As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dad of War: Axe Me About My Son[God of War]

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    ED! wrote: »
    Just saw a blurb from Gamesradar: "It’s not always clear if you have the right tool for an enemy or puzzle yet." Ok, so I knew this was a revamp but it's semi-open world/slightly non-linear (that's what I take from this quote)? I'm not expecting GTA V, but if they give us a Legacy of Kain style non-linear experience, yowza. 6 hours and change to go.

From the limited amount of non-spoilery shit I've heard... I think you're going to be happy. That is my prediction.
    On the Giant Bombcast, they mentioned that the boy will sometimes give you hints that amount to "hmm, I wonder what tool we could use to help with this thing", implying A) the thing is actually a thing of note, and B) you don't have the thing you need yet.

So like, Metroidvania-ish? Tomb Raider reboot ish?

That's what Metroidvania means? Having never played a Metroid I didn't know.

And I'm fine with the areas themselves being "tight", it's just nice to know that there might be some sense of "you can't do this yet. . ." in the game. I always hate in game with puzzles, the idea that you get this new item (Flame Wand) and immediately you know what to do with it (oh next area is "the ice land").

Also, that kid looks like what I imagine a young Jeremy Renner to look like.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    More Metroid than Vania. Requiring certain tools to access certain areas has always been a trope of the series.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Yep, the new Tomb Raider reboot games are very "metroidy" in the way they force you to reexplore areas after new tools have been acquired.

The first of the Batman Arkham trilogy was very "metroidy" too, as another example. Need the bat gel for this, the super grapple for that, the sonic batarangs for this other thing. Lots of reexploration required to find all the secrets. The later games in the series are kinda sorta like this, but to a lesser degree. The larger the game world gets, the less like Metroid it became. The original Arkham game was a pretty tiny map.

If GoW is like that, I'll be pretty happy. I love that type of game.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    If there's areas you can go back to, that is definitely a big change from the previous games.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    There's a hub area and a map where icons get added telling you that a thing was there that you saw to go back to or that you did.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Yep, the new Tomb Raider reboot games are very "metroidy" in the way they force you to reexplore areas after new tools have been acquired.

The first of the Batman Arkham trilogy was very "metroidy" too, as another example. Need the bat gel for this, the super grapple for that, the sonic batarangs for this other thing. Lots of reexploration required to find all the secrets. The later games in the series are kinda sorta like this, but to a lesser degree. The larger the game world gets, the less like Metroid it became. The original Arkham game was a pretty tiny map.

If GoW is like that, I'll be pretty happy. I love that type of game.

Someone once told me that "If Arkham Asylum was Metroid, Arkham City is Zelda". It basically has the whole idea of new stuff to get to new areas thing, but in a bigger open world than the one dungeon idea of Asylum.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Dan from GB had a good analogy. There's an area that basically works like the Hyrule field in Ocarina of time. One big hub with branches to different spots that you can explore, but which you keep coming back to.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    How is Gamestop out of copies? Are you in a smaller market. I just walked into mine and grabbed a pre-order. If not today, I can not imagine all three of those places being sold out; also the "pre-order bonus" is likely inside the game like it is for a lot of these new releases. The Gamestop "exclusive" pre-order bonus is the only bonus that is explicitly stated to be on your receipt so I think you'll be fine if that's what you were worried about.
    Nah, I'm looking to buy one of the fancy-shmancy God of War PS4 Pro bundle systems to replace my OG PS4. That's what I probably missed the boat on. I'm 100% sure that they will have enough physical copies of the base game, so that's my fallback plan. (I prefer digital because I swap discs with other local friends.)

26904.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Fucking finally, my copy just shipped. Coming from MD to here in NY, so hopefully it arrives when it says it will.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    In the UK so it's been out for an hour or so, for the entirety of which I've been playing. Got through the first mission (mission probably isn't the right word).

I really like it so far (though obviously pretty early on).

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    In the UK so it's been out for an hour or so, for the entirety of which I've been playing. Got through the first mission (mission probably isn't the right word).

I really like it so far (though obviously pretty early on).

Nooooo all of a sudden I feel ill at work.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Stupid wrote: »
    How is Gamestop out of copies? Are you in a smaller market. I just walked into mine and grabbed a pre-order. If not today, I can not imagine all three of those places being sold out; also the "pre-order bonus" is likely inside the game like it is for a lot of these new releases. The Gamestop "exclusive" pre-order bonus is the only bonus that is explicitly stated to be on your receipt so I think you'll be fine if that's what you were worried about.
    Nah, I'm looking to buy one of the fancy-shmancy God of War PS4 Pro bundle systems to replace my OG PS4. That's what I probably missed the boat on. I'm 100% sure that they will have enough physical copies of the base game, so that's my fallback plan. (I prefer digital because I swap discs with other local friends.)
    That PS4 Pro looks neat as hell, too. I totally want one.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Anyone who has spoiled themselves on the trophies, is there a "Beat the Game On. . ." trophy? I am debating starting on God of War, but not if there's no trophy for it (and also because you can't opt out in game).

EDIT: This opening sequence makes me wish I had an HDR TV.

ED! on
  • Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    Anyone who has spoiled themselves on the trophies, is there a "Beat the Game On. . ." trophy? I am debating starting on God of War, but not if there's no trophy for it (and also because you can't opt out in game).

EDIT: This opening sequence makes me wish I had an HDR TV.

There's no difficulty related trophies from what I can see.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    Hooboy. Just died twice on the first enemies. That parry animation though is even more epic than Dark Souls.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Some streamers already have the game and are playing through it. Man, Atreus gives Kratos so much shit, it's great. Since he can't simply kill Atreus like he's used to doing with people who sass him, it's hilarious watching him try to handle it like an adult.

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Some streamers already have the game and are playing through it. Man, Atreus gives Kratos so much shit, it's great. Since he can't simply kill Atreus like he's used to doing with people who sass him, it's hilarious watching him try to handle it like an adult.

It feels like they might have gotten pointers from Naughty Dog on how to design and write a young plucky sidekick.

. . .also I am getting wrecked here. This does not play like the previous GoW's I've played (1 and 2, though I remember nothing from them). Nixing the combo meter makes the combat have a more "seriousness" to it, almost Dark Souls like in the timing and attention to your surroundings. I was pushing in like a hack-and-slasher and just getting murdered (hell two wolves killed me) but taking a more measured approach, at least in the beginning, seems to be the way to go.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Seems like it unlocks in about 40 minutes in the states? ...I can stay up a little late and stream it for a bit. I just watched a 7 minute recap video on the rest of the series that was basically "and then he John Wick'd all the Greek gods." I am ready to throw an axe at things!

• Options
    Holy fuck the scowl on this kid:
    mjZk0Y3.jpg

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I had 10 hours remaining on the update file and wondered wtf was going on. Turns out someone else in the house had their tv turned off but their filthy Xbox had been streaming Netflix all day. Yanked that fat leech off and it went down to 40 minutes.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    I'm sure there's going to be a ton of sperging in this thread, so let me get the train started: holy fuck that first boss fight.
    Was that Loki? He had ice powers and talked about Odin and his brother.

. . .and boy howdy is it a fight on 2nd highest difficulty. I was on the edge of my seat especially with no healing (at least none that I could see in the arena).

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I've never played a God of War game, it's a series I basically avoided. Not my thing. The more I heard about this one the more I was like "That sounds like my thing. Zeldarksidervania RPG lite, with a good story and some dad feels involved? Sign me up".

Having just booted it up I have to say: Damn video games look good in 2018. This looks incredible on a 4K HDR display. For me this now supplants Horizon as the best looking PS4 game, pretty easily.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Have played for 20 minutes and this is already excellent. Combat is a joy even with basic moves

• Options
    edited April 2018
    I am loving how these LABORS are revealed after you pull off some combo/trick you didn't know. Just got two in a row:
    One after hitting a Draugr with my Axe and then "shattering" him, and one from pinning an enemy against the wall.

. . .also I really like how the "journal" is handled. It totally makes sense.

EDIT: Jesus H. Cristof I am getting my stuff pushed in. I also heard from someone that on "God of War" difficulty: [spoilers]enemies get new abilities.[/spoiler] That certainly adds to replay.

ED! on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    That opening quest line through the first 2 boss battles was worth the price of admission by itself.

Why must I work tomorrow/today?!

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Okay Cory. You win. Challenge Mode is a bit too challenging for me. I think I'm going Normal mode but with all tooltips turned off. I wish the gap between Normal and Challenge wasn't as wide as it is, but holy hell some of these mob fights go on and on. . .and having to restart on death is no bueno.

• Options
    timhodgetimhodge AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Got through three or four hours. It's about as amazing as I expected, which is a good result.

That big fight with That Guy
    who Atreus now suspects is Baldur
    was really a spectacular sequence.

And that first conversation with
    the World Serpent
    was pretty memorable too.

0877-0596-8498 | Swirlix, Dedenne, Floette
  • Options
    Ok I take that back. Challenge mode was necessarily difficult:
    you're just stupid weak in the beginning. Once you meet the Dwarven crafter, those same enemies are now "push overs" once you upgrade/craft some armor.

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    timhodge wrote: »

Well... if he is that guy... then I have bad news...
    Baldr being killed is what starts the events to Ragnarok in Norse mythology... not that we didn't see that coming...

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Only an hour or so in, and the bulk of my norse mythology comes from the MCU now, so I may be off with someall of my guesses:
    I'm guessing That Guy is Thor or Loki? Was the actual Loki associated with ice powers in any way?
    Thor's supposed to be the fighter, but this is GoW, so I'd guess there's going to be a lot more fighting in general.
    He namedrops Odin and mentions his brother, but he doesn't actually say Odin's his dad, so it could be someone else I don't know about.

That fight was a great Holy Shit moment when he punches you into the air, though.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Only an hour or so in, and the bulk of my norse mythology comes from the MCU now, so I may be off with someall of my guesses:
    I'm guessing That Guy is Thor or Loki? Was the actual Loki associated with ice powers in any way?
    Thor's supposed to be the fighter, but this is GoW, so I'd guess there's going to be a lot more fighting in general.
    He namedrops Odin and mentions his brother, but he doesn't actually say Odin's his dad, so it could be someone else I don't know about.

That fight was a great Holy Shit moment when he punches you into the air, though.
    Loki is a giant, so there's no reason why he couldn't be associated with ice, even if he is sometimes depicted as being fire-related. It might be fun to see a more brawler-ish take on him; there's no reason he couldn't fight, and his father's name translates more or less to "punches really hard", so it does run in the family. In Nordic mythologi, Thor and Loki aren't brothers, but Loki is essentially a sworn brother to Odin. And, of course, Loki is the father of some familiar faces - Fenris/Fenrir, Hel/Hela and the Midgard Serpent. He is also the father (or, technically, mother) of Odin's horse, Sleipnir, but we don't talk about that incident.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Sheesh, yeah, this is hard, playing on whatever the above-normal one is. Either I'm not doing enough damage or the enemies have too much health, and it punishes mistakes pretty harshly. Looks lovely, though, and that first proper boss fight was amazing.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Grislo wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »

Loki is a giant, so there's no reason why he couldn't be associated with ice, even if he is sometimes depicted as being fire-related. It might be fun to see a more brawler-ish take on him; there's no reason he couldn't fight, and his father's name translates more or less to "punches really hard", so it does run in the family. In Nordic mythologi, Thor and Loki aren't brothers, but Loki is essentially a sworn brother to Odin. And, of course, Loki is the father of some familiar faces - Fenris/Fenrir, Hel/Hela and the Midgard Serpent. He is also the father (or, technically, mother) of Odin's horse, Sleipnir, but we don't talk about that incident.
    With him mentioning being sent by Odin and his brother it seems pretty likely it's either Thor or Baldur and since there weren't any lightning shenanigans I'm guessing Baldur. And ya Loki being Thor's brother is just in the Marvel universe.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR7IX5RTPPA

Cory Barlog, the game's director reacting to reviews after the embargo lifted.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Arg, Amazon sent my copy via standard Postal Service. UPS normally delivers at like 10-11 in the morning but USPS delivers at like 3-4 in the afternoon so it's going to be here 5-6 hours later than it needs to be. Oh well, time to avoid streams for a bit.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    If this game is open world-ish, does that mean that collectables aren't missable?
    I just had the fight with
    The Stranger, and I've found one apple and two toys.
    Is there anything I've missed that I won't be able to go back and look for?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    mjZk0Y3.jpg

Definitely hereditary. He comes by it honestly.

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »
    mjZk0Y3.jpg

Definitely hereditary. He comes by it honestly.

"You got that from your mother."

• Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    I got bored yesyerday and watched the ending online. I won't spoil anything but it's got me hyped as fuck.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Quiotu wrote: »
    timhodge wrote: »

Well... if he is that guy... then I have bad news...
    Baldr being killed is what starts the events to Ragnarok in Norse mythology... not that we didn't see that coming...
    I hope he's not 100% dead. I want that dude to be a Vergil so bad after that fight.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky