As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dad of War: Axe Me About My Son[God of War]

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I'm interested in how they address this in the new one since 3 ends with
    Basically the apocalypse. All the gods are dead, all the vegetation is dead, and it seems like everything is flooded. I guess it was just confined to Greece?
    The way I saw it:
    Everything was screwed up because the gods took over all these natural forces, so when they died they lost control of them.
    The sun existed before Helios showed up, Poseidon didn't create the seas, etc
    So there was some chaos when they died and everything went screwy, but eventually they settled down to working normally again (helped by Kratos releasing hope back to everywhere). The sun was coming out in the very final scene, so the apocalypse was wearing off.

The general vibe I got from the gods was 'the mortals can't possibly fend for themselves, they need us to rule over them from our massive palace while we get them to make massive statues of us and praise us'. It was essentially an abusive relationship where the abuser insists that they're so good to their partner, but they just make them hurt them sometimes, it's not their fault.

And so much of what happened with Kratos was their own fault. Like every single time they had a chance, they screwed him over and just pissed him off even more, and just said that what they just did was his fault.

tldr; The greek gods were all tremendous dicks even before the thing happened to explain them being dicks, and I'm not sorry they died.

Except for Athena*

She seemed genuinely good, and really just wanted to help Kratos. But shockingly Kratos fucked that up too :P

I don't remember Athena having any shady ulterior motives, anyways.
    Lied to and manipulated Kratos for ten years, promising something she knew they couldn't/wouldn't do, denied him the chance to just die and get it over with, then sent him after Zeus so she could be the one true god, keeping the power of hope for herself because the mortals won't know what to do with it.

Less overtly cruel than most of the rest, but still not what I'd call good.

Honestly, at least three of the games could have been avoided if they'd just let Kratos die and go into Elysium and agreed to leave him alone.
    IIRC, she made him believe they could return his wife and child to him, that he had killed. But after he had done everything she wanted, she was like 'The gods can't return them to you... but we like *totally* forgive you for your sins now. We good?'

And no... Kratos was not good with that revelation.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I have read multiple reviews, and they're all saying the same thing. They're using hyperbolic language usually reserved for Nintendo, Naughty Dog, and From Software. It apparently really is that good.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Yeah, the only "negative" given the range of reviews that I've seen basically states that they took all the trendy things in other games and mashed them together really well into this game.

That was an 8/10.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    Basically the apocalypse. All the gods are dead, all the vegetation is dead, and it seems like everything is flooded. I guess it was just confined to Greece?
    The way I saw it:
    Everything was screwed up because the gods took over all these natural forces, so when they died they lost control of them.
    So there was some chaos when they died and everything went screwy, but eventually they settled down to working normally again (helped by Kratos releasing hope back to everywhere). The sun was coming out in the very final scene, so the apocalypse was wearing off.

The general vibe I got from the gods was 'the mortals can't possibly fend for themselves, they need us to rule over them from our massive palace while we get them to make massive statues of us and praise us'. It was essentially an abusive relationship where the abuser insists that they're so good to their partner, but they just make them hurt them sometimes, it's not their fault.

And so much of what happened with Kratos was their own fault. Like every single time they had a chance, they screwed him over and just pissed him off even more, and just said that what they just did was his fault.

tldr; The greek gods were all tremendous dicks even before the thing happened to explain them being dicks, and I'm not sorry they died.

Except for Athena*

She seemed genuinely good, and really just wanted to help Kratos. But shockingly Kratos fucked that up too :P

Lied to and manipulated Kratos for ten years, promising something she knew they couldn't/wouldn't do, denied him the chance to just die and get it over with, then sent him after Zeus so she could be the one true god, keeping the power of hope for herself because the mortals won't know what to do with it.

Honestly, at least three of the games could have been avoided if they'd just let Kratos die and go into Elysium and agreed to leave him alone.
    IIRC, she made him believe they could return his wife and child to him, that he had killed. But after he had done everything she wanted, she was like 'The gods can't return them to you... but we like *totally* forgive you for your sins now. We good?'

He wasn't asking for them back, only wanted the nightmares gone. They all kept on saying "Yeah, do this and I'll totally talk to the others and make this happen".
    He falls for it in Chains of Olympus, recognises that he was jerked around, but resolves to keep serving them, because he still has the faint hope that they might keep their word.
    I still say GoW1 Kratos was pretty justifiably angry, and he has more than a few not-angry moments; later Kratos wouldn't have jumped off that cliff. It wasn't until 2 and 3 that the anger got dialed up to eleven. Looks like he's back to being human instead of a parody, which is nice.

For GoW1, he still had hope that they'd keep their word to him. After they break that he loses that hope, and they still don't stop screwing him over. He's non-stop angry from 2 onwards because rage is the only thing he has left, the light at the end of the tunnel has gone out.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    And in three, Gaia and the other Titans who he thought were on his side, and had saved him at the beginning of two, betray him also and toss him aside as useless after serving his purpose at the end of two by bringing them to the future.

Three is nothing but all rage all the time turned to 11. Which they handled in the end pretty well with the final battle where it literally doesn't stop, until you stop hitting buttons. It will let you keep going forever and never actually tell you "You're done, you can stop now."

I'm really excited for this game because this is the exact and only way you save a character like Kratos. Aged, somber, and cynical he just wanted to live out his days quietly.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    And in three, Gaia and the other Titans who he thought were on his side, and had saved him at the beginning of two, betray him also and toss him aside as useless after serving his purpose at the end of two by bringing them to the future.

My favorite part of GoW3 was when Cronos said to Kratos something along the lines of "I should have expected as much from someone who murders their own kin"

I'm like yo fuckface, did you of all people really just say that?

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    The way I saw it:

Except for Athena*

He wasn't asking for them back, only wanted the nightmares gone. They all kept on saying "Yeah, do this and I'll totally talk to the others and make this happen".
    He falls for it in Chains of Olympus, recognises that he was jerked around, but resolves to keep serving them, because he still has the faint hope that they might keep their word.
    I still say GoW1 Kratos was pretty justifiably angry, and he has more than a few not-angry moments; later Kratos wouldn't have jumped off that cliff. It wasn't until 2 and 3 that the anger got dialed up to eleven. Looks like he's back to being human instead of a parody, which is nice.

For GoW1, he still had hope that they'd keep their word to him. After they break that he loses that hope, and they still don't stop screwing him over. He's non-stop angry from 2 onwards because rage is the only thing he has left, the light at the end of the tunnel has gone out.

Aethena
    Kratos could totally hear the venom and greed in her voice when she was asking for the Hope of mankind sealed in his body. I interpreted his suicide as spite more than despair.

EDIT - Just bought some Arctis Pros for my PC forgetting about their PS4 compatibility and this game's release. The timing could not be more perfect!

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    All of the gods and titans are massive hypocrites, but they don't really claim moral superiority. They're just all 'we are right and more important because we're more powerful than you', so the best rebuttal really is to kill the hell out of them.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Holy shit... God of War is getting a lot of 10/10's. Like... a lot

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

70 critic reviews deep and it's still at a 95% average.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Got in an Amazon Pre-Order this morning. Hoping it gets here on release day. Fingers crossed.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular

It's obviously Dad bias. :P

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    I want to meet Thor and have him be a total bro. The Norse gods were considerably less jerks than the Greek pantheon, anyway.
    Having him be voiced by Chris Hemsworth would be nice, too.
    Or Michael Shanks, given that Christopher Judge is voicing Kratos.

Considering they go tthe likes of Harry Hamlin and Kevin Sorbo to voice characters in the trilogy, it's not even that far-fetched.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I want to meet Thor and have him be a total bro. The Norse gods were considerably less jerks than the Greek pantheon, anyway.
    Having him be voiced by Chris Hemsworth would be nice, too.
    Or Michael Shanks, given that Christopher Judge is voicing Kratos.

Considering they go tthe likes of Harry Hamlin and Kevin Sorbo to voice characters in the trilogy, it's not even that far-fetched.

I'd... temper my expectations on the Hemsworth thing. He's at a very different stage in his career than Hamlin or Sorbo were when they did their game voices.

But hey, maybe we'll get Liam?

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    I fully expect at least some Loki shenanigans, since we're dealing with the Norse pantheon with this game. I don't care who voices him or whatever. You can't make a game about the Norse pantheon and not include a little bit of Loki, Thor, or Odin in there.

To be clear, this is 100% speculation on my part.

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    I fully expect at least some Loki shenanigans, since we're dealing with the Norse pantheon with this game. I don't care who voices him or whatever. You can't make a game about the Norse pantheon and not include a little bit of Loki, Thor, or Odin in there.

To be clear, this is 100% speculation on my part.

Pretty safe assumption that those guys are gonna be in this. I'm actually pumped about the fact that I know so little about Norse mythology. I'm a little tired of Greek and Roman shit, but it'll be fun to learn about a new land and the mythos behind it.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    cph8hh0gdir01.png

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    damn

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
  • Options
    I looked at that and saw the Arkham City GOTY cover.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    You know I've never been a big GoW fan but this game is really peaking my interest.

What can I say I'm a sucker for games where the plot is basically "take your kid to work day".

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    It's funny how many people the kid thing is drawing in.

For me the kid thing is what normally would be a big downside.

But the game looks good enough here that I'm still excited to play it.

Although I do feel that means the story is not going to hit me as well as it will most other people since it looks like that's what it's all about. It might even fall flat completely.

But as long as I get fun combat, cool action scenes and awesome monsters it will still be a good time.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I've written off the camera as "see? see? We can Dark Souls too!" And I'm okay with that because I've grown accustomed to weighty combat.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Cantido wrote: »
    I've written off the camera as "see? see? We can Dark Souls too!" And I'm okay with that because I've grown accustomed to weighty combat.

But Dark Souls is a regular 3rd person camera and this is a tighter over the shoulder camera?

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I'm playing GoW3 again, just cause, and there's something that I'm noticing that I didn't the first time around

Everytime he encounters another god, they lecture him, soliloquy at him about how what he's doing is pointless, how he's no better than they are, about how he's dooming the world etc.

And nearly every time, except with Zeus, Kratos is silent. Not a word; with a dead expression on his face. He doesn't even seem to take any particular joy in what he's doing. He's after revenge, but he makes no illusions that he derives any joy from it.

He's silent when they're goading him, insulting him

He's silent when he's beating them to a pulp

He's silent after he's beaten them, and they're begging for their lives.

He's silent after he kills them.

The storytelling through the series isn't particularly compelling, but I think this was a very conscious and, in retrospect, clever decision from a narrative standpoint. It's not like MGS where a physical confrontation isn't almost always immediately preceded by a philisophical one. There's no arguments, no debate. And that's where we leave Kratos, who for most of the game, seems like he just wants to see the world burn, if it means getting his revenge. A Kratos who is completely done talking,

I'm deeply interested to see if they try to address or reconcile the old Kratos with the new one.

Javen on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I did have a moment of panic watching the newest gameplay when the first tooltip that popped up onscreen was "r1 for light attack and r2 for heavy attack". Like, shit, is this going to be a souls game combat-wise?

And then the actual combat started and all my concerns went away. Juggles, cool axe combos, fisticuffs, context sensitive attacks depending on whether your enemies are crawling or stunned, "feats" rewarding you for killing enemies in interesting ways, such as freezing them with your axe and then knocking them into a wall to shatter them. Tons of really fun stuff.

And it kind of makes sense to have your attack buttons on the shoulder, considering the camera angle, so you can keep your thumb on the camera while attacking. It also makes sense considering the axe throw. Just aim it like its a third person shooter.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Well, I know what I'm doing with a portion of my tax return I guess!

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I was not going to get this game.

But the praise it's getting is just too damn juicy to ignore.

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    I liked all the previous games and it was on my radar to pick up at some point but this is sounding like a must play now.

Be interesting if this turns out to be as redefining as resident evil 4 was to its own series.

• Options
    I liked all the previous games and it was on my radar to pick up at some point but this is sounding like a must play now.

Be interesting if this turns out to be as redefining as resident evil 4 was to its own series.

The Game Informer guys made this exact comparison on their podcast. They said that RE 1, 2, and 3 were great games in their own right and then RE 4 came along and redefined the action horror game. They said this game does that for action games of this generation.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Still waiting for Amazon to sell this game again

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular

The Game Informer guys made this exact comparison on their podcast. They said that RE 1, 2, and 3 were great games in their own right and then RE 4 came along and redefined the action horror game. They said this game does that for action games of this generation.

A very fitting comparison since they both switched to a close over the shoulder camera angle.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I gave in and ordered this. Bread and water is a mighty fine diet, I don't care what anyone says!

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    God, please tell me there are Dad jokes in this.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    God, please tell me there are Dad jokes in this.

Pretty sure Kratos killed the god of those in one of the previous games.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    "I'm going to crush you!"
    "Hi Going To Crush You, I'm Dad."

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    *after slaughtering a bunch of people*
    Kratos: "I must be popular, people are just dying to meet me!"
    Son: "groan"

*after an epic boss fight*
    Son: "Dad are you alright?!"
    Kratos: "Nah, I'm half left too."
    Son: "groan"

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    These should be the trophy names. Nothing but dad jokes.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    i was pretty done with god of war after 3, which was mechanically and technically enjoyable but a slog story wise. i just wanted kratos to die and fail by the end of it. then i played ascension and was really done with god of war. but this game looks like it does enough different and interesting stuff to pull me back in.