As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] The FAQ has arrived

• novaspikenovaspike Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    I honestly haven't played much Ynnari since their nerfs started, but is this really the case with the current version of Strength from Death? If nothing else, I'd worry that one cheap unit getting a bonus action of each type per turn would be much, much weaker than getting Power from Pain and an Obsession on all of them.

I've been reading a lot of the blogs of the big 40k tourny players and thinking hard about how I'm going to rebuild my Ynnari (Kingdomcon is this weekend, locked in pre-Drukhari and Spring FAQ). Even from the index days, it's been doable to play without PfP (maybe even more so now, wyches are one of my favorite units and they FINALLY have an all the time save). The obsessions, less so, but dependant. Cursed blade is great for wych cults, but if that were my only option, I'd be ok going Ynnari instead. Red grief though, that's worth having a pure detachment for. I guess it comes down to replication; shining spears have crazy threat ranges even in ynnari because you can still use quicken and the saim hain strat on them. Reavers, in the capacity of advancing over the front lines (and doing some flyby mortal wounds), shooting something juicy, then charging backline tanks (to do more mortal wounds AND potentially stop their shooting for a round), really need to be red grief since they can't do the above otherwise.

When looking at SfD, I have a more melee stant to it (getting 2 chances to charge, or two fights is huge for movement alone), but I want several units that can potentially benefit. That way the counterplay is harder for the opponent. I like the redundancy and flexibility. Plus I typically run the Yncarne, so I need bodies to keep from getting shot, and to make the most use of fearless, 6+++ aura, and the healing. Overall it shifts my SfD thinking into any phase use rather then only psychic phase use. That being said, I'm not crazy on any of the craftworld attributes too, so I may go nuts and try something like a big footslog wraithguard blob with Yvraine to compliment my other shenanigans.

• McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    Canada... The land of inflated prices

I buy most things from the US and have them shipped to my PO box across the border in WA. Ebay.ca has a few things with better prices, but inevitably the shipping is as much as the product costs.

I'm in Canada too, so I feel ya. Shipping from those ebay stores is usually 20$-25$. Also, whenever the option is available from ebay stores, check the "request total from seller" button when paying. Some stores don't calculate the total, but just add a flat shipping to each item. So if you buy 50 items with $2.00 shipping each, the total will be grossly inflated.

website_header.jpg
  • Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    I tell you about crazy shipping charges; last time I looked at Warsenal (to the UK), shipping effectively doubled my order cost (it was about £40). I wasn’t even ordering terrain, just some of their Infinity camo tokens.

Antenocitis Workshop do some neat stuff and I don’t think the shipping is that bad (the mat they do has started to grow on me).

Plastcraft do some cool pre-painted stuff. The Borouk range looks like it would be perfect for a desert town (seems it would be good for the Star Wars mini game). They do some Gothic stuff but it seems to be a bit more expensive than their other bits of terrain.

PSN Fleety2009
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    I've got a hobby room, but a small desk that I paint on, and I'd like to manage the space a bit better. Any recommendations for paint organizers?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I got a $10 nail polish organizer off amazon that holds a ton of paints. There’s some nice vertical stacking MDF stuff, but a lot of it is sized for specific width paint bottles.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    I just use a shoe box lid, paints arranged in rows, mostly GW with a handful of vallejo and tamiya.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I've got a hobby room, but a small desk that I paint on, and I'd like to manage the space a bit better. Any recommendations for paint organizers?

Depends on how many paint bottles you're trying to organize. I found that the multi tier 80 bottle carousel suited my needs best, and then there are things like this mdf rack and shelf, or if your paint collection isn't that out of control (yet :biggrin: ) something like an acrylic nail polish organizer works pretty well, and it quite cheap too.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I have a pair of these side by side:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LY6ESHZ

They were quite a bit cheaper when I bought mine, but they are decent quality. Took a little sanding to get together but no glue required. They fit citadel bottles perfectly plus the brush storage is nice.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    So bored and playing with mathhammer this morning. https://www.mathhammer8thed.com/

And man I just feel terrible for autocannons right now. I was curious what they would do verse a rhino verse missile launchers, lascannons, and a plasma havoc squad. The last having the same cost just require you to be in 12" which isn't that hard for my army a lot of the time.

8 AC shots with no rerolls or buffs, ~2.6 wounds to a rhino. With reroll 1s 3.11 wounds. Add in veterans of the long war 4 wounds. Not looking great here.

4 Lascannon shots no rerolls or buffs 5 wounds to a rhino. With reroll 1s 6 wounds. With votlw and rerolls 7.5 wounds. Still not a dead rhino on average but way better.

10 plasma shots (5 man havoc squad) no rerolls 7.4 wounds. Rerolling misses 8.6 wounds. With votlw 10.5 wounds and a dead rhino.

Now the last one does require you to be in 12" but that is 135 point unit with 1 cp and a lord which you would do for plasma anyway. Poor autocannons, you are just so terrible.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Only good autocannons are predator autocannons, primarily because killshot +storm of fire is so good, and 3 flat (4 with KS) damage is bonkers.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
    Only good autocannons are predator autocannons, primarily because killshot +storm of fire is so good, and 3 flat (4 with KS) damage is bonkers.

Killshot kind of got nerfed only targets vehicles/monsters/titanic now.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    That's what it always was for SM, other codices were just getting fixed.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    And it was always really good for SM. Still is. I'm running a spearhead with three predators with Chronus as the HQ specifically for kill shot. I'm using twin linked lascannons though, not AC's.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Woe to the Necron Monolith. Not a great unit, ton of points, and tagged with Titanic so it has weaknesses.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    So I have been trying to do some list building with the new meta. The first turn deep strike dying means Alpha Legion has gotten much better as most units will not be in 12" on turn 1 and you get a turn or more with your -1 to hit infantry. Top it off I never really did the soup detachments but I feel Chaos soup is still really good. Especially small Tsons detachments to help supplement larger CSM forces or daemons. The Tsons +6" range is fantastic. Their DPs are amazing. And Ahriman is the best caster for his points in the game with 3 spells and a +1 to cast that can hide. Top it off the glut of CPs (this list has the equivalent of an additional battalion+spearhead verse where it was a week ago) helps a lot of cp eating units to be good. Plus I felt even at the drop of the Tsons codex their daemon engines would be good. Giving +1 invuln and -1 to hit to maulerfiends/defilers/heldrakes is huge for keeping them on the board and the casting range helps keep the sorc safe.

So this was my thought. I am enjoying my possessed recently and have had them do some good work plus its a project. That can easily be dropped for a more competitive unit if you want or more noise marines and a Tsons DP.
    ++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [44 PL, 733pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Legion: Alpha Legion

+ HQ +

Dark Apostle [5 PL, 76pts]: Bolt pistol, Mark of Slaanesh, Power maul

Exalted Champion [5 PL, 82pts]: Mark of Slaanesh, Plasma pistol, Power axe

+ Troops +

Chaos Cultists [3 PL, 40pts]: 9x Chaos Cultist w/ Autogun, No Chaos Mark
    . Cultist Champion: Autogun

+ Elites +

Possessed [11 PL, 186pts]: Icon of Excess, Mark of Slaanesh, 8x Possessed

+ Heavy Support +

Obliterators [10 PL, 195pts]: Mark of Slaanesh, 3x Obliterator

+ Dedicated Transport +

Chaos Rhino [4 PL, 74pts]: Combi-bolter, Combi-bolter, No Chaos Mark

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [38 PL, 664pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Gifts of Chaos (1 Relic)

Legion: Alpha Legion

+ HQ +

Chaos Lord [5 PL, 74pts]: Blade of the Hydra, Bolt pistol, Chainsword, Mark of Slaanesh

Sorcerer [6 PL, 98pts]: Bolt pistol, Death Hex, Delightful Agonies, Force sword, Mark of Slaanesh

+ Troops +

Chaos Space Marines [5 PL, 90pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
    . Aspiring Champion: Bolt pistol, Boltgun
    . 3x Marine w/ Boltgun
    . Marine w/ heavy weapon: Lascannon

Chaos Space Marines [5 PL, 90pts]: No Chaos Mark
    . 3x Marine w/ Boltgun
    . Marine w/ heavy weapon: Missile launcher

Chaos Space Marines [5 PL, 90pts]: No Chaos Mark
    . 3x Marine w/ Boltgun
    . Marine w/ heavy weapon: Missile launcher

+ Elites +

Noise Marines [6 PL, 111pts]
    . Marine w/ Blastmaster: Blastmaster
    . 3x Marine w/ Sonic blaster: 3x Sonic Blaster
    . Noise Champion: Bolt pistol, Sonic blaster

Noise Marines [6 PL, 111pts]
    . Marine w/ Blastmaster: Blastmaster
    . 3x Marine w/ Sonic blaster: 3x Sonic Blaster
    . Noise Champion: Bolt pistol, Sonic blaster

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Chaos - Thousand Sons) [36 PL, 602pts] ++

+ HQ +

Ahriman [7 PL, 131pts]: Glamour of Tzeentch, Temporal Manipulation, Weaver of Fates

+ Heavy Support +

Defiler [11 PL, 167pts]: Defiler scourge, Reaper autocannon

Maulerfiend [9 PL, 152pts]: Lasher tendrils

Maulerfiend [9 PL, 152pts]: Lasher tendrils

++ Total: [118 PL, 1999pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

u7stthr17eud.png
    Seems good and very flexible, Mazzyx. The Rhino, Maulerfiends and Defilers are the only big targets for opponents to shoot, though, so depending on what you face it might be vulnerable. I have never used Maulerfiends or Defilers, though, so you know how well they survive better than I do.

No warptime to get the 'fiends up the board?

My own question for the masses. "Da Jump", Ork Psyker power, moves a unit across the board basically. Is that subject to the new Battle Brothers rule?

Same with the Veil of Darkness for Necron. Can I still transport people turn one?

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Eleysians are getting the 'last chance to buy' treatment on Forgeworld. Rather a bummer as I like the idea of drop troops. I can't imagine what'd it actually cost to build up even a small army of them though. My kidney isn't worth that much.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Seems good and very flexible, Mazzyx. The Rhino, Maulerfiends and Defilers are the only big targets for opponents to shoot, though, so depending on what you face it might be vulnerable. I have never used Maulerfiends or Defilers, though, so you know how well they survive better than I do.

My own question for the masses. "Da Jump", Ork Psyker power, moves a unit across the board basically. Is that subject to the new Battle Brothers rule?

Same with the Veil of Darkness for Necron. Can I still transport people turn one?

Warptime can be put Ahriman, its 3"/9" cast range makes it harder to get off on maulerfiends as they are pretty fast. I find they make amazing distraction carnifexes for 152 points that do a good amount of damage if they get in combat. Usually I am running them as Emperor's Children so I do not have any protection psyker spells but they usually absorb a lot of damage. It takes 10 lascannon shots at 3+ BS with rerolls of 1 to kill maulerfiend on average with their normal 3+/5++ save. If you have the 4++ it is about 13 shots. And about 11 shots if you have the -1 on there. Defilers have 2 more hp. And they do regen 1 a turn. So they do absorb an unreasonable amount of firepower before dying but they do degrade.

Also last I read "Da Jump", "Gate of Infinity" and similar abilities do get affected by the rule as they "put things in the reserve" before they redeploy.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Autocannons get a lot better when all of your targets are 4++

This was a popular question on the 40k Facebook page and it still wasnt really answered completely. All they confirmed was that the powers could be used but not if it was limited by deployment zone

Yeah, after re-reading at least Da Jump, feels like it is subject to the rule. Interesting.

The other thing I think I might steal from Nick Nanavanti instead of my spearhead is a supreme command with 2 Tson DPs and Ahriman. Its comes to 491 points for 7 psyker spells including gaze of fate. And all three are characters and get to hide from shooting. Its a nice way to grab a CP plus also gain a ton of utility and some beat sticks. Probably one of the best additions to an army you could make.

u7stthr17eud.png
    There's an unfortunate FAQ regarding all those abilities that let you shoot at a unit when it comes out of deep strike (Auspex Scan, etc.) where the question is "do these powers that deep strike models already on the board qualify?" and the answer was "Yes, they all count as deep strike"

So both a strict reading of the rules and that precedent condemn all of these abilities, including my beloved Interceptor shunts and Gate of Infinity.

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    What does the double-plus mean on these saves? Re-rolling ones?

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
    Invulnerable Saves.

So I'm down to the Deceiver for surprise move and F you up on turn one, then, for my Necrons....and the Monolith is even worse.

Monolith needs quantum shielding, please support my petition, k thx.

GR_Zombie wrote: »
    What does the double-plus mean on these saves? Re-rolling ones?

Its an old format.

3+ this is your normal save that can be adjusted by AP.
    3++ is your invuln save. AP doesn't change it but it can be removed by other abilities.
    3+++ is feel no pain or the equivalent (disgustingly resilient for example). This is taken after all your saves are made or failed. Usually you cannot alter the save up or done on most models. Is taken for each wound instead of the attack as a whole.

I always figured it was a + for each step you take to look at what the save is.

u7stthr17eud.png
    And you can't stack the +++'s anymore, which I felt was interesting.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    It’s a good call.

Things need to die on the table. Things not dying makes the game move more slowly.

GK, Orks and Necrons just got a small buff

So GW on their facebook page just released a list of those excepted from the deep strike beta rule.

Orks' "Da Jump", C'tan Shard of the Deceiver, GSC, and interceptor squads are immune. Gate of Infinity is unaffected in my mind if da jump is also able to be used.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Personally I feel like things die too quickly atm, especially things that are supposed to be durable.

What I feel slows down play a lot is things like "OK I have a ridiculous number of Mortars, first I roll many dice to see how many shots I have, then I reroll those dice because I'm Catachan, then I roll all these unwieldy dice to hit, then I reroll 1's because Harker, then I roll to wound, then I reroll to wound because of "Bring it down!" and finally force you to roll an equal number of saves."

8th made everything faster but then also made hordes stupidly strong, counting and rolling double fistfuls of dice for every unit, not to mention moving them, eats up a lot of time. It certainly isn't the double FNP rolls.

Lanlaorn wrote: »
    Personally I feel like things die too quickly atm, especially things that are supposed to be durable.

What I feel slows down play a lot is things like "OK I have a ridiculous number of Mortars, first I roll many dice to see how many shots I have, then I reroll those dice because I'm Catachan, then I roll all these unwieldy dice to hit, then I reroll 1's because Harker, then I roll to wound, then I reroll to wound because of "Bring it down!" and finally force you to roll an equal number of saves."

8th made everything faster but then also made hordes stupidly strong, counting and rolling double fistfuls of dice for every unit, not to mention moving them, eats up a lot of time. It certainly isn't the double FNP rolls.

The rule of 3 will help this a shit load.

Instead of 21 mortar teams it is 9 max.

Instead of 8 stormravens or valks or whatever it is 3.

Killing spam helps this part of the game a lot.

u7stthr17eud.png
    I’d also be happy to see re-rolling gone from the game too. Multiple things can slow the game down.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

So GW on their facebook page just released a list of those excepted from the deep strike beta rule.

Orks' "Da Jump", C'tan Shard of the Deceiver, GSC, and interceptor squads are immune. Gate of Infinity is unaffected in my mind if da jump is also able to be used.

I'm honestly now completely confused by the distinction between reinforcements, tactical reserves and abilities which remove units from the game and then allow you to set them up again.

It basically seems to boil down "they count as reinforcements when we say they do, otherwise they don't, fuck logic". I'm glad that they've clarified this because Grey Knights at least really need the help, but it's still a pretty odd ruling.

Inquisitor wrote: »
    I’d also be happy to see re-rolling gone from the game too. Multiple things can slow the game down.

I disagree. I like it. It adds a layer of abilities that have been missing from 40k and makes HQs have more of a purpose than a tax or a beat stick.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Lanlaorn wrote: »

The rule of 3 will help this a shit load.

Instead of 21 mortar teams it is 9 max.

Instead of 8 stormravens or valks or whatever it is 3.

Killing spam helps this part of the game a lot.

I hope you're right but I'm pessimistic because troops are still unlimited, now give even more CP and the basic Infantry Squads, etc. also take forever to do anything.

It just always seemed pretty clear that with regards to time per turn, All-Dreadnought-Army guy with his 10 models on the table was never the problem compared to Fluffy-IG-Army guy who has to seriously worry about how to fit all his models in the deployment zone.

Burnage wrote: »

I'm honestly now completely confused by the distinction between reinforcements, tactical reserves and abilities which remove units from the game and then allow you to set them up again.

It basically seems to boil down "they count as reinforcements when we say they do, otherwise they don't, fuck logic". I'm glad that they've clarified this because Grey Knights at least really need the help, but it's still a pretty odd ruling.

In the comments for that Facebook message they're really laying into them for this exact reason. Apparently someone had asked this in the original announcement and they even replied at that time saying "nope, all those count as deep strike" - now to do a complete 180 reversal.

They just need to stop pretending that they're clarifying the rules as written with these "FAQs" and just admit they're outright changing the rules. Just say, "Yes, originally this would impact all those abilities and we completely overlooked that because we completely forgot about Monoliths, Da Jump, etc. so we are making an exception for them."

edited April 2018
    Per the wording on that, that also means the Relics that teleport also still work. Yay Necrons and Thousand Sons!

Bizazedo on

Yea to be clear, I don't think rerolling is the problem so much as how many dice are involved, when you physically can't roll all of your dice in one go, then hunting and seeking for ones and sometimes sixes amidst that huge spread of dice...

If we can make it harder for hordes of guys to get rerolls without affecting the normal armies I'd be all for it, but IMHO it's the hordes of guys that are the problem, not the rerolls.

I disagree. I like it. It adds a layer of abilities that have been missing from 40k and makes HQs have more of a purpose than a tax or a beat stick.

I’d rather take flat things like +1 to hit or +1 attack for aura buffs.

• No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    So I'm down to the Deceiver for surprise move and F you up on turn one, then, for my Necrons....and the Monolith is even worse.

Monolith needs quantum shielding, please support my petition, k thx.

Um, what?

It's toughness 8, has 20 wounds and heals 1 every turn or d3 via a Stratagem and/ or a Cryptek with the Canoptek Cloak.

As for damage, I'm not having any problems. *shrug*

This discussion has been closed.