As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Pokemon Go] Ultra Beast mode

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    The special research is the thing that'll eventually give me a shot at Mew I believe? Does that expire at any point? Looking at the list of stuff I think it won't be too bad but stuff like catch a ditto is probably pretty grindy.

We don't know. I think it would be easy to have the Mew research up as the first thing new players, then move on to the other ones. Niantic's been pretty decent at making sure everyone has a chance at most of the Pokemon.

As for Ditto, just grind these guys:

ditto.jpg

The one bad thing about this event is that it's slashed the appearance of things that could be Ditto.

I don't play obsessively and I normally run into at least one Ditto a week. Keep trying!

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    No, Niantic said to someone in a support ticket that the Mythical Discovery research would never expire

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • LeeksLeeks Registered User regular
    I've been sitting on double lures every day at work this week and have seen approximately 10 things that could be ditto (not counting the gastlies which about doubles it). The event is great, unless needing a ditto is where you are stuck.

My wife and I just got EX Raid passes for the first time. At a park where we would almost certainly be that day anyway to walk our dog.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Funny, I was just stuck on the whole catch a ditto thing when I spotted a gastly for my “catch three poison types” goal. I had no idea they could be dittos at the time, either… I didn’t get the poison reward though.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Got everything now except grimer, hitmons, porygon, regionals, and legendaries

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Love the addition of quests. Im supposed to get a bunch of snow overnight which might put a damper on community day.

Love all the gen 1 pikemon coming back in this event. Got so many machops.

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Aside from the regionals and legendaries, I'm just missing Hitmonlee for Kanto completion. Dude's taunting me.

In other news, today's Mareep day! Have you stocked up on Ultraballs and Pinaps? There's also a good deal in the shop with three super incubators (and other stuff) for 480 coins today.

I've also seen news that 10k eggs only need 2.5km walking to hatch for today only, but it's not in the in-game news, so I'm not sure.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Aside from the regionals and legendaries, I'm just missing Hitmonlee for Kanto completion. Dude's taunting me.

In other news, today's Mareep day! Have you stocked up on Ultraballs and Pinaps? There's also a good deal in the shop with three super incubators (and other stuff) for 480 coins today.

I've also seen news that 10k eggs only need 2.5km walking to hatch for today only, but it's not in the in-game news, so I'm not sure.

I heard the 10K bit too.
    Not that I cared; all the 10K eggs go into incubators from events and such anyway...

• ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Community day is supposed to be a nice way to get people out and together, however, my local area has developed a cabal group of horrid people who I caught today being nasty and abusive to families playing the game together in the park.

Speaking to a couple today told me this same group have been mass reporting people they don't like and trolling Ex raids to make sure people not part of the group are unable to finish the raids (jumping out deliberately during). The couple tried reporting them but Niantic as on par are doing nothing.

Made me wish I went to the city centre instead today but in all honesty I Think I'm done with the game now if this is what my local community is dealing with.

Sorry just had to get it off my chest.

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Did a raid today. Husband got three shiny Mareeps. I now have three Amphoros with dragon move. Woo! Wake up Mareeple it’s a good event.

Got two shiny Mareeps :+1:

What's even better is I caught a Dratini and completed my catch a Dragon-type research, and the Dratini encounter from the reward was a shiny!
    Super cool since I missed the Dratini event

Also did my first Ex Raid afterwards, and caught the Mewtwo

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    I haven't seen a single mareep =/

Were you out during the event hours?

Yeah, I was early

I thought it was all day for some reason

Got my amphoros!

Still no grimer, porygon, hitmonanything, or regionals

• Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Leeks wrote: »
    Well over 500 magikarp candy saved up, and I can't find a stupid ditto. I did get one the day before I had that task though, so that was cool...

I was catching dittos and seeing Ghastlys for days until I got to this part of the quest. Only at 3/10 Ghost Pokemon atm. Hopefully I can get to 10 before Tuesday.

I noticed with the Mareep Event that Mareeps in my area were cluster spawning away from Pokestops. I found about 400 candy worth (no Pinaps) simply walking to areas I know where Pokemon Cluster Spawn at to get my Mareeps. I walked a ton today and ended up getting a bunch of 10k hatches. Finally got my Igglypuff, Dinosaur Dragon dude into stage two, some other guy into his stage two (Both hatched with like 67 candy), my second ever Tangela, a Chansey, and three Mareeps. I'll evolve the Mareeps later because apparently the Dragon Pulse move they learn is bottom tier for DPS.

Overall. Mareep is okayish I guess. He's ranked fourth (?) I believe for electric types. Still grateful to finally of gotten another Gen II hard-to-get Pokemon. Especially one that goes into the 2k+ CP range. :D

Waffles or whatever on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Got one high IV mareep to use as a fighter and one decent shiny too. Also did my first 5 star raid since there were so many people at the park. A lot of fun but I didn't manage to catch the Latios/as thing. Got a Scyther from a different raid! I also made it to the "catch a ditto and 10 ghost pokemon" stage of the special research so my Mew draws ever closer.

Yeah, while previous community day mons seem to have lowish IVs, Mareep seemed to have the normal spread. I found a few really good ones.

Also turning every field research into "catch three Mareep" was fun. So much stardust!

• RuldarRuldar Registered User regular
    Community day went well for me. Two shinies, then I finished the day with some raiding that finished up the 10 raids step, and then caught enough Pokemon with berries while we were doing more such that the last raid of the day was a Latios that was my 50th catch (plus I got the excellent curveball along the way). So I caught a Latios at that raid, and then immediately got my Mew as well right amongst the crowd. It was a pretty awesome experience.

• TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    This was by far my most fruitful community day, and I didn't even stay the entire time. I caught a Latias, several shiny Mareep, and a 96% IV almost max level normal Mareep that is now my main Ampharos, and my park also seems to be a Makuhita nest this rotation so I got some work done on my Fighting badge. Good times all around.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
    I only got 1 shiny mareep

34 cp =p

Both the shiny mareeps I saw were pretty low CP and pretty low tier too. I do have a more fightin’ fit Ampharos now though. Also managed to hatch a chansey and evolve my (maxHP) Blissey who I might name “the wall” or something. Plus with all the extra Kanto spawns, all I’m missing now is legendaries and Tauros. I do want to pick up some more Rhydon and Tangela for 4th gen though.

As high CP as Rhydon is already, I wouldn't be overly shocked if they made Rhyperior a branching evolution from Rhyhorn a la Slowbro and Slowking. But we'll have to find out.

• chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Didn't get to enjoy the community day much because we had a pretty rough rainstorm come through yesterday. Went to a close by mall and walked around a bit, but not nearly as enjoyable as being outside. Did get a pink sheep (bad IVs), and a enough candy to promote it and a high IV sheep (though I waited till after the event, because the special move isn't electric, I dunno if that was a good idea or not).

With the ongoing x2 candy event, I got up to 140 in the Kanto region now, I think the only ones that aren't legendary or region exclusives I haven't got are Charizard, Gyrados (up to 350 candy now), Lapras, Omastar, and Snorlax. Pretty happy with that.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
    This event is infuriating for trying to get a ditto. Nearly to 800 magikarp candy though, so I can evolve one once I get to the next stage, and have almost enough to do it again if I ever find a shiny.

That reminds me. I was at a park during community day in an area with a lot of people milling around. One person yelled "the Gastly's a Ditto!" and there was cheering and people jogging over there.

• chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Leeks wrote: »
    This event is infuriating for trying to get a ditto. Nearly to 800 magikarp candy though, so I can evolve one once I get to the next stage, and have almost enough to do it again if I ever find a shiny.

Yeah, I'm still stuck finding a ditto. :(

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
    Japanese official site seems to confirm that the next Community Day is Charmander on May 19th

I had so many dittos. I have around 100 candy for them

I'm guessing now that I need to catch another, I will never see one again

• Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Turambar wrote: »
    Japanese official site seems to confirm that the next Community Day is Charmander on May 19th

Figure July's event is gonna be something hard to get / useful and August will be Squirtle the way this is trending out to be? I figure every other month will be a starter pokemon, which is totes fine for me. I still need to get the Gen 2 Grass/Water starters leveled up.

Waffles or whatever on
    I guess having magikarp be my buddy and hanging out around bodies of water are probably my best best to grind out those candies? I am not looking forward to the "evolve a magikarp" stage.

I guess? The recent event, between extra spawns, double candy, and pinap berries, took me from under 200 to over 500 magikarp candy in a week or so, so there’s that? It’s still got a day to run…

• WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    ...I did not know I was going to need all of those magikarp candies when I threw them into making my current Gyrados more powerful.
    I basically need 400 candies all over again.

I'd say I was done with this game, but I'm already too far down this rabbit hole to just stop now.

WeX Majors wrote: »
    ...I did not know I was going to need all of those magikarp candies when I threw them into making my current Gyrados more powerful.
    I basically need 400 candies all over again.

I'd say I was done with this game, but I'm already too far down this rabbit hole to just stop now.

Well the good news is tomorrow is the last day of the event.

DO YOU WANT TO BE THE VERY BEST? YOU DON'T NEED SLEEP! CATCH THEM ALL NIGHT LONG

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Well this is interesting

I hatched a shiny mareep today

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Oh hey, they are actually bothering to fix something that has been broken since a little after launch. And by fix, I mostly mean "make it suck less"

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    That's been live for a couple of weeks now. When I was visiting my mother over Easter the nearby wanted to send me across town for the snow castform.

Still can't find a ditto, but I've got 818 Magikarp candy. It's weird actively wanting an event to end.

Got a ditto this morning! Now I have to catch like 7 more gastly to get to the next step. I'ma go walk around and look for magikarp.