As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PC Build Thread] New graphics cards are outrageously expensive. News at 11.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Man, Fatal1ty was one of the first celebrity gamers out there. That dude must have made so much money on that screen name. I doubt many people could even tell you who he was anymore.

Yeah my response was "wait, he's still relevant?"

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Man, Fatal1ty was one of the first celebrity gamers out there. That dude must have made so much money on that screen name. I doubt many people could even tell you who he was anymore.

I've seen his name on branded accessories, but I don't think I never knew what game he was famous for.

Quake 3 if I had to guess?

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Cormac wrote: »
    Newegg.ca has this, an ASRock ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, for $169 after rebate https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157501&cm_re=z97-_-13-157-501-_-Product
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I love how it specifically says Fatal1ty twice in the name.

Though my favorite product name will forever be the "Sprint Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch"

Since when did hardware designers turn into Capcom?

Elvenshae on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Yes, Quake 3. And some UT, but mostly Quake 3. He was one of the first guys giving interviews about his technique and the science of playing at a high level. At the time everyone laughed at him as taking it all too serious. Fast forward to 2018 and teams have trainers, sports psychologists, chefs, you name it. He has little relevance now but he was definitely one of the first serious pro gamers, who treated the craft as a profession and he's made a ton of money off his name since. Which I'm fine with.
    Rius wrote: »
    Hard to believe that 4 years later my 4770k (OC'd to 4.3ghz) and GTX 980 (ok this part's only ~3 years old) don't really merit upgrading from. With the exception of the occasional, still-totally-unexplained hard crashes to black while playing PoE, we're trucking along nicely.

Except for VRAM, I suppose. I am playing FFXV in 1080p via Steam Link and I seem to always be at 95% VRAM utilization. And I'm definitely not cranked up all the way in graphics details.

And while I have a Vive which theoretically would love a 10-series card with a little more VRAM, I really don't play it much at all.

GPU prices are starting to fall on eBay/Reddit, so maybe I can move up to a 1070 or something, and sell my 980? I need to look at some FFXV benchmarks.

If you're only playing at 1080p sure, I guess this is true. Little reason to upgrade. But at least in the GPU world, the difference between a 1080 Ti and a 980 is a lot, especially past 1080p with a lot of the new graphics techniques like global SSAO and domain shaders. At 4K it's basically not comparable. A 1080 Ti is capable of it at reasonable frames and high'ish settings, a 980 is not.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

He's p much the Jordan of esports.

The name itself still carries weight.

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular

I was asking if he was relevant when the first fatality branded piece of hardware came out, and my position hasnt changed.

• Redspo0nRedspo0n Registered User regular
    Gave up my fools errand for a short-cut to victory. Picked up a Ryzen 3 1200, MSI B350m, and 16gb of 3000mhz Patriot Viper ram. (and a Samsung 850 M.2 500gb SSD, cause reasons =p). Without any further tweaking, I'm sutter and frame-drop free! Little knob-twisting and dial-setting got my previous OC back in place on my 1060

Now the questions! The Mobo only 'supports' up to 2400mhz Ram, but goes on to say "up to 3200(OC)!" - but I get error beeps and a CMOS reset when trying to set anything above 21..uh.. 33(?) with the timings listed on the sticks. MSIs compatibility page even says it's supported up to 2400 (the max shown supported for any of it's compatible ram, even though, again, the box and manual and bios have higher settings listed), and I'm just wondering if someone has a direct solution, and if not, is it worth banging my head against it for a while?

Really crossing my fingers to push on to a 4ghz OC, but I felt like I needed to address base concerns first.

"Hey, want a Skull Servent? He's Evil."
    XFIRE:redspo0n (Yep, Zero in there) XBL: Pinkspo0n
  • iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Did you make sure the RAM was on the motherboards compatible list for the speed you wanted? Ryzen is notoriously picky with that.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    When did RAM need to be on a motherboard compatibility list? I feel like we're going back in time to old RAM again...

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    RAM's always had compatibility issues with timings and all that.

You mostly just try to find the highest speed DDR you're looking for that the motherboard supports.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    Did you set the RAM timings manually or use the XMP settings? XMP 2 is max speed, XMP 1 is one step less. My 3200 sticks will only use the XMP 1 setting; XMP 2 gives me random bluescreens, unfortunately. But 2999(?) is pretty good. That's on the OC voltage of 1.35v - if you're boosting to anything past the official maximums of DDR4 (2400) you'll need to up the voltage to whatever the stick recommends.

You may also need to boost both the RAM and SOC voltage if you bump up the RAM speed. The Ryzen core-interconnect (the SOC) speed is based off the RAM speed, so if you bump one you'll be boosting the other too. Defaults is .9v on my system, I have it at 1.0v.

8R7BtLw.png
  • ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    iguanacus wrote: »
    Did you make sure the RAM was on the motherboards compatible list for the speed you wanted? Ryzen is notoriously picky with that.

This has largely been solved, AFAIK. I couldn't OC my RAM at all when I bought it, but it works (almost) fine now with the latest BIOS updates.

8R7BtLw.png
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Timing, sure, but now I've seen a few postings about a brand or speed not working up to its rated speed even though the motherboard should support it.

Granted, I think the last time I bought ram was DDR2.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Timing, sure, but now I've seen a few postings about a brand or speed not working up to its rated speed even though the motherboard should support it.

Granted, I think the last time I bought ram was DDR2.

looks to be 90% of those are "I'm over clocking and everything is breaking"

the tl;dr of that is: don't overclock unless you like headaches

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Or you need it, just OC'ing for the sake of it is a bit silly.

Yeah but how else will I know if I'm truly alive?

edited April 2018
    The kit I bought was purchased based on it's listed compatibility to run at the 'Max' 2400mhz that MSI lists for all compatible ram. As in, even though the box, manual, and Bios all list up to 3200(OC), their compatibility list ONLY lists speed as 'compatible' up to 2400.

What's getting me is that I can't even get 2400, it's stuck at 2133 without boot-failure.

-edit- I seem to have found stability with 2800@1.35v - which is better than nothing, but I'm still disappointed I can't get the full 3000 the kit is supposedly rated for. Kinda tempted to really push my luck with more voltage, but I'm told 1.4v is a no-no.

Redspo0n on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Yeah but how else will I know if I'm truly alive?

Bleed.

By cutting yourself on your video card.

That's a given.

Did you even really build a PC if you didn't offer up blood to the PC gods?

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I didn't cut myself when I built my current PC. It has a powder-coated steel case rather than an aluminum one and the edges aren't sharp.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    I didn't cut myself when I built my current PC. It has a powder-coated steel case rather than an aluminum one and the edges aren't sharp.

Everything is made to be broken.

• BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

Blasphemy!

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
    Turns out I wasn't one of the Lottery winners quite so far as some other folks - but Ryzen 3 1200, 3.6ghz @ 1.3v ~70c with the stock cooler. If I dump 3.8ghz@1.4v, I can get it to boot to windows, but it's not stable - and the mythical 4ghz I see all over t3h interwebs hardlocks before we even get bios. Got the Ram sitting at 2800 without issue as well, and the 1060 +100mhz offset with the memory clock up 400mhz.

All in all, nothing amazing or brutal, but still more than I paid for, ya know?

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Redspo0n wrote: »
    Turns out I wasn't one of the Lottery winners quite so far as some other folks - but Ryzen 3 1200, 3.6ghz @ 1.3v ~70c with the stock cooler. If I dump 3.8ghz@1.4v, I can get it to boot to windows, but it's not stable - and the mythical 4ghz I see all over t3h interwebs hardlocks before we even get bios. Got the Ram sitting at 2800 without issue as well, and the 1060 +100mhz offset with the memory clock up 400mhz.

i doubt you're gonna get 4ghz on the stock cooler.

I got a 1600x (Was the same price as the 1600 when i got it), and i hit the ceiling at 3.9ghz. ram is up to 3200 though.
    no u

Buttcleft wrote: »
    Redspo0n wrote: »

i doubt you're gonna get 4ghz on the stock cooler.

I got a 1600x (Was the same price as the 1600 when i got it), and i hit the ceiling at 3.9ghz. ram is up to 3200 though.
    no u

I didnt really expect to get to 4ghz, but the system wont even load the bios if I set it up for 4ghz, no matter the voltage setting.

So, even with a water loop, I expect I wont be able to push it harder than I already am. (And really, using Prime95 to stress, it tops out at 71c, so thermal isnt even a consideration yet)

I'm pleased with the stable 3.6 though, and should I find myself with loose cash I can always still move up the CPU tiers into a 1800x like some kind of sponsored youtuber =p

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    My CPU is running hot (70+ degrees celcius), and I can't tell if the pump in my AIO (Corsair Hydro 100 from 2012) is running or not. I figured I'd have a crack at cleaning off the old thermal compound and reseating it before I get drastic and spend big money on a new AIO unit. Is Arctic Silver 5 still pretty good?

People like it a lot.

And 70 is not hot. Is that under load or idle?

edited April 2018
    70 can be hot depending on the setup. If my delidded 8700K on AIO was running at 70C I'd wonder if something was failing, as it idles at 25 and sits at 50 under load.

That said if your pump wasn't running at all your CPU temps would sore way above 70 and you likely start to get down clocking and thermal crashes. Make sure everything's clean and consider unseating your cooler, cleaning all the old paste off with some alcohol and reapplying. Arctic Silver 5 is fine but also pretty old. IC Diamond became the thing for a while and now it's Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. For the most part any of them will still work and the difference is 1C here and 2C there.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    There is corsair software which should be able to give you some readings from your cooler.

It should be able to tell you if the pump is running.

I used it when i built my computer to force the fans on the radiator to respond to coolant temperature rather than cpu temperature. I didnt even know i could see coolant temperature until i used the software. I dont remember what it is called but it shouldnt be hard to find on their website (im phone posting).

Al_wat on
    It's called Corsair Link.

I think I have my 8700K overclock where I want it to now. 4.9ghz on all cores, -2 AVX offset, adaptive voltage, and CPU down-clocking enabled in Windows. So it still drops the clock and volts when I'm doing nothing, but will run up all 6-cores to 4.9ghz with appropriate voltage when I need it. Idle temps basically didn't change. Under load they went up about 15c, but I was running at 50c under load before...I had the head room.

I'm positive I could get the chip to 5ghz stable...but I'm going to run it at 4.9 for a while under day to day load just to make sure everything is good than probably take it to 5ghz just to say I did.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    enu3pljroiap.jpg

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I know when I overclocked my 7700k I did notice performance improvements in some games. Especially poorly optimized ones like PUBG.

I mean "need" is subjective. I wanted to. so I did :biggrin:

I like tweaking with shit like that. Also once I got it to a good place I basically don't have to touch it again.

Al_wat on
  • QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Hey friends.

A friend of mine is having weird connection issues with her computer.
    It seems to disconnect in weird instances. I'll give an example of when it happens.

We play a lot of Final Fantasy XIV - she can run around the world just fine, quest, etc. But suddenly in dungeons and raids or busy areas it will time out and disconnect her. She doesn't get an error message.

It won't disconnect her from discord or anything else, just final fantasy xiv.

However, when using things like facebook she is unable to view images, in discord she can't send us images. She also cannot use messenger on facebook. But she's able to use the rest of the browser fine. This happens regardless of whether FFXIV is open or not which makes me think it's not a game issue but specifically a tech issue affecting her connection?

Her boyfriend is connected to the same router and his works fine - she's tried it both wireless and with ethernet cable. Same issue.

This has only started in the past few days.

We've taken out and replaced ram, updated all of her drivers, unplugged and replugged all power cables, reset the router.

What else can we try?

Quical on
    NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Does she have a discrete network card? Does it do it on other networks?

Took out the network card. Tried with ethernet cable. Neither works :(

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    If she takes it to like, a Starbucks or a neighbor's house, does she have the same issues?

It's a desktop pc :(

That's no excuse!

Is there a firewall? Anything change recently if so?

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Quical wrote: »
    It's a desktop pc :(

zidza49zk58a.png

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
This discussion has been closed.