As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board games] I choose poorly.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    TimFiji wrote: »
    Dashui wrote: »
    azith28 wrote: »
    Got my 7th Continent core set last Thursday, and played it with my group this weekend. 5 hours went by very quickly. Everyone loved the game, and we cant wait to continue our play, even though we basically got completely lost and have to backtrack to even hope to get back to the objective path :)

I just ordered a thousand card sleeves for my game. I've never done that before.

I'm going to end up sleeving the entire game, too. It's not difficult for these cards to get bent. I've already done it on accident to one card. I figure I'll just order sleeves in spurts over the next five months until the second expansion comes, in which case all of this nonsense will actually fit in the boxes.

An additional plus is that the sleeves do make it easier to pick through the cards to get the one I need.

What kind of sleeves did you both get?

Well i ordered the 200 option from the kickstarter and they are okay. I ordered more from
    https://www.maydaygames.com/collections/card-sleeves/products/square-card-sleeves-medium

here. I got the standard, not the premium cause on boardgamegeek they say the premium make the cards too thick to fit in the box if you sleeve them all.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    I'll check these out, thanks. I always feel Mayday has issues with consistency of their sleeves.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      I'll check these out, thanks. I always feel Mayday has issues with consistency of their sleeves.

I've never ordered them before so im going off a suggestion from Board game geek. I have heard about some inconsistancies, but hey...for 250 per 100,at 2.50 a pack, I should manage ok

• Options
      FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
      If anyone is going to the Megagame in Seattle today, I'll be there on Control! Hope you have a good time :D

@CaptainPeacock I'd love to hear about how it went, I've always thought megagames were a great white whale that I want to try.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    • Options
      PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
      Ended up finally getting a couple of games of Thunderstone Quest in over the weekend. Went over really well! The first round was definitely a warm-up as people were figuring out strategies, but everyone really got into it. There's something quite... pure?... being able to set up your adventuring engine and kicking the crap out of things. I really do like the concept of the gear tokens, too. Having stuff like Iron Rations be tokens instead of cards that clog up your deck keep things moving at a nice pace. And having your hand size tied to your HP gives a nice risk-reward of deciding to stay in the dungeon longer and keep fighting to rack up XP... and then eventually having to spend some downtime healing back up because you hit 2 HP.

persona4celestia.jpg
      COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    • Options
      CantidoCantido Registered User regular
      I almost bought Blood Rage but I decided to hold off on tabletop purchases until I move to San Antonio and find out why my job will entail, and if there is a gaming scene there or if the Texans think that scene is Satanicancer. It being the location for PAX South is reassuring.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    • Options
      TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular

I've never ordered them before so im going off a suggestion from Board game geek. I have heard about some inconsistancies, but hey...for 250 per 100,at 2.50 a pack, I should manage ok

Fantastic point

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • Options
        DashuiDashui Registered User regular
        Got my 7th Continent core set last Thursday, and played it with my group this weekend. 5 hours went by very quickly. Everyone loved the game, and we cant wait to continue our play, even though we basically got completely lost and have to backtrack to even hope to get back to the objective path :)

I just ordered a thousand card sleeves for my game. I've never done that before.

I'm going to end up sleeving the entire game, too. It's not difficult for these cards to get bent. I've already done it on accident to one card. I figure I'll just order sleeves in spurts over the next five months until the second expansion comes, in which case all of this nonsense will actually fit in the boxes.

An additional plus is that the sleeves do make it easier to pick through the cards to get the one I need.

Well i ordered the 200 option from the kickstarter and they are okay. I ordered more from
        https://www.maydaygames.com/collections/card-sleeves/products/square-card-sleeves-medium

here. I got the standard, not the premium cause on boardgamegeek they say the premium make the cards too thick to fit in the box if you sleeve them all.

I went with the 200 option from Kickstarter, too, and almost none of them fit. Welp.

The officially-branded sleeves are premium thickness. I ended up ordering 400 premium sleeves from Mayday, as well. It's true they won't fit in the box if you sleeve them all, but the second box that comes in October is designed to do that. The original box will fit all the sleeved action, exploration, and recommended adventure cards, though (just over 400 cards, so my 200 duds didn't screw me over too much).

How do the standard/penny sleeves feel, azith? The previous set of standard sleeves I bought felt crinkly and loose. I ended up swearing them off since then.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
      • Options
        MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
        Lykouragh wrote: »
        MrBody wrote: »
        We have a Blood Rage PbP game going on right now and from what I've read so far it looks like it's going to knock Kemet and Cthulhu Wars out of the "dudes on a map area control" top spot. Definitely don't see a reason to go back to Chaos in the Old World.

I'm finishing up a forum game of Kemet right now. I'm not sure I would ever play it tabletop. The downtime and AP seems like it would be insane with people constantly asking "what powers do you have again?" and triple checking their own powers for combos to pull off. It doesn't come through in a forum game where you have tons of time to think about turns and all the information right in front of you. It's one of those games where you HAVE to print out reference sheets for everyone because the textless hieroglyphics approach is super user unfriendly, possibly moreso than Race for the Galaxy.

Anyone have thoughts on Rising Sun compared to Blood Rage?

I really enjoy Blood Rage; it's fast and you get to make clever bold decisions and they feel meaningful without punishing you too harshly for losing.

That said, I don't think it replaces CitOW in my heart- by losing the asymmetry and adding a draft Blood Rage speeds itself up and reduces the learning curve, but for me the special thing about CitOW was always the delicate asymmetric balance. In Blood Rage you never get that sense of god's personalities and roles in the metagame that you get from CitOW, and this loses you a little of your sense of player immersion and agency.

Delicate asymmetric balances have their own problem though. All players need to be roughly on the same page or above a certain experience level or else the whole thing falls apart and the game is handed to guy who was supposed to be counterbalanced by the weakest player.

CitOW, Cthulhu Wars, Game of Thrones, Dune. I've seen it happen in all those games every single time there was a new player. And most of those aren't short enough games to shrug off an inadvertent kingmaking. They're also not easy to learn all the strategies. You need a group that's mostly on the same page AND new people who are willing to put up with going through breaking several games before they grasp it.

• Options
        Cantido wrote: »
        I almost bought Blood Rage but I decided to hold off on tabletop purchases until I move to San Antonio and find out why my job will entail, and if there is a gaming scene there or if the Texans think that scene is Satanicancer. It being the location for PAX South is reassuring.

I almost bought Blood Rage yesterday. Almost...

The plan was to bike down to the local game store and quickly pick it up so I could get to my weekly group meetup in time to bust it out. This store had had half a dozen copies on the shelf for WEEKS before...you can probably see where this is going.

Look outside. It's raining. Icy rain that's almost slush, but hard enough to sting. The store is too far to walk, and rush hour traffic is so bad it would take longer to drive. But I promised my group I would pick it up, so I throw on a poncho and hop on my bike.

Anyone who's ever tried to ride a bike with a poncho on can tell you how fun that is. Then try doing it with the hood up in busy city traffic. 3 minutes after leaving, the icy rain gives way to SHEETS of downpour. The poncho does not cover my legs. The bike lane is under 4 inches of water. My jeans are saturated. My boxers are soaked. My shoes are so soaked it feels like they have inch think Dr Scholls gel pads in them. It's so bad that when I get to the store, I have to take off my shoes and dump out the water on the sidewalk.

I walk up to the 'B' section. There...is no Blood Rage. Plenty of copies for weeks but now after my watery hell march is the time they sell out. fffffffffuuuuuuuuuUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuck

Dripping wet and freezing, I ride to the group meetup. The entire way remembering that I have a phone and could have called to check...

Get to the group. I announce there is no Blood Rage. I try sitting down to something else but now I'm shivering. I have to leave and go back to my place half a mile away just to put on dry clothes. I get back. Everyone is now playing either Secret Hitler or Catan. ffffffffff

I head back home and go to bed. This morning I wake up with a sore throat. Now the nose is starting to run in a full blown cold.

Damn you, Blood Rage.

• Options
        Holy cow...Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition is getting a fully digital release that does not need the board.

• Options
        Anyone have any thought on Battle for Rokugan and how it compares to Game of Thrones?

• Options
        InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
        Anyone have any thought on Battle for Rokugan and how it compares to Game of Thrones?

It has to be better if only for the shorter playtime. (I do not like the GoT boardgame.)

• Options
        DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
        edited April 2018
        I like Battle for Rokugan a lot. I've only played it and Game of Thrones once each, and it's only similar in the broadest sense, but GoT didn't really win me over, and Rokugan did immediately. It's also short enough that you're itching to play it again right after. Also the box is adorably tiny.

Darric on
      • Options
        Question about sleeving 7th Continent: As I understand it, there are multiple scenarios in the base box. Assuming I wanted to sleeve everything eventually roughly how many sleeves would I need to buy up front to comfortably sleeve, say the first couple of scenarios?

Apologies if I'm totally misunderstanding how the game works.

• Options
        BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
        edited April 2018
        Battle for Rokugan plays a lot quicker, works for a larger span of number of players and is generally easier to explain. Every round will host a variety of alliances, and backstabbing to try and bring the perceived leader down while getting as many points yourself only to see all of that change for the next round. About the only two detriments I would give, there is more randomness (which actions you can take every round) and hidden victory conditions (which hold a sizable amount of points leading to surprise wins).

I personally like GoT more but I like the bigger longer games with perfect information. It is a lot easier to get people around for BfR. I think GoT also works in the theme better than BfR. The difference in clans is all one piece which you may or may not get in the game and a minor power every round.

EDIT:
        Holy cow...Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition is getting a fully digital release that does not need the board.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/4/17/mansions-of-madness-mothers-embrace/?

This sounds like an offshoot, not a full re-implementation of the game. Though, more Mansions is a-okay in my book.

Bluecyan on
      • Options
        I'm hyped for my first game of Clans of Caldedonia, which will be solo, but will groom me to teach the game to others.

I'm happy because it looks like a reasonable version of Terra Mystica plus market manipulation shenanigans. Oh lord I have no idea what I'm doing in TM.

• Options
        ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
        I'm hyped for my first game of Clans of Caldedonia, which will be solo, but will groom me to teach the game to others.

I'm happy because it looks like a reasonable version of Terra Mystica plus market manipulation shenanigans. Oh lord I have no idea what I'm doing in TM.
        The answer is probably "Badly."
        ;P

• Options
        edited April 2018
        Battle for Rokugan is fast, easy to play, and really gets you on your toes as you start flipping over tokens. My only complaints with it are that the theme doesn't come through very strongly - it's very plain and generic - and the colors of the board/tokens are fairly muted. Buy it for its mechanics, not for the fact it's part of an existing universe.

Dashui on
      • Options
        Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
        Darric wrote: »
        Question about sleeving 7th Continent: As I understand it, there are multiple scenarios in the base box. Assuming I wanted to sleeve everything eventually roughly how many sleeves would I need to buy up front to comfortably sleeve, say the first couple of scenarios?

There is a massive pile of numbered cards and choose-your-own-adventure style you're directed to dig out various numbers. They aren't sorted into scenarios, it's all one giant pile mixed up to keep things hidden and because there's significant overlap. It's kind of an all or nothing deal.

If you just want to sleeve the cards you'll be shuffling and holding in your hand (as opposed to laying out as map or reading once and putting back), then a quick google suggests 100 should cover it.

MhCw7nZ.gif
      • Options

There is a massive pile of numbered cards and choose-your-own-adventure style you're directed to dig out various numbers. They aren't sorted into scenarios, it's all one giant pile mixed up to keep things hidden and because there's significant overlap. It's kind of an all or nothing deal.

If you just want to sleeve the cards you'll be shuffling and holding in your hand (as opposed to laying out as map or reading once and putting back), then a quick google suggests 100 should cover it.

Thanks, I only just realized this after looking at the rules! Blergh. Probably just going to go the 120(ish) action cards route you're implying. Sleeving all the terrain/exploration cards seems like a lot. I reserve the right to change my mind.

• Options
        edited April 2018

Thanks, I only just realized this after looking at the rules! Blergh. Probably just going to go the 120(ish) action cards route you're implying. Sleeving all the terrain/exploration cards seems like a lot. I reserve the right to change my mind.

Check out this FAQ for a really good resource for what to sleeve:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/151466/7th-continent-community-faq

If you want to sleeve all the most handled and shuffled cards, including the exploration deck (135 cards), you'll need around 400 sleeves. That's for the base game without the expansions or stretch goals coming later this year. And all of those will fit in the box. I've sleeved everything the guide recommended (and a few more that I probably didn't need to do, like the save state cards) with my 400 Mayday premiums and I need maybe 20 more sleeves.

Dashui on
      • Options

I went with the 200 option from Kickstarter, too, and almost none of them fit. Welp.

The officially-branded sleeves are premium thickness. I ended up ordering 400 premium sleeves from Mayday, as well. It's true they won't fit in the box if you sleeve them all, but the second box that comes in October is designed to do that. The original box will fit all the sleeved action, exploration, and recommended adventure cards, though (just over 400 cards, so my 200 duds didn't screw me over too much).

How do the standard/penny sleeves feel, azith? The previous set of standard sleeves I bought felt crinkly and loose. I ended up swearing them off since then.

I havent gotten the ones i ordered from mayday yet. just did that monday, but they were already marked as shipped, so should have them soon. the 200 i got with the KS fit, some snugly but did fit. i hear if you report the problem of yours not fitting to the 7th Continent people they will ship you replacements quickly.

• Options

If you want to sleeve all the most handled and shuffled cards, including the exploration deck (135 cards), you'll need around 400 sleeves. That's for the base game without the expansions or stretch goals coming later this year. And all of those will fit in the box. I've sleeved everything the guide recommended (and a few more that I probably didn't need to do, like the save state cards) with my 400 Mayday premiums and I need maybe 20 more sleeves.

135 will probably be the bare minimum to sleeve the action deck and character cards. 200 to get some of the most often used cards like the hunt results and state cards...but thats only the core game. the expansions will need more of course.

• Options
        mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
        Every kickstarter I’ve heard of that had their own custom or branded sleeves has been a cautionary tale.

narwhal wrote:
        Why am I Terran?
        My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
      • Options
        captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
        Man 400 cards is nothing. I've sleeved all of Marvel Legendary.

• Options
        SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular

;P

Terra Mystica is that strange game where every time I play, by the end I can't get over how badly I have fucked myself and I immediately want to play again.

Steam: Spawnbroker
      • Options
        edited April 2018

;P

Terra Mystica is that strange game where every time I play, by the end I can't get over how badly I have fucked myself and I immediately want to play again.

I went through my first solo run of Clans of Caledonia, and it definitely feels like a mix between Terra Mystica's economics and Marco Polo's contracts. The key difference is that all players open with "here's a ton of money, you have one shot to go on a shopping spree!". TM's economy is suffocating in comparison. However, I found contract rewards are not as fun as Marco Polo. In Marco Polo you got Points+Stuff. In Clans of Caledonia, many contracts reward indirect endgame points that are tough anticipate value on, and less Stuff. But that's the luck of the contract draw. Also, Clans does well by stuffing all the contracts in a dice bag.

Reflecting on my first play, money-maker units seem like a trap. I'm going to try making stuff and selling it next time.

Cantido on
      • Options
        VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
        captaink wrote: »
        Man 400 cards is nothing. I've sleeved all of Marvel Legendary.

Yeah. I think my worst is sleeving a draft cube. 730 cards, plus 150 lands. "Yes, I'll have eleven 80-count Eclipse packs please. In whatever color you have that many of (orange)."

My friend double-sleeved his. That took a while, I assure you.

Legendary probably still beats that, though; possibly quite handily depending on how many expansions are included.

• Options
        captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
        edited April 2018
        I have all the expansions. It is not quite 4000 cards.

captaink on
      • Options
        Signups for digi-Sycthe are available now.

https://account.asmodee.net/profile/betatests

• Options
        edited April 2018

Thanks! That's really helpful. I'll probably end up doing that then. It looks like it's closer to 500 (if you do the exploration cards).

Darric on
      • Options
        That 7th continent game looks neat as hell. Once my groups are done with Gloomhaven, I might try and pick that up.

• Options
        That 7th continent game looks neat as hell. Once my groups are done with Gloomhaven, I might try and pick that up.

How much are you willing to pay? :(

• Options

How much are you willing to pay? :(

I'm willing to wait for the next printing or another kickstarter run if this one turns out well. I don't think we'll be done with Gloomhaven any time soon.

• Options
        Ugh...cold headache and runny nose just now starting to wane. Going out on 4 mile bike ride on a 2nd attempt to pick up the only store copy of Blood Rage in the area. Must...get...Blood Rage.

• Options
        I had a ton of Amazon points so I caved and got Rising Sun instead of Blood Rage, because after Sidereal Confluence, I'm leaning more towards more negotiation.

• Options
        Digital Scythe Beta first impressions.

The music...yeesh. It sounds like a rejected Silent Hill soundtrack.

No undo option!!! There's a lot of really not obvious stuff that makes you do a lot of things you don't want to, and you can't undo them even within the same turn. Like I produced then clicked on the resource icon on a hex since I thought that would tell it I wanted that resource, but it actually deselects the resource and you have to click on a hammer to produce. Other unintuitive stuff includes moving resources and workers with mechs. You'd figure you'd just click on the resources or workers after you select the mech, but it's actually a really tiny slider bar in the bottom right.

Where is all the artwork? You get tiny rows of icons instead of the player mats. Factory cards are also just icons with no art. At first I thought they couldn't get the artist's work for the digital version, but the art is there for encounter cards.

They make it really hard to tell what your neighbors have on their mats. You can mouse over a tiny icon to see a dim, black & white view of their mat, but I couldn't tell what was on it. Do they have recruits? Upgrades? All you can tell is their mechs and structures, and that's only because you can see them on the board. You certainly can't tell from looking at their mat.

As far as I can tell, there is no way to see other players' popularity, power, or combat cards. Even when you get into a battle it won't show you how much power and cards they have!

• Options
        edited April 2018
        Digital Scythe Beta first impressions.

The music...yeesh. It sounds like a rejected Silent Hill soundtrack.

No undo option!!! There's a lot of really not obvious stuff that makes you do a lot of things you don't want to, and you can't undo them even within the same turn. Like I produced then clicked on the resource icon on a hex since I thought that would tell it I wanted that resource, but it actually deselects the resource and you have to click on a hammer to produce. Other unintuitive stuff includes moving resources and workers with mechs. You'd figure you'd just click on the resources or workers after you select the mech, but it's actually a really tiny slider bar in the bottom right.

Where is all the artwork? You get tiny rows of icons instead of the player mats. Factory cards are also just icons with no art. At first I thought they couldn't get the artist's work for the digital version, but the art is there for encounter cards.

They make it really hard to tell what your neighbors have on their mats. You can mouse over a tiny icon to see a dim, black & white view of their mat, but I couldn't tell what was on it. Do they have recruits? Upgrades? All you can tell is their mechs and structures, and that's only because you can see them on the board. You certainly can't tell from looking at their mat.

As far as I can tell, there is no way to see other players' popularity, power, or combat cards. Even when you get into a battle it won't show you how much power and cards they have!

Please give them that feedback. I want to want this. I don't get many opportunities to bring Scythe to the table.

EDIT - In retrospect I probably shouldn't have got Rising Sun :P

Cantido on
      • Options
        Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
        Just started playing the Terra mystica expansion fire & ice.... Wow the new races are weird.

PSN: Canadian_llama
      This discussion has been closed.