As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dad of War: Axe Me About My Son[God of War]

• timhodgetimhodge AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I don't think I've played one since the first game launched, and after watching IGN's "GoW in 7 minutes" to catch up, I'm pretty sure I don't need to go back to that surly two-dimensional cartoon bastard of the original series.

But the reviews for the new game... pretty hard to resist that. I've gone from "could not care less" to "need this game today or I'll die".

It's always nice to see a franchise grow up and find a more mature identity in a polished, fun and widely-liked game. Like them new Tomb Raiderers.

0877-0596-8498 | Swirlix, Dedenne, Floette
  • Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    timhodge wrote: »
    I don't think I've played one since the first game launched, and after watching IGN's "GoW in 7 minutes" to catch up, I'm pretty sure I don't need to go back to that surly two-dimensional cartoon bastard of the original series.

But the reviews for the new game... pretty hard to resist that. I've gone from "could not care less" to "need this game today or I'll die".

It's always nice to see a franchise grow up and find a more mature identity in a polished, fun and widely-liked game. Like them new Tomb Raiderers.

I'd add DOOM and the new Wolfensteins; franchises finding second winds by deconstructing their paper thin thin protagonists

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Meanwhile, here's Duke Nukem

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Yeah, if you haven't played the original games, feel free, but don't feel obligated like you'll miss out on a ton of backstory. You won’t.

Meanwhile, here's Duke Nukem

I was absolutely thinking the same thing, about how they could've done something but wizzed it down their legs.

And I don't expect them to do any better should they take another swing.

It's also why maybe Gears 4 didn't stick as hard. It's a fine game but it's all the same, just with a younger cast and they're all still kinda meatheads. But eh, it's also a franchise not as old as these others. You need to get pretty long in the tooth before you can full reboot, I think.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Yeah, if you haven't played the original games, feel free, but don't feel obligated like you'll miss out on a ton of backstory. You won’t.

Well, you will, but it sounds like the new one fills you in the the really important details so it's safe to skip them if you've never played them.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    The important details from the first three games can be summarized in like two sentences.

Literary fiction, they were not.

Steam: Spawnbroker
    Nah, there's more to those games than people are giving them credit for. I'm not saying the original trilogy is some masterwork of story telling, but there was a lot going on there.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Nah, there's more to those games than people are giving them credit for. I'm not saying the original trilogy is some masterwork of story telling, but there was a lot going on there.

Maybe. But what you need to know for Kratos as a character in a new land in a soft reboot can certainly be summarized in very few words.

edited April 2018
    The Gods tricked him into killing his family, so he killed the Gods.

EDIT: I guess strictly speaking, we don't actually KNOW yet what plot points from previous games, if any, will be highlighted with the new one, since I don't think the comprehensive plot has been revealed, yet. But they've been pretty firm that this is basically a reboot of the series, so my money is on any hard references being more of a wink and a nod than a 'this part from God of War 2 is important and relevant to what is happening right now.'

Javen on
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    From a character viewpoint it feels like it can be summed up with:
    He used to be really angry, now he's trying to be less so.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    The Gods tricked him into killing his family, so he killed the Gods.

EDIT: I guess strictly speaking, we don't actually KNOW yet what plot points from previous games, if any, will be highlighted with the new one, since I don't think the comprehensive plot has been revealed, yet. But they've been pretty firm that this is basically a reboot of the series, so my money is on any hard references being more of a wink and a nod than a 'this part from God of War 2 is important and relevant to what is happening right now.'

They've stated numerous times that the new one will follow on from the previous ones. It is not to be considered a reboot, more of a continuation of Kratos' character progression.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I'm reading reviews that say the storytelling in this game is at least on par with The Last of Us.

Its almost like this was the game the God of War team have been looking forward to making the most. That the others were fun, and pulp, but once you'd gotten rid of the gods, once Kratos got his revenge, "Then What?" is the really interesting story to tell. It really gives them a chance to dive into him as a person.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Saw this in the comments of a review and enjoyed it

"the improvement over previous games is immediately a parent"

That's an S-rank dad joke.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I have submitted my request to take the day off. If nothing else, it'll be a nice relaxing Friday.

I eventually want shields that say ‘Worlds Best Dad’ or ‘id rather be golfing’

• MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Grill Master Skin Pack, apron that says "1st Class Male"

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
    Socks n' sandals Kratos skin pls.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    i was pretty done with god of war after 3, which was mechanically and technically enjoyable but a slog story wise. i just wanted kratos to die and fail by the end of it. then i played ascension and was really done with god of war. but this game looks like it does enough different and interesting stuff to pull me back in.

Yeah, I never finished GoW 3 when, yet again,
    Kratos ends up in god damn Hades. The first time was cool, the second time was funny, but the third time my eyes rolled back into my head.
    At least there's literally no way for Kratos to end up there this time....right?
    Donnicton wrote: »

Oooh, I wonder how this one stacks up to the old ones cause the old GoW OSTs were consistently fantastic. That old theme is pretty hard to beat. McCreary does good stuff but I'm a little worried that GoW 3's soundtrack is gonna end up good but a little generic sounding just due to him being the Steve Blum of soundtracks at this point.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    The first game had a lot of goofy alternate costumes that you could unlock, so I see them potentially going in that route. I remember unlocking a cow costume where Kratos used milk jugs and got bonus health when wearing it.

steam_sig.png
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Kratos is absolutely taking a detour through Hel at some point in this game. I’m certain of it.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    God of War 3 had, until I discovered the Nier series, my single absolute favorite choral video game song.
    https://youtu.be/xzRYCz3CV2o

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Kratos is absolutely taking a detour through Hel at some point in this game. I’m certain of it.
    If he does I hope it's lampshaded to all hell.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    If he does I hope it's lampshaded to all hell.

Oh, this shit again.

EDIT - No, he needs to fall into Hel dramatically, then once he settles and surveys the obligatory vista, he says nothing and shakes his head.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    In the third game he's knocked off of Olympus and the series placed Hades personal residence at the base of the mountain, beneath everything else. The third game was about him killing all the gods. If you're going to kill Hades, you need to wind up in Hades at some point to do it.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    The previous games have always made it a point to sneak in a Wilhelm scream at some point in the game, I really hope they hide one in the new one somewhere.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I tried to login to the PS Store online and buy God of War but I keep getting timed out errors trying to login? Anyone else having that issue? Probably will stick with the regular and not the deluxe.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    You guys have no idea how hyped I am for this game. I never really enjoyed the first three games (I found DMC way better) but this one looks like solid gold for me. I'm on the fence on whether or not I should call off on Friday or not. On one hand I ordered it on Amazon so chances are it'll get here at 8pm.... On the other hand does it matter?

Fuckin' Friday release dates, goddamn. This is gonna be a long, boring week.

Fuckin' Friday release dates, goddamn. This is gonna be a long, boring week.

It's a curse and a blessing.

It could be out today, and it'd be awesome! But we have to wait... :(

BUT

Releasing on Friday means I don't have to work the next day and I can stay up playing GoW until my eyes bleed.

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    My day off has been approved.

MY BODY IS READY

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I'll just play it when I get home Friday night

Why burn a day off when it's likely not coming till the afternoon?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I'll just play it when I get home Friday night

Why burn a day off when it's likely not coming till the afternoon?

A day off is still a day off!

But yea that's why when I do days off for Friday releases I take the following Monday off. I'll do Friday off is it's a Tuesday release though.

That said if someone usually gets their mail around 12 or so that still means on Friday they can sleep it, get up and pick up some food and coffee then start playing still many hours before they would have otherwise. Sounds like a good deal either way. Plus working on Friday when excited for a game can make it feel like an eternity. When at home at least you're at home with other fun stuff to do until then.

You can play it right at midnight if you go digital. The trade-off is that Amazon discount.

Gonna be real hard to keep myself from trying out the game when it unlocks. I did that for No Man's Sky and it was great, but I was so dead tired at work the next day.

• LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I have a con to go to this weekend, and prep to do beforehand. So I get about... two hours of playing this on Friday? And then I'll be stuck on the other side of town from it. :(

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Anyone know how large this is gonna be, and when/if it's up for pre-load? I'm thinking I'm going to need to leave my PS4 downloading for a good few hours.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    You can play it right at midnight if you go digital. The trade-off is that Amazon discount.

Gonna be real hard to keep myself from trying out the game when it unlocks. I did that for No Man's Sky and it was great, but I was so dead tired at work the next day.

As a west coaster this is honestly half the reason I go digital. I've had a good track record with GMG prepurchases but this is the first time I'm trying it for a PS4 game, I'm a little worried I won't get my key until day of but the chance of getting it at digital launch with a decent discount? A little too hard to pass up.

• QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    I can tell you why I'll like this game, and a lot of others are jazzed about it. It definitely takes cues from The Last of Us, but is guaranteed not to do something that game does. It won't arbitrarily make the controls shit for purposes of tension. Give me a TLoU game where the controls aren't terrible, and I'll love you with mouth.

And... looks like it arrived.

wbee62u815wj.png
    klemming wrote: »
    Anyone know how large this is gonna be, and when/if it's up for pre-load? I'm thinking I'm going to need to leave my PS4 downloading for a good few hours.

Friday releases typically preload on Wednesdays, so it should be tomorrow.