As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Reunited [Souls] Thread

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    The Fire has been linked!
    xy0n85bz5aoa.png

In the end, I don't think this DLC was baaaaaad but I can't say it was awesome. Now, here's the thing. DkS3 is pretty good but I dunno if it's as memorable as BB and DkS2 were to me. Systemwise it's the best though.

EDIT: Also I think, it's the first time I've done the "Link the Fire" ending in any DkS game.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Now do it two more times to get all the achievements!

E: Dragon fights in Souls games always suck so I guess I wasn't expecting anything to the contrary with Midir. I just skip him, there's no reason to fight him.

Aistan on
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Now do it two more times to get all the achievements!

E: Dragon fights in Souls games always suck so I guess I wasn't expecting anything to the contrary with Midir. I just skip him, there's no reason to fight him.

See, Sinh was a perfectly fine dragon fight. I had a lot of fun with it. Spent a lot of time jolly cooperating there and more or less soloing him for other people.

But Midir is like everything bad that every other dragon fight did, in one single package, with thrice as much HP.

And he's blocking a covenant entirely, to boot!

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    The best Dragon fight was in Archdragon Peaks :rotate:

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Ah I didn't realize he was holding onto a covenant since I don't give a crap about pvp. I guess that would be a reason to kill him them, that sucks.

• Options
    Holy shit I forgot how different DkS1 rolling is vs DkS3/BB. I beat the Asylum Demon but man I think I ate every swing of his club. On the flip side I love how all these guys just eat backstabs.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I miss Havel flipping

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Holy shit I forgot how different DkS1 rolling is vs DkS3/BB. I beat the Asylum Demon but man I think I ate every swing of his club. On the flip side I love how all these guys just eat backstabs.

Yeah I've been playing some DkS2 for the first time and man it feels like playing in molasses compared to DkS3.

Also I hadn't realized just how generous DkS3 was with very good weapons being obtainable early in the game. The stuff I really want in DkS2 doesn't show up for quite some time!

Also Agility is a stupid stat and I'm glad they came to their senses on it.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    DS2's stinginess with actual weapons in the first stretch is weird as hell

they really, really want to make sure you have no options for that entire forest stretch to the blacksmith key

it's like they really want you to get that welcome to dark souls cheevo

• Options
    I did try DkS2 too yesterday (got 3 bosses down easily!) and it's probably because I've replayed this one recently but I didn't find the rolling THAT bad. It's slow as hell after BB and DkS3 tho!

I agree with the weapon stinginess. Already on my way to No Man's Wharf and I'm still using the starting weapon. Tried farming for a Heide Sword and so far I've been really unlucky.

• Options
    Who needs a weapon.

I AM MY MY WEAPON!

That being said trying to fight the Iron king with Fists is hilarious.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    DS1 and 3 are both much better about giving a variety of weapons relatively quickly

• Options
    edited April 2018
    neither of them really leave all that many weapons lying around

the big difference in 2 is that something like half the starting classes don't actually start with anything besides a dagger

ds2 has the... dagger, bandit's knife, broken thief sword, morningstar, and shortsword?

so you start off with a dagger, then you can choose other daggers, a shortsword that falls apart in a light breeze (with a highish dex requirement!) and the clear winner, a shitty mace with a fairly high strength requirement.

on my first play i broke my shit before i reached melentia and it was miserable

Elendil on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    neither of them really leave all that many weapons lying around

the big difference in 2 is that something like half the starting classes don't actually start with anything besides a dagger

ds2 has the... dagger, bandit's knife, broken thief sword, morningstar, and shortsword?

so you start off with a dagger, then you can choose other daggers, a shortsword that falls apart in a light breeze (with a highish dex requirement!) and the clear winner, a shitty mace with a fairly high strength requirement.

on my first play i broke my shit before i reached melentia and it was miserable

DS1 has the winged spear and zwei within easy reach, and drop rates for some stuff isn't terrible.

I remember a couple of weapons with DS3 as well? But I'm a little foggy on what I actually used.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    DS3 gives you the Deep Battle Axe (good for non-physical builds) and a Claymore both in the first area

• Options
    and the uchi

ds1 has the zwei, winged spear, and estoc in easy reach leaving aside shit like the black knight halberd and gravelord sword.

neither one really inundates you with options right at the start.the main difference is that the options you do get are good weapons

• Options
    Forgot the Estoc, my first main weapon.

But yeah, I guess the difference is more that they are weapons you would want to use.

• Options
    I seem to remember Lenigrast sells competent enough weapons, including good old Estoc which has often lasted me all the way to endgame. And that you can get yourself a fire longsword in forest of fallen giants. It's not stellar, but it's serviceable.

I'm a bit split on the thing. On one hand, letting people have the playstyle they want early is good. But on the other, I remember how bored I was in DS3 because it took 90% of the game before I found a weapon I wanted to trade my starting Longsword for, because almost nothing was as good as the Longsword was.

• Options
    This reminds me of a discussion I had with mu best friend. It basically boiled down to him not trying new weapons in BB because nothing compared to LHB. It’s just too good for a quality build.

• Options
    I really don't like buying weapons in these games, because it lessens the impact of exploration

• Options
    This reminds me of a discussion I had with mu best friend. It basically boiled down to him not trying new weapons in BB because nothing compared to LHB. It’s just too good for a quality build.

He's not wrong.

• Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    DS1 has the uchi available pretty early on if you don't mind vendor homicide. Claymore if you dodge some dragon breath or don't mind dying to it.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    once you reach melentia and open up the blacksmith, it's fine. you get a whole bunch of stuff.

but

i think my last character i rolled was an explorer, and i didn't have high enough stats for basically anything. figuring dragonrider's a chump, i said fuck it and rolled up to him with a dagger

it literally broke before he died

it's silly. there's a big gauntlet of dudes to go through on the way to melentia, and there's nothing stopping you from going in an entire different direction. it's a weird design choice!

• Options
    y'all ludwig's ain't even the best quality weapon in bloodborne

that'd be the saw spear

• Options
    But LHB gives the biggest numbers, and that charged R2... and L2 L2... hnnnnnggggg.

That said, I'm a saw spear convert. My last 2 playthroughs have been saw spear. I tried to go back to LHB and I found it lacking. I did use LHB to beat up on chalice Amy though on my wifes playthrough when she got roadblocked by cursed defiled Amy.... L2 headshots for days.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Saw spear until you can get the pizza cutter from the DLC is the one true Bloodborne weapon choice.

broken image link
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    How is Demon's Souls for early game weapon access?

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    l_g wrote: »
    You can get the Crescent Falchion +1 in 4-1 (Shrine of Storms) and the Morning Star pretty early in 5-1 (Valley of Defilement). Both are pretty good. The Morning Star is good for smashing skeletons and the Falchion will hold you over until you get better weapons (it also adds a bleed effect).

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    Oh man, I think I played too much BB and DkS3. I can't stand mid rolling. I had to remove my armor to get some fast rolling going on and kill the stupid Taurus Demon.

• Options
    You can also get the uchi as a ground pick up in 4-1, but it's not as easy as the falchion. The falchion can carry you pretty well though.

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Gyral wrote: »
    l_g wrote: »
    You can get the Crescent Falchion +1 in 4-1 (Shrine of Storms) and the Morning Star pretty early in 5-1 (Valley of Defilement). Both are pretty good. The Morning Star is good for smashing skeletons and the Falchion will hold you over until you get better weapons (it also adds a bleed effect).
    You can also just start the game with a Halberd which will handily beat the entire game, by choosing Temple Knight as your class. Its Demon's Souls moveset is incredibly mobile, while swiftly hitting hard.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    I remember picking on people so much in Demons soul.

Like i did a kamikazi run through stage 4 to grab Hiltless and then duped a bunch of colorless souls using the Crow invasion reset glitch upgraded it and just low level invaded for days the hate mail was beautiful.

Though my favorite hate mail from Demons soul was when i managed to 1-shot somebody with a Uchi power attack as Old monk through the fog gate when they would not enter the fight and just sat outside the fog and tried to spam poison and arrows at me.

Also scraping spear is a beautiful weapon.

• Options
    I'm glad that the scraping spear was limited to DeS. Don't get me wrong, everyone has fun with it. But it's such a bullshit weapon to deal with having to repair all your gear all the time.

Yeah, acid cloud spells did the same thing but at least you could work around them.

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    I generally think durability isn't very thoughtfully implemented in general in the DS games. There's a handful of weapons that it's REALLY important for, and then everything else doesn't care. I don't even remember using the repairbox in DS1, and in all the DS games thereafter, things just auto-repair at the bonfire unless they're totally broken, which means that unless you happen to be using a really fragile weapon or a weapon art that chunks out the durability, you may never even realize that weapon repairing is a thing you have to deal with until you get crapped on by acid enemies.

And since the decay rate is fairly slow for regular usage, you could chug along for a good long while in DS1 before you even realize that you need to repair stuff. There are times I think in DS1, it's mainly there to get you to either switch weapons or remember where the blacksmith is, since the actual soul cost of repairs is so nominal, and things that don't break super fast wear down so slowly that it doesn't really gate your progress... this isn't like, say, paying 10k souls to buy a key for someplace.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    DS2 was the only game that durability was a factor in anyway. Even then it was only the low durability weapons you might have a problem with on extended runs between sitting down. DS2 you basically always had to have repair powder on you just in case and I've never had to bother with that in other DS games.

In BB I was 'forced' to use the -weap durability gems for a little until I got replacements that didn't suck so much. A -durability gem in that game was brutal, your weapon would go critical halfway through a chalice floor at times.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Worst thing about durability in 2 was that it made otherwise cool weapons useless.

When I first found the malformed skull I was like HECK YEAH but then it broke in 3 hits and I was sad.

broken image link
  • Options
    Worst thing about durability in 2 was that it made otherwise cool weapons useless.

When I first found the malformed skull I was like HECK YEAH but then it broke in 3 hits and I was sad.

It certainly was the worst time for a durability bug to happen.

From: "Okay, durability in DS1 was absolutely perfunctory and nobody gave a shit. Let's make it more of an issue in 2 by giving weapons less durability, so you have to keep an eye on it and keep a backup on hand"
    Me: "Sounds fair, I did always wonder why the fuck DS1 even had a durability stat"
    From: "Whooops, turns out there's also a bug that basically triples the already increased baseline durability loss for any big weapon so half of the big hitbox weapons won't last you half a bonfire trek"
    Me: "Dudes wtf"

• Options
    the washing pole is totally unusable in pve in 2

• Options
    And in 3 it's back to being perfunctory, because turns out weapon durability is only interesting in survival horror and even then it's hard to do well.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I literally never broke a weapon in 3 no matter what I did. Not once, in 2 playthroughs.

I’m not complaining. Durability is nonsense to me in a game like Dark Souls.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
This discussion has been closed.