As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How do I sell stuff online?

NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
I want to sell something online. I've never done it and I would like some advice. First thing that came to mind was, of course, Ebay. However, I've heard some not so positive things about it, like how people will bid up your item and then cancel so they can sell THEIR item. I've had Craigslist and Letgo recommended to me, but those seems so... open to possible shennanigans? Like, how is the money exchanged, do I have to ship it, what if we want to meet in person somewhere, etc. I kind of like the idea of a middleman like Ebay to make things easy and keep things on the up and up and make the transfer of money safe, but not if it's going to be a gigantic hassle or something. Opinions?

• dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    This advice may be different based on what you're selling I think.

I only have experience with craigslist and it was pretty painless, though I wasn't looking to make a bunch of money and would have taken any amount so there was no real reason to try to "steal" the exercise bike I was selling.

If it's a nice acoustic guitar, probably call a couple local shops to see if anyone buys that sort of thing. If it's an iphone there are a number of buyback websites that will give you okay money for it.

Edit: The transfer of money shouldn't be unsafe really, most people who are reasonable will meet you at a bank or something. If someone wont meet you in a bank parking lot, they aren't worth the risk.

dispatch.o on
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    It depends on what it is, of course. Is it large and heavy -- probably craigslist. If not, probably ebay. Or if its hobby/activity related, a forum or group dedicated to that activity would be a good place to list it.

If its craigslist, meet in a public place, verify the funds, etc...

• NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    It's a drone with a built in camera. Price wise it's around 50 bucks online. It's still in the box as I have never even opened it.

How do I "verify funds"? I know that sounds like a dumb question, but please bear with me.

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »
    It's a drone with a built in camera. Price wise it's around 50 bucks online. It's still in the box as I have never even opened it.

How do I "verify funds"? I know that sounds like a dumb question, but please bear with me.

$50? Cash. No weird checks.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Cash only. Meet in a public place like a coffee shop, library, or some cities offer their police station parking lots to sell online.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Yep. Just take cash, meet in public in person, refuse all non-cash, non-in-person offers no matter what.

• NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Should I try something like Craigslist or Letgo for this? Is Ebay a hassle?

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Jumping in (let me know if I should make my own thread) with very similar questions. My folks found an old Princess Leia action figure from when I was a kid. It is most likely a gift that was never given, but it is one of the 1977 or '78 ones with the ad for the missile-firing Boba Fett action figures on the back.
    This seems to me to much more likely move through the mail via an eBay or what have you situation -- any input on what to do or what to look out for would be most appreciated.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Nobeard wrote: »
    Should I try something like Craigslist or Letgo for this? Is Ebay a hassle?

Yes, or Facebook if your want to deal with that; there's probably a selling groupfor your area.

eBay may not be worth a single $50 item which you'll likely have to sell for $30.

MichaelLC on
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    Jumping in (let me know if I should make my own thread) with very similar questions. My folks found an old Princess Leia action figure from when I was a kid. It is most likely a gift that was never given, but it is one of the 1977 or '78 ones with the ad for the missile-firing Boba Fett action figures on the back.
    This seems to me to much more likely move through the mail via an eBay or what have you situation -- any input on what to do or what to look out for would be most appreciated.

Depending on the condition, you might want to look into some more specialized collector sites who will give you top dollar for that.