As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] The FAQ has arrived

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I feel it varies what is a hive as on Armageddon it was more of Mega cities sprawling everywhere compared to the generic hive that would be the usual thing

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    As with most things, almost anything you can think of is going to be out there somewhere in the million worlds of the Imperium. You can have hive cites that might as well be on a space ship, for how they're nothing but cramped corridors, endless passageways, level after level. While others would look like a shot of Coruscant, with the mile high buildings and endless layers of open construction. Or whatever city Bruce Willis was in in The Fifth Element.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    My interest in this is mainly in being able to have weather and aircraft flying inside a hive and how you navigate with those from section to section. Need my dramatic rain and MGS1 Hind-D style fights, yo.

E:
    Accurate

Kadoken on
  • Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Or whatever city Bruce Willis was in in The Fifth Element.

New York! And as a born-and-raised New Yorker I've loved their design my entire life, it just feels right somehow.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Anyone have any recommended sites for bits or is Ebay the way to go?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Stragint wrote: »

depends really on what you are looking for

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »

Mostly weapon bits. Plasma cannons and lascannon for Long Fangs and then I was thinking of replacing the assault bolters on the interceptors that came with the DG vs Primaris box with the plasma exterminators.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular

Mostly weapon bits. Plasma cannons and lascannon for Long Fangs and then I was thinking of replacing the assault bolters on the interceptors that came with the DG vs Primaris box with the plasma exterminators.

https://bitsandkits.co.uk/ has been reliable over the years i've used them

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Man, Kaiser Peachpunk is really growing to be a 40k personality.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular

You may also want to try making molds with blue stuff like so:
    https://youtu.be/mVZLXLaidjQ

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I can’t remember if it was this thread, but someone was bemoaning the cost of adding a bunch of Admech dragoons to their army. There’s a couple going for 15 each at my local store if someone wants to buy em up, with some extra thrown in for shipping.
    IE1EAt8.jpg

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/hsNiOrxC4ac

Another Nick Nanavati video. Which is silly. I lost a game exactly how the space wolf player did. And it is kind of silly. Also the shortest game ever!

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    I can’t remember if it was this thread, but someone was bemoaning the cost of adding a bunch of Admech dragoons to their army. There’s a couple going for 15 each at my local store if someone wants to buy em up, with some extra thrown in for shipping.
    IE1EAt8.jpg

Pm'd

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Another Nick Nanavati video. Which is silly. I lost a game exactly how the space wolf player did. And it is kind of silly. Also the shortest game ever!
    I was expecting a turn 1 concession after losing most of his army or something before I saw the open war cards and pretty much knew what was going to happen.

• Options
    edited April 2018

I was expecting a turn 1 concession after losing most of his army or something before I saw the open war cards and pretty much knew what was going to happen.

My friends and I talked about this video a lot and how ridiculous it was. Also not the first time John lost pretty quick. He did one with a Chaos Demons army vs Deathwatch and each player nominated a character to be a special character and if it died they lost. John forgot and put his special character balls deep in close combat and lost him turn 2.

Stragint on

• Options
    I've definitely been put in a no win situation on the first turn like having a shooting army surrounded in melee by orks but definitively losing instantly like that would leave me pretty speechless

• Options
    Played verse guard tonight. It was 6 Leman russes, Celestine, guard blobs, psions, and a valk. Pretty standard guard. I was running a fun list because god damn it I wanted to run my landraider. Its a really neat model I never really get to use. In 5th it just got blown up and was a more expensive shittier land raider anyway.

It absorb a good amount of fire. The Defiler ate probably 15 battle cannon shots before dying. And two lascannons. My opponent due to malstrom cards had to move up to the middle getting a bit too close to me and my army letting me eat through his stuff. My termis killed 1.9 tanks, celestine, and some guard.

Ended up calling do to time. My opponent is traditionally a Space Wolf player and is still learning his guard army so he had to look up a lot. I suggested some Sigmar style cards since he plays that and he said it would be good as he is taking guard, possibly, to NOVA. It will speed up his play a lot. Also it was his first game with maelstrom cards. I do enjoy them. It was the mission where you keep them secret which was fun.

Thoughts on the units:

Defiler-Still either absorbs an amazing amount of damage, killed a company commander in close combat that dropped out of a valk giving me a point. I still like it. Even got a 6 on its battle cannon when it shot. Also I just like the big crab.

Maulerfiend-It lived, it got into combat due to the opponent getting close and some good use of los blocking terrain on my part. Killed two taurox primes. It did good.

Noise Marines-I had something worth shooting at! Sonic blasters are great verse normal guard saves. Still my masters of holding my backline. Did 1 damage to a valk with a doom siren too. Also two died to psion fire, shot back and killed 0 psions in response due to my opponent rolling 5 5+ saves.

Termis-Killed a leman russ and a tank commander or close to it. Killed Celestine's body guards and survived a lot of fire and the charge.

Jump lord-Killed Celestine, enough said. We didn't roll the comeback because he had to pack up. That fist when it hits is so good.

Landraider-Killed a lot of guard? But it looked neat.

Possessed-Never left he landraider, if we had time would of probably wiped out a flank.

I think next game going to just be mean and bring out the Alpha Legion play. Similar builds but I swap out the noise marines for normal CSM+cultist screen and bring in a vanguard with possessed and noise marines.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Played my alpha legion Khorne list again today. Thinking there must be quite a few other alpha legion players in the area because they got a lot of moans and groans during setup. I never had a unit further than 12” to take advantage of the -1, so I guess it’s just residual bitching from other losses. Did a lot better, only forgot maybe 10% of my rules this time.

Had some more grumbles over bringing a Lord of Skulls. I could see it being obnoxious on smaller points games, but 2k seems like an acceptable level to bring a superheavy? That 635 points sure as hell could have been spent on killier stuff.

• Options
    Played my alpha legion Khorne list again today. Thinking there must be quite a few other alpha legion players in the area because they got a lot of moans and groans during setup. I never had a unit further than 12” to take advantage of the -1, so I guess it’s just residual bitching from other losses. Did a lot better, only forgot maybe 10% of my rules this time.

Had some more grumbles over bringing a Lord of Skulls. I could see it being obnoxious on smaller points games, but 2k seems like an acceptable level to bring a superheavy? That 635 points sure as hell could have been spent on killier stuff.

Almost all my list have a way of killing a super heavy in a single turn if you have only 1. At 2k it isn't hard to blow up something like a knight, primarch, or lord of skulls.

One of our guys has the 3 baneblade list. He doesn't play it all the time but uses it as the gatekeeper list we throw some of our tourney trials at.

Almost all list can blow up a baneblade a turn easily. He got tabled in 3 turns by dark eldar today.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I've definitely been put in a no win situation on the first turn like having a shooting army surrounded in melee by orks but definitively losing instantly like that would leave me pretty speechless

I took a turn 1 win a little while back during a capture and burn type maelstrom mission (I forget what it was called, but basically three objectives on each side, capture an opponent's objective and you burn it at the end of your turn, burn all three objectives to win) with Hammer and Anvil deployment. I deployed a Terminator party into a teleportarium, some dudes and dreads on my objectives, and a tasty dual assault cannon razorback as bait riiiiiight on the deployment line in some cover. My opponent was playing Orks and went first, advanced all of his dudes in a huge line across the board, and took out the Razorback (he couldn't afford to let a 12 shot gun that hits on 3s stick around since it would autokill ork boyz on successful hits due to its AP). He was planning on sweeping forward and drowning my Space Marines in a sea of Boyz to take my objectives, but in doing so he had left his own objectives undefended, so when my turn began I just teleported terminators onto all three of his objectives and won instantly. We played it out and he tabled me a few turns later, but it still felt nice getting a turn 1 win. My opponent was less than thrilled, but that was mainly because he just made one of those forehead slapping mistakes that we all make from time to time. I managed to tear his Warboss's head off in cc with a Contemptor, but outside of that it was a general shooting retreat for my army, and I'm sure my opponent felt better as he cut my dudes down unit by unit.

I don't think that there is anything inherently wrong with maelstrom missions, it's just that certain combinations can really screw certain armies. I played one a while back where my deployment zone was a strip in the center, and my opponent's deployment zones were on the two edges of the board. Both sides had three objectives, so between having to either split my army in half or move to one side of the board and then somehow move my entire army six feet to the other side of the board to capture all of the objectives (while taking fire from both sides, and without letting my opponent capture my objectives) that mission was hopeless for me. It also seems like a lot of the twists heavily favor assault type armies (no morale phase, can't shoot anything more than 12" away, etc).

It would be cool if GW would just release more "official" missions like the ones in the brb or Chapter Approved, or more missions based on recreating "historical events" in the 40k timeline.

• Options
    bsct9ccyl45y.jpg

My daemons are rapidly approaching 2000 points! I'm planning on getting a full 30 pink horror unit and some brim/blue units to fill out the tzeentch battalion.

There are about 500 points to go, and the ideas I'm currently juggling are
    -Get Rotigus and put him in a batallion with a poxbringer and the nurglings
    -Make a fast attack detachment with seekers/fiends so I can represent slaanesh in some way
    -Ally in obliterators or other shooty chaos marines. This is probably the strongest choice but I'm in love with playing my army out of a single book lately

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Played verse guard tonight. It was 6 Leman russes, Celestine, guard blobs, psions, and a valk. Pretty standard guard. I was running a fun list because god damn it I wanted to run my landraider. Its a really neat model I never really get to use. In 5th it just got blown up and was a more expensive shittier land raider anyway.

It absorb a good amount of fire. The Defiler ate probably 15 battle cannon shots before dying. And two lascannons. My opponent due to malstrom cards had to move up to the middle getting a bit too close to me and my army letting me eat through his stuff. My termis killed 1.9 tanks, celestine, and some guard.

Ended up calling do to time. My opponent is traditionally a Space Wolf player and is still learning his guard army so he had to look up a lot. I suggested some Sigmar style cards since he plays (snip)

Sigmar style cards? What are these?

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »

Ended up calling do to time. My opponent is traditionally a Space Wolf player and is still learning his guard army so he had to look up a lot. I suggested some Sigmar style cards since he plays (snip)

Sigmar style cards? What are these?
    I am guessing dataslates for your units.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    All the age of sigmar unit rules are free online stuff so you either print out cards for references or check your phone constantly.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    They also sell packs of cards which contain printed versions of all the units in a single army book, along with some cardboard tokens and markers to keep track of spells/abilities/buffs etc.

I'd guess the only reason they don't do that for 40k is that there tend to be way more different units in your average 40k codex than you get in an AoS force.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    They don't do it for 40K because people wouldn't spend $25 for an Index and then $60 on a Codex and then an additional $40 every year on Chapter Approved if they could just print out datasheets for free.

After seeing how you were expected to buy an $80 rulebook plus a $60 codex plus multiple $40+ expansion books in 7th edition, I decided that after getting a rulebook in Dark Imperium as well as buying an Index at launch I wasn't going to be spending any more money on books, and I bought a cheap used 8" tablet instead. Having every Codex, Index, and supplement as well as Battlescribe (and its easy to read PDF army rosters) on one superportable device that fits inside my model case is lightyears better than lugging around a pile of books.

• Options
    Going the tablet route also means you get codexes that automatically update the points costs and stats of units as they change.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Am playing my first game of 40k in 2018 today

Also my first 2k point game in 8th

Friend is bringing Dark Eldar against my Death Guard; a battle of poison vs. rot

My list is a mix of mean and fun

Mean: 2x Plagueburst Crawlers, Mortarion Daemon Prince, Blightlord Termonators, Bloat Drone, Plaguecaster

Fun: poxwalkers, plague marines with cc weapons, plague surgeon

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular

I just fought a list with my Necrons in 2k with 12cp, a Knight Atrapos (which is T8 and 25 wounds), 2 Armigers (which have 14 a piece), and 2 Russes. I had very little if any dedicated anti-armor and the Nightbringer is gimped vs vehicles.

I only lost by 1 vp. My only regret was wasting shots on the Atrapos. Taking a big titanic model is good in 2k, but it is also a limitation.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Am playing my first game of 40k in 2018 today

Also my first 2k point game in 8th

Friend is bringing Dark Eldar against my Death Guard; a battle of poison vs. rot

My list is a mix of mean and fun

Mean: 2x Plagueburst Crawlers, Mortarion Daemon Prince, Blightlord Termonators, Bloat Drone, Plaguecaster

Fun: poxwalkers, plague marines with cc weapons, plague surgeon

If you fight against Loyalist Marines, give him the plaguesword relic. It turns him into a crazy good beater between the extra attack generation and mortal wounds

• Options
    Going the tablet route also means you get codexes that automatically update the points costs and stats of units as they change.

I know but I need to update my kindle sadly

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    8th edition is kind of trippy in what needs to be unlearned from previous edition, and how to play it out now. I feel like I'm doing something wrong with close combat - so first, I charge, take overwatch, if I make it into combat, my guys all swing. Then my opponent swings back. That's all clear, and if both units survive, they stay within 1" of each other, which keeps them tied up until the next turn, at which point my opponent can nominate his unit to fight in CC, and then mine swings back?

The lack of initiative and being locked in combat seems to have blown a wire somewhere.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Uh… if I get what you’re saying, turn 1 you charge and attack, they attack back… OK. Then turn 2 they make no charges but choose their unit because it’s their turn and they get to choose first? Yeah, sounds right.

It gets really interesting when there are multiple ongoing combats going on; if no-one charges, you alternate unit activation so if Unit A is engaged with Unit 1 and Unit B with Unit 2, then if Unit A attacks 1st, the other player could activate Unit 2. And, if either unit managed to wipe out its opponents, then no return attacks happen.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Its like a weird hybrid of Sigmar and initiative. Also a rule set I am terrible with as I play Emperor's Children 90% of the time which means I always strike first or if I get charged it is a back and forth instead of charged first then me.

But basics it is:

1)Units that charged go first
    2)Unit whose turn it is
    3)Other players units

Then back and forth there. Though there are things that screw with this:

1)Some armies/units always go first. If they are charged it just goes automatically into a back and forth with the charging player choosing one unit first.
    2)After at least one combat an opponent can spend 2 cp to interrupt combat.

I really like close combat in 8th. There is a lot of thinking that goes into when and where you do it.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Thus ends my Big Weekend of Warhammer. Had that old familiar nightmare, a melee army vs an IG gunline on dawn of war deployment. Lord of Skulls performed as usual, killed some stuff, blew up a knight in melee, then got evaporated by 12 lascannons.
    The MVPs were a 40-man blob of World Eater cultists that got buffed by Fabulous Bill and were putting out 4 attacks each. They ran roughshod over a whole board half, got brought back twice to full strength from the brink of death, and were finally cornered and annihilated by Hellhounds and mass lasguns on his table edge.
    I think I have to go back to Alpha Legion for the melee horde though. Being able to deploy infantry in his face before turn 1 is a better buff than any amount of extra attacks, plus slay the warlord protection, plus -1 to hit my ranged stuff.

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    8th edition is kind of trippy in what needs to be unlearned from previous edition, and how to play it out now. I feel like I'm doing something wrong with close combat - so first, I charge, take overwatch, if I make it into combat, my guys all swing. Then my opponent swings back. That's all clear, and if both units survive, they stay within 1" of each other, which keeps them tied up until the next turn, at which point my opponent can nominate his unit to fight in CC, and then mine swings back?

The lack of initiative and being locked in combat seems to have blown a wire somewhere.
    initiative is handled different now and isn't really apparent until you charge with multiple units in a turn.
    Basically you resolve all your units that charge first, then starting with the active player you each alternate until all units that can attack have attacked.

so you charge with your units A and B into enemy unit Y who was already engaged with your unit C
    first A and B both get to make attacks (because they charged), then because it is your turn you get to nominate one of your units that is in melee and has not already fought this phase to fight (C). once that has happened your opponent gets to nominate a unit to attack (Y). then you again if you have any units engaged but that had not been selected yet this phase.

if its your turn the sequence looks like
    1. Units that Charged
    2. You get to nominate a unit (not one that already fought)
    3. Other player gets to nominate a unit
    4. repeat from 2 until you both run out of units that can fight

Also you are not locked in combat, either player can fall back in their movement phase (doing so means you can't then shoot in that shooting phase unless you have the "FLY" keyword, but then you couldnt shoot while in melee anyway)
    you can decide to stay in melee, but you are not required to.

Viking on
    steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    Okay, awesome, then I did have everything more or less correct - I had friends over this weekend who were getting their first games of 8th edition in, and I had five previous of 'that's not how this works, that's not how any of this works!' playing in the back of my head, making me doubt that I was doing everything right.

• Options
    novaspikenovaspike Registered User regular
    Two things to watch for: lots of armies have stratagems that let them fall back and still shoot or charge, and in melee you can still shoot pistols at the unit your engaged with.

• Options
    My favorite thing about the Necron Wraiths is that they can shoot and charge even if they fell back because of Wraith form. It allows me to abuse the Novokh dynasty Awakened by Murder rule which let's me reroll failed hit rolls for a Novokh unit that charged, was charged, or performed a heroic intervention this turn.

I still haven't had a chance to use the Novokh specific stratagem Blood Rites which gives my Novokh units a second fight phase after the first ends.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    So I have a game coming up where I am part of a team and have approximately 1k points to spend on my army. Choosing between Death Guard and Nurgle as my Necrons aren't ready yet, but deciding I want to primarily support my partners army as he's more limited on models.

I've got most of it worked out if I go Death Guard, but due to detachment limits / my other choices, I have 157 points left.

Do I go Foul Blightspawn and 21 cultists or a Helbrute with twin lascannon and missile launcher?
    My favorite thing about the Necron Wraiths is that they can shoot and charge even if they fell back because of Wraith form. It allows me to abuse the Novokh dynasty Awakened by Murder rule which let's me reroll failed hit rolls for a Novokh unit that charged, was charged, or performed a heroic intervention this turn.

I still haven't had a chance to use the Novokh specific stratagem Blood Rites which gives my Novokh units a second fight phase after the first ends.

I can't wait until my Necrons are done. They play differently than my Death Guard and Nurgle, so it'll be exciting.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
This discussion has been closed.