As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Science] A thread of good guesses, bad guesses and telling the difference.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    McFodder wrote: »
    Yeah, it strikes me as taking a long exposure of a beam of light and calling it a picture of a lighthouse?

Still very cool though.

So, like all the stars you see at night?

We see nothing. Only emitted and reflected light. All is illusion.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Talking of stars, has anyone changed the odds on Betelgeuse going boom any time soon? Like recent observations of output fluctuations etc.?

Estimates are between 100,000 and 1,000,000 years. It's also too far away to pose any danger to Earth.

Is it close enough to look super cool though?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Do supernova have coinciding Neutrino emission changes, and if so, would we get a warning before the light reached us?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Talking of stars, has anyone changed the odds on Betelgeuse going boom any time soon? Like recent observations of output fluctuations etc.?

Estimates are between 100,000 and 1,000,000 years. It's also too far away to pose any danger to Earth.

The crab nebula was formed by a supernova estimated at -6 visual magnitude and recorded across the world. But that was 10x further away than Betelgeuse so we can expect this would be about -11 magnitude or about a quarter as bright as a full moon is
    If you were standing on one of the furthest dwarf planets in the solar system we know of (Sedna) it would rival the sun in brightness

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »

The crab nebula was formed by a supernova estimated at -6 visual magnitude and recorded across the world. But that was 10x further away than Betelgeuse so we can expect this would be about -11 magnitude or about a quarter as bright as a full moon is
    If you were standing on one of the furthest dwarf planets in the solar system we know of (Sedna) it would rival the sun in brightness

Who's down for capital investment on my new destination vacation company?

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

Yes! It might get bright enough for a month or two to be visible during the day.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    One day, this thing is going to figure out the prime impediment is the continued existence of the meat sack with the stick:

https://youtu.be/aFuA50H9uek

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Was expecting a flying kick from off screen right as it was going through the door at the end.

• Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    Was expecting it to lunge at him with the gripper and hiss.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    I note that the robot dog's leash did not seem to be particularly effective in controlling it.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    I note that the robot dog's leash did not seem to be particularly effective in controlling it.

So just like a real dog then.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    remember that prosthetic arm I linked a while ago? Well, one of the many vids I linked a while ago? The MPL arm from Johns Hopkins University.

Well, their guinea pig, Johnny Matheny, gets to test drive, use and abuse it however he wants for the entirety of 2018.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKUn0-Bhb7U

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    I just went and watched an older interview with the woman who had the sensory nerves re-intervated, and holy shit thats amazing. This is literally the future guys.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Moved to appropriate thread.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Goddamn he really hung in there a long time. I was starting to think he would live forever. The world was lucky to have him for so long.

A Brief History of Time is an excellent book. I highly recommend if you've not yet read it. Seems a good time to give it a read.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Goddamn he really hung in there a long time. I was starting to think he would live forever. The world was lucky to have him for so long.

A Brief History of Time is an excellent book. I highly recommend if you've not yet read it. Seems a good time to give it a read.

Even though it was written in 1988, the science has healed up fantastically. A lot of the more theoretical topics he covers have been experimentally confirmed over the last decades.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/frobt.2018.00020/full

The NARS team has released a new article about The System. My name isn't on this one but it's a culmination of our recent work on NAL9, the part of the system designed to deal with weird concepts like "SELF" and meta cognition events and such.

It's also a good overall introduction to NARS in general. If you have any interest in machine learning/artificial intelligence I suggest you give it a read.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Trace wrote: »

The NARS team has released a new article about The System. My name isn't on this one but it's a culmination of our recent work on NAL9, the part of the system designed to deal with weird concepts like "SELF" and meta cognition events and such.

It's also a good overall introduction to NARS in general. If you have any interest in machine learning/artificial intelligence I suggest you give it a read.

:/
    This doesn't seem to be complete; Is there a full look at the NARS operations somewhere?
    I suspect that internal operations such as input rejection are likely in the model but not described here for brevity.

Also is the software publicly available, and what does it run on?

discrider on
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »

This doesn't seem to be complete; Is there a full look at the NARS operations somewhere?
    I suspect that internal operations such as input rejection are likely in the model but not described here for brevity.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/open-nars/KguRnpRAHn0

Download at the bottom.

https://github.com/opennars/opennars/wiki/Input-Output-Format

and there's an input output cheat sheet for you.

Have fun.

• Options
    Weird question, but has anyone ever considered crowd funding research? Like a Kickstarter to produce a paper + data sets available to the public or something?

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Weird question, but has anyone ever considered crowd funding research? Like a Kickstarter to produce a paper + data sets available to the public or something?

i know some astronomy stuff has been done like that

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    er not funding but like crowdsourced research

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Yeah, it's Experiment.com. Scientists and students submit research proposals that need funding and people can make pledges to support it. The site is run and moderated by scientists, so they filter out any obvious BS and only post proposals that have some planning and breakdown of funding behind them.

It's like Kickstarter in that if it's not fully funded the pledges are not collected, but unlike Kickstarter in that you're mostly doing it for good feelings of supporting science and not because you're eventually going to get a minimalist wallet or something. Most of the people though will keep you updated on their projects and send links to papers if/when they're published (usually give a thanks to people in the papers too). It's pretty neat stuff, like one study to see how many beavers are eaten by wolves, which had a lot of relevant data but also updates with tidbits like how when the blueberries get ripe and are plentiful, wolves mostly switch to eating berries for a couple weeks (with pictures of beautiful vistas, blueberry bushes, and berry-filled wolf scat). I like to sign on when I have spare cash and make pledges to things that interest me.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/open-nars/KguRnpRAHn0

Download at the bottom.

https://github.com/opennars/opennars/wiki/Input-Output-Format

and there's an input output cheat sheet for you.

Have fun.

So, how does this system handle creativity?
    Can it generate its own questions to handle new cases?

I would expect the main question that needs generating is 'new thing --> old thing?' which would then do questions on whether new thing has the intension/properties of old thing, even when there is a minimal or no shared evidence base between the two elements, and thus no direct inference chain connecting the two.
    .. I guess such a question would be generated from 'new thing --> ?'
    ... Which itself might just be triggered directly from sense input (when a new NARS token is observed, or perhaps it is always asked when a token is observed, and object permanence occurs later as a concept).

• Options
    It can generate its own questions and there have been some examples of novel behavior in certain experiments.

http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=nars

Hop into the IRC and question some of the other guys. They're better at explaining than I am in like, 90% of the cases.

• Options
    Speaking of experiment.com, Science (the journal) just published a study about the effectiveness of scientific crowdfunding, basically just analyzing all the projects from the site. Nothing big, just thought it was timely.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    ‪Remember the BBC documentary series Blue Planet, and Blue Planet II, by David Attenborough that I gushed about in this very thread?

‪Well marine biologists enjoyed it so much they have named a newly discovered species of plankton after it.

If you have any interest whatsoever in Marine Biology, you really, really should watch Blue Planet II. Or even the older series Blue Planet. They’re both well worth a look, and Blue Planet is on Netflix.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Or if you just want to have David Attenborough read you a bedtime story.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    Well! Without dragging a science thread into politics too much, Trump’s attempts to appoint someone new to head NASA are going just swimmingly...

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    What is the knock on this person that they're getting this many no votes?

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Krieghund wrote: »

He used to run a nonprofit which he ran into massive losses which, it turned out, was because he was diverting resources from the nonprofit to another company he owned which he was running for profit. And he’s a climate change denier.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular

He used to run a nonprofit which he ran into massive losses which, it turned out, was because he was diverting resources from the nonprofit to another company he owned which he was running for profit.
    Sounds like a perfect fit for Trump.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    There's also substantial pushback on the nomination of someone as partisan as Bridenstine to what is nominally a nonpartisan position. His record on climate change isn't stellar and NASA manages orbiting climate observatories.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular

He used to run a nonprofit which he ran into massive losses which, it turned out, was because he was diverting resources from the nonprofit to another company he owned which he was running for profit. And he’s a climate change denier.

Massive corruption, then. Par for the course with the administration and it's party.

Poor NASA.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Well! Without dragging a science thread into politics too much, Trump’s attempts to appoint someone new to head NASA are going just swimmingly...

Jeff Flake, Human Tunicate and Pile of Evidence that Arizona Was a Mistake*, reflects his name and switched his vote to confirm the new corrupt NASA head.

*Joe Arpaio and other citizens of the Meth Lab of Democracy are also evidence of this nature.

• Options
    Butchered rhino remains (along with other animals) and stone tools have been found in the Philippines - dated to a bit over 700,000 years ago. No hominid remains have been found, but this dates to before the existence of Homo sapiens. What's especially interesting is that there is no known land bridge between the Philippines and the rest of southeast Asia, even when sea levels were at their lowest during the heights of the Ice Age. These hominids had to have crossed ocean water somehow to make it there.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Butchered rhino remains (along with other animals) and stone tools have been found in the Philippines - dated to a bit over 700,000 years ago. No hominid remains have been found, but this dates to before the existence of Homo sapiens. What's especially interesting is that there is no known land bridge between the Philippines and the rest of southeast Asia, even when sea levels were at their lowest during the heights of the Ice Age. These hominids had to have crossed ocean water somehow to make it there.

The evidence is clear, 700.000 years ago rhino's used tools, and performed ritual sacrifices.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I've always maintained that the earliest rumblings of civilization took more than a few tries to take hold and was never exclusive to the domain of homo sapiens sapiens. Even if they were limited by brain size (in relation to body size) all species of homo should be fully capable of tool making and complex social groups. If a corvid (with a much lower brain to body ratio than early homo) can make simple tooks from sticks, a sapient ape should be able to manage even better what with their hands and opposable thumbs.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    I realize that this is super tangential, but the fictional Malazan book series was written by an anthropologist, and I love the way that series handled evolution/prior civilizations.

This discussion has been closed.