As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Old thread, like the carcass of a cored-out Locust.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I wish this game had the nemesis system. I swear the one game that has it is a game where things die constantly, what a waste.

Mech pilots by comparison die very infrequently, what between the running away, ejecting, or being ransomed off. You could build some epic legacies over time for your adversaries.

That’s the one thing i’ve seen in the game so far that has left me quite disappointed. Streamer was fighting an enemy mech, had destroyed all of its weapons, blown off a side torso. And the mech just kept like, trying to melee ram the streamer. No! Run away, quit the field! If you want the player to buy into mechs being precious in universe the pilots need to treat them as precious.

Besides, it would force an interesting strategic decision of “Do I shoot the crippled enemy that is running away to secure salvage or do I focus on the enemies that can still attack?”

Yeah. The other part of the mechs-are-precious lore that seems a bit lost in the otherwise glorious seeming BATTLETECH reboot is the connection between mech and mechwarrior. In a game like this, of course you are going to put your best gunner in that swanky new Thunderbolt you just rebuilt. She's going to do a ton more damage than in the Spider she started out in.

But I remember early days with the Wolf's Dragoons and Black Widow expansions for the board game, and the early novels like Gray Death Legion, how nearly sacred the connection between mech and mechwarrior was. I'd pore over their recon lances and marvel that the high gunnery duder was allowed to stay in his Stinger when the Assault lance pilot had lower scores. It played nicely into the silver spoon princeling who would show up in a family mech that he or she wasn't really great at using, or the field-tested Duke who led his troops in the family Panther despite better mechs being available because that's what his father and father's father had done.

Being Dispossessed was this huge deal, knights stripped of their horse and arms, wandering the land in shame. Now it's like, "Medusa, I'm going to need you to let Dekker take your Griffin out because he just picked up breaching shot."

Don't get me wrong, I think it's probably better gameplay this way. I am super looking forward to mixing and matching pilots and mechs. But there is that slightly hollow echo from the original 3025 lore.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Mech pilots by comparison die very infrequently, what between the running away, ejecting, or being ransomed off.

They actually just increased the chance of death for your pilots. Chance of death from full injury = 90% - (Guts x 5%). Chance of death by cockpit destruction = 140% - (Guts x 5%). That is, even with 10 points in Guts, you still have a 40% chance to die. You need 9 points in Guts to even get a 5% chance to survive cockpit destruction.

They've also substantially increased the recovery time from injuries. They showed one pilot needing 110 days to recover. Definitely going to need a big roster of pilots now.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Oh, hey. The quick patch fixed the bug with Solaris ranking and upped the refresh from one hour to fifteen minutes.
    Mortious wrote: »
    So Solaris.

I'm thinking my 3xLPL Thunderbolt with STD engines/deadside would probably be my best? It does quite well in QP duels.

Or my 12xERSL Nova. Though that has little range, it puts out a lot of sustained damage once I get there.

Or maybe this is the time for my 4xUAC5 Stupid clan mech that I forget the name of time to shine. I never could get it work in QP, too slow and tall so it gets focused fired.

edit: It's a Night Gyr

edit2: Could I just stuff an Archer full of rockets? There's only 1 guy to kill so ammo isn't a concern.

I wish either of the Thunderbolts were great in Solaris. But think they might be terrible in there compared to a Timber Wolf with SRM6s and ERMLs.

Wonder how well the 3LPL and ML Banshee does in there? Darn you guys, making me try to think of my best solo mechs and thinking of trying out Solaris.

My plan for Solaris was run the 8 SPL Pheonix Hawk 1K. I watched a streamer go undefeated a bit with that build. His closest match was actually against a UAC20 Cicada 3M.

I don't know how fun 1v1 sounds, but I'd love to do some 2v2 at some point, when I have time, so like 2020.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    The thing is that Battletech has that super deep timeline going from the present day to the time of the game but, like, very little of it actually matters.

This isn't a setting with aliens or sci-fi immortality or whatever so knowing the name of the person who piloted the first JumpShip isn't secretly required, because unlike Star Trek, you aren't gonna like time travel and run into him.

Squawk Squawk, Motherfuckers

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    Waiting for the 24th is very very hard. So! What are some good books set in the BattleTech universe? Preferably available on kindle so I can get them quickly. Old or new, it's all good.

XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Bonepart wrote: »
    Waiting for the 24th is very very hard. So! What are some good books set in the BattleTech universe? Preferably available on kindle so I can get them quickly. Old or new, it's all good.

Decision at Thunder Rift by William H. Keith Jr.

Blood of Kerensky is also available as kindle, but IMHO Stackpoles books should be read in order (First the Warrior trilogy, then Blood of Kerensky) and the Warrior trilogy isn't available.

P.S: Some say that Heir to the Dragon is good too, but back then all I wanted from Battletech novels was "Needs mechs", and I heard it featured mostly politics and not a lot of mechs.

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    Bonepart wrote: »

Decision at Thunder Rift by William H. Keith Jr.

Blood of Kerensky is also available as kindle, but IMHO Stackpoles books should be read in order (First the Warrior trilogy, then Blood of Kerensky) and the Warrior trilogy isn't available.

Wow, Decision at Thunder Rift is only $.99! Sold!

I'm going to be 40 this year, but my Uncle was a huge into Battletech and he introduced me to the setting. I remember borrowing some of his books back in highschool.

XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hBpw6plYfc

MechWarrior 5 Destructibility Teaser

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited April 2018
    I'm reading Decision at Thunder Rift right now. It's pretty fun although the RANDOM CAPITALIZATION in the prose is a bit lol. ("A day off? He WISHED!")

Overall, though, the dialogue and characterizations aren't bad at all, and the plot is very strong. It's a very ground-level (often literally) Battletech story, about one guy on one planet, and a cool reminder that each of the thousands of world's in the setting could have their own epic stories.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    i just want one super advanced planet, thats more advanced than IS at its peak, more advance than the clan by far, who have sent scouts out and basically gone "Nope, these people are morons" and isolated themselves via soe kind of KF drive blockers to prevent ships from randomly jumping into their system, and anyone who does somehow manage to get in either are forced to stay or be killed depending on their attitude.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Heir to the Dragon does indeed include mechs, there’s a bit of politics involved (it’s about the rise of Theodore Kurita from disgraced son of the Coordinator to respected general), and it happens against the backdrop of a Davion invasion so he gets involved with some mech on mech combat.

I’d also toss out Wolves on the Border (Wolf’s Dragoons and the beginning of their feud with the Draconis Combine) as an option too.

The Jade Phoenix trilogy isn’t bad if you want a look into Clan society from birth to death and what it’s like for those not in the warrior caste.

Nobody on
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    i just want one super advanced planet, thats more advanced than IS at its peak, more advance than the clan by far, who have sent scouts out and basically gone "Nope, these people are morons" and isolated themselves via soe kind of KF drive blockers to prevent ships from randomly jumping into their system, and anyone who does somehow manage to get in either are forced to stay or be killed depending on their attitude.

Why do you think Talisker fell off the galactic maps during the Second Succession War?

It wasn't just to hide our Class IV distillery.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Nobody wrote: »
    Heir to the Dragon does indeed include mechs, there’s a bit of politics involved (it’s about the rise of Theodore Kurita from disgraced son of the Coordinator to respected general), and it happens against the backdrop of a Davion invasion so he gets involved with some mech on mech combat.

I’d also toss out Wolves on the Border (Wolf’s Dragoons and the beginning of their feud with the Draconis Combine) as an option too.

The Jade Phoenix trilogy isn’t bad if you want a look into Clan society from birth to death and what it’s like for those not in the warrior caste.

I was going to suggest this one...but the combat requires a level of suspension of disbelief that's just a little beyond me at this point (a stock Summoner loadout not being hot garbage? a Timber Wolf that's been stripped down to a single small laser taking out a dozen or so mechs before being overwhelmed? :rotate: )

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »

Why do you think Talisker fell off the galactic maps during the Second Succession War?

Is it a Class 3 or Class 4 distillery? Cyclone's quote in the thread OP says its a Class 3 distillery on Talisker IV. This is important. I need to get this shit straight before it's immortalized on the wayback machine. We don't want people thinking the Oosiks are unorganized or anything. Bad for business.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    I'm.sorely tenpted to do a blind LP of BT

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular

Is it a Class 3 or Class 4 distillery? Cyclone's quote in the thread OP says its a Class 3 distillery on Talisker IV. This is important. I need to get this shit straight before it's immortalized on the wayback machine. We don't want people thinking the Oosiks are unorganized or anything. Bad for business.

Any inconsistencies will be blamed on an unreliable narrator, with an Oosik being more unreliable than most.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Another vote for Wolves On The Border by Robert N. Charrette. It's got a great narrative arc, and is basically peak Wolf's Dragoons lore; we get hints of their (at the time still mysterious) past from the perspective of an IS-native recruit, Natasha being a troublemaking ace, a run-in with the Bounty Hunter, and Jaime being an unassuming bad-ass commander. It also has the best 'samurai too noble for his liege' story I've seen in Battletech.

I'd also like to recommend Illusions of Victory by Loren L. Coleman. It's a Solaris story set during the build-up to the Fed Com Civil War. If you like a story about a city defined by simmering tensions between boroughs slowly yet inexorably going over the edge and collapsing into madness, and the struggles of those both trying to bring an end to it, and those trying to capitalize on it, then you'll probably enjoy this one as much as I did.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Nobody wrote: »

I was going to suggest this one...but the combat requires a level of suspension of disbelief that's just a little beyond me at this point (a stock Summoner loadout not being hot garbage? a Timber Wolf that's been stripped down to a single small laser taking out a dozen or so mechs before being overwhelmed? :rotate: )

Yeah the combat is...woof.

I seem to remember seeing a scenario somewhere for that last fight that involved a lot of LOS blocking smoke and weirdness with the Timber Wolf. Did some Googlng around and apparently they ran it at Gencon 2015 and the Aiden player did better than the book.

• Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    It's depressing how fucking bad I am at this game I've been playing for the past 6 years.

Are you saying this in reference to Solaris? I regularly top 700-1000 dmg in a 12 man pub match, yet I am sitting at about 1.3 KTD on Solaris. I feel as though Solaris is sort of a crap shoot. I've played about 20 matches so far and it seems like boating is king. I've had some success with my MRM100 Mauler, but the LBX2/LBX5 boat with skill spec to compliment is where I dominate. The sad part is, it isn't even what I like to run. Toolbox builds seem useless, except when you occasionally need them. The matches where I get wrecked are against ballistic boats. Maybe it is just me.

I need to play around with it some more, I have yet to try anything besides Div 1.

bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    OctavianOctavian Registered User regular
    I have been eagerly awaiting Battletech for so long (probably since I finished MechCommander 2), only for my PC to suddenly stop turning on (It powers on for a second and then off, and keeps doing that). It's either my MB or my PSU. I am having replacements sent in as fast as possible, but man I can't help but be bummed about the whole situation. I will be emergency patching up my rig like its my dad's ancient Mech have to get ready for merc contract next week. Wish me luck.

And damn, it was almost impossible to find a new motherboard in stock that works with my CPU (Haswell new 3 years ago). I had to lose a lot of MB functionality just to get something this week. I don't remember chipsets becoming obsolete this fast. It is insane to think of keeping mechs working for decade. I feel like it would be impossible to keep the electronics working.

PSN: TitusPullo13
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Forbe! wrote: »
    It's depressing how fucking bad I am at this game I've been playing for the past 6 years.

Are you saying this in reference to Solaris? I regularly top 700-1000 dmg in a 12 man pub match, yet I am sitting at about 1.3 KTD on Solaris. I feel as though Solaris is sort of a crap shoot. I've played about 20 matches so far and it seems like boating is king. I've had some success with my MRM100 Mauler, but the LBX2/LBX5 boat with skill spec to compliment is where I dominate. The sad part is, it isn't even what I like to run. Toolbox builds seem useless, except when you occasionally need them. The matches where I get wrecked are against ballistic boats. Maybe it is just me.

I need to play around with it some more, I have yet to try anything besides Div 1.

See my problem and the reason I’m not even going to try is that my favorite mech is a 3hppc 3 Mlas awesome which is not super great for dueling . In fact I would say it’s downright horrible in this game but I do just fine in qp. In fact I’m amazed how I get in better mechs and don’t have as much fun as my awesome .

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular

Class 3 on paper for tax reasons.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »

Wait we pay tax?Who the hell do we pay it to?! Someone ask nips how paperwork actually works!

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular

Wait we pay tax?Who the hell do we pay it to?! Someone ask nips how paperwork actually works!

Listen, I've got some things you guys should probably know.

Since me and my predecessors have been working the books for *checks date* the last two-hundred years, we may have been skimming off the top for "improvements". That distillery may have been Class 3 during the Second Succession War, but sure as hell has received some tender lovin' care since then. Hell, a third of our costs are covered by pirate-jump-point whiskey shipments out to the nearby systems.

Also, we've got an in with the planetary governors, who were much obliged to reassess our tax burdens after we downed the HPG back in the War. We pay them in booze, and they don't complain and invoke the "We stomp all your shit into the dirt with our 'Mechs" clause of our mercenary "contract" on Talisker.

Paperwork.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Can't have a Mechwarrior thread without this, ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCmrp38KjYg

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    God that just jacks right into my childhood nostalgia.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/UfR6w0ljrFE

Speaking of fun nostalgia.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Is Mechwarrior Online still a thing / gets a lot of play by people (I don't necessarily mean on here)? I never had a chance to try it really. I technically tried a couple years ago but it was before I upgraded my PC to actually be able to handle it, gave up during tutorial stuffs.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Is Mechwarrior Online still a thing / gets a lot of play by people (I don't necessarily mean on here)? I never had a chance to try it really. I technically tried a couple years ago but it was before I upgraded my PC to actually be able to handle it, gave up during tutorial stuffs.

Yup, not sure what the population is, but game queue is still healthy.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular

Speaking of Duncan Fisher:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pcZjNC0ypk

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/vZWxgLQZano

To any receiving unit, I have contact with main enemy force inside central courtyard... I'll delay them here as long as I can.

• Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular

According to steamcharts, there are about 1000 players on average, currently there are 2000, more than likely because of the Solaris 7 release; which is a major gameplay add on which includes ranked 1v1 and 2v2 play. Match wait times are low. Give it a shot.

bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »

Speaking of Duncan Fisher:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pcZjNC0ypk
    haha jesus the bird mech is a Photoshop I made years ago. Fun times.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

According to steamcharts, there are about 1000 players on average, currently there are 2000, more than likely because of the Solaris 7 release; which is a major gameplay add on which includes ranked 1v1 and 2v2 play. Match wait times are low. Give it a shot.

And bear in mind that not everybody launches/downloaded the game via Steam...so the actual number of active players at any given time might be considerably higher.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    The thing is that Battletech has that super deep timeline going from the present day to the time of the game but, like, very little of it actually matters.

This isn't a setting with aliens or sci-fi immortality or whatever so knowing the name of the person who piloted the first JumpShip isn't secretly required, because unlike Star Trek, you aren't gonna like time travel and run into him. The fact that the first mech was called the Mackie and developed in 24whatever is cute but not really important, you're not going to ever find or pilot one. Stefan Amaris is not going to return from the dead as an immortal, conquering lich.

That stuff is fun to know about but even in a really story-heavy Battletech experience like a roleplaying game, it's probably not going to influence your character very much, any more than knowing who Eleanor of Aquitaine was influences my day-to-day decision-making very much.

If you want a really balls-deep 3025 Battletech experience you probably need to know about, in order from most important to least

- the mechs themselves, their strengths & weaknesses, weapons, tactics, etc
    - the Successor States and the Great Houses and the differences between them (which one is space commies, which one is space ninjas, etc)
    - how space travel and FTL work, JumpShips vs DropShips, and other like, infrastructure of the setting things
    - the Star League and the Camerons
    - mercenaries, what they do, and the names and personalities of the major merc outfits
    - Comstar
    - Solaris
    - the Periphery states
    - Kerensky I guess, maybe, if your dude is a nerd

I will agree that a lot of shit needs to be thrown out and a Battletech 2.0 with a more streamline and cogent story and setting be manufactured.

But we dont need to get rid of the fluff, the fluff is nice. I want to know that the Jagermech was made as a direct result of heat and other difficulties in the Rifleman, i want to know the Mackie rolled off the line 2439, wielding an honestly laughable armament for an assault, i want to know old technologies were inefficient and larger, i want to know the pseudoscience behind the Kearny-Fuchida Drive and attempts to expand its usability like with giant lithium ion battery banks.

It just need to be fluff, and not be made into a masturbatory focus.

I DO, however, wish the setting was more dynamic than "And then they bombed themselves to oblivion and technology went into unchanging/unadvancing stasis until the helm memory core and clans" because thats bullshit. People'd be rediscovering shit left and right, people'd be discovering new things in that amount of time.

nothing fucking irks me more than technological stasis for no reason, and its a fucking plot device thats used in way to god damn many stories.

I'm almost through the Sarna history, and I completely agree with this. In particular, Comstar seems really dumb as a concept. I don't mind some mega company controls most of the communication systems, but the idea that nobody outside of Comstar could figure out how HPG's worked worked in over 500 years to the point entire wars were lost, seems laughable.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

And bear in mind that not everybody launches/downloaded the game via Steam...so the actual number of active players at any given time might be considerably higher.

I'm still an oldie holdout who uses the PGI launcher.

Although I did download it through Steam a few times to unlock achievements there.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    I think Comstar was lifted pretty much straight from one of the early chapters of Asimov's Foundation (i.e., the original book). A small, technologically advanced faction plays its aggressive larger neighbors against one another and makes itself indispensable as the sole source of advanced tech, while covering it all with religious trappings to instill awe and worship in the populace at large. Comstar's not based on the Adeptus Mechanicus, A Canticle for Leibowitz or anything else that just has technology in the hands of a priesthood, it's that chapter from Foundation lifted lock, stock and barrel.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Bear in mind, Comstar actively engaged in a massive conspiracy to sabotage and/or assassinate anyone who was working on recovering knowledge of advanced technology. When you have a monopoly on interstellar communications it would be pretty easy to track stuff like that down, one would assume. This started back in the early 2800's, so only ~60 years after the fall of the Star league began, and closer to 20-30 after significant tech loss had occurred.

Whether or not that breaks suspension of disbelief for you is a more subjective matter, but they did try to explain why the people of the Successor States couldn't figure this stuff out for so long.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Even then, I believe the Federated Suns under Hans Davion came pretty close to unlocking HPG communications with their own slower version combined with Jumpship relays.

They did all of that once they decided to snub Comstar, and within a generation, as prior to that most great houses saw no reason to reinvent the wheel when they could rent it from Comstar, and focus their resources on military hardware and manufacturing.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
This discussion has been closed.