As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fortnite] Sprint forever!

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Same here. Makes me feel like it's 2006 playing WOW all over again.

You'd think that the guys who ran UNREAL TOURNAMENT for so long would have this down. But you'd be wrong.

What was the unreal objective mode again? I keep thinking that a big 50vs 50 objective/ scenario would be good for fortnight.

Assault. That was my jam. Team vs Team with objectives to take/hold/destroy, I could run those maps for hours. Online, solo with bots, whatever. My favourite was AS-Sunspire, which was a clusterfuck to actually take, but felt so damned good when you had a team that made actual progress.

I checked this morning before work, and the servers were still down. From glancing at Twitch, however, it seems that they're back up now, though I'm still seeing a sticky'd Reddit post from Epic saying that there remain some account instability issues, so I wouldn't assume we're entirely out of the woods just yet.

I just want to collect my expeditions, research, and check out the stuff in the store. :-(

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    I don't remember much of my time with Unreal other than I loved that rifle that fired a ball you then shot at to explode. STW could really use a sniper or weapon combo that could do that. There was that cool train assault level, some other level with a ridiculous tank to ride, and some kind of fancy bomb football gamemode that was fun.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Oh yeah the lightning gun , my favorite was always the garbage bio gun. I know it was trash I just thought it was cool lol

• Options
    I think the lightning gun was a sniper rifle. I believe the shock rifle was the 'fire a shot, a ball of energy, or detonate the ball with the shot' effect.

I liked the flak cannon for 'point it in a general direction and things die', but I'll forever fondly remember the day I found the perfect map and angle for using the ripper. Bouncing blades down a hall must've gotten me a dozen kills in a few seconds... and then the game promptly crashed.

But for an instant, I was actually doing well on the scoreboard for a change.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Okay, I think I've got this game down, except for Gadgets. I've unlocked the Airstrike and Adrenaline gadgets, but I can't figure out how to add them to my toon, yet the game keeps reminding me that You have open gadget slots, you n00b.

• Options
    CobellCobell Registered User regular
    Okay, I think I've got this game down, except for Gadgets. I've unlocked the Airstrike and Adrenaline gadgets, but I can't figure out how to add them to my toon, yet the game keeps reminding me that You have open gadget slots, you n00b.

When you launch into a mission, you slot them there and it remembers the last set you had on. I'm not in front of it now but I think it's during that same character select screen.

• Options
    Speaking of gadgets, the building material limit change means I can finally experiment with a gadget other than crate + heal.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • Options
    Won my first game ! Stats are still garbage! But there is hope!

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    So the meteor missed Tilted and wiped out Dusty Depot. Good trolling by the devs.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I don't even play BR, but I'm a bit sad that the people who sorted it all out were wrong after all. I wonder if the solution video I've seen on YouTube was just incorrect, or if they actually changed it/trolled the fanbase?

Like, if you put an ARG into a game, and people solve it, but you gave them misinformation, it seems like kind of a dick move, and makes me care less the next time they try to generate some hype through that avenue.

• Options
    Oh, and season 4 of BR is out for anyone not paying attention.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    That's... an expensive hero for STW. Though I had just about enough. Also 100 armory slots! <3

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    That Raven skin is also a duplicate skillset of the new Shadow Ops Soldier, AKA Buff Soldier Mari. A pistol soldier with a new dual-wielding pistol version of Going Commando

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    It's not a duplicate, but they do share a lot of stuff / are both based on the new pistol ability. I was looking at them, and I think the shadow ops looks at least as good as the nevermore.

Also a spear ninja, to go with the scythe one from the last update. Axe hero on the way next, perhaps?

And a shotgun (ish) outlander that is cool in concept, but probably not that great in practice.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    I've got to think that at dual-pistol wielding masked hero is meant to be Deadpool, right ?

• Options
    I'd think they'd include at least a hint of red in the costume if that were the case.

The 'Not Really John Wick' or whatever it is looks pretty damned close to the source material compared to that connection.

I bought it, but didn't have time to play a game (and only enough hero xp on hand to get to level 15 anyway), so I'll hold off final judgement until I know whether or not Raven makes fourth wall breaking quips and has a profound love of chimichangas.

• Options
    Season 4 is nice , except now that people are going dusty again I’m having to compete more for the million chests and mats over at cagey cargo ( the unnamed shipping yard next to tomato town and the overpass north of retail row. I feel like that should be the official name) . Previously it was usually me and only a handful of people for that whole area. Would strip cargo head over to the overpass and then fight on to tomato . Also as far as my garbage stats they are now at the point where they go over / dip under the 1/kd depending on if I’m on a hot or cold streak. So you know , improvement!

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I officially play this for the memes.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    BubsBubs Not Burbs ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I’ve played 15ish games so far. I have 0 kills, and I’ve landed maybe 5 shots. Building anything is a surefire way to die and I’m doing everything I can to avoid conflict.

My highest solo finish is #4 somehow.

Maybe this game is not for me?

PSN: thewheelz
  • Options
    If you think it's fun then all you need is practice. If you're not having fun then it might be time to move on.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Bubs wrote: »
    I’ve played 15ish games so far. I have 0 kills, and I’ve landed maybe 5 shots. Building anything is a surefire way to die and I’m doing everything I can to avoid conflict.

I think that’s how most people start. Just pick a favorite landing zone and just land there every time . You will learn where all the weapons spawn and you would be amazed how much having better gear helps.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    If all else fails, you can join the rest of the BR community and start scamming for weapons in Save The World. For... some reason? I still don't quite understand what's happening.

I'll trade for a gold scar, though. My base. Promise no scam.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    I thought briefly about playing Save the World for the Raven hero. Then I got 45 gold for completing a mission and was like no it's okay Epic, I'll continue to just log in for my founders rewards I guess.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I think the scammers are mostly kids who can't be bothered to actually learn how to play STW so they're just trying to progress as quickly as they can (for vbucks) in their mind without doing any investment in the game. Anyone playing long term knows it's all about schematic/survivor/hero levels, and to meaningfully progress means spending the very same vbucks they're saving for BR or actually playing STW instead of BR.

Dracil on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular

Avoiding conflict is not the way you get better at conflict in this game (or any game). You need to just dive in hot, get into fights right away and die quickly so you can restart and keep practicing.

• Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    Zek wrote: »

Avoiding conflict is not the way you get better at conflict in this game (or any game). You need to just dive in hot, get into fights right away and die quickly so you can restart and keep practicing.

Also, if you are on PC (and perhaps even console?), rebind your building keys to something quick and easy for you to get at in a pinch. I'm sure there are plenty of people who do fine with default settings, but I died repeatedly until I redid mine.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    I've been playing the heck out of the PVE campaign, but I'm baffled as to the utility of building in PVP, aside from the ability to quickly create cover, and possibly traps. Is there anything else to it ?

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    High level play is all about building over/around your opponent, getting the drop on them through speed and/or mind games

• Options
    High level play is all about building over/around your opponent, getting the drop on them through speed and/or mind games

To add to this I’ve noticed when people get into a build fight they try as hard as the can to build over you. This makes it so you can’t go up and going to the sides leaves you vulnerable to being shot . I’ve also noticed that today non of my fucking weapons seem to shoot straight . I’m am as the kids say , tilted as fuck.

• Options
    I've been playing the heck out of the PVE campaign, but I'm baffled as to the utility of building in PVP, aside from the ability to quickly create cover, and possibly traps. Is there anything else to it ?

Go on twitch and view any of the top 10 streams to see absolute wizards creating highrises in a matter of seconds.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I looked at how they do it, and it was as I suspected. Ninja for example uses a G502 with all the build buttons mapped to 4 different mouse buttons. So he can instantly switch to the piece he wants without ever having to stop moving to press buttons the keyboard.

Dracil on
  • Options
    Dracil wrote: »
    I looked at how they do it, and it was as I suspected. Ninja for example uses a G502 with all the build buttons mapped to 4 different mouse buttons. So he can instantly switch to the piece he wants without ever having to stop moving to press buttons the keyboard.

Yeah, most of the people I see put the build buttons on the mouse, but some don't like everything on their right hand so use buttons around WASD like ~, Q and F. Just takes a while to build the muscle memory whichever way you go.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    What the heck is going on in some of these neighborhoods ? I just found a house with a hidden operating room and jail cell in the basement and a bunch of graves in the backyard...

• Options
    Man a little bit ago I would have been super happy that I got into to the top 3 with a few kills , now I just moan that I choked and I fucking suck. Bah ! At least my Ar seems to be hitting people again. Also as a longtime gears player I’ve started to notice just how similar the weapons are. Burst rifle = gow1 hammerburst , revolver = boltok handgun= snub , tactical shotgun = Gnasher . The list goes on , not a bad thing at all just an observation. And yes I know it’s epic so of course they are similar but it’s made me want cog skins ( which can’t happen now)

• Options
    Playing the PVE campaign, I'm now in the third zone. Ray is gone, thank goodness, are the quests now just random "Do 3 of these missions..." or is there an overall narrative ? Did they stop developing the PVE campaign after Plankerton ?

• Options
    Playing the PVE campaign, I'm now in the third zone. Ray is gone, thank goodness, are the quests now just random "Do 3 of these missions..." or is there an overall narrative ? Did they stop developing the PVE campaign after Plankerton ?

Canny Valley and Twine Peaks aren't finished like Stonewood and Plankerton are. No quest lines, no dialogue, and no unique biomes.

That's supposed to be changed some day, but I haven't seen a timeline for when the update is supposed to arrive.

• Options
    Zek wrote: »

I shouldn’t say I’m avoiding conflict, but I’m not needlessly seeking it out. If somebody’s got a 12 story fort built and is raining bullets down on everybody in sight, I leave that guy alone. If I feel reasonably well equipped and or I’ve got the drop on somebody, then it’s on like donkey kong.

I still maintain that building anything is a great way for me to get shot in the head, so I’m trying to stick to preexisting structures whenever possible.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Never mind.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    So are the chest and weapon spawns the same every time? Also, Does the rarity matter that much, or do I just need to aim better?

I got a 7th place finish with 4 kills by following the advice in this thread, and I think I’m starting to get it. Still can’t help but feel like duos or full squad games would be better/more fun or potentially much much worse.