As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Reunited [Souls] Thread

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    I think Durability only exists to balance the MLGS. By the way, first time I’m doing the jolly cooperation thing in DkS1; where do people place their signs? Bosses or bonfires?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    Yeah, durability acting as an "ammo" counter for certain weapon abilities is cool, and in the context of DS1 where you just have to do a lot of exploring and might not be able to get back to the smith for awhile, I think it could be totally cool early game. You venture far away, your stuff wears down, you have to make use of new things you've scavenged, eventually you make the trip back, you decide which things you really liked, and now you are strong enough to venture forth and make the trip back. Cool.

And then you pass the early game, and durability stops mattering except in those few circumstances, because even if you found new gear, you wouldn't want to really use it because it hasn't been upgraded yet so it'd be a huge step down. Ugh, of sorts. There is the excitement of "oh boy oh boy I can't wait to upgrade this" but it is tempered (hah?) with "ugh I don't really get to have fun with this UNTIL I upgrade this". Given how easy access to the smith in post-DS1, this is less of an issue, but it winds up making durability even less of a factor outside of the fragile/"ammo" weapons.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I think there are creatures or effects that can break your equipment, but I'm not sure they are in DS3. I definately remember some monster causing my equipment to break somehow. but everything repairing itself unless its completely broken at every bonfire makes it much less possible to occur.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Wasn’t there like a yellow puddle in DkS2 that broke your equipment?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Yeah, area with a bunch of basilisks in it. Can't recall name, past fog forest area.

And of course Acid Surge pyromancy. The undead dragon in DS1 had a 360 acid surge iirc, but that may have only been damage?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Yeah, area with a bunch of basilisks in it. Can't recall name, past fog forest area.

And of course Acid Surge pyromancy. The undead dragon in DS1 had a 360 acid surge iirc, but that may have only been damage?

There's more than one. There's one in the big castle that makes up the final zone of the game, and there's also definitely one in this prison-cell like thing that you can fall into in the laboratory of what's-his-face.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    DS Remastered on the Switch has been delayed. Other Consoles are still getting it. probably due to Cartridge production issues.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/8cwqbr/dark_souls_remastered_pushed_back_to_summer_2018/

Guess we will have to wait a month or so more before we start throwing the switch across the room.

azith28 on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Edit - Never mind.
    Edit Edit - I can't read, derp.

Henroid on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    DS Remastered on the Switch has been delayed. Other Consoles are still getting it. probably due to Cartridge production issues.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/8cwqbr/dark_souls_remastered_pushed_back_to_summer_2018/

Guess we will have to wait a month or so more before we start throwing the switch across the room.

@azith28 where you hearing that from? first I've heard of this

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Naphtali wrote: »
    azith28 wrote: »

@azith28 where you hearing that from? first I've heard of this

The official Twitter page:

if you mean the thing about cartridges, It's just a guess.

azith28 on
  • Options
    Yes, I meant the cartridges thing.

• Options
    Do we know if there's gonna be any discount for existing PC Dark Souls owners? I could end up double dipping if it's something like 20$ or less.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Namco initially denied there being a discount, but it was recently revealed that there would be:

From sources I've seen elsewhere, it's 50% off, so $20 for PC players.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I played the Dark Souls board game again last weekend with a couple friends. We had played it before and knew how slow it could be so did the tweak where we get twice as many souls from each encounter.

Six and a half hours later, we almost finished the game!

Ornstein flattened us near-instantly once Smough was dead, and we had to stop then because of a dinner appointment.

I need to look up more speed tweaks for it, it's just unreasonable how much time it needs.

• Options
    Ok, how exactly do you do a Moonlight Greatsword build in DkS2? Is it a magic build? What weapons/gear should I use until I get the MLGS? I'm probably not to late to adjust my build since I've only dunked points in the usual suspects (Vitality, Adaptability, Endurance).

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Finally got started on Dark Souls 3 - on PS4 Pro, since it was considerably cheaper than the Steam version. Every time I get started on one of these, I remember how bad I am at them, in spite of having played and finished Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne. I also felt like a bit of an idiot after spending about an hour trying to find a way to continue beyond Firelink Shrine - is it this dark corner? Is there a corridor I keep missing?

Is the Uchigatana worth using for someone who's decidedly mediocre at the Souls games? My character's a Knight, mainly because I'd heard it's a good build for those like me who git mediocre at best, but it shouldn't be too much work to get my Dex up to 16.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Thirith wrote: »
    Finally got started on Dark Souls 3 - on PS4 Pro, since it was considerably cheaper than the Steam version. Every time I get started on one of these, I remember how bad I am at them, in spite of having played and finished Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne. I also felt like a bit of an idiot after spending about an hour trying to find a way to continue beyond Firelink Shrine - is it this dark corner? Is there a corridor I keep missing?

Is the Uchigatana worth using for someone who's decidedly mediocre at the Souls games? My character's a Knight, mainly because I'd heard it's a good build for those like me who git mediocre at best, but it shouldn't be too much work to get my Dex up to 16.

to continue, go to the center of firelink and stick the melted sword in the bonfire holder. it's right by the firekeeper.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Yup, I did finally figure that one out. (Sorry, that was totally not clear from my post.) If I remember correctly, the setup was fairly similar in Demon's Souls, with a hub from where you teleport to the individual locations, but I just expected that I'd be able to walk from the Shrine to the next area, like in the first Dark Souls. I never even thought that I might have to teleport anywhere.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    My hype senses are tingling. Can't wait to finally play DS1 on my PS4.

Friday can't get here soon enough.

I am prepared for lots of pain and trial and error learning. It will be glorious.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Is the remastered collector's box confirmed not coming to US? I'll probably end up getting the discounted version on Steam because monies, but if the Dark Souls remastered Trilogy "Give FROMSoft all your money" edition is coming then I might wanna hold off a little.

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Remastered is out on Steam today, but it's oddly quiet. Have you all gone hollow?

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Is the remastered collector's box confirmed not coming to US? I'll probably end up getting the discounted version on Steam because monies, but if the Dark Souls remastered Trilogy "Give FROMSoft all your money" edition is coming then I might wanna hold off a little.

As far as I can tell it is Japan only. Technically if you could somehow order one you would be able to pay it since PS4 games are not region locked, but it would be in Japanese.
    IceBurner wrote: »
    Remastered is out on Steam today, but it's oddly quiet. Have you all gone hollow?

I am getting it on PS4 and am much hyped.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Played some of this, Cleric going into sunbro. Did the whole master key shenanigans so I didn't have to fuck with the drake to get my bro on. Encountered a hacker! Got summoned in the parish by a guy that promptly oneshot me with something that broke all my gear, cursed me, and gave me the egg head thing.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    nhi9xawzdizj.jpg

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    OH MAN. I SHOULD DO THAT ONCE I GET THE REMASTER!

Not with black firebombs, of course. I will do it as a man and punch.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    heenato wrote: »
    OH MAN. I SHOULD DO THAT ONCE I GET THE REMASTER!

Not with black firebombs, of course. I will do it as a man and punch.
    Yeah, I always start as a Thief with the Old Witch's Ring, so I had a very long session of punching titanic demon butt.

Edit: This seems new. The bonfire at Firelink is offering me the option to change covenants. While I've only discovered one thus far so it's not useful right now, I certainly don't recall any such option from the original release.

Further edit: Been going through the game backward as I typically do. Picked up the Estoc, Astora's Straight Sword, Winged Spear, Zweihander, Grass Crest Shield, Morning Star, and then finally the Longbow. Went to see Andre, plus unlock the elevators from the Parish. I'm almost set to do anything I want. Just need the Rusted Iron Ring.

IceBurner on
  • Options
    Just got another major swag kill: Fang boar, meet portcullis.
    r94hbrigl5ov.jpg

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Just got another major swag kill: Fang boar, meet portcullis.
    r94hbrigl5ov.jpg

That one's just so good. And I figure 99% of players will never see it. Or even know it can happen.

I've done it once, by accident, and have never duplicated it. It was the hollow on the lever though I think.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    The black knight nearby saw fit to bequeath unto me his sword with his dying breath, after a fatal duel. Nice guy, good sport.

IceBurner on
  • Options
    My copy arrived today. I work tonight so I will not get to really dig in until tomorrow morning. I did start making my character and immediately got stuck on beginning class. I know it does not really matter outside of the first little but of the game but I usually stick with whatever theme I start with. Tempted to recreate my very first playthrough with a bandit parry and riposte build. Decisions decisions.

• Options
    I finally got it! Not once in hundreds of hours of Prepare to Die, but finally just a few minutes ago:
    q72ctkedc9le.jpg

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I'm a little concerned about all the reports of hacking, but I'm definitely interested in playing through this game again. Seeing way more reports in the steam reviews than elsewhere though. If you get "softbanned" or whatever, is that reversible?

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i think for DS2 and 3, how it worked was it would give you a warning and if the offending data was removed you'd avoid the softban

not sure if you could correct actually getting softbanned, so keep regular backups and don't take candy from strangers

HOWEVER

the softban fear is largely hysteria imo

hundreds of hours into DS2 and DS3 on PC and i never encountered a hacker, let alone one who was actually ban griefing

it's an unlikely occurence that blew up because kotaku wrote an article and jim sterling made a video or whatever

• Options
    I decided on a thief start with the black bombs. You get the master key plus those 10 bombs pretty much guarantee I kill the taurus Demon first try.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I started a new run of remastered today. At the first bell, hearing lots of bells constantly which is awesome. It's like playing it for the first time all over again because of how popular it is. Also grave lord messages all the time... First and only real death so far was of course to a jump because pressing B twice to jump is stupid.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Unlike the original version, you can rebind the jump button in your controls. Supposedly the PS4 version has it bound to L3 by default. I recommend that everyone rebind this, first thing.

IceBurner on
  • Options
    Unlike the original version, you can rebind the jump button in your controls. Supposedly the PS4 version has it bound to L3 by default. I recommend that everyone rebind this, first thing.

No it is a O by default but you can indeed rebind it.

• Options
    Hate to double post but I have put about 8 hours into it now and have some thoughts. No big spoilers but just in case anyone is playing for the first time.
    Enemies now respawn once you travel to another sub area. So going from the depths to firelink shrine will cause all of the enemies to reappear in the depths, and yes I mean without warping.

They nerfed the stray Demon finally and it was a pretty big hit. The giant AoE attack is much smaller and has a much more defined edge to it. It feels like an entirely different fight now. To the better in my opinion.

60 fps is so buttery smooth.

Hearing the bells ringing all the time is so neat!

Sunbros remain the best.

The new dedicated servers and improved netcode have improved online play substantially with a barrage of summon signs and no lag for invaders.

The ability to use estus as a summon makes it even easier, but they do dock you half rounded down.

You can change covenants from any bonfire, although I think they kept the bit where you lose any partial progress you have made.

So far I am having such a good time. Can't wait until tonight so I can play some more.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    If I loved DSIII (200+ hours and playthroughs up through something like NG5+) and got bored about 10 hours into DSII, should I grab DS Remastered?

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    If I loved DSIII (200+ hours and playthroughs up through something like NG5+) and got bored about 10 hours into DSII, should I grab DS Remastered?

Depends why you didn't like DSII.

DS1 has the slowest combat of the three of them, but the best interconnected world design. DSIII is pretty linearly laid out though, in DS1 it's much more of an open world feel, and you can't just teleport between all the bonfires all the time.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.