As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Solo < 2 Months Away. Let’s All [Star Wars] Together.

1939495969799»

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    So what happened to the Twi'leks? Just realized we've barely seen any in the new films. I miss them.

We barely saw them in any films. There was like, what, that guy in the bar in ANH and then the slave girl and the majordomo in Jabba's palace in ROTJ and that's basically it.

And then a bunch in the PT too. We had Jedi!

Yeah, but who gives a shit about them. I wanna forget about Gungans too.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    In real terms, in a movie with a finite run time, there's an unreasonable expectation to both want new material and to also have then constantly bringing back old stuff.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I dunno, I mean, the Mon Calamari have been pivotal supporting aliens in the sequel trilogy. They get more screen time in these new movies than they ever got before. I'm pretty sure there's at least one Twi'Lek in Rogue One. We've seen Sullustans in the new movies. They're not missing.

edit: It seems I am a slow poster!

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Unless I'm forgetting someone the only multifilm aliens who were actual characters were chewie, Yoda and jar jar yes?

Aliens are basically window dressing.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    We saw a bunch of Mon Calamari
    I don't remember any Mon Calamari outside of Ackbar in TLJ.

Rogue One sure was consistent, though, in the idea that the Mon Calamari are really really good space battlefield commanders (due to their homeworld combat being in space and preparing them well for space combat tactics) by having Raddus be the Admiral.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I don't always buy Hot Wheels, but when I do, I buy these things:

concept_landspeeder.jpeg

CFcs2FM.jpg

http://yakfaceforums.com/main/2018/04/16/new-hot-wheels-original-concept-series-vehicles/

Stay original concept, my friends.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    ObiFett wrote: »
    The PT introduced a bunch of new aliens, too. It's sort of a thing in Star Wars, always expanding the Galaxy.

But also never forgetting that the races we've seen should still be present

I'd actually argue that lots of the PT aliens were unnecessary and could have been OT aliens.

Except for Twi'leks, which one could argue were included for fan service, most of the OT aliens were just glorified cameos.

The whole point of aliens in Star Wars from the start was mostly glorified cameos. They are almost all only there to make the background universe weird and exotic looking.

Like, you watch ANH and they walk into a bar and it's full of freaky looking aliens and none of them matter except to be like "Holy shit, it's a bar but it's full of freaky looking aliens!"

• Options
    That speeder seems exceptionally decapitatey in concept.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    ASTM F693 is serious business.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    We saw a bunch of Mon Calamari
    I don't remember any Mon Calamari outside of Ackbar in TLJ.

Rogue One sure was consistent, though, in the idea that the Mon Calamari are really really good space battlefield commanders (due to their homeworld combat being in space and preparing them well for space combat tactics) by having Raddus be the Admiral.

Or does that just show the racial stereotyping present in the setting? :P

• Options
    edited April 2018
    I know the X-Wing that we got is an iconic ship and all, but that concept X-Wing is pretty rad in its own right.

Edit: Oh man, the real thing is so cool and so deliciously 70s:
    CZvGTcGWYAARw0D.jpg

dbb67de713b41c961c04672cb6eafacb.jpg

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I know the X-Wing that we got is an iconic ship and all, but that concept X-Wing is pretty rad in its own right.

Edit: Oh man, the real thing is so cool and so deliciously 70s:
    CZvGTcGWYAARw0D.jpg

dbb67de713b41c961c04672cb6eafacb.jpg

I bet they didn't let the S-Foils go that far up because then they wouldn't have been able to fit an astromech droid where they are now.

I love the look of that though

ObiFett on
  • Options
    It's interesting, too, to see the split-intake thing that the new X-Wings famously feature was on the original prototype for the ship. I wonder if streamlining the design for the new movies coincidentally came up with the same solution, or if the artist went back to study the original prototypes and concepts to gather inspiration.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Nien Nunb looks massive in the ST. His head is a beach ball now. I've been hoping for a non human main character going forward. It's entirely possible now with K2 and Maz being proof of concept. Just want one around for an entire film.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Nien Nunb looks massive in the ST. His head is a beach ball now. I've been hoping for a non human main character going forward. It's entirely possible now with K2 and Maz being proof of concept. Just want one around for an entire film.

Ah yes the life cycle of a sullust..ian. Their head never stops growing until it becomes too large for their skull to maintain structural integrity.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

Jar Jar was around for an entire film, and change. :wink:

• Options
    It's interesting, too, to see the split-intake thing that the new X-Wings famously feature was on the original prototype for the ship. I wonder if streamlining the design for the new movies coincidentally came up with the same solution, or if the artist went back to study the original prototypes and concepts to gather inspiration.

Given TFA's take on everything else, I'm betting they went back to the original concept art as a tribute.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    In Episode 9 I want Nien Nunb to be Chewie’s full time copilot since he has all that experience from Endor.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Bogart. Closing thread...

This discussion has been closed.