As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Natural disasters] Hurricane season is upon us

• kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Given how bad the mudslides were earlier this year that is a wise move to do a mandatory evac. By the time you realize you have a problem in a mudslide it is well past the time to evacuate.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    https://www.facebook.com/roger.gaylord/videos/1832854900104663/?hc_ref=ARRrOiSH55O7g2wdK8l0pHquOX6HJVzI76EeWDigEONj_0iBd2Am6XPO1L1VJ07Wyco

Flooding in the suburbs/foothills outside of Sacramento. One of a couple places. There was one storm that came through that dropped an obscene amount. Drainage system couldn't take it, a couple manhole covers blew off, etc.

Once the storm passed through everything had drained out within about an hour, but that was a nuts short bit.

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Unsurprisingly, Harvey, Irma, Maria, and Nate all got retired from the rotating hurricane name list.

By the way, we still don't have an accurate death count for Puerto Rico due to Trump's negligence, but some estimates are now saying it's over a thousand. It should be Trump's Katrina but it's already forgotten by the masses and media.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Unsurprisingly, Harvey, Irma, Maria, and Nate all got retired from the rotating hurricane name list.

By the way, we still don't have an accurate death count for Puerto Rico due to Trump's negligence, but some estimates are now saying it's over a thousand. It should be Trump's Katrina but it's already forgotten by the masses and media.

It's the Gish Gallop applied to scandals.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Bumping this to check

Everybody in Hawaii ok?

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    No deaths from the eruption so far, but 26 buildings have gone up and ten vents are open. Dunno if we have anyone from the Pahoa area on the forums.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Saw some lightning as I was headed to bed so I checked the radar, and is it just me or is there a small hurricane in SE Iowa right now?

d2492ebyzb7u.png
    I know it's not really a hurricane, but I do find it interesting that according to weatherunderground's app, the pressure readings in that storms "eye" is about 980mbar, which could make it a rather strong hurricane if it were over the atlantic.

I hope everyone is staying safe.

Veevee on
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Cyclone! It’s a cyclone!

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    It's not a cyclone until it drops a house on a witch

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I thought that was a twister?

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I thought that was a twister?

Did you see a cow?

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Things in Hawaii have not concluded by the way. Here's a video of the lava flow last night, provided by a local news reporter:

Seriously, I dunno how many forumers live out there, but be safe.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Things in Hawaii have not concluded by the way. Here's a video of the lava flow last night, provided by a local news reporter:

Seriously, I dunno how many forumers live out there, but be safe.
    Agreed.

But to paraphrase C3PO, "the damage doesn't look so bad from up there". While it's obviously not the case for the people whose property is in the path, there's a certain kind of beauty to the flow. The colors just seem vivid.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I can't imagine how it must feel to have the place on the left with that heading towards it. A (relatively) slow-moving but utterly unstoppable wall of just pure destruction. I'm not sure if the speed of it must feel merciful (for giving you the time to get out) or sadistic (for dragging out the inevitable). Probably both.

It is beautiful, certainly, when watching from afar at least; but it is also terrible, which I mean in the terror-inducing sense of the word. Nature's fury but incarnated in a way that no other form of disaster seems to. Most others are sudden destruction; the creeping lava is grim inevitability.

Stay safe, any of you out there.

Jazz on
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    The thing I'm most curious about is what happens next. Like, you can't really just 'clean up' molten lava or what's left when everything stops burning.

sig.gif
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    The thing I'm most curious about is what happens next. Like, you can't really just 'clean up' molten lava or what's left when everything stops burning.

Pretty sure they can, just like tearing up a road / carting off a demolished building.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    At least Harvey didn't bust open the GNL
    Galveston National Lab, which, per Wikipedia,
    is a high security National Biocontainment Laboratory housing several Biosafety level 4 research laboratories, run by the University of Texas Medical Branch for exotic disease diagnosis and research. The GNL is one of only two such facilities in the United States and the largest one in the world located on an academic campus.

Yeah, they put that in hurricane territory.

I mean, eventually it just hardens into rock again.

steam_sig.png
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    There was also the first significant lava injury, some lava spatter hit someone in the leg and shattered everything from the shin down.

Also the recent fissure has started a brush fire so now there's not only lava but a fire heading towards some residential areas. Because lava and earthquakes and sulfur dioxide and ashfall wasn't enough, apparently.

Pretty sure they can, just like tearing up a road / carting off a demolished building.

Depends on the depth and solidity of the deposit. If it's sound enough you could route a road over the top, like what they're doing on that landslide on California's Highway 1. There's absolutely no way anything like that gets done while the rifts are still active though. As for the dude who got hit in the leg... at the risk of sounding crass, there's a reason they've been trying so hard to evacuate everyone in those subdivisions, hopefully this has the rest of the holdouts getting out.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Dig it up.
    Pumice gets sold off to various industrial and commercial interests.
    Ash becomes soil enrichment for farms.
    Basalt and scoria becomes building material.
    Lava flows create really useful materials.

It's important to realize that "What happens next" is also a long way off. Lava flows can last months or years, and Kilauea's activity may get worse for people long before it gets better. They've had several ash falls and they're under a warning that Kilauea may have even more violent eruptions soon.
    Either way, those people aren't getting that land back any time soon.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    There was also the first significant lava injury, some lava spatter hit someone in the leg and shattered everything from the shin down.

Also the recent fissure has started a brush fire so now there's not only lava but a fire heading towards some residential areas. Because lava and earthquakes and sulfur dioxide and ashfall wasn't enough, apparently.

I'm honestly surprised there hasn't been more fire.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

I would assume the sulphur dioxide gas helps smother any fires that do break out.

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    And in "Worst ways mothernature can kill you" news, Hawaii lava finally reaches the Pacific -- only to create another deadly danger
    Laze -- a mashup of "lava" and "haze" -- is a nasty product formed when hot lava hits the ocean, sending hydrochloric acid and volcanic glass particles into the air.

And now it's a real threat after lava crossed Highway 137 late Saturday night and entered the Pacific Ocean, the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory said.

Laze can cause lung, eye and skin irritation. And it has proven deadly in the past.

"This hot, corrosive gas mixture caused two deaths immediately adjacent to the coastal entry point in 2000, when seawater washed across recent and active lava flows," the HVO said.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Dig it up.
    Pumice gets sold off to various industrial and commercial interests.
    Ash becomes soil enrichment for farms.
    Basalt and scoria becomes building material.
    Lava flows create really useful materials.

It's important to realize that "What happens next" is also a long way off. Lava flows can last months or years, and Kilauea's activity may get worse for people long before it gets better. They've had several ash falls and they're under a warning that Kilauea may have even more violent eruptions soon.
    Either way, those people aren't getting that land back any time soon.

It should also be noted that even when the lava stops flowing, it takes a not inconsiderable amount of time before it cools down enough for people to do anything with or around it. I remember checking out the old flows a few years back (more specifically, 2013), and there were signs posted to not touch the hardened 2012 material as it was still too hot for unprotected hands.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    And in "Worst ways mothernature can kill you" news, Hawaii lava finally reaches the Pacific -- only to create another deadly danger
    Laze -- a mashup of "lava" and "haze" -- is a nasty product formed when hot lava hits the ocean, sending hydrochloric acid and volcanic glass particles into the air.

And now it's a real threat after lava crossed Highway 137 late Saturday night and entered the Pacific Ocean, the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory said.

Laze can cause lung, eye and skin irritation. And it has proven deadly in the past.

"This hot, corrosive gas mixture caused two deaths immediately adjacent to the coastal entry point in 2000, when seawater washed across recent and active lava flows," the HVO said.

I would have thought the sulphur dioxide would become sulphuric acid in the steam...

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

So basically the movie Volcano really just ended on one last middle finger from Mother Nature.

Phoenix-D wrote: »

I figured the ground, plants, and the air have to be very damp from the usual rainfall in the area. There are videos of the lava creeping up on places and the grass isn't even getting singed right in front of it. Houses have to be in contact before they start burning. It's hard for fires to get started when there's not dry fuel.

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Fissure 22 started a flow going in the opposite direction, northwest onto the Puna Geothermal Venture property. It stopped a few hundred meters away from the wells, but it's definitely something being monitored.

Two of the three active wells are in the final stages of being killed, but one of them is causing some problems in the quenching process.

State officials are now expanding air quality monitoring to inlcude hydrogen sulfide checks as well.

I guess the good news is that they at least moved the stored 60,000 gallons of pentane off the power plant site the other week.

Elderlycrawfish on
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    CNN's website (and others, I'm sure) have a live camera on what is basically a fountain of lava.

• AimAim Registered User regular
    Something that surprised me, but the current events are just part of an eruption that has being going on since 1983: https://amp.livescience.com/27622-kilauea.html

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Not to take away from the more pressing matter in Hawaii, but there's about a 70% chance that an area of low pressure in the Gulf of Mexico becomes a tropical depression by Saturday evening. Nothing incredibly severe (I don't think), but definitely a ton of rain inbound. Florida (at least central Florida) has been inundated with rain for like... the last 9 or 10 days. Yesterday and today are the only days I've actually seen the sun in the past week anyway.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Not to take away from the more pressing matter in Hawaii, but there's about a 70% chance that an area of low pressure in the Gulf of Mexico becomes a tropical depression by Saturday evening. Nothing incredibly severe (I don't think), but definitely a ton of rain inbound. Florida (at least central Florida) has been inundated with rain for like... the last 9 or 10 days. Yesterday and today are the only days I've actually seen the sun in the past week anyway.

Its been gloomy, but this makes it sounds like we are flooding. Even in my swamp our water levels are plenty healthy and the lakes have plenty of room to fill. This weather isn't anywhere close to a disaster, nor is a Tropical Depression generally speaking.

I do miss being able to go for a jog, though.

Enc on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »

Its been gloomy, but this makes it sounds like we are flooding. Even in my swamp our water levels are plenty healthy and the lakes have plenty of room to fill. This weather isn't anywhere close to a disaster, nor is a Tropical Depression generally speaking.

How's the Encmire handling the rain.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Just tossing out a general heads up for folks in Florida/along the Gulf Coast. I hadn't heard anything about potential tropical development until this morning. There's also a chance of it developing into a Tropical Storm(though only a very small chance), so It's probably worth keeping an eye on.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Enc wrote: »

How's the Encmire handling the rain.

Extremely well. I got it entirely cleared, the roots bored out, then ran out of money until my roof gets completed next month. For about a month now its just been open dirt and contributing to the aquifer well. No puddles or anything.

Of course, now it's 50% wild bermuda grass and is starting to look like a lawn, but I'll be able to tear all that up as soon as I can afford to switch it into the stone and pebbles for the rock garden I'm putting in.

Just tossing out a general heads up for folks in Florida/along the Gulf Coast. I hadn't heard anything about potential tropical development until this morning. There's also a chance of it developing into a Tropical Storm(though only a very small chance), so It's probably worth keeping an eye on.

A tropical storm is a reason to drink and then later rake your front lawn and straighten overturned porch furniture.

Give me that free day off.

edited May 2018
    Hey kids who wants to see some lava

edit- oh I guess those don't embed automatically.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
    Cyclone Mekunu in the Arabian Sea just reached the equivalent of Category 3 strength and looks like it's going to make a direct hit on the port, resort city, and provincial capital of Salalah in Oman. It already pummelled the island of Socotra, leaving widespread flooding and 19 missing and feared dead.

Salalah is very flat, right on the coast, and just to the north are mountains.

Salalah-Oman-from-space-850x500.jpg

salalah03.jpg

Rainfall over the next three days is predicted to be more than the usual annual rainfall in the area. So there will be flooding and flash flooding, especially as that rain washes down the mountains, on top of the usual storm surges. This could get very bad.

This discussion has been closed.