As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Pokemon Go] Ultra Beast mode

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Hrm. Standing in middle of park, no one around. Fight gym, take out the snorlax, almost have the Blissey dead aaand it's back to 2800cp. Oh, and the snorlax is back? But I'm still alone in the park? How does that happen?

SniperGuy wrote: »
    Hrm. Standing in middle of park, no one around. Fight gym, take out the snorlax, almost have the Blissey dead aaand it's back to 2800cp. Oh, and the snorlax is back? But I'm still alone in the park? How does that happen?

Rampant spoofing.

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    a
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Rampant spoofing.

You can feed your defending pokemon berries from anywhere. And active players likely have a ton of golden raspberries (I'm sitting on 50 and I only raid once or twice a month, just to get the new legendary).

Could still be spoofing though.

Sir Landshark on
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    a

Rampant spoofing.

You can feed your mon berries from anywhere. And active players likely have a ton of golden raspberries (I'm sitting on 50 and I only raid once or twice a month, just to get the new legendary).

For the Snorlax to come back it had to be spoofing.

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    ObiFett wrote: »
    a

Rampant spoofing.

You can feed your mon berries from anywhere. And active players likely have a ton of golden raspberries (I'm sitting on 50 and I only raid once or twice a month, just to get the new legendary).

For the Snorlax to come back it had to be spoofing.

Oh I just assumed Sniper beat the Snorlax once and demotivated it but didn't actually knock it out.

Yeah if it was knocked out and came back it would have to be spoofing.

Sir Landshark on
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Yeah it was definitely knocked out. Damn. Any way to report players? It's close enough to where I live that I can still see the gym. And that damn Snorlax.

What sucks is that in their attempts to kill spoofing they've only successfully killed all the maps and haven't made even a noticeable dent in the spoofers.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    What sucks is that in their attempts to kill spoofing they've only successfully killed all the maps and haven't made even a noticeable dent in the spoofers.

Yup. One of the main reasons I don't really play anymore. They seem more intent on trying to stop the maps and such than actually fixing legit problems with the game. And then everything they do to stop spoofers not only is ineffective but tends to negatively impact legit players.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    The problem with the good events they are running nowadays is that there is a serious lull between them. There is hardly any incentive to play right now.

edited April 2018
    Grobian wrote: »
    The problem with the good events they are running nowadays is that there is a serious lull between them. There is hardly any incentive to play right now.

I think that's why Niantic has been doing events more often lately, and spread out the gen 3 reveals. And introduced research. Though if I weren't motivated to collect stardust to power up my Pokes I probably wouldn't fire it up every day.

cloudeagle on
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Hrmmmm, I think I got glitched out of my 7 day streak for catching 'mons today. :( In other news, just won my first tier 3 raid (Piloswine), came down to the last 5 seconds. It was a nail biter.

Still haven't found a forking Ditto. :(

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • LeeksLeeks Registered User regular
    Grobian wrote: »

Logging in to catch everything that could be a ditto, but isn't, is my current motivation.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    It would have been really nice if they had added regionals, porygon, and hitmons to that last gen 1 event

I hear they added grimer though I never saw one (and still haven't!) though I did get Muk from a raid finally

edited April 2018
    Xaquin wrote: »
    It would have been really nice if they had added regionals, porygon, and hitmons to that last gen 1 event

I hear they added grimer though I never saw one (and still haven't!) though I did get Muk from a raid finally

Not the regionals, but they really did add the others! Though I got exactly one Porygon and one Hitmonlee.

Though I have no idea how mere mortals will be able to manage a Porygon 3 evolve next gen. I barely managed Porygon 2.

cloudeagle on
    Did they add Lapras or Snorlax during the event? Those are the two (non-legendary) gen 1 that I still need. Never saw them during the event.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
    man, I was out every day and didn't see either

I saw a grimer silhouette but when I arrived at the pokestop it did not spawn

Did they add Lapras or Snorlax during the event? Those are the two (non-legendary) gen 1 that I still need. Never saw them during the event.

I didn't see either of them but got a snorelax a long time ago whilst eating at mcdonalds and a lapras during a water event some time ago as well

Xaquin wrote: »

I didn't see either of them but got a snorelax a long time ago whilst eating at mcdonalds and a lapras during a water event some time ago as well

I saw a Lapras once, like a year ago, used my best ball and a raspberry, didn't catch, and immediately fled. It was a sad day.

I was hoping to see the Kabuto line more often in the Kanto event. Never saw a single one.

They were added as raids at least. Which of course doesn't help everyone (p sure they were tier 4, so you do need a group), but still better than nothing.

I'm currently only missing Tauros, Articuno and Mew from Gen 1. Mew is just a matter of time and I hope Articuno will be in the field research box soon. I also hope for a gen 1 regional community day which spawns all the regionals that aren't native to your region. Or even all regionals if they have exclusive moves.

But I had only been missing those three and Mewtwo for ages, the event did nothing for me on the pokedex front.

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Apart from regionals, missing Blastoise, Muk, Hitmonchan and Kabutops after the event

Also Articuno and Zapdos, but I assume they will be research rewards soon

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    Woo got a ditto! Ready to evolve magikarp at any time, but may was well wait until the raids are done in case I snag a shiny.

You can do the raids from one pass if you just let the timer run down and restart, iirc. It doesn't need you to win.

But I also did them the regular way because there's really no rush. Coincidentally I just did the 10th half an hour ago and got my first Latias.

Perfect throw and feeding berries will probably take me a while because I usually just catch with the gotcha.

Yeah, I've been dragging my feet on the raid part as well

Could have finished it by now if I wanted to, but there's no rush

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    Woo, finally got a ditto!

Now on to getting those raids done, and wondering whether I should promote my shiny, but crummy IV Magikarp, or my awesome IV (like 14/14/15, iirc), but normal Magikarp.

Decisions, decisions.

• WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    See, this is one of those times when I really love this game, because I've found every one of the pokemon mentioned in the last few comments...no wait, I missed out on my chance to get a zapdos. But leaving work I happened to open the game up and see a Snorlax spawn at a stop, which I was able to get for the first time ever.
    I haven't done anything all that different, except I guess live in a spot that was extremely active during Ingress Days, which I do think counts for something in this game.
    But you guys are saying the regionals didn't spawn for you, which is the exact opposite thing that happened to me. I was finding Ponyta's and Geodudes and almost everything from Gen 1 that I thought I would have to go fly to Arizona or some shit to get.
    The downside is that in the rush and excitement, I never bothered to look up what was coming next, so wasted a hundred candies powering up my Gyrados, Evolving another Porygon 2 just for kicks, and had been ignoring Rats and Pidgeys not knowing about needing a Third Ditto. So, whoops!

WeX Majors wrote: »
    See, this is one of those times when I really love this game, because I've found every one of the pokemon mentioned in the last few comments...no wait, I missed out on my chance to get a zapdos. But leaving work I happened to open the game up and see a Snorlax spawn at a stop, which I was able to get for the first time ever.
    I haven't done anything all that different, except I guess live in a spot that was extremely active during Ingress Days, which I do think counts for something in this game.
    But you guys are saying the regionals didn't spawn for you, which is the exact opposite thing that happened to me. I was finding Ponyta's and Geodudes and almost everything from Gen 1 that I thought I would have to go fly to Arizona or some shit to get.
    The downside is that in the rush and excitement, I never bothered to look up what was coming next, so wasted a hundred candies powering up my Gyrados, Evolving another Porygon 2 just for kicks, and had been ignoring Rats and Pidgeys not knowing about needing a Third Ditto. So, whoops!

That's not what people mean when they say "regionals."

Regionals are pokemon that can only be found in specific hemispheres and continents. Like Mr Mime can only be found in Europe. Farfetch'd is in Asia. Kangaskhan can only be found in Australasia.

There's a few more. Here's a list.

Now, it's possible we'll eventually get the other regionals... there was a Farfetch'd event a few months back, and Zangoose and Seviper swapped locations. But Niantic doesn't seem to be in a hurry.

OHHHH, well okay now I know why you wanted em so bad.
    Follow Up Question, I legit never DID see things like Ponyta and Digletts and Geodudes outside of launch when the things were easier to hatch (I'm still sitting at 45 candies for my Onix.).
    Are things like Fire Pokemon still only available in more humid areas than Central New Jersey, or have things changed in the months since I stopped playing?

Ponyta, Digletts and Geodudes are pretty common here in Orange County CA. Especially Geodudes.

Follow Up Question, I legit never DID see things like Ponyta and Digletts and Geodudes outside of launch when the things were easier to hatch (I'm still sitting at 45 candies for my Onix.).
    Are things like Fire Pokemon still only available in more humid areas than Central New Jersey, or have things changed in the months since I stopped playing?

Was weather a thing when you stopped playing? Fire Pokemon will show up when it's sunny.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited April 2018

Was weather a thing when you stopped playing? Fire Pokemon will show up when it's sunny.

IIRC fire pokemon in general are really high concentration in hot climate areas. That's why there are a lot of them in California (I think also it's pretty mountainous and thus the rock pokemon). This is even before the weather stuff - they have always had different biomes that tend to spawn certain types more frequently. Ex: electric pokemon tend to spawn in industrial/city type areas, water pokemon spawn near water (duh), etc. I think Ice Pokemon tended to spawn near underground water sources (we always had this one area that would just spawn a ton of Jynx). Back when I still played this game religiously I was really interested in this because it was a kind of cool thing that not many people were looking at too much.

BTW, I assume this is still the case, but regions that could be a biome were determined by OpenStreetMap zones. In fact, Pokemon nests are generated over named parks/leisure zones in OpenStreetMap (this is why occasionally you could see a nest that didn't match up with Google Maps - it's because OpenStreetMap defined the park differently). Or if you ever wondered why a park wasn't a nest - it probably wasn't given a name in OpenStreetMap. You can actually add one yourself to OpenStreetMap and watch the park become a nest eventually (depending on how often Niantic updated nest locations or scanned OpenStreetMap or something)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Man, I feel like I'm learning way too much NOW, but I'll just chalk this up to everyone being far more educated in general.
    SPEAKING OF! I have more questions!
    New Jersey is weird. If I'm in Atlantic City there's stuff every five inches of all types. But there's National Parks where nothing spawns, but a tiny suburb in the middle of nowhere has plenty of prominent pokestops and spawns.
    What determined why some towns could have nothing for miles, but a tiny township has gyms and stuff? Is learning how to use OpenStreetMap the key to changing that, or is that place doomed to be a wasteland?

Man, I feel like I'm learning way too much NOW, but I'll just chalk this up to everyone being far more educated in general.
    SPEAKING OF! I have more questions!
    New Jersey is weird. If I'm in Atlantic City there's stuff every five inches of all types. But there's National Parks where nothing spawns, but a tiny suburb in the middle of nowhere has plenty of prominent pokestops and spawns.
    What determined why some towns could have nothing for miles, but a tiny township has gyms and stuff? Is learning how to use OpenStreetMap the key to changing that, or is that place doomed to be a wasteland?

Spawns are associated with cell phone usage. Niantic has a map of where people use their phones more and they spawn more mon there. Spawns also happen around stops.

Stops come almost entirely from ingress, which is niantics first augmented reality game. They are called portals there and players can submit new locations in the game. (they go through a vetting process by other players and a team of volunteers. If a certain area has a certain number of stops, one of them is upgraded to an arena.

Openstreetmap is used to decide the kind of spawns and if there is a nest or not. Nests are areas where certain Pokemon spawn in bigger numbers and the species rotates every two weeks. Not all species nest but nests allow e. g. desert Pokemon to spawn near water etc.

So basically if you want to make an area good for Pokemon go, you can check OSM if everything is tagged correctly. Especially parks should be tagged as parks. Please don't tag stuff wrong just to get better/other spawns, OSM has other uses than pogo.
    But the main thing would be to start playing Ingress until whatever level allows you to submit stops. This takes a couple weeks or months iirc. Then you just have to get your stuff approved and wait until it gets ported over to pogo (also a couple months).

Recent data mines found stuff in pogo that points to a stop submission system in the future, so maybe this will be easier someday. :bzz:

Mewtwo raid went great yesterday, so many people showed up, and someone was smart enough to organize us all by team. My wife and I went in assuming we would not catch it, then we both got it on the first throw. A chunk of the group then wandered over to a nearby Absol raid and we got that as well. Good times.

Triple stardust on catches (and just catches) for the next week thanks to Earth Day.

The triple stardust is only when catching Grass, Ground and Water pokes

Though rarer Grass, Ground and Water mons now appear more frequently

Also, shiny Wailmer was added

Yeah, I caught a wild larvitar today. That was ... unexpected.

• Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    Magikarps are spawning again for the Earth Day event. Time to get em if you missed them last time boys (and girls) :D