As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 5E] Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    So for those that use maps and tiles while playing; how do you handle huge ass maps like Wave Echo Cave from the starter box? Small dungeons and small sections of wilderness are no problem. Even sprawling random dungeons wouldn't be an issue of just removing sections they've been through. But how can you represent the source material faithfully (and without giving away unexplored sections) of big ass maps?

Depending on the map, sometimes you can cover the "unexplored" sections with paper (use sticky tack); alternatively, sometimes the players happen to find a map of the location, and so I just leave the whole thing exposed.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    So for those that use maps and tiles while playing; how do you handle huge ass maps like Wave Echo Cave from the starter box? Small dungeons and small sections of wilderness are no problem. Even sprawling random dungeons wouldn't be an issue of just removing sections they've been through. But how can you represent the source material faithfully (and without giving away unexplored sections) of big ass maps?

Roll20 and fog of war

E: to clarify, I use my tv and a lappy to show my players the Roll20 map from a player’s perspective and make my rolls on it while they usually use dice.

Kadoken on
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    53eke6td91ut.jpg

I found a miniature today of a "werearmadillo". The clerk said when they were ordering minis she just so happened to see it listed, at which point she demanded they order some. I don't know when I'd ever use this, but I'm glad they had it!

It could just be me but this guy looks like he could be...

The Holiday Armadillo!!!

MV5BMjAyMjcyMzYyNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODQyMzYzMzE@._V1_.jpg

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I can't decide whether I want to get to 2nd level in Warlock for the invocations or 4th level in Fighter for the ASI, and then I don't know if I want to increase my Charisma or take a feat (or which feat).

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular

One thing my old DM used to do before we switched to an electronic solution (InfinitasDM), was make a photocopy of the large map then cut up all the rooms individually and place them down as players got there.

steam_sig.png
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular

I play D&D with my kids and when I'm working with big poster maps I just fold it up so that they can only see the current space they're in. Sometimes it doesn't fold up quite right and they can see a little bit of the next area, but that just makes for a good hook for them to want to explore. "Dad what's over there?" "Hmm, guess when you're done here you'll have to go find out!"

• HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »

One thing my old DM used to do before we switched to an electronic solution (InfinitasDM), was make a photocopy of the large map then cut up all the rooms individually and place them down as players got there.

That leads to the problem of finding the specific map with 1" grids to print out. I shudder thinking about all the toner I'll use. Maybe a flat TV on the table is the best option. Just seems clunky (and bulky). But all 3 of us love minis on the table. It's what we prefer going all the way back to when I introduced them to Heroquest.

kx3klFE.png
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »

That leads to the problem of finding the specific map with 1" grids to print out. I shudder thinking about all the toner I'll use. Maybe a flat TV on the table is the best option. Just seems clunky (and bulky). But all 3 of us love minis on the table. It's what we prefer going all the way back to when I introduced them to Heroquest.

There's plenty of free and paid (drivethrurpg) dungeon tiles you can print out on to paper, as well as Paizo's Flip-Mats and Flip-Tiles, and WOTC's 30+ years of tile products. Buying a tablet and running roll20 on it can work, but is going to add a lot more to learn for you. Another option is hand drawn maps with a clear-plastic grid mat to place over it.

You might also like Dungeonographer.

edited April 2018
    Yea... I may or may not have already purchased dungeonographer... By God I wanted a map of the cart and dead horses plus path they were traveling on

Guess my printer is the best option. May God have mercy on my toner.

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    You can also always just purchase a ream of 1 inch graph paper.

Grab some markers afterward and you can make a fun map that can be either stored away (cause they fold up easily) or toss it once done with it.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    Yea... I may or may not have already purchased dungeonographer... By God I wanted a map of the cart and dead horses plus path they were traveling on

Guess my printer is the best option. May God have mercy on my toner.

I mean, nothing says it has to be in color. Alternatively, you could always put a file on a cd/thumb drive and take it to a local Kinkos/CopyCop/etc. and print out a map at whatever size, color, and quality options you want (though this could get costly).

steam_sig.png
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    My group is pretty experienced (3 months into this campaign, almost 1.5 years together and everyone has experience in DnD before this)

And they went into the chaos wastes where everything is backwards. Literally. Failing a check succeeds and succeeding a check fails.

The best part is when they come back they’re going to ask me if they’re finally in the place where having a high AC is bad and I will tell them to make an Intelligence check....

wbBv3fj.png
    edited April 2018
    Zonugal wrote: »

Grab some markers afterward and you can make a fun map that can be either stored away (cause they fold up easily) or toss it once done with it.

I've thought about this path too. I do love to draw diagrams and have a shit load of pencil and pen drawings of towns, countrysides and mountains from my model railroading days (not to mention extensive rail lines). Wonder if I can find a pad about the size of an office desktop calendar. That plus some sharpies and I should be set.

Although, hirst arts does have some sweet moulds...

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular

I've thought about this path too. I do love to draw diagrams and have a shit load of pencil and pen drawings of towns, countrysides and mountains from my model railroading days (not to mention extensive rail lines). Wonder if I can find a pad about the size of an office desktop calendar. That plus some sharpies and I should be set.

Something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/School-Smart-Grid-Chart-Tablet/dp/B003U6KWAY

Denada wrote: »

Something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/School-Smart-Grid-Chart-Tablet/dp/B003U6KWAY

Hah! That's the exact one I was looking at.

kx3klFE.png
    My plan to justify why we attacked orog guards unprovoked and killed one:

- Cast hex on the orog king and impose disadvantage on Wisdom checks
    - Tell him we battled evil spirits in the mountain and that two possessed the guards to get revenge on us and to turn the town against us
    - Nature itself opposed the evil spirits, which is why the spider attacked one of the guards
    - I had to kill the one guard because the evil spirit was consuming his soul, and freeing his soul from his body was the only way to save him
    - My violent exorcism was accompanied by a fog cloud and a fiery explosion (actually my allies' fog cloud and exploding bottle of oil)
    - Cast friends on a child, convince the child that the evil spirit left the surviving guard and entered them, and when the spell ends and the child becomes hostile claim that it is the spirit taking control of them
    - Proclaim that certain measures must be undertaken quickly to save the child's soul

I decided to roll some dice to see how this might play out. Turns out Hex and Friends aren't guaranteed "they believe you" spells, even with a +5 to Deception. Maybe if I figure out the least amount of Deception checks I could make to give me less opportunity to be found out...

BTW, how often during social encounters do you guys improvise dialogue versus telling the DM the gist of what your character is saying? I'd like to do the former more often, but I don't feel like I'm good at it. I often hesitate with my word choices, for one, resulting in dialogue like:

"You see your majesty, the actual reason we had to subdue those guards was because one of them was possessed by an evil spirit, uh, they both were, and we had to, uh, we were able to drive out one of them, the evil spirits, but the other one was clenched so tightly into the soul that we had, uh, we had to remove, we had to remove it from his body to prevent it from being tainted by the spectre of undeath."

That was me improvising on speech to text just now (with some alterations). So, not that great.

• evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    From a DM's point of view:
    Soooo generally casting stuff in front of the king, at the king, and then said king behaving weirdly will get you killed in my game (Unless you're a sorcerer with subtle spell).
    I think the mistake most players make is assuming that the charm condition (however applied) is the same as mental domination.
    It isn't.
    It increases your chance at persuading the other party to see things your way. Having said that, there are some things that people aren't going to change their behaviour for, regardless of who is trying to enact such a change.

As to your last thing..
    I don't want to open a can of worms here, so put carefully:
    If I can't for the life of me figure out what one of my players is gunning for I'll ask them. Generally I try not to punish poorly thought out arguments (unless they're really/intentionally bad). I'm more prone to lower my DC if their argument is good or they're making an effort to stay in character (which varies from table to table, my group is rather RP lite). I hope your DM appreciates you trying to do stuff in character, and in time, you'll get better at it.

Ultimately, I think most DMs want their players to succeed except for when they go all murder-hobo-y. "Bad" RP, "good" RP, there's more happening in the meta level.
    If, in your example, it was commonly known that there were malevolent spirits in the mountains then the fact that you didn't mention it in your RP (or any of the other stuff you planned to include) wouldn't be a deal breaker. The king or an advisor could allude to it.
    If you guys just decided to murder two guards for the fun of it and then cast hex on the king, in front of the king, I'm taking one of your heads and putting it on display.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Usually I find such problems resolve themselves after I give people 2-4 'confirmation dialogs' before doing something particularly stupid. "Really? You're really sure you want to hex the king? They'll be able to see you doing it, and it's a hostile action..."

I'm not great at off-the-cuff dialog myself, so I tend to abstract talking a bit. I often ask my players what kind of information they're trying to find out, then think about what the NPC I'm speaking for would know and would want to say.

So DMs... Looting bodies. My kids (err, players) try and loot everything down to the gold fillings when they slay someone. How do you keep the loot down? They're taking bows and swords. Kinda had to say no to a goblins armor... But jeeze. Do your players just do a general "I loot the corpse" and they get some things? Are weapns/armor in too bad of shape to toss in their sacks and sell back in town?

And God lord no children. You cannot skin the goblin and sell his hide. This isn't minecraft. It's a process.

kx3klFE.png
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    That's pretty standard. The standard, annoying, way of dealing with it is to start with weight and then scale up the annoying unfun shit until you start talking about flooding the local market causing deflation and market caps and....

Gold is pretty much useless after the first few levels in D&D so give them enough of it that trying to pawn gear doesn't feel rewarding to them.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    So DMs... Looting bodies. My kids (err, players) try and loot everything down to the gold fillings when they slay someone. How do you keep the loot down? They're taking bows and swords. Kinda had to say no to a goblins armor... But jeeze. Do your players just do a general "I loot the corpse" and they get some things? Are weapns/armor in too bad of shape to toss in their sacks and sell back in town?

And God lord no children. You cannot skin the goblin and sell his hide. This isn't minecraft. It's a process.

Generally, one of two ways:

1) Tell them that the goblins' equipment is in terrible condition, and is unlikely to fetch anything when they try and sell it. And then follow through - the blacksmith in town snorts, says, "That's not even worth melting down," and tells them to get lost. This tends to not work with more advanced enemies

2) Let them. Then have them tell you how they're lugging around 500 pounds of assorted junk.

• Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    Until they've managed to find bags of holding or portable holes encumbrance can be an issue.

As others stated, make the monster stuff gross. The goblin bow smells like rotting meat, the leather armor was sour smelling and sticky BEFORE it was covered in goblin blood, etc....

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I second the "the goblins stuff is garbage, and not worth anything." method. And if you don't want bother with counting pounds, a simple "You're still hauling 17 goblins shortswords, right? Disadvantage on anything do you because of the bulk." That should be sufficient to get the point across.

And if they really want loot, give the goblins a few silver pieces in a pouch. Pocket change. Also, thematically appropriate. How many mooks have a fortune in their wallet? Save the bigger paydays for the bigger baddies.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I like Jerry's solution for The "C"-team: there's a Hoardsperson who needs to keep track of everything they hoard and is awarded for doing a good job of it. Jerry is ridiculously weird about what is actually a "good job", but you can make it a lot more straightforward and just tell them that whatever they loot, they will have to keep track of it and you can audit them every once in a while. (or threaten to, at least)

• CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    My plan to justify why we attacked orog guards unprovoked and killed one:

- Cast hex on the orog king and impose disadvantage on Wisdom checks
    - Tell him we battled evil spirits in the mountain and that two possessed the guards to get revenge on us and to turn the town against us
    - Nature itself opposed the evil spirits, which is why the spider attacked one of the guards
    - I had to kill the one guard because the evil spirit was consuming his soul, and freeing his soul from his body was the only way to save him
    - My violent exorcism was accompanied by a fog cloud and a fiery explosion (actually my allies' fog cloud and exploding bottle of oil)
    - Cast friends on a child, convince the child that the evil spirit left the surviving guard and entered them, and when the spell ends and the child becomes hostile claim that it is the spirit taking control of them
    - Proclaim that certain measures must be undertaken quickly to save the child's soul

I decided to roll some dice to see how this might play out. Turns out Hex and Friends aren't guaranteed "they believe you" spells, even with a +5 to Deception. Maybe if I figure out the least amount of Deception checks I could make to give me less opportunity to be found out...

BTW, how often during social encounters do you guys improvise dialogue versus telling the DM the gist of what your character is saying? I'd like to do the former more often, but I don't feel like I'm good at it. I often hesitate with my word choices, for one, resulting in dialogue like:

"You see your majesty, the actual reason we had to subdue those guards was because one of them was possessed by an evil spirit, uh, they both were, and we had to, uh, we were able to drive out one of them, the evil spirits, but the other one was clenched so tightly into the soul that we had, uh, we had to remove, we had to remove it from his body to prevent it from being tainted by the spectre of undeath."

That was me improvising on speech to text just now (with some alterations). So, not that great.

That's actually pretty hilarious. I'm imagining the weight of the queen's gaze upon you as you mumble out your "well, you see, uh, what happened was". She stares at you, drilling holes into your skin until, suddenly, her frown breaks. "Ah, yes, ghosts. Terrible business. Pardons all around."

Generally I'll say what I mean, and then follow up with what I say. In my last session I encountered an obviously up-to-no-good woman who was 'looking for her father' in the jungle with a camp full of obvious bandits and ex-cons. The DM tells me she's young and attractive, and I'm playing a Fighter with the Knight background, so I figure it'd be funny if I fell in love with her and she tried to get me killed somehow. "Oh, Moloch is totally in love with her now. He basically swears an oath to find her father, completely ignoring the fact that she's a half-elf and her supposed father is a dwarf; I definitely mention being a knight like three or four times. Lady [NPC Name], it is my duty as a knight to help those in need. I give you my oath as a knight of Helm to find your father. You have my word as knight of Felbarr."

If you're having a hard time speaking figuring out what to say, I recommend speaking in the Shatnerian fashion. It adds drama, gives you time to think, and normally everyone finds it to be pretty funny (depending, newer groups probably have no idea who Shatner is).

"You see your majesty... the reason we... had to subdue those guards was-one of them was possessed .. by an evil... spirit... they both were." [long pause, look at the crowd] "We were able to.. drive.. them.. out-one of them, the evil spirits, had clenched so tightly into the soul that we had to... remove it-to prevent it from being tainted by the... spectre of... undeath."

edited April 2018
    evilthecat wrote: »
    If you guys just decided to murder two guards for the fun of it and then cast hex on the king, in front of the king, I'm taking one of your heads and putting it on display.

Well, for one thing these are orogs (unusually civil orogs, to be fair), and I don't think so much he's an actual king as he is a village chieftan that calls himself a king. What really happened was our druid turned into a giant spider to scout from the side of the mountain while we talked to the guards (who demanded a 1000 gold piece toll to enter) but the guards spotted the giant spider and started throwing javelins at him. Our ranger (who is also a centaur) decided to charge at the guards while they were distracted, but missed. My character (who is secretly a chaotic evil yuan-ti pureblood that has a pact with the Demon Queen of Mariliths) was initially going to parley with the guards (as he is trying to pretend not to be evil both because he has an undercover mission from his cult and because he likes manipulating others), but once our ranger decided to attack the guards my character was happy to accept an excuse for violence (although I was also expecting these orogs to be more evil than they apparently are).

As for the Hex, I thought I might have my character either target the king from a distance before I talk to him (it has a range of 90 feet) or have my character act out a number of made-up rites of respect and blessing upon the king before and after hexing him. The Friends and Charm Person spells state that the target only realizes a spell has been cast upon them after the effect ends, and Hex makes no mention of the target ever being aware of the effect.

As a yuan-ti pureblood I also have access to Suggestion, but the wording of it is so vague that I'm not really certain how to use it or what my DM would be okay with. All it says is that the suggestion given must be "reasonable", but the example given (a knight being suggested to give his horse to a peasant) doesn't sound that reasonable to me.

I was considering if my con went well and the orog king believed my story that I would also cast Suggestion to convince the king that he should assign all his warriors to watch the supposedly-possessed child in case he turns into a monster while the king himself joins our party to go and find a way to lift the curse (which I could attempt to justify with "I am familiar with sympathetic magic, and I believe there may be a special ritual I can perform to use the temporal power you possess over the boy as his king in a way that counters the evil power of the spirit").

Then we subdue the orog king and take him to the nearby city to see if there is a bounty on his head. Really he brought it on himself by having his guards charge a 1000 gold piece toll.

Hexmage-PA on
  • AbbalahAbbalah Registered User regular
    The usual bar for 'reasonable' for that type of charm effect is basically 'will not immediately result in suicide or serious physical harm', although the wording for Suggestion seems to indicate that it's more about how you phrase it than about the request itself - If "give your horse to the first person you see" isn't reasonable, "worldly possessions are a weight on the soul, so in order to better commune with your god and properly fulfill your duty as a knight, it's very important that you give your horse to the first person you see" probably would be.

In your scenario, it seems like a perfectly appropriate use of the spell for your instructions to be "there are malevolent ghosts attacking your people, so it's very important that you trust everything I say and/or pardon us for murdering your guards"

Or if the city you're trying to take him to is within 8 hours travel, "so it's very important that you come with us to [town] to find a special ghost-killing weapon that I definitely did not make up."

That stuff is basically the exact intended use of Suggestion

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    The thing about suggestion is that while the target might not realize it until the spell ends, everyone else in the area will be. Because they saw you waving your hands around like a wizard casting the spell..

Unless you have subtle spell of course.

wbBv3fj.png

Look up encumberance rules.

steam_sig.png
    Goumindong wrote: »
    The thing about suggestion is that while the target might not realize it until the spell ends, everyone else in the area will be. Because they saw you waving your hands around like a wizard casting the spell..

Not for Suggestion - the spell has no somatic component, just verbal (and a trivial material component, which probably shouldn't be [but technically is] required for a Yuan-ti casting the spell innately). And presumably the verbal component is just the instruction you're giving rather than some kind of identifiable incantation.

• iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Abbalah wrote: »

Not for Suggestion - the spell has no somatic component, just verbal (and a trivial material component, which probably shouldn't be [but technically is] required for a Yuan-ti casting the spell innately). And presumably the verbal component is just the instruction you're giving rather than some kind of identifiable incantation.

Word from on high is that Verbal components are mystic mumbo jumbo.

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/10/12/suggestion-spell-component/

iguanacus wrote: »

Fair. Either way, though - no waving of hands or special gestures required, which means you'll only be 'spotted' casting that spell by people other than the target who can hear you clearly and can't be convinced that you were just clearing your throat.

Weirdly, Friends is the reverse - has a somatic component, but no verbal component. Gotta wave your hands around, but no need to make noise of any kind.

Fair. Either way, though - no waving of hands or special gestures required, which means you'll only be 'spotted' casting that spell by people other than the target who can hear you clearly and can't be convinced that you were just clearing your throat.

Weirdly, Friends is the reverse - has a somatic component, but no verbal component. Gotta wave your hands around, but no need to make noise of any kind.

The somatic component for the friends spell is a firm handshake. :D

Elvenshae wrote: »

The somatic component for the friends spell is a firm handshake. :D

What is it for Friends With Benefits?

steam_sig.png
  • ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    I have a trap room and I need help.

There are 6 giant statues of this worlds version of Templar Knights. Each one has one of the following words inscribed on it: Strength, Recklessness, Trust, Friendship, Protection and Power.

Those words are taken from a message that was given to one of the players by his Goddess a while back. Here is the message for context:
    “You are strong my child, but you are reckless. Trust in your friends, they will not let you fall. And you will need them for the task I set before you: protect the remnants of my Mother’s blessing upon this earth. The demons wish to consume its power and that cannot come to pass. Stop this catastrophe and be anointed my knight and carry my blessing forever more.”

Six statues.
    Six words inscribed on each of them.
    Two open pits with grinders at the bottom. Think a hole with a wood chipper in it.
    A player with a message from his Goddess that is a clue to solving the trap.

Maybe putting weapons that correspond to the inscriptions into the hands of the Knights? Strength = 2 handed bastard sword for example, but I get stumped at what a reckless weapon might be.
    I like that I have something about falling in the message but I can't wrap it up all tidy like.
    I'm not attached to the 6 words or even the statues but I want that message to be the clue to solving this death trap.

Reckless weapon lance or maybe 2h maul?

steam_sig.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I have a hard time picturing a weapon that would be more reckless than a spiked chain. Sure, it may not officially be 5e, but nothing really says "I am fresh out of fucks to give" like swinging a fifteen foot long length of anchor chain with spikes at one end.

see317 on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I think claw weapons or other weapons that require you to get all up in someone's business are quite reckless.

That, or a blunderbuss

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Are there any weapons that give a penalty to defence?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    How about spiked armour?