As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pre-Fight Debate Thread: Bracket 3

• robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Also, he became destabilized after Venom ate a chunk of his sand.

robosagogo on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Which is the absolute dumbest thing ever.

He should have been able to burst out of Venom's stomach.

Furu on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Also, he became destabilized after Venom ate a chunk of his sand.
    I never really understood why. I mean if the sand was "infected"(How, I have no idea) he could have just walked to a beach and swapped it out with other sand.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited November 2006
    Sandman's made of a weird organic sand, not sand itself. I don't think he can replace the sand he loses with normal sand except under weird circumstances.

robosagogo on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Sandman's made of a weird organic sand, not sand itself. I don't think he can replace the sand he loses with normal sand except under weird circumstances.

No, he can.
    Wiki wrote:
    He may absorb nearby sand and reconstitute it into his body, as well.

Furu on
  • SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    You know... I have to say for having such a wonderful super power, the weakness is pure shit. I mean... how does he bathe?

Slagmire on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    He's made of sand.

What would bathing do?

deadonthestreet on
  • SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    He's made of sand.

What would bathing do?

Eliminate the stink... I mean... he's dirty. Sandy dirty.

I don't know what I'm trying to say here really.

Slagmire on
    edited November 2006
    Furu wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

No, he can.
    Wiki wrote:

I'm not sure reconstitute is the appropriate word choice. How do you reconstitute something into your body? The "it" in the sentence is normal sand, but normal sand doesn't need to be reconstituted.

I always thought that Sandman just took normal sand and added it to his body, but that it never really became a part of his body. It'd be like getting adding weights to your body so that your blows do more damage and you can be bigger overall, though perhaps quite a bit slower and more awkward in your movements.

If he could just add sand to his body, then why doesn't he just become so big that nobody can stop him?

robosagogo on
  • mcwillipmcwillip Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Furu wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

No, he can.
    Wiki wrote:

I'm not sure reconstitute is the appropriate word choice. How do you reconstitute something into your body? The "it" in the sentence is normal sand, but normal sand doesn't need to be reconstituted.

I always thought that Sandman just took normal sand and added it to his body, but that it never really became a part of his body. It'd be like getting adding weights to your body so that your blows do more damage and you can be bigger overall, though perhaps quite a bit slower and more awkward in your movements.

If he could just add sand to his body, then why doesn't he just become so big that nobody can stop him?

maybe if there's too much of him he can't handle controlling all of it?

as in, maybe he has a maximum operational mass? and no, i don't know why he doesn't always walk (how exactly DOES one describe sand motility?) around that size.

mcwillip on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    robosagogo wrote:

Wiki says he can. Nothin about random occasions.

The Muffin Man on
  • Doctor DoomDoctor Doom Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    A stipulation has been added for the Angstrom Levy/Ultron match.

Both competitors must enter any portal created.

Regarding the Sandman/Mist fight, Doom thinks you need to consider the environment, since the fight is, as it was designed, otherwise a stalemate.

Doctor Doom on
    edited November 2006
    Are you saying they lose their powers because that sometimes happens in the savage land.

deadonthestreet on
    edited November 2006
    Are you saying they lose their powers because that sometimes happens in the savage land.
    He's saying that we should all vote for Sauron.

Who I should've nominated in the first place! Stupid!

Anyway, eventually it'll rain and Sandman will be screwed.

robosagogo on
  • GoodCitizenGoodCitizen Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Fight 1 - Apocolypse
    He's mostly a chump these days ever since he got so thoroughly mis-used in the 90's, but he'd still beat a woman who's only power is to get big. Apoc can get big AND do a number of other things with his powers. Besides that, Apoc has been around for thousands of years. He's got her beat in powers and experience.

Fight 2 - Ultron
    The rules of this fight make it totally unfair. Without Levy's ability to shunt ultron around, it's just strength agains strength, and Ultron has him WAY outclassed in that regard. Good-bye vein-brain.

Fight 3 - Swarm
    Man, I really didn't want to pick swarm, either. I just don't think that Psycho Pirate's abilities will work against swarm, since he shares his mind among thousands of bees. If psycho pirate's powers actually work on this guy, then he'll win, which is cool cause swarm is lame. I doubt they would, though, which makes the pirate just another guy in a goofy outfit.

Fight 4 - Sandman
    Looks like this bracket is a marvel sweep in my opinion. I just don't think mist has anything that can harm sandman. Of course, Sandman is an idiot and probably wouldn't be able to figure out how to harm mist either. This round is almost a coint-toss, but I'm gonna give it to sandman. If mist relies on her guns over hand-to-hand fighting, which it looks like she does, then she's gonna eventually lose. Sandman is always straight hand-to-hand, and mist's guns aren't gonna do jack....

GoodCitizen on
    Benjamin Franklin used foil covered window glass to create a capacitor. He then attempted to kill a turkey with the stored charge. Instead, he knocked himself out. Franklin later wrote, "I tried to kill a turkey but nearly succeeded in killing a goose."
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The Mist once beat an entire Justice League group. There is no way she's losing to Sandman.

Bloods End on
    edited November 2006
    Mist and Sandman are similarly immune to each other (if Sandman doesn't breathe, even when he isn't using his powers), but at least Mist isn't an idiot.

Starman3813.jpg

Starman3814.jpg

Starman3815.jpg

Starman3816.jpg

Starman3817.jpg

Starman3818.jpg

Starman3819.jpg

Assuming there's some way to drench Sandman in water in the Savage Land, Mist will find it. If there's ANY way she can use the environment to her benefit, she'll discover it.

robosagogo on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Finally, someone who knows who Mist actually is and can tell us.

I'm changing my vote to Mist.

Scooter on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    He's saying that we should all vote for Sauron.

Who I should've nominated in the first place! Stupid!

Anyway, eventually it'll rain and Sandman will be screwed.

I'm pretty sure there are bodies of water in the savage land. Not to mention that Antarctica is right outside. I'm pretty sure Mist can freeze, and I'm pretty sure water fucks up Sandman's day.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited November 2006
    Bloods End wrote:
    The Mist once beat an entire Justice League group. There is no way she's losing to Sandman.
    So you're voting for Spiral in the other bracket?

deadonthestreet on
    edited November 2006
    I'm gonna stick with sandman, still.

Mist reverts to human form, but Sandman is ALWAYS made out of sand. She can be vulnerable at times, but he's never vulnerable. Guns wont do the trick, she wont have time to plan ahead, AND she wont immediately know his powers.

Lets consider how Sandman has been defeated in the past. Vacuum cleaners... water hoses.... other ways to dissipate or contain him... etc. NONE of those things are in the arena. So, basically, mist would need to lure him out to water. Sandman is definately an idiot, but is he THAT much of an idiot? I dont think so.

My prediction? Mist will have to maintain atleast a little of her human form to carry those guns. She'll try to use them, sandman will close the distance, then it'll be a slugging match of sorts. It'll last for a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time. At some point either sandman will get a lucky hit on mist when she turns tangible to strike, or mist will distract him enough to get him to water. I still think sandman winning is the more likely scenario.

Still, it would be long and close. Could go either way, but I'm gonna go with sandman.

EDIT: Oh ya, sauron might swing by and depower one of them, but who knows which? Sandman would be a bigger target probably, but im not counting that against him, since I don't want to turn this into a 3-way melee.

GoodCitizen on
    Benjamin Franklin used foil covered window glass to create a capacitor. He then attempted to kill a turkey with the stored charge. Instead, he knocked himself out. Franklin later wrote, "I tried to kill a turkey but nearly succeeded in killing a goose."
    edited November 2006
    We know guns don't work on Sandman. Mist will know guns don't work on Sandman. She won't turn tangible. She's vulnerable when she wants to be, and she won't want to be.

robosagogo on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The Sandman has the ability to transform into a malleable sand-like substance which can be hardened, dispersed, or shaped according to his will. Even if his body is blown apart he is capable of reforming it.

He can merge with natural sand if it is in his direct vicinity like a beach or desert, thus he can manipulate normal sand like his normal body, add it to his physical size and strength, or use it to reform himself.

His body seems to take the physical and chemical qualities of sand, as once he was mixed with cement ingredients and was turned into solid cement. He remained alive like this but in a coma-like state, and returned to normal later.

He possesses superhuman strength several times in excess of Spider-Man's, making him an equal to the Thing.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • GigatonGigaton Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Wasn't swarm beaten by Victor Mancha....alone?

Gigaton on
    edited November 2006
    Gigaton wrote:
    Wasn't swarm beaten by Victor Mancha....alone?
    Possibly by spraying him with water.

I don't remember.
    Vic is super badass though.

deadonthestreet on
  • GigatonGigaton Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The bees' brainwaves travel on electric impulses. Vic shorted them out with his electromag powers.

And yes, Victor rocks all kinds of shit.

Gigaton on
    edited November 2006
    Scooter wrote:

Because she can literally talk everyone to death while the art bugs the crap out of me?

She's like an old school villain.
    "You see, my plan was to do THIS. So by doing THAT I got you to fall into my plan, namely this. This is my plan in action. You are trapped. If I keep talking, I'll eventually make you kill yourself anyway!"

The Muffin Man on
    edited November 2006
    But you see

This means Mist has at least won a fight once

Scooter on
    edited November 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    But you see

This means Mist has at least won a fight once

So has Rhino.

Technically.

The Muffin Man on
    edited November 2006
    Scooter wrote:

Because she can literally talk everyone to death while the art bugs the crap out of me?

She's like an old school villain.
    "You see, my plan was to do THIS. So by doing THAT I got you to fall into my plan, namely this. This is my plan in action. You are trapped. If I keep talking, I'll eventually make you kill yourself anyway!"
    If you're clever, you want people to know and appreciate how clever you are.

Also, she didn't get a lot of positive reinforcement from her dad as a child.

robosagogo on
    edited November 2006
    Is there really tons of sand in the Savage Land? I don't remember that.

In any case, I don't see how becoming even sandier would help him.

robosagogo on
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Is there really tons of sand in the Savage Land? I don't remember that.

In any case, I don't see how becoming even sandier would help him.

From what I remember it's more jungle like than anything.

Marathon on
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Point worth noting about Angstrom Levy for those of you who aren't Invincible fans:

Levy got his fucked up extended brain look while absorbing the knowledge of every version of himself that exists in an alternate reality. It of course went wrong, so he not only has a general member of the population's knowledge about each alternate reality that exists, but he seems to have gained at least a passing familiarity with realities where humanity never existed or was wiped out before he was born.

So it's entirely possible that the second the fight starts Levy opens a portal to an alternate reality where a robot would be fucked but a human would be fine and tackles Ultron through it.

werehippy on
    edited November 2006
    http://www.marvel.com/universe/Savage_Land

marvel's entry on the savage land is pretty damn detailed

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited November 2006
    werehippy wrote:
    So it's entirely possible that the second the fight starts Levy opens a portal to an alternate reality where a robot would be fucked but a human would be fine and tackles Ultron through it.

I admit that I may have be underestimating Levy, but don't you think you might be overestimating him? Levy doesn't have any kind of invulnerability, does he? I think it'd be quite a stretch to have him tackle ultron without being turned into a pile of smoking ash by Ultron's defense systems.

Ultron is pretty crazy-powerful and wouldn't screw around. He'd go straight for the kill.

Admittedly, I haven't read that much about levy, though.

GoodCitizen on
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    werehippy wrote:

I admit that I may have be underestimating Levy, but don't you think you might be overestimating him? Levy doesn't have any kind of invulnerability, does he? I think it'd be quite a stretch to have him tackle ultron without being turned into a pile of smoking ash by Ultron's defense systems.

Ultron is pretty crazy-powerful and wouldn't screw around. He'd go straight for the kill.

Admittedly, I haven't read that much about levy, though.

He does actually have a moderate amount of super strength/invulnerability. He went toe-to-toe with a Superman/Superboy analogue (Invincible) going flat out trying to beat him to death for a little while. He did ultimately end up a fine paste, but he stood up to an epic beating for awhile.

At the very least, I think Levy could survive Ultron wailing on him long enough to knock him back through a portal right behind him, into a universe of robot hating superhumans or something. Ultron is a badass, but I think there's at least a case to be made for the element of surprise and a complete unknown winning the day, and since no one seemed to have brought it up at all I thought it was worth mentioning.

I would have mentioned it earlier, but between the fact I wasn't really following the debate thread and the number of diehard Invincible fans floating around, I kind of assumed there would already have been some cheerleading going on.

werehippy on
    edited November 2006
    Tbh I don't really like Levy's powers for this kind of thing. Any fight can become "Levy ports them to <insert dimension designed to kill the other guy almost instantly here>". And Levy can do this at the speed of thought. Bleh.

Scooter on
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    So Sandman and Mist fight in the Savage Land which is surrounded by volcanoes. Couldn't Mist lure Sandman nearer and nearer to one of them until the heat turns Sandman to glass(remember Sandman is dumb)? Once that happens she could just shoot him, end of fight.

One downside of this is that Mist would also be exposed to the same kind of heat, which she might not handle well.

Marathon on
    edited November 2006
    so here's Marvel.com's entry on swarm, just to clarify his powers

Swarm is a composite being of hundreds of thousands of bees driven by a human intelligence. Swarm is technically intangible, as his body is merely an aggregate of tiny forms, and he can fly through the air or assume any shape and size he desires. Swarm can also mentally influence the actions of other bees, the full range of which may extend over hundreds of yards in radius. At first, Swarm seemed capable of only controlling other bees, but he has exhibited the ability to communicate/control other insects as well.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited November 2006
    Here's a scenario I just thought of. What if Levy teleports Ultron right into the middle of the Xorn/Titanium man fight? Maybe he could do so mid-blast and have ultron's attack hit Xorn, pissing him off.

Heh, I guess thats a stretch, but it would definately equal Ultron death...

GoodCitizen on