As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Homestuck]: Turns out the ride NEVER ends

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    darunia106 wrote: »
    Homestuck is good

Homestuck is good. I just don't have the patience or attention span to finish it.

Would it help to have it in essentially audiobook form? Would you be interested in letting someone ...tell you... about Homestuck?

I was actually kind of interested in there being a homestuck on youtube with it being read. I am even capable of looking past poor voice interpretations of the trolls.

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Homestuck is good

Homestuck is good. I just don't have the patience or attention span to finish it.

Would it help to have it in essentially audiobook form? Would you be interested in letting someone ...tell you... about Homestuck?

I was actually kind of interested in there being a homestuck on youtube with it being read. I am even capable of looking past poor voice interpretations of the trolls.

There's an amazing audio form of Homestuck

https://youtu.be/5jMzJaztnFs

Sadly it isn't completed and it probably never will :(

• DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Homestuck is good

There's an amazing audio form of Homestuck

https://youtu.be/5jMzJaztnFs

Sadly it isn't completed and it probably never will :(

They just updated today, with OpenBound part 2! But, you're probably right. Still damn impressive for volunteers, though, and getting that far into Act 6 with them should make it easy for anyone to read the rest on their own.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    ahahahaha they blurred out my painting on hussie's wikipedia photo, fuckign incredible

Wait you painted those?

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    it's not on youtube but here's an RSS feed of @Ms Dapper and @The Betgirl reading the whole thing, doing voices, and discussing the comic as they go along

• darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Homestuck is good

I would actually. Tell me more.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    tell you more... about homestuck?

BahamutZERO.gif
    Unironically and unequivocally, yes.

pHWHd2G.jpg
    it's not on youtube but here's an RSS feed of @Ms Dapper and @The Betgirl reading the whole thing, doing voices, and discussing the comic as they go along

Excellent. Thank you.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    So, Homestuck Day came and went, and there wasn't even a news post? That's ... not a great sign.

I'm still a little confused how this buyout happened at all. What is Viz planning on doing with the IP? Why effectively cancel the only upcoming planned project? Why would Hussie sell it after the Odd Gentlemen incident in the first place? Is he just sick of dealing with Homestuck alltogether? If so, what exactly is he planning on doing with his life now?

On a more creative note, how did you imagine Homestuck would end, back in the day? Were you, like me, expecting a movie series at some point? How did you envision the comic ending?

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I think Act 7 is pretty much exactly what was expected. They win the game and make a new universe.

I think most people expected a better resolution of Lord English. Or a resolution.

edited April 2018
    (yes I know there's a whole thing re:"what happened to LE" but..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86MN1LUg3F0 )

It might be clever (maybe) but it is pretty darn unsatisfying.

Gvzbgul on
  • Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    23 Minutes. 23 minutes after this game had been released (I had been refreshing the store page for this game all day) I had managed to download the game and play through the game. And when I mean play throug the game I mean 100% completion.

It's a renpy based visual novel, and 100% completion means taking every single conversation route.

So, let's say, 25 minutes of homestuck-style written entertainment. That's what you'll get for 99 cents.
    If you think that's a fair deal: buy it. If you don't: don't.
    The review gives it a Recommended.

Gvzbgul on
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Ge9oWMGl.jpg

I'm not going through the new book super carefully, but I am looking to see what has changed, if anything, since the first set of books. The first thing (other than the slightly revised introduction) is the annotation about John's peanut allergy.

Edit: the perseverance to removing (almost) every reference to Flash is kind of funny.

ASimPerson on
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    what exactly is he planning on doing with his life now?

he's been hitting the interview circuit, sounds like he's still gonna be involved with homestuck for a while yet
    The release of Homestuck Book 1: Act 1 & Act 2 is the first offering from what will be an ongoing partnership between Hussie, Viz Media and What Pumpkin Games, which will produce additional content and merchandise based on the Homestuck universe. Hussie is keeping his cards close to his chest on the topic for now. “It's mostly the books we're focusing on getting out at this point. There will surely be some other things in the works, but it's probably too early to say,” he demurred.

http://www.newsweek.com/homestuck-creator-andrew-hussie-legacy-and-future-his-epic-webcomic-882153

http://www.comicsbeat.com/the-man-behind-homestuck-an-interview-with-andrew-hussie/

uc3ufTB.png
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I mean, Viz is a pretty big company right? After that link to what other things they have been in charge of. I would say at this point he is super corporate and information is going to come out in that fashion. Which would absolutely mean not based on homestuck created dates.

I would probably have been looking for a change of pace after what he likely went through just getting that one game out. The restarted the whole thing like what, 3 times? That had to have been SUPER stressful work. I wonder how much of the money they made up too? Because they likely finished that thing way in the hole.

I think letting Homestuck just be handled by some others for the most part and moving on to whatever else he wanted would be a REALLY good decision. Why not just start another web thing and see where that takes him? Homestuck started basically in another fucking era. It is a different world now, I am sure there is something cool that could come of that.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    it took rereading it and thinking it over for a while but by now i can honestly say that i really like homestuck's ending and don't really feel the need or the desire for any more exposition or extension of the story

well, the capital E Ending. Collide and Cascade. Parts of how it gets there still bug me. I'm a huge Vriska fan and even I don't like how you can kind of read the last few subacts as "Vriska is a monster who hurts everyone she interacts with but she's necessary anyway so suck it up and include her"

But that's nothing that more content could fix, it's just a creative choice i disagree with

Speed Racer on
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    i like the new sketchier style, its looks cool

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    i like the new sketchier style, its looks cool

The sketchy one is the old one. They clarified in the comments, the left image is the new one.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

edited April 2018

For some reason I thought that Harry Anderson being known for magic tricks was, like, part of the joke in the comic, and I kinda feel bad about that.

I really need to bone up on my 80's pop culture, I guess?

ASimPerson on
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    There are some parts of that book that are actually legit from that book which is AMAZING

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09

For some reason I thought that Harry Anderson being known for magic tricks was, like, part of the joke in the comic, and I kinda feel bad about that.

I really need to bone up on my 80's pop culture, I guess?

Yeah I think more the joke was that John Egbert, a 13-year-old in 2009, was really into an actor, magician, and funnyman from the 80s

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Friendsim was pretty good! It's a very Jailbreak meets Homestuck thing with the protagonist singlemindedly focusing on accomplishing Friendship at the expense of anything else, and the new trolls were cool. I got lots of laughs out of it.

But I already have a friendsim in this very thread.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Well after freaking 9 years I've finally finished homestuck.

It's truly an end of an era, because it'll probably be the last webcomic I'll ever read.

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Well after freaking 9 years I've finally finished homestuck.

It's truly an end of an era, because it'll probably be the last webcomic I'll ever read.

:bro:

Children's rights are human rights.
    Friendsim volume 2 just released with another pair of trolls to make friends with or die trying.

tumblr_inline_p80mbb6Nru1qkuoss_1280.jpg

2ohWien.png
    Fuck that's a good pillow

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    i'm afraid of what the other side holds

uc3ufTB.png
    i'm afraid of what the other side holds
    tumblr_inline_p80mbcnPhM1qkuoss_1280.jpg

2ohWien.png
    I hope to one day love someone or something as much as CD loves giant hats

cdci44qazyo3.gif

I thought at first the question was "Why do you have a CD body pillow?"

But then I realized the more pertinent question was

"How do you have a CD body pillow?"

It’s not mine

2ohWien.png
    edited May 2018

Got my hopes up for a minute when I saw they had the Spade t-shirt from the Kickstarter. It's been one of my favorite shirts for years now but I wear it sparingly to try to prevent wearing it out, so I would've loved to have another one.

And then I saw it was only in a small :(

ASimPerson on
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Amusingly, they have unisex GAME GRL shirts left, but only women's GAME BRO shirts.

X22wmuF.jpg