As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Conan Exiles: Penny Arcade Server Now Online

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Yeah the building and "employees" part is what i'm mostly interested in, it's just to get to that point involves a lot of hitting stuff and the hitting stuff part looked awful.

Like, worse than hitting stuff in Ark even.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    New dev stream went up yesterday. It's basically a tour of the new Swamp biome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrmXu87xQxc

They also talk a little bit about the state of the game. They say they're still planning on one more patch to Early Access before the game goes live. The final Early Access patch will include the new combat system, new traits, and all of the changes that they have made to the current game world.

They also reiterated a point they made quite a while back - the Swamp and the Volcano are being intentionally held back for release day so that everybody, whether they are new to the game or a returning veteran, will have something new to look forward to.

• NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    1. When was the lauch day, next month?
    2. Should i start a new (solo) game now or wait until launch?

Launch day is May 8, and that's a simultaneous release for PC, XBox, and PS4.

I guess starting a new game really depends on your goals. If building is your primary focus, there's no reason to wait. You can start building the fortress of your dreams right now in the desert or highland. However, if adventuring and exploration are your primary focus, I'd say it will be better to wait. That also depends on how much you have already played. If you've already seen most or all of the desert and highland, then definitely wait. If everything is new, you might as well start now, because they are actually slowing the leveling curve a bit from what I've read in the past few months of dev updates.

They decided that players advance too quickly from T2 to T3, so they're slowing it down. Combat and killing NPCs is worth a lot less XP and exploration XP and finding major landmarks is also worth a lot less XP. That's all coming in the future patch. Right now if you log in, you'll still get the "old" XP.

And of course if you're playing singleplayer or on a private server, you can change all the values to your liking anyway.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Boy howdy does this game not need slower levelling.

• BitTWistBitTWist Kitsap CountyRegistered User regular
    I watched the Dev stream, and I am not all that thrilled about the way the purge was described. The idea of enemies spawning inside my base just doesn't seem right. I liked the original idea of an army or bandit group crossing the map. Hopefully when they do the stream covering the purge, they will give a better explanation.

3DS:2552-1222-3225 / PSN:BitTwist
    Yeah, or hopefully they get enough feed back generated from yesterday's stream that if a lot of people speak up and say the same thing you did, they still have time to fix it / change it.

I wasn't thrilled about it either. But they explained a few weeks ago that their original idea was just too ambitious for the time they had left to develop it. Their mistake was that they announced the idea, players loved it, and then they ran out of time. But they did that survey where they asked players to rank their proposed features in order of what they most want to see before launch, and the Purge was like #2 on the list, so they felt like they had to get something in, to meet player expectation.

They should have just cut the feature and said "sorry, we're still working on it and we will release it post launch."

Also, I'm still planning on making a clan on PS4 when the game comes out. I've already got my PS4 edition preordered, and I will probably take a day or two off work to sit on the couch and get my Conan on.

I'll post info when the time draws closer so that anyone else who is going to play on PS4 can try to coordinate servers if they want to play together.

edited April 2018
    Have they done any improvements to building and how blocks clip to ground since ymir update?
    Was building a towerkeep before i stopped playing, but ended up getting pretty frustrated due to not bein able to make entrance path follow the cliffside due to not being allowed to clip walls and floors to the cliff (sometimes i could, sometimes i could not, seemed pretty arbitrary on the difference).

Also, do thralls still sink to the floor/ceiling?

Nyysjan on
    Don't have a PS4, but I still play on my personal server. Glad I will have the option to turn the purge off if I want to.

edited April 2018
    So i did couple attempts at starting over.
    And i can't help but feel that the game is too harsh early on.
    Yes, i get that it's a survival game, and basic survival should be a challenge, and i did go into barbarian difficulty, but...
    Simply getting to the water should not be a near insurmoutable challenge.
    And when the first proper weapons only come at level 4, the enemies you encounter on the way to that water (probably still at level 2) should not be able to utterly destroy you in few hits when you have no weapons.

Nyysjan on
    Well, the Purge has hit TestLive this morning. I don't mess with TestLive. So if any of you that do, let us know how it works.

Well with official release being May 8, which is less than a month away now, we can assume the Purge is only going to be on TestLive for a short time before they port all the recent changes, fixes, additions, and features over to Early Access. I'm guessing we'll get about 2 weeks to play with the new stuff on the live servers (EA) before the game launches.

After The Secret World, i'm not really that optimistic about them keeping up with content updates and expansions.
    They're already cut a ton of intended content out of what will be the official release.
    Oh well, do some finishing touches on this and it'll be nice little game on its own.

I have watched a couple video on the Purge mechanics, and I am not really impressed. Was hoping for something more story driven, and less random. Plus having them just appear out of nowhere really doesn't impress me. Will probably just turn it off on the my server, and hope there are some changes down the road to it.

Yeah, the idea of a group of NPCs, whether they are human or beast, just spawning in right next to your base and attacking you seems like lazy implementation when their original pitch for the idea was roving bands of military units that sweep across the map, leaving a swatch of destruction in their wake until they are stopped.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    It's as if they just took the "Suddenly, a mob of enemies appeared !" concept from VERMINTIDE.

They posted a new devblog today. Not much by way of new info. It's basically just a recap of all the new crap coming, since it has been forever since they updated the live servers.

https://www.conanexiles.com/blog/dev-blog-19-countdown-to-launch/

I did, however, glean a few new tidbits of info which I was not previously aware of. I'll share some quotes of a couple things that were new info to me and might also be new info to others as well.
    In certain strong purges the NPCs may wield new legendary weapons – defeat them and claim the weapons as your own!
    Altogether there are hundreds of new pieces of gear to choose from, with all new weapon sets, epic armors and tools. There is also a host of new legendary weapons with their own unique bonuses. You can get your hands on most of these through the all new world boss system, where massive world bosses can be defeated for their legendary loot.

Also, here's some new screenshots, which are just the same screenshots that are in the link I posted above.
    Swamp4_1080_small-1024x576.jpg

Volcano2_1080_small-1024x576.jpg

PurgeStill2-1024x576.jpg

@BitTWist In the Purge streams that you watched, did you catch sight of the Purge meter?

From what they describe in the devblog I posted above, it sounds like players will be granted awareness of when a Purge is going to be coming, based on a meter that fills as they complete various activities.

Lucascraft wrote: »
    @BitTWist In the Purge streams that you watched, did you catch sight of the Purge meter?

From what they describe in the devblog I posted above, it sounds like players will be granted awareness of when a Purge is going to be coming, based on a meter that fills as they complete various activities.

yea, you can tell exactly when the purge will happen, and the map is marked when it does happen. The meter fills up and has multiple levels. I think it was on the 5 level (full meter) the purge was the hardest. Then it resets.

Guys!

Hey!

The new patch is here!

I just turned on Steam, and 1 game started updating. And lo and behold, it was the update I've been waiting for for a really long time. Rejoice!

http://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=440900

-New Combat system
    -Map Rooms
    -War Paint
    -The Purge
    -You can run with your weapons drawn again
    -Lots of other stuff

Yea. Lots of changes.This is going to take some getting used to. Game is really geared towards 3rd person combat now. May force a stat reset cause archery just plain sucks now. My server is also throwing tons of crocodile and cobra errors. Will need to research that. Will give a bigger review of the changes when I have more time.

Archery was changed so that it's bad if you're moving. It's intended to be more realistic, thus you need to be standing still and flat footed to get the most of it.

Combat seems better/more balanced right now for melee. I was able to go into the dogs of war camp and take a couple were-hyenas straight up in a brawl, which I was never able to do before. Even at 60 I always had to kite those guys in the previous system. Now, with the light/heavy combos and finishers, it seems that I'm doing a lot more damage and thus I'm living longer because my enemies are dying quicker.

Mitra seems like it might have just become the most important religion in the game. It was always good before. But now, with the lack of natural regen it feels essential. Food gives really shitty regen, at least the food I've been eating, which is just cooked fish. I have not tried any of the fully prepared meals yet. Those might be better. But the "cheap food" is garbage for regen. And because of that, being able to inexpensively craft ambrosia just made the value of having a Mitra altar go way up.

I didn't want to waste days and days exploring, so I looked up a spoiler for where/how to learn the maproom recipe.

For those who are wondering, I will put it in a spoiler tag. Note: Contains spoilers of the technique for learning to craft the maproom.
    It is inside the Unnamed City. There is a building that you go down inside called "The Archives" and it has one of the teleport monoliths out front of it. The entrance to the Archives is guarded by skeletal archers. Go down inside and there's a ghost you can talk to called "The Archivist" and he will teach you Cartography, which grants two recipes to you.

The first recipe is of course the Maproom object. The other recipe is for a new crafting material called Corrupted Stone. You need a ton of corrupted stone to craft the maproom. The corrupted stone itself is made at the Firebowl Cauldron and is an alchemy recipe. It's also fuckin' expensive to make. These maprooms are not going to be cheap.

Well, looks like the Purge only affects clans. If your not in a clan, no Purge. Also, each clan Purge meter is independent of other clans. So it is not a world event. Looks like they couldn't get it to work the way they advertised, and this was the solution. Kinda sucks.

I switched over to my singleplayer game, which is basically what I consider my test area. I have no qualms with spawning in whatever I want or need from the admin panel instead of playing the real way to earn it.

And anyway, last night on singleplayer I gave myself a set of the Zamoran Thief armor (the ninja-esque light armor) and a set of Star Metal daggers, just to test out the new agile playstyle.

Obviously having just started playing around with it, I have room to improve my player skill and get better at it. But my initial experience is that it works pretty great against single enemies, but it's quite terrible against packs of dudes. I feel like if you're clearing big human camps, the agility build is not that great. I'll keep trying a bit more tonight, just to improve my skill at it. But it just seems like even with all the extra maneuverability and backflipping, taking damage is unavoidable, and you just get cut down so fast in light armor.

i'm only using stone daggers (mainly on crocodiles), but even one on one, i'm not really sold, you constantly keep over reaching, and actually going past your target exposing your back.
    Pike is so much more effective.
    Bows are ok but annoying to aim.
    2 handed sword is fine, but the maul is a joke.
    1 handed + shield or a pike seems to be the way to go for melee combat.

Man, you basically have to completely reexplore the world map after this big update.

Everything is different now. They apparently went through and literally re-populated every single spawn. Human NPCs and animals. Everything got re-placed in the world or removed.

I'm finding new spawns, stuff that changed or is out of place, and all sorts of crazy new stuff.

For example, the spawns on the stone pirate ship are all different. They actually thinned out the enemy density on the ship itself. But! Now there's a whole new tent village with way more spawns that sits out on the plain in front of the ship. Also regarding the pirate ship area, the place that sits a little further back and has some ridges and stuff that are good for building on? That's a giant freakin' bug nest now. With these weird new bugs that look like they have the body of those old warrior bugs that hung out by Set city, only these new ones have like a tentacle face and long lashing tongues.

Animal placements are all different too. Places I expect to see a rhino or an elephant, or whatever... they're all different.

edited April 2018
    CROCODILES EVERYWHERE.
    Really need to start pushing north or west, currently have a secure house in the north shore of the southern river, and it takes forever to get any iron, and i'm not getting any xp (level 20).
    Maybe get medium armor to replace light, that and iron weapons should be more than enough to allow me to make it to the serpent city or the mountains north of forbidden city, and then build a more permanent stronghold there.

Nyysjan on
    Yea, I was set up on newb river just so i could build a fort on one of the little islands, and enjoy the quiet life. Now I have gator spawns all around me. They cause my thralls to run all over the place and get killed. Thinking of moving north and starting a new base. One that is specifically built for Purge defense.

Gators are way less of a threat with the new combat system. I've found this to be because of two different factors.
    A) The new combo system allows the player to put out way more damage than before
    B) The gators have a new lunge animation. Dodge that, and then they're super exposed, as it takes them forever to turn back around and snap at you

Lucascraft wrote: »
    Gators are way less of a threat with the new combat system. I've found this to be because of two different factors.
    A) The new combo system allows the player to put out way more damage than before
    B) The gators have a new lunge animation. Dodge that, and then they're super exposed, as it takes them forever to turn back around and snap at you

yes, gators are a cakewalk to players, but thralls are stupid, and don't dodge. Since you can't set them to passive, they just run out and get chewed on by the gators. I feel like I am collecting thralls just to feed the gators. That is why I am moving north. Find a place that has a low mob spawn, close to thrall villages, and then build a Purge specific base for archer thralls. The did mention on the stream today that they are fixing the Purge spawn to no longer happen inside your base.

Gators may be easy.
    But the distance they can jump is insane.
    Largely i just stab them with a pike a three times, dodge back and wait for lunge, and then stab them again for 3 times.
    Hyena's are worse, because they seem to ignore knockback from the pike.

Im a previous game had a nice house on a flat mountain top just little north of the river, just south of an npc camp, north of a sulphur (i think, the yellow stuff) mine and near some iron and coal deposits.
    But i abandoned it to start building a keep near the serpent city (for easier thrall access).

Thinking of making my new stronghold either near forbidden city or the boat wreck.
    Need to go explore after i set a temp camp and some smelters near the iron deposits.

This temporary camp is getting, slightly more elaborate than i intended.
    MJpNUI1.jpg

Is it sad that I know exactly where you are just based on that screenshot?

I've played too much Conan I think.

It is a pretty nice spot, now that i think about it.
    You can see the closest iron deposits just at the upper edge of the picture.
    There's some trees just down the hill, and more trees and game bit more to the south.
    River is bit of a bother to get to up north, need to kill some hyenas to get there, but tha'ts what the iron pike is for, and there's even more game, and iron, on the way.
    But as soon as i learn how to build a well that should stop being an issue.
    And there's some coal not that far to the east (need to kill occasional npc to get to them). Build a couple watch towars on the ridge, a small wall around the camp, would make not too bad a fort.

Went exploring a bit, found the tower of bats.
    Bit of a misleading name.
    There was only one bat.
    I suggest anyone going there to bring a friend, or a shitload of arrows.
    Possibly both.

I've been to the Tower of Bats. There's an altar at the top but I can't figure out what to do with it. Any tips?

There are two side-wings that also have non-interactive objects that look like possible dungeon-entrance controls. Is there a dungeon here somewhere?

I have no idea what's going on there.
    All i know that there's an angry giant bat monster up there.

ok, tried to move up towards the ship, and got my butt handed to me. I am only lvl 34 on this character, and over estimated my abilities now that I have dropped archery. Looks like I might need to rethink my plans.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Are y'all playing on private servers ? I'm having a bunch of fun with FORTNITE's PVE campaign, but I can easily see myself coming back to CONAN when it launches.

So, anyone else keep loosing their stuff if not placed on foundations?
    So far i've lost a crafting station for the furniture (no biggie, no mats lost), and a Wheel of Pain, which hurts, because it'll take a while to get the materials for that again.