As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Twilight Imperium 4e - Game 3: Round 6 - Status Phase / Game End

• mindflare77mindflare77 OhioRegistered User regular
    Centauri (Cultural, 1R, 3I) + Gral (Industrial, 1R, 1I, B) at 3-9.

@Zombie Hero for next.

8BFpSWC.png

PSN/Steam: mindflare77
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Place Empty System "International Zone of Mutual Respect and Peaceful Collaboration" into 3-2

@Brody

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Place Empty System "The Danger Zone" in 3-1

@Lykouragh

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    That leaves me with Asteroid Field at 3-10

Are you going to name it?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

Huzzah for completing galaxy building! Now @MrBlarney for rerandomizing folks for picking races/starting locations, yes?

8BFpSWC.png

Brody wrote: Β»

I'm out of Asteroid names! Someone else can have the honor.

• MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Round 0: Race and Location Draft

El Skid: Place the Coorneeq-Resculon system at 3-6.
    mindflare77: Place the Centauri-Gral system at 3-9.
    Zombie Hero: Place empty system "Respect and Peace" at 3-2.
    Brody: Place empty system "Danger Zone" at 3-1.
    Lykouragh: Place an Asteroid Field system at 3-10.

Current Map: Race and Location Draft

For race and starting location selection, the player order is re-shuffled.
    Drafting Order: {1, 6, 3, 2, 4, 5}

Order of Play
    38thDoe
    Lykouragh
    mindflare77
    El Skid
    Zombie Hero
    Brody
    Brody
    Zombie Hero
    El Skid
    mindflare77
    Lykouragh
    38thDoe

On each player's turn, they will draft one of the available items, including one race and one location. If the Speaker Token is drafted, that player will automatically select the last remaining race or location. If the Speaker Token is not drafted, then it will automatically be given to the first player in the draft, 38thDoe.

Available Items
    Sardakk N'orr
    The Emirates of Hacan
    The Ghosts of Creuss
    Federation of Sol
    The Arborec
    Universities of Jol-Nar

Location A
    Location B
    Location C
    Location D
    Location E
    Location F

Speaker Token

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Huzzah for completing galaxy building! Now MrBlarney for rerandomizing folks for picking races/starting locations, yes?
    Indeed!

@38thDoe has the first choice of race, start location, or the Speaker Token.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Are we ok with the map as it is? The disparity between C and F is a lot.

Oh wow, F is even worse than E

Steam
    I would accept community rejiggering, but I also understand if people were intentionally creating strong/weak map points.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    If you cut the map e to b all blanks are on one side. The bottom is almost all planets... I'd be up for trying to balance it out. It would suck to be out of the game before it starts.

38thDoE on steam
    πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Scarcity breeds strength though

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I'm weak and a first time player and I have to choose between the worst start ever and the worst race ever.

38thDoE on steam

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: Β»
    I'm weak and a first time player and I have to choose between the worst start ever and the worst race ever.

Or conversely the best start ever or one of four of the top tier races.

I suppose. I'd be more half full if my four year old hadn't woken me up three hours early in my last day of vacation.

Is getting a top tier race a good trade off for only having three planets? I have never played before so I'm asking?

38thDoE on steam

38thDoe wrote: Β»
    I suppose. I'd be more half full if my four year old hadn't woken me up three hours early in my last day of vacation.

Is getting a top tier race a good trade off for only having three planets? I have never played before so I'm asking?

Probably not given that there's no one great race, four average and one bad in that draw(Even as much as I believe in such things). So the other players do have the advantage of securing a good race and a good position.

The key thing for me is that I wouldn't sweat it - playing a race you find fun is more important and the game will probably self balance to focus conflict against players C and D (which I bet will be super interesting to watch play out)

That said, I'm obviously an outsider and if you guys want a more balanced start then you should ignore me and do that. There's no point you feeling short changed before round 1.

@El Skid to see if they are okay with trying to balance the galaxy or to go ahead.

38thDoE on steam

edited April 2018

I'm out of Asteroid names! Someone else can have the honor.

Never tell me the odds?

Or, slightly more wordy.

Sir, the possibility of successfully navigating an asteroid field is approximately 6 to 5.

Brody on

• PredaPreda Registered User regular
    Wow you managed to build a galaxy even more loopsided than ours in game 4!

@38thDoe a bad starting position in my opinion is much worse than a bad race. Also, in your game, there is really only one race that's worse than the others, and unless someone want to get the bad race, you get to get a great starting position AND the speaker token in excange for the bad race...

• El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    That...turned out to be way more imbalanced than I thought it would be. I kinda figured I'd be working towards imbalance and other people would correct the course a bit, not lean into it to make it even worse! Or maybe it was just players having only shit left at the end and not being able to course correct...

Yeah, I'm fine with a bit of creative rebalancing if we have a consensus.

El Skid on
    What about trading one of those asteroid fields next to F with the double planet system above C?

Steam
    edited April 2018
    Only if we can change the name to rocks float everyone dies.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam

A also has only 3 resources in his pie slice, total, compared to 11 for C and 10 for D.

How do you guys feel about swapping Coorneeq/Resculon->Danger Zone and Arinam/Meer for the asteroids beneath F?

More host interference! Starting from Update 4, here's how I expected the galaxy placement to go:
    mindflare77: Place an Asteroid Field system at 3-11. (No changes. Puts a little pressure on F, but it's already got two good systems facing Mecatol Rex.)
    El Skid: Place the New Albion-Starpoint system at 3-9. (Nobody else could have as premium enough a system to place next to E.)
    38thDoe: Place the Lodor system at 3-3. (No changes. B needs a good resource planet.)
    38thDoe: Place the Tequ'ran-Torkan system at 3-12. (No changes. Not too many planets left, and A is currently a bit weak.)
    El Skid: Place the Coorneeq-Resculon system at 3-1. (Even though A just got additional planets, it still looks like a fairly weak link. So we'll shore it up.)
    mindflare77: Place the Centauri-Gral system at 3-10. (I have the last tile with planets in it, and every other position has two adjacent systems with planets.)
    Zombie Hero: Place empty system "Respect and Peace" at 3-2. (No need for changes, and makes things interesting since it forces two red-bordered systems adjacent to one another.)
    Brody: Place empty system "Danger Zone" at 3-5.
    Lykouragh: Place an Asteroid Field system at 3-6.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    That is a fine rearrangement to me.

Steam
    Putting my spoilered expecations to paper though, it makes B the weakest position on the board. I'd be tempted to put Centauri-Gral in 3-2 instead, which means that F ends up with its original setup: with Abyz-Fria and Saudor pointing towards the center, and flanked by empty or Asteroid Belt systems. Something will need to have compromise. I'll make a decision tonight, if there's a general consensus to follow.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    I'm in the car all day today so I can't visualize what you are all talking about but I trust it won't be as bad as current so I'm okay with changes.

38thDoE on steam

I'm fine with MrBlarney's modifications. It leaves the inner systems as placed, so we all made decisions that will impact gameplay, and it lets an impartial judge tweak the board to make starts a little less lopsided.

Agreed. I'm on travel for work this week and can't easily see most of these. There's going to be some asymmetric starting locations, and that's great (else why bother drafting them), so long as we get closer to balanced. I trust the right and honorable MrBlarney to be a wise arbiter of the galaxy.

8BFpSWC.png

I'm fine with MrBlarney's modifications also, having someone impartial fix it is a good idea.

@El Skid for agreement, then we can go ahead with MrBlarney's adjustments.

8BFpSWC.png

• El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Sounds good!

@MrBlarney for updated map. Then, @38thDoe for first choice. I think.

8BFpSWC.png

Round 0: Galaxy Reconstruction

By player request, the Winnaran Custodians have re-consulted the star maps for a reconstruction of the galaxy. The last nine placements have been revised as follows:

mindflare77: Place an Asteroid Field system at 3-11.
    El Skid: Place the New Albion-Starpoint system at 3-9.
    38thDoe: Place the Lodor system at 3-3.
    38thDoe: Place the Tequ'ran-Torkan system at 3-12.
    El Skid: Place the Coorneeq-Resculon system at 3-1.
    mindflare77: Place the Centauri-Gral system at 3-2.
    Zombie Hero: Place empty system "Respect and Peace" at 3-6.
    Brody: Place empty system "Danger Zone" at 3-5.
    Lykouragh: Place an Asteroid Field system at 3-10.

Current Map: Galaxy Reconstruction

Race and Location Draft will proceed as originally planned, starting with @38thDoe.

Order of Play
    38thDoe
    Lykouragh
    mindflare77
    El Skid
    Zombie Hero
    Brody
    Brody
    Zombie Hero
    El Skid
    mindflare77
    Lykouragh
    38thDoe

Available Items
    Sardakk N'orr
    The Emirates of Hacan
    The Ghosts of Creuss
    Federation of Sol
    The Arborec
    Universities of Jol-Nar

Location A
    Location B
    Location C
    Location D
    Location E
    Location F

Speaker Token

4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited April 2018
    In case folks are curious, I did a quick breakdown on the starting positions (huzzah downtime in the hotel and on the way to the airport!). Let me know if I’ve missed something you’d be interested in seeing broken out here.

zbdhmpo8f0ju.jpeg

A tech specialty is worth half if it’s equidistant from two different home systems. Cultural/Industrial/Hazardous are just the planet types. Extra is anything else of note, namely wormholes: a positive wormhole is the side with a planet, a negative is the tile that is solely the wormhole.

And now, simply for ease of access...
    wfd9dx1ceq5n.jpeg

Again, please let me know if I’ve got something wrong here.

mindflare77 on
    8BFpSWC.png

You misspelled fleet. Also, I'm fairly certain Jol Nar doesn't start with a dread.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    You misspelled fleet. Also, I'm fairly certain Jol Nar doesn't start with a dread.

They do start with a dread.

I'm hyped, guys.

@38thDoe