the bottle. I am open to any other names, this is just the best I could come up with. Nattie (Rynoa) will correct me if I got any of the story wrong.
    Clonakility.jpg

Oh, in that case, :^:.

But isn't it spelt Clonakilty? >.>

exis on
  • Options
    johnnyonoesjohnnyonoes Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hey folks,

I put together a quick little website (read as, I took the default blog set up and threw links to a forum on it) to house any coordination for a small group of friends of mine from beta.

We are going to be running a Spanish Society (preferablly on a different server than the PA pirates society) that is very economic centric. Once we have the economy down, we will work on getting everyone leveled and geared for some pvp.

Named it Fortune Fandango, wanted that FFers abreviation. The website is at www.jotzweb.com/ff.

If you are interested in the economy side of the game, I am going to start putting down examples of what businesses work for solos or groups on the public forum for all to see.

I'll also put my spreadsheet that I have been using to plan everything on there as well, its a pretty handy tool that you can put in what you wish to make, and it will output how much basic resources you need and also the amount of time it will take in each of the shops.

On a side note though, I would love to join in with the pirates as well, its a fun deversion to all the economy work!

johnnyonoes on
  • Options
    Lunatic ClamLunatic Clam Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Why don't you just do it on the same server as the PA Pirates?

Lunatic Clam on
    Friend Code 0302-1076-6730
  • Options
    edited December 2007

I don't know about others, but I plan on trying both free-trading and pirating. It'd be cool to be able to do both with a guild, rather than choosing one.

exis on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

You can only play on one faction per server as this game is very realm vs realm oriented. We will probably end up having 4 PA friendly guild on 4 different servers, each of a different nation.

PeasantDave on