As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dad of War: Axe Me About My Son[God of War]

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Hoo boy, that first boss fight. This game is gonna be a ride.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Quiotu wrote: »
    timhodge wrote: »
    That big fight with That Guy
    who Atreus now suspects is Baldur
    was really a spectacular sequence.

Well... if he is that guy... then I have bad news...
    Baldr being killed is what starts the events to Ragnarok in Norse mythology... not that we didn't see that coming...
    I hope he's not 100% dead. I want that dude to be a Vergil so bad after that fight.
    Do you want to know? In regards to the number of times you fight him?
    You will fight him two more times.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Work is gonna go slow today... especially since I seem to be weirdly not busy at all.

Ahhh!

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Damn, my hour or so of gameplay on twitch got part of the video muted. Bear McCreary did the music, which is neat, but apparently the music also gets flagged by twitch/youtube copyright bots. Really good so far, can't wait for work to end to get back into it.

• milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    So, I crashed at like 8pm last night when I put the kids to bed. My plan was to power nap until about midnight, then wake up and play until I had to get ready for work around 6:30. I ended up waking up around 1am, and i guess my wife had been having a lot of trouble sleeping. So I couldn't bring myself to put the television in our room on and play God of War all night. Just, you know, for the sake of my marriage lol.

Work's going so goddamn slow.

I feel like I've been here for a thousand hours.

milk ducks on
    edited April 2018
    I didn't get to play a ton last night but I did get to do this silly thing and I love it
    (Normal enemy from first hour of game but just in case)
    edit oh these don't autoembed anyway
    https://clips.twitch.tv/AnimatedUninterestedKaleTTours

SniperGuy on
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I didn't get to play a ton last night but I did get to do this silly thing and I love it

It's cool how much interaction the axe has with enemies. Hitting them in the head usually freezes and crowd controls them, hitting their feet trips them, the axe hits enemies coming back to you..

It's cool how much interaction the axe has with enemies. Hitting them in the head usually freezes and crowd controls them, hitting their feet trips them, the axe hits enemies coming back to you..

I've heard you can
    throw it into the ground to trip guys running
    but didn't get to try that yet. Throwing feels a little imprecise but it's a huge axe so that makes sense.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular

I feel sorry if anyone ever has to develop a Thor game.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Sheesh, yeah, this is hard, playing on whatever the above-normal one is. Either I'm not doing enough damage or the enemies have too much health, and it punishes mistakes pretty harshly. Looks lovely, though, and that first proper boss fight was amazing.

Stick with it. It opens up, but yea the first couple hours you are getting beat on. I turned the difficulty down one, and it's a bit too easy. Once you get past a certain part things start to become manageable.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I think getting the hang of this game's combat will mean learning to really trust your dodges and know when to dodge vs roll.

It seems like you can cancel a lot of attack animations (mostly on startup) into a dodge, which is important for enemies who don't stagger or when there's a big group. I'll have to sit down and experiment tonight.

Definitely reasonably challenging on normal when you meet tough enemies, but the regular guys are pretty easy. I might turn it up a level.

I got my ass kicked many, many times by the first group of tough enemies that show up.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    The first big guy you fight is definitely a chore and a half, but its done on purpose, it makes it feel like kratos is kinda slow and weak now, relatively speaking. Hes lost a step. It all sets up the second big fight, where shit goes bananas.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Guys need some tips. Revenants. These guys are ANNOYING. Especially when they’re thrown in some groups. I mean I arrow them with Atreus and they’re still too fast for the Axe.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Guys need some tips. Revenants. These guys are ANNOYING. Especially when they’re thrown in some groups. I mean I arrow them with Atreus and they’re still too fast for the Axe.
    I found I was able to land a heavy axe throw after an arrow, you might need to time the arrow to interrupt an attack for extra stun time. Then the heavy axe throw gives you time to get a few hits in. Don't forget spartan rage to clear out other enemies faster!

Get up on them. They are "stunned" after an arrow it seems, but recover fast. You definitely want to kill them before anything else, since the rest are slow, especially if playing on higher difficulty.

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    How do I get the photo mode? Is ther eeven a photo mode? First party Sony games have mostly all had one so I figured this one would've too.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Picking this up from Best Buy after work because Amazon failed me. Still got 20% discount and some finagling of credit meant minimal actual cash.

Got a nice weekend ahead in about seven hours or so.

Big Classy wrote: »
    How do I get the photo mode? Is ther eeven a photo mode? First party Sony games have mostly all had one so I figured this one would've too.

I don't think there is one. At least I haven't seen one yet. The Day 1 patch added performance options for the Pro but didn't look like it did much else substantial.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Deans wrote: »
    I found I was able to land a heavy axe throw after an arrow, you might need to time the arrow to interrupt an attack for extra stun time. Then the heavy axe throw gives you time to get a few hits in. Don't forget spartan rage to clear out other enemies faster!
    Wait, you can land a heavy throw and freeze them? Mind blown

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

They announced it was coming and showed a preview but doesn't have a date as far as I know.

• KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    ED! wrote: »

I don't think there is one. At least I haven't seen one yet. The Day 1 patch added performance options for the Pro but didn't look like it did much else substantial.

Photo mode is coming eventually, it's in the works but no date yet: https://www.polygon.com/2018/4/20/17261422/god-of-war-photo-mode

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    This almost redeems Kratos in my eyes (not really but still great)

god_of_war_photo_mode_kratos_seagull_1920.png

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Got about three hours in last night before I had to sleep. There is nothing story spoilery here, but in the interest of being 100% non-spoiler I'm going to talk about the characters a bit:
    I'm completely hooked in the world and the characters. Having never played another God of War I have no particular ties to Kratos and I think on his own his character would annoy me. Atreus
    serves as the perfect foil though and allows for a character dynamic that allows me to care about both characters. I love his banter and the way he calls Kratos on his bull. If the tone, tenor and writing hold up throughout the entire game I think I am really going to enjoy this one a lot. Doesn't hurt that it pulls at my dad feels all the time.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Kind of spoils the gag, but it's still punny. . .I mean funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=114&v=ZmudHehrvvc

OH MY GOD ATREUS WHY U SO ADORABLE!"!!!! This craked me up so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM_0eVJ35AM

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR7IX5RTPPA

(looks like someone else posted it first, but yeah you usually don't get to see dev team reactions like this)

Donnicton on
    Game says I've seen less than 10% of it. . .yet I've seen now about 95% of everything we've seen so far in trailers and the like. Also:

Atreus: "I don't think we have the right tool for that. . ."
    Me: "It begins."

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Just got word the package is at my house while I am at work.

Now to never visit this thread again.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    So far every character I have met has been fantastically written and acted.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I was watching GB Quick Look and they spent quite a bit of time going over the menus and different upgrade systems.

Never would have imagined that would be in a God of War game.

Oh wow Kratos. Nice life lessons:
    Sidequest to find a drawf, and they come across a Soul-Eater. They see that the dwarves severed hand is attached.
    Atreus: "Well now we know what happened. No need to fight it."
    Kratos: "No, we will fight it."
    Atreus: "What! Why?!"
    Kratos: "Because you are afraid."

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Game says I've seen less than 10% of it. . .yet I've seen now about 95% of everything we've seen so far in trailers and the like. Also:

Atreus: "I don't think we have the right tool for that. . ."
    Me: "It begins."

Yeah they were really disciplined with their trailers. Pretty much everything from the trailers and teasers is from the first few hours of the game.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Oh wow Kratos. Nice life lessons:
    Sidequest to find a drawf, and they come across a Soul-Eater. They see that the dwarves severed hand is attached.
    Atreus: "Well now we know what happened. No need to fight it."
    Kratos: "No, we will fight it."
    Atreus: "What! Why?!"
    Kratos: "Because you are afraid."

Kratos's dad-ing is on point in this so far.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    I feel misled on the backtracking stuff, based on what I understand.
    You actually *can't* backtrack much of the game until after you just about (or do) beat the game, including an early stat boost item. So it's a pretty sucky feeling to know I'm gonna be a little underpowered the whole game.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Took me a while to get my TV set up to let me play in 4K HDR, but I have now played through the first quest (on Challenging).

Game is gorgeous, combat is meaty, and Challenging has definitely been challenging. So satisfying to recall the axe and have it interrupt attacks at the last second.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Parrying and countering feels so good in this game. It's nice to play a game where parrying is not only actually useful but responsive and weighty. (Looking at you Souls series)

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    The sound is exceptional in my SteelSeries Arctics Pro. Its DAC has a Digital output, a thing I never knew existed but PS4 has. (I'm not an audiophile, this is my first DAC)

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    edited April 2018
    Dracil wrote: »
    I feel misled on the backtracking stuff, based on what I understand.
    You actually *can't* backtrack much of the game until after you just about (or do) beat the game, including an early stat boost item. So it's a pretty sucky feeling to know I'm gonna be a little underpowered the whole game.

I'm. . .not sure that's true. I can backtrack to every area I've been to so far. I've only opened up the map so to speak, but I can absolutely go back to the beginning of the game. Now there's nothing there (I think there was an item I saw), but beyond that you can definitely go back, especially if you're talking about
    the health upgrade
    . Maybe I'm missing something.

EDIT: And the game just got bigger. Just got to
    Alfheim. I honestly thought we were only going to be in Midgard and Asgard (as 43 of the 51 Odin Ravens are on Midgard. Nope.

ED! on
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    It's 5:22 pm and I'm about ready to head home and dig in. I am SO excited. <3 you guys and thrilled that we all get to share another awesome experience.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G