As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] New graphics cards are outrageously expensive. News at 11.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Also,it takes a lot of beating on a core to get any real issues. I had a card I'd run hot as I didn't care about it and it took 2 years of daily gaming to kill it.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    and it's actually more common than you would think for one core in a CPU to run a little hotter than the rest. making CPU's where the transistors are 14nm in size is actually extremely hard, way harder than we give fabs credit for.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    The threadripper is overpacked to fuck.

Jesus, I see what they're trying to do but it could've been done just as easily with a box.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Perspective can be a bitch.

Me: "Hey guys, check out this 2TB SSD for only $319; it's pretty good! 17c/GB is the cheapest I've ever seen" [yes my math is slightly off]
    Them: "THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS WTF!" "Yeah, converting to SSDs is still too expensive!"

[Picard facepalm]

I could belabor the point and show them you can get a 250GB for under $100 with little effort, but it won't matter. None of them have gotten to experience how I can cold boot in under 20 seconds; or restart in under 10 seconds, and even then I don't know how much they'd care.

Sorry, I had to vent a little.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Well, to be fair I might balk at ~300 for a drive, too. Especially for 2TB.

But, I get your point. The relative cost at any size is still worth the benefits.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Graphics card, CPU, main storage, and CPU Cooler have arrived. C'mon shipping companies, let me have my motherboard and RAM

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    This might be a better question for the TV thread, but just in case:

I've got two monitors for my office, my oldest one crapped out this weekend. I replaced it with the same model as the newer monitor.

However I cannot get the settings to match up. I had hoped that getting the same monitor would mean that they would finally have identical colors/brightness/contrasts but nope. not even close.

This seems like a thing that shouldn't be? Is there a way I can look up if they're actually using different screens or something?

I've got every setting on the monitors and in windows identical on both PC's and the only difference is that one has a GTX 980 and the other has a GTX 770, which shouldn't be producing different results. Plus, the now older screen is the display for my old PC and it has the same colors as before so I'm fairly sure it doesn't have anything to do with the GPU.

If I put the same thing up on both screens it looks like colors seem to be pretty close, but the whites are completely different. I can't seem to find settings on the new monitor to where I can get a similar white color to the older one without washing out actual colors.

What it feels like visually is similar to when I have windows turn on the night-mode where it reduces blues (but it isn't on, and isn't on in the monitor either), on the new monitor, so the whites seem "warm" and yellowish, where as the older monitor the whites are straight white and pretty vivid. I'm going to fiddle with the calibration within windows to see if I can get it better, but it seems odd that the displays are so different, despite being the same model.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    If you want to get two monitors two exactly match, even two of the exact same model, you'll need calibration tools/hardware. I've calibrated labs of computers for photography and every single monitor calibrated differently. You can try and find a custom profile somewhere made for your model of monitor, apply it to both, and see if they match any better.

I would first check to see what the color temperature and gamma are on the new monitor. It's probably set to something completely different from your 'old' one.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    They're set identically, I've gone through and made sure of that. I don't have any funky color calibration profiles in windows and I have the nvidia control panel just set to the default stuff.

My old monitor was actually more like this new one, visually, which makes me think the problem might be more with the "old" one of the two I now have.

I did just notice that the new one has an option for "blue light" settings that my old one doesn't have; despite being the same model. I'm trying to check now if it is possible to update their firmware, though I suspect not.

They were manufactured over 3 years apart (july 2014, dec 2017), so it is entirely possible there is just a difference in the panels I guess.

EDIT: They're ASUS VN279Q's. There doesn't seem to be any preset recommendations out there as far as I can tell. I will go through and eyeball the calibration with http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ when it is darker and the screens don't have any light reflecting from the window behind me. Since they have the same settings currently, I imagine even if I can get them where I want them they'll have pretty different settings. Unfortunately I don't have access to professional calibration tools.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    If they were manufactured more than a couple of months apart, I guarantee you they're using different panels.

• Options
    Yeah I think they're definitely just different panels.

I fiddled with the stuff enough to get them a lot closer, still off enough to distract me if they both have google or something open and they're mainly white.

If I had the money I'd just buy another one hoping I got the same panel as the new one just for my sanity but alas.

I'll just have to try to not have them have predominantly white screens at the same time whenever possible :rotate:

• Options
    Double check the part info on the back of the housing. I'm willing to bet the newer one has a different version number (which would also imply a different panel). Not that it helps you, but it could explain some of the discrepancy.

It may also be worth noting the manufacture dates of both and emailing ASUS directly (for whatever that's worth) and see what they can recommend.

• Options
    yea, generally unless you're buying two of the same screens on the exact same day that were actually built in the exact same batch in the factory, the odds of variance in them is very high. Even a production run where it might be the same part, but built a month apart could lead to some variance.

We talk about silicon lottery for CPU's often, but that's also true of LCD/OLED panels, especially in pairs.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Also gotta factor in screen use time between the two screens that can cause color variance.

3 years on a back light is a bit of time.

emp123 on
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Well, I hate to be needy, but I've run into a lot of problems with my computer after adding more thermal paste and moving my video card.

Lately I've been having a lot of blue screen of death messages. They aren't the same message every time either.

2 of them are WIn32k.sys, the rest are just plain blue screens. It's becoming more and more common on my machine. I don't know whether to restore my machine back to an image or what, but my machine is completely unstable.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    Well, I contacted EVGA about my graphics card and it looks like I'm doing an RMA.

The card isn't stable in any of the games I play and crashes at random.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    The 0x##### parts are important if you can get them, usually it's an IRQL error which is driver related.

I'm highly suspicious of your card's hardware being the culprit. Did you put it on liquid cooling too by any chance or is it using stock still?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Also, did you try moving the GPU back to the pci-e slot it was originally in?

• Options
    Yeah I'd find the PCI slot that is meant for video cards (the highest one usually) and set everything back up and do a clean wipe of the system and start from scratch.

Delete the windows partitions and redo it from the windows install.

I am highly suspicious this is the video card driver freaking out that your PCI port isn't matching where it was originally installed (and also might be pushing too much bandwidth, like I said, those slots are not all equivalent just because they're the same size).

If your CPU cooler is too obnoxious and interferes with your video card, it's time to get a new CPU cooler.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    I moved it back into the original slot. They told me to download a program and uninstall the card drivers/reinstall them in safe mode.

I did so, and called them back. They said I should RMA the card back to them.

My card crashes at random when playing any game I own.

@bowen The card is using stock cooling.

I don't think a full reinstall of windows will fix the problems. I am hesitant to do that because I will be stuck behind a giant wall of downloads I need to do to get my computer back to normal.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    Hey guys, just finished my new PC and wondering where is a good place to sell a 1080 used that isn't Ebay? I mean, I'd like to try and find an avenue to make sure it gets to someone who plays video games, but I'm not even sure if the mining craze is still in full effect.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Roe wrote: »
    I moved it back into the original slot. They told me to download a program and uninstall the card drivers/reinstall them in safe mode.

I don't think a full reinstall of windows will fix the problems. I am hesitant to do that because I will be stuck behind a giant wall of downloads I need to do to get my computer back to normal.

ninite.com

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Roe wrote: »

ninite.com

I have about 400 gbs of games on my PC, but thanks for the app.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    Crayon wrote: »
    Hey guys, just finished my new PC and wondering where is a good place to sell a 1080 used that isn't Ebay? I mean, I'd like to try and find an avenue to make sure it gets to someone who plays video games, but I'm not even sure if the mining craze is still in full effect.

Best place I'd recommend is /r/hardwareswap since it tends to be visited by regulars of the PC gaming and PC building subreddits.

Even then, you're still just selling to an internet stranger.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    So some leaked reviews are saying the Ryzen 2700X can actually beat the 8700K in a lot of gaming benchmarks. Looks like the clock speed bumps of Ryzen+, and whatever single threaded enhancements AMD could squeeze in, are paying off. I'll wait for more reviews before buying it whole hog, but as an 8700K owner this is great! Intel was really under no pressure to release the new 8-core mainstream CPU's with their own clock speed and process enhancements until later this year. If the 2700X really is that fast maybe we'll see another reasonable performance jump from Intel sooner.

Yay for competition!

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Yay for competition!

So long as people, and more importantly manufacturers, buy the competition.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    I like what I've been hearing about the 2700X but I don't think I'll be upgrading just yet. Part of me thinks it'll be worth waiting for Ryzen 3 next year.

I'm more interested in getting a EVGA GTX 2080 when local retailers put them up for preorder later this year. If they're even being released this year that is.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    i just bought a 1700x and i guess it doesn't bother me at all that it's getting replaced basically immediately

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I think we'll see Nvidia's new cards this year, it's just a matter of when. Even if AMD doesn't challenge directly, they'll want to extend their own lead and it's about that time to get 1080 Ti owners to throw another 600-700 bucks at their monitors (me...this is me).

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Hard to believe that 4 years later my 4770k (OC'd to 4.3ghz) and GTX 980 (ok this part's only ~3 years old) don't really merit upgrading from. With the exception of the occasional, still-totally-unexplained hard crashes to black while playing PoE, we're trucking along nicely.

Except for VRAM, I suppose. I am playing FFXV in 1080p via Steam Link and I seem to always be at 95% VRAM utilization. And I'm definitely not cranked up all the way in graphics details.

And while I have a Vive which theoretically would love a 10-series card with a little more VRAM, I really don't play it much at all.

GPU prices are starting to fall on eBay/Reddit, so maybe I can move up to a 1070 or something, and sell my 980? I need to look at some FFXV benchmarks.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Ugh. So I misclicked in Amazon and didn't realize it. I got a single 16gb stick of DDR, instead of 2x8. How much of a performance hit do you think it will be short term (1-4 months)? I'll grab a second stick but don't really want to drop another $200 right now, and I just had USB ports on my motherboard fail, so I'd like to get the new build up and running ASAP since this is a crazy busy month for me and I'm doing a lot of work from home.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Not so much as you'd really notice. Just ensure if you decide to get another, that you get the same model.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    So i've tested my PSU and run memtest on my RAM and upgraded my GPU but I'm still getting random reboots on my PC including it turning itself on for no reason. I have reason to believe that the motherboard is failing so now I'm trying to decide what to do. I've just emailed the manufacturer (ASRock) to see what they can do but assuming nothing comes of that since the mobo is 3 years old, I'm torn.

I have an i5-4690K and 16GBs of RAM. All the Z97 mobos are looking like they are CDN$200+ which sucks because that's way more than I originally paid. I'm tempted to just get a B85 motherboard like this one as a stopgap (I know it can't be overclocked) until I can upgrade my whole PC which I was looking to do next year anyways.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    Newegg.ca has this, an ASRock ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, for $169 after rebate https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157501&cm_re=z97-_-13-157-501-_-Product

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    That name is horrendous.

• Options
    Yeah, I was debating editing my post and saying that. It is a truly horrible name.

• Options
    I love how it specifically says Fatal1ty twice in the name.

Though my favorite product name will forever be the "Sprint Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch"

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Man, Fatal1ty was one of the first celebrity gamers out there. That dude must have made so much money on that screen name. I doubt many people could even tell you who he was anymore.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    So I went ahead and reformatted the drive. The computer's really fast now, but my games still crash.

Sucks I'm going to have to RMA the card, but there's no denying now that it is busted.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
This discussion has been closed.