Wasps in the air duct

zepherinzepherin Registered User regular
edited September 2015 in Help / Advice Forum
As the title says I have wasps coming through my HVAC duct work and out my vents into my apartment. We believe there is a wasp nest on the roof. However when we tell the apartment management they of course spray and remove the nests, but within a day of them doing it a couple of intrepid wasps running from death end up in the apartment, which is bad too. Is there anything I can put on the inside of my vents to keep the wasps out, but won't unbalance my HVAC system.

zepherin on

Posts

  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    In theory there should already be a filter they shouldn't be able to get through.

    I'd ask the apartment manager to hire an actual bug killer.

    EncCambiata
  • zepherinzepherin Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Xaquin wrote: »
    In theory there should already be a filter they shouldn't be able to get through.

    I'd ask the apartment manager to hire an actual bug killer.
    They use Orkin, and they have, and they'll spray and remove the nests, and it will cause more wasps to flee into the house. It's kinda a cycle, I'm looking for a a mesh screen I can set on my vent cover so wasps won't drop in. Something that can't be seen. I don't know of a product like that, and google is less than helpful.

    There is a grill on the roof intake and roof exhaust, but they are not very small. There is a filter on the return side, but the supply side does not have a filter, with an apartment stack, the bugs can move into it in reverse. I know where the wasps are coming from, because it's crazy shit to watch a wasp drop out of a vent and start flying around the apartment all pissed off, and to find dead ones in the towel bins under the bathroom vents.

    So it's direct vented which is code, and the exhaust covers are big enough for wasps to come in.

    zepherin on
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion The Land of Flowers (and Dragons)Registered User regular
    Assuming your landlord remains non-useful, get a window bug screen and cut it about 5inches wider than your AC vents and put them inside, using the extra distance to give you purchase for ducttape to hold them.

    But really, wasps in your AC is probably against tenant law in your state more likely than not.

  • zepherinzepherin Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Assuming your landlord remains non-useful, get a window bug screen and cut it about 5inches wider than your AC vents and put them inside, using the extra distance to give you purchase for ducttape to hold them.

    But really, wasps in your AC is probably against tenant law in your state more likely than not.
    They are trying, but it is a weird problem. I was hoping I wouldn't have to cut up a bunch of screens, but it looks like I will, 5 inches is a lot though. I was going to cut them exact and put them between the registers and the ceiling.

  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    There should be a screen in the actual central air unit itself so that wasps cannot crawl in.

    But yeah that's about the only other thing you can do.

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    XaquinEncPinfeldorf
  • zepherinzepherin Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    There should be a screen in the actual central air unit itself so that wasps cannot crawl in.

    But yeah that's about the only other thing you can do.

    Because of the apartment design I can't safely access that I have to do it at the register :(

    If it were a house I would have fixed it myself and brought death upon all invaders.

  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    just buy a roll of screen at a home improvement store. it is cheaper

    camo_sig.png
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Realtor Santa ClaritaRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    There should be a screen in the actual central air unit itself so that wasps cannot crawl in.

    But yeah that's about the only other thing you can do.

    Not only this, but if there isn't a screen in your AC vent to catch dust and other particulates, I think your landlord isn't doing their due diligence for upkeep, although that may vary from state to state.

    pleatedfurnacefilterlgeopt.jpg

    That is a standard AC filter. It is what we use here at home and at work. A fart couldn't get through the thing, much less a wasp, and they should be changed (or cleaned, if you have a reusable variety) every 60 or so days. I'd check your lease agreement to see if keeping these clean/changed is your responsibility or your landlord's, but at the very least, they should exist on every vent in your living space. They're like $4, so it's not an incredible expense.

    Smrtnik
  • zepherinzepherin Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    There should be a screen in the actual central air unit itself so that wasps cannot crawl in.

    But yeah that's about the only other thing you can do.

    Not only this, but if there isn't a screen in your AC vent to catch dust and other particulates, I think your landlord isn't doing their due diligence for upkeep, although that may vary from state to state.

    pleatedfurnacefilterlgeopt.jpg

    That is a standard AC filter. It is what we use here at home and at work. A fart couldn't get through the thing, much less a wasp, and they should be changed (or cleaned, if you have a reusable variety) every 60 or so days. I'd check your lease agreement to see if keeping these clean/changed is your responsibility or your landlord's, but at the very least, they should exist on every vent in your living space. They're like $4, so it's not an incredible expense.
    We have an AC filter, it is green changed monthly and looks similar, but an AC filter is on one part of the system. Because parts of the system pushes inside air outside (exhaust), you can have stuff come back through the exhaust, especially since it isn't pushing air out all the time, and because this isn't a high end commercial system, just a modular apartment system, it's hot air goes up, with a fan to assist.

  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    I don't think the wasps are entering the AC system thru the return (which is inside the domicile already, in that case kill the f-ing wasps), flying around in the ducts and air handler, and then flying or crawling out the vents. Putting some window screen on the inside of the vents is probably your best bet. You should be able to buy a roll at your local HD or Lowes, though if it's only one or two vents it may be cheaper to buy a framed screen and cut it up.

    Enc
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion The Land of Flowers (and Dragons)Registered User regular
    I'd almost expect there to be a hole in your ducts rather than something else. Unless your apartment system is way different from the norm the only thing that goes to the external unit is the coolant, not the air itself. The fan on your external unit is for cooling the heated coolant liquid before pumping it back to your compressor. The air moving should only be from your inside intake to your vents, not anything from outside the home.

    Unless you have a window unit, which works totally differently.

    XaquinBouwsTDaenris
  • NijaNija Registered User regular
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think your going to have to nuke the whole planet complex. It's the only way to be sure.

    Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

    Steam Me
    Dr. FlamingozepherinMorkathZilla360MulysaSemproniuscB557
  • zepherinzepherin Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    I'd almost expect there to be a hole in your ducts rather than something else. Unless your apartment system is way different from the norm the only thing that goes to the external unit is the coolant, not the air itself. The fan on your external unit is for cooling the heated coolant liquid before pumping it back to your compressor. The air moving should only be from your inside intake to your vents, not anything from outside the home.

    Unless you have a window unit, which works totally differently.
    That is true, but the system also exhausts onto the roof because the furnace system also uses the same ductwork. Furnaces are direct vent per IBC.

  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    You are describing a nightmare I didn't even know I had.

    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
    zepherinStrikorLovelyAngelHedgieZilla360UsagiPreciousBodilyFluidsNijaAngelinacB557Smrtnik
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Nija wrote: »
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think your going to have to nuke the whole planet complex. It's the only way to be sure.

    Agreed, sorry. You don't live there anymore, the wasps do now.

    cereszepherinStrikorRobonunEbola ColaZilla360InvectivusNijacB557
  • hsuhsu Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    I had a wasp problem - here's how I solved it.

    Take a can of tuna, remove the top, and drain it of water.
    Mix liquid insecticide (available at Home Depot) into the can of tuna (use a plastic fork, so you can toss it afterwards).
    Leave it out, somewhere that your pets/children/family cannot reach, but where the wasps like to go.
    Wait two days and all those wasps will be dead.

    Obviously, it's really important that your pets or children cannot reach it. My wasp problem was in the basement, so I replaced my basement doorknob with a keyed deadbolt and locked it, so no one could get in there.

    I'd like to take credit for this idea, but it came from my firefighter friend, who once had a pest control job.

    hsu on
    iTNdmYl.png
    Man in the MistsHandgimpForceVoidLostNinjaAngelinaShadowfire
  • zepherinzepherin Registered User regular
    hsu wrote: »
    I had a wasp problem - here's how I solved it.

    Take a can of tuna, remove the top, and drain it of water.
    Mix liquid insecticide (available at Home Depot) into the can of tuna (use a plastic fork, so you can toss it afterwards).
    Leave it out, somewhere that your pets/children/family cannot reach, but where the wasps like to go.
    Wait two days and all those wasps will be dead.

    Obviously, it's really important that your pets or children cannot reach it. My wasp problem was in the basement, so I replaced my basement doorknob with a keyed deadbolt and locked it, so no one could get in there.

    I'd like to take credit for this idea, but it came from my firefighter friend, who once had a pest control job.
    I think I'll use that in the future.

  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Easy way to kill wasps, that I used at a campground infested with them is to take a 2L bottle of soda, cut it about a third down from the top, and invert the top into the bottom so it forms a funnel. Pour some soda inside and sit back. The wasps fly in through the funnel but they can't get back out and will eventually drop into the soda, with the stickiness rendering their wings useless until they drown.

    We had around ten of those traps around the campsite and they were just clogged with wasp corpses. Best part is you don't need to worry about pets or children disturbing it, since it's just soda.

    camo_sig2.png
    PSN: AuthorFrost
    mageofstorm.png
    Man in the Mists
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    since it's just soda.

    And a bunch of sticky pissed off wasps!

    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Smrtnik
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »
    since it's just soda.

    And a bunch of sticky pissed off wasps!

    Who can't fly and then proceed to drown in the soda. Once they go through the funnel they don't come back out.

    camo_sig2.png
    PSN: AuthorFrost
    mageofstorm.png
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    So, I'll cop to not understanding exactly what you mean when you describe how the wasps are getting into the house or the airduct, but I have a few solutions.

    The first, as many have suggested, is to install some sort of screen. However, most of what people have suggested won't work. Wasps can chew through most everything, so you would definitely need to focus on some fine metal mesh. Regular window screen, and even commercial filters won't stop wasps.

    The can of tuna idea is pretty good- but it is neither a permanent nor a quick-acting solution. You may kill one hive, but more will certainly show up. Plus, if you put it in your airducts, your house will probably smell of tuna....

    What I recommend is some sort of metal or durable mesh, combined with one or two of these commercial wasp traps located either inside the house, where they are getting inside, or outside where you think they are entering.

    If you can get a picture of the wasps I might be able to suggest more directed methods, but I recommend traps and a durable screen.

  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Two layers of this stuff should be small enough to be a good barrier, and tough enough to resist chewing.

    bowenzepherinZilla360
  • zepherinzepherin Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    Two layers of this stuff should be small enough to be a good barrier, and tough enough to resist chewing.
    Sold

    Arch
  • dinksterrrdinksterrr Registered User new member
    Can someone help me with wasp in an outside vent. Idk where this vent leads to but it's in the front of my house and the wasp keep going in and out of it. I haven't seen them inside the house yet but I'm sure that's not far away

This discussion has been closed.