As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Vulture capital] TRU/Sears/Tribune Memorial Thread of Asmodee being Embraced

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    That sort of sounds like they want to turn it into miniature versions of the NYC store or FAO Schwartz?

I wonder if that's sustainable these days. I remember the FAO Schwarz in San Francisco going under in 2003, and the sale of toys in stores has only gotten worse since then.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »
    That sort of sounds like they want to turn it into miniature versions of the NYC store or FAO Schwartz?

I wonder if that's sustainable these days. I remember the FAO Schwarz in San Francisco going under in 2003, and the sale of toys in stores has only gotten worse since then.

TRU's sales were sustainable, had they not been saddled with the mass of debt from the LBO.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • see317see317 Registered User regular

TRU's sales were sustainable, had they not been saddled with the mass of debt from the LBO.

I don't doubt that TRU's sales were sustainable, but from the sounds of it, this guy isn't planning on maintaining the status quo if he gets the stores.
    His plans aren't going to be cheap to implement, and that's after he drops a giant sack of money to get the stores and the name.

Don't get me wrong, I want the guy to succeed. If for no other reason than because giant toy stores are a thing that shouldn't be lost. I'm just wondering if this is doing anything more than delaying the end for a time.

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

I don't doubt that TRU's sales were sustainable, but from the sounds of it, this guy isn't planning on maintaining the status quo if he gets the stores.
    His plans aren't going to be cheap to implement, and that's after he drops a giant sack of money to get the stores and the name.

Don't get me wrong, I want the guy to succeed. If for no other reason than because giant toy stores are a thing that shouldn't be lost. I'm just wondering if this is doing anything more than delaying the end for a time.

Toys r us failed to achieve sales growth not be sure there are less children or worse toys, but because the stores were starved for investment and sufficient enthusiastic staff. More activities and being the sort of place you'd want to spend a few hours is exactly what toys r us need.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    I remember a long time ago they had a thing with Nintendo where they held Pokemon giveaways there and stuff. They need to partner up with some of these toy companies and give people a reason to stop in besides "oh, let's go look at toys!"

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »

Toys r us failed to achieve sales growth not be sure there are less children or worse toys, but because the stores were starved for investment and sufficient enthusiastic staff. More activities and being the sort of place you'd want to spend a few hours is exactly what toys r us need.

I'd say it is a strategy that a whole lot more of the retail sector should be considering. They've already lost out against online shopping on price and convenience due to the overhead costs of maintaining a physical location. They need to be turning that location into an advantage by making it a place people want to be.

steam_sig.png
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    When Nintendo for Pokémon X/Y gave away hoopa at Mcd's I got so many streetpasses from other people at 7am
    I know it was also a streetpass hotspot still they just kept rolling in

• Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Veagle wrote: »

I'd say it is a strategy that a whole lot more of the retail sector should be considering. They've already lost out against online shopping on price and convenience due to the overhead costs of maintaining a physical location. They need to be turning that location into an advantage by making it a place people want to be.

That costs money and people will just keep buying online anyway.

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    One thing is that Amazon's prices aren't all that amazing anymore. Doubly so in places where they more recently started charging sales tax, as a lot of people used buying online to get a free sales tax sized discount (even though by doing so they were technically breaking the law).

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

They probably don't need to go to the same extent as the Toys R Us Times Square location, and FAO Schwarz was always a weird one as far as toy stores go. They always had fun stuff, but it never really seemed like it was fun stuff that would actually sell. Not sure about the San Fran location though.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
    Mc zany wrote: »
    Veagle wrote: »

That costs money and people will just keep buying online anyway.

They weren't buying online to begin with, that was never the problem!

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I remember they used to have Pokemon TCG leagues at TRU back in the day. Guess that isn't a thing anymore. They used to give away promos and you can win stuff.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    I remember a long time ago they had a thing with Nintendo where they held Pokemon giveaways there and stuff. They need to partner up with some of these toy companies and give people a reason to stop in besides "oh, let's go look at toys!"

My store had lots of events, sometimes more than one a day, but they did such an abysmal job of communicating that fact that hardly anyone ever showed up. LEGO builds, product demos, all kinds of stuff. They'd 'advertise' them by writing them on a whiteboard and sticking it off to the side of the entry, which no one ever looks at and half the time the sign would get turned around anyways. Seems like it would have been a good fit for social media but I dont think my local store even had their own page.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »

My store had lots of events, sometimes more than one a day, but they did such an abysmal job of communicating that fact that hardly anyone ever showed up. LEGO builds, product demos, all kinds of stuff. They'd 'advertise' them by writing them on a whiteboard and sticking it off to the side of the entry, which no one ever looks at and half the time the sign would get turned around anyways. Seems like it would have been a good fit for social media but I dont think my local store even had their own page.

They did email blasts for those kind of events. Granted that's only useful for people who have already opted in, but we went to a few of the LEGO events after hearing about them that way. Those were visits, and purchases, we wouldn't have made otherwise.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    redfield85 wrote: »
    I remember they used to have Pokemon TCG leagues at TRU back in the day. Guess that isn't a thing anymore. They used to give away promos and you can win stuff.

It's a thing, but you'll find that at your FLGS. I know a place nearby that has regular play of it still. I can't think of any major chains that run events for TCGs.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    I got to the email for those events. Some of those Lego mini builds are sitting at my desk right now. I always bought something when we went as we had time to look around the store. Give me a reason to be at a store and I'll buy something nine out of 10 times.

3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Toxic Toys wrote: »
    I got to the email for those events. Some of those Lego mini builds are sitting at my desk right now. I always bought something when we went as we had time to look around the store. Give me a reason to be at a store and I'll buy something nine out of 10 times.

That is in fact a classic part of marketing. Once you're inside a store, you are much more likely to buy something. It's why store windows used to be a thing, to convince you to come inside.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I too got the emails but I was behind a lot of resellers and other people
    I will miss bricktober even though some of it's deals were not so great others were

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    You know, if they dove in hard, and took on stuff like ccg tournaments and such. And make it an actual family friendly location at the same time. That would be amazing

So tired of the only option for tourneys and toy related events being relegated to the toxic nightmare that is comic shops

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    You know, if they dove in hard, and took on stuff like ccg tournaments and such. And make it an actual family friendly location at the same time. That would be amazing

So tired of the only option for tourneys and toy related events being relegated to the toxic nightmare that is comic shops

Oh yeah. I love my local game store, and they do incredibly well. but if you had basically a national chain version of that, sorta like HobbyLand but focusing on child engagement, learning, entertainment and such, and providing a safe, positive environment?

Yeah. It might not always work everywhere. But it would be a hell of an experiment!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

I... I do not think they're comic shops. Like, they sell them... but... they are not remotely the main product.

At least, not at the ones I go to. There's a shelf for them. In the back.

But quality definitely varies. Not everywhere is Fantasy Flight's store.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Isaac Larian's bid to save all Canadian and some US TRU stores has been rejected due to being too low:

http://money.cnn.com/2018/04/17/news/companies/toys-r-us-rejects-bratz-ceo/index.html

Somewhere around 40 bids were accepted, no word on if any of those bidders plan on trying to save the company. Prolly not, Isaac Larian was the only one openly talking about trying to save TRU and he's a bit of a contrarian after-all.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Too low, really? Having not looked at the details, I wonder if the highly visible nostalgia and public outcry is what let them to value it higher.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Athenor wrote: »
    Too low, really? Having not looked at the details, I wonder if the highly visible nostalgia and public outcry is what let them to value it higher.

I'm not an expert, but I think real-estate has a lot to do with it. Back in the day TRU was valued at 7bn (I think... somewhere around there) on the back of it's real-estate assets. Just a guess, I havent really looked deeply into it either.

edit: also the other bidders probably offered a greater value. I think 44 out of 50 bids were accepted.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.

Oh yeah. I love my local game store, and they do incredibly well. but if you had basically a national chain version of that, sorta like HobbyLand but focusing on child engagement, learning, entertainment and such, and providing a safe, positive environment?

Yeah. It might not always work everywhere. But it would be a hell of an experiment!

I’ve honestly never been to a bad gaming/comic shop. They always seem like they should be a ‘toxic nightmare’ but when you actually go I find they are very likely to have a diverse and engaged staff, be filled with happy people, kids and their parents and so on. I’ve never actually been in one I’d view as bad, and I’ve been in a lot as I usually make a point of visiting one when I travel to a new city. Dedicated comic shops tend to be worse, but that’s mainly because comics are so impenetrable these days.

• ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular

I’ve honestly never been to a bad gaming/comic shop. They always seem like they should be a ‘toxic nightmare’ but when you actually go I find they are very likely to have a diverse and engaged staff, be filled with happy people, kids and their parents and so on. I’ve never actually been in one I’d view as bad, and I’ve been in a lot as I usually make a point of visiting one when I travel to a new city. Dedicated comic shops tend to be worse, but that’s mainly because comics are so impenetrable these days.

Count your blessings. A 'bad' shop will make you question humanity's existence. There's one near here and maybe the word shocking is a bit overused, but I was genuinely shocked at pretty much every facet of their operation. Like how are they even in business.

Most Toys R US layouts would have supported events, bigger than the ones they were putting on anyways. All of the stores I've seen have a biggish area between the initial product display right at the door and the aisles themselves. Perfect positioning really, high visibility, easy access, and if you're not interested you kind of get funnelled into the aisles anyways. Totally underutilized.

I get it can be difficult to pivot quickly, and I don't think this sort of thing would have saved TRU by itself, but you look at other struggling chains who've talked about it but haven't done much with it and it's all.... "What are you waiting for?!?" Barnes & Noble is a prime example, most stores run multiple events a month, they even advertise them a bit. But when you show up for one? Single small table, crammed in somewhere, no guarantee it'd be in the same place as last time. What they should do, in my incredibly expert opinion, is dedicate an event space and have something going on at least a few times a week, ideally next to the cafe so you get crossover.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

Count your blessings. A 'bad' shop will make you question humanity's existence. There's one near here and maybe the word shocking is a bit overused, but I was genuinely shocked at pretty much every facet of their operation. Like how are they even in business.

Most Toys R US layouts would have supported events, bigger than the ones they were putting on anyways. All of the stores I've seen have a biggish area between the initial product display right at the door and the aisles themselves. Perfect positioning really, high visibility, easy access, and if you're not interested you kind of get funnelled into the aisles anyways. Totally underutilized.

I get it can be difficult to pivot quickly, and I don't think this sort of thing would have saved TRU by itself, but you look at other struggling chains who've talked about it but haven't done much with it and it's all.... "What are you waiting for?!?" Barnes & Noble is a prime example, most stores run multiple events a month, they even advertise them a bit. But when you show up for one? Single small table, crammed in somewhere, no guarantee it'd be in the same place as last time. What they should do, in my incredibly expert opinion, is dedicate an event space and have something going on at least a few times a week, ideally next to the cafe so you get crossover.

A Barnes & Noble near me used to do that for a number of years, over a decade ago. Not sure if it was something other locations did as well. There was a Scrabble night, a Magic: the Gathering night, meetings for some local clubs and organizations and more of that kind of stuff. All in the cafe area seating. They kept a calendar posted in the cafe area, and also in the entrance area. Some of those nights seemed to have a decent turnout and drive some cafe business, but when they moved into a larger location a few blocks away they actually had less cafe seating and stopped doing those nights. Presumably they weren't bringing in enough business to make it worth the extra space for more seating. They used their new space more for expanded selections and adding toys/games/collectibles/figures - all stuff they hadn't had prior.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    There was no one in the electronics department at the store I was at. I had to get someone from the front registers.

Krathoon on
  • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    I'm reminded of those Incredible Universe stores in the 90s. Big electronics stores with lots of video game kiosks, demonstration events of audio equipment, computers, games, etc.

I miss CompUSA.

edited April 2018
    I remember Babbage's.

Krathoon on

Funny enough that's pretty much what Larian wanted to do with them.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Babbage's used to have monitors in the front showing the latest games.

• ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

Babbage's still exists. It's the company that eventually became Gamestop.

Babbage's still exists. It's the company that eventually became Gamestop.

Yeah, but it is not the same.

• CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    I remember Babbage's.

While working at CompUSA as a non salesperson, I once attended a sales training with the sole purpose of getting a free copy of Age of Empires 2. There, I met a very cute girl that worked at a Babbages quite far away. My coworkers convinced me to try to find her again afterwards. Only knowing where she worked, I drove 2+ hours with the intent of "dropping in" to say hello and maybe ask her out. I'd never been to the area before, so I was really anxious about getting lost. Eventually, I made it. She was working that day. I saw her, but she didn't see me.

I chickened out and drove all the way back home in shame. Never told anyone at work.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I remember Babbage's.

While working at CompUSA as a non salesperson, I once attended a sales training with the sole purpose of getting a free copy of Age of Empires 2. There, I met a very cute girl that worked at a Babbages quite far away. My coworkers convinced me to try to find her again afterwards. Only knowing where she worked, I drove 2+ hours with the intent of "dropping in" to say hello and maybe ask her out. I'd never been to the area before, so I was really anxious about getting lost. Eventually, I made it. She was working that day. I saw her, but she didn't see me.

I chickened out and drove all the way back home in shame. Never told anyone at work.

Oh man, if we can get this to your late 90's co-workers, late 90's you is going to be so embarrassed.

Edit: To make this a bit more on topic, early 90's toys r us was the best toys r us. It was pretty much just like it is now, except it was acceptable for 8 year old me to ride my bike the couple blocks down the busy road to visit the store whenever I wanted. Never had money to buy anything, but somehow the demo game systems always seemed to have a different game loaded. Pro tip: The trick to not getting kicked out of the store when trying to beat whatever game they loaded into the SNES or Genesis was to talk someone else into buying a copy of the game.

Then they closed that place down and moved the store to it's current, soon to be old, location and it was never the same...

Veevee on
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited April 2018

There are good ones and bad ones and I've never seen anything in between. There's one in my area that's much like your experience, and a second (somehow more popular) where you will be ridiculed at the register for buying the wrong card game (they won't even stock Yu-Gi-Oh even though there's a surprisingly big tournament nearby and the racks just print money) and for Free Comic Book Day last year they handed out a crude chick tract style comic about how you don't deserve a free comic if you aren't a dedicated reader.

Some days I long for the long prophesied end of specialty retail.

But then there are chains like Harbor Freight opening stores and seeing them in the black within a couple months and which has never closed a store due to revenue and that make me think the problem is much more specific to the suffering retailers than people think. Even TRU was profitable if not for the burden of the LBO.

Hevach on
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    I walked past the Babies’r’us where I bought all my baby gear - empty and shuttered. Sad.

edited April 2018
    Hevach wrote: »

There are good ones and bad ones and I've never seen anything in between. There's one in my area that's much like your experience, and a second (somehow more popular) where you will be ridiculed at the register for buying the wrong card game (they won't even stock Yu-Gi-Oh even though there's a surprisingly big tournament nearby and the racks just print money) and for Free Comic Book Day last year they handed out a crude chick tract style comic about how you don't deserve a free comic if you aren't a dedicated reader.

Some days I long for the long prophesied end of specialty retail.

But then there are chains like Harbor Freight opening stores and seeing them in the black within a couple months and which has never closed a store due to revenue and that make me think the problem is much more specific to the suffering retailers than people think. Even TRU was profitable if not for the burden of the LBO.

Wow, you had the asshole TRU store.

A while back, I went to a store called V Stock. They had vintage stuff. The cashier had to give his opinion on my Meta Knight amibo purchase. I just nodded and didn't listen.

Krathoon on