As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dad of War: Axe Me About My Son[God of War]

• DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    ED! wrote: »
    Dracil wrote: »
    I feel misled on the backtracking stuff, based on what I understand.
    You actually *can't* backtrack much of the game until after you just about (or do) beat the game, including an early stat boost item. So it's a pretty sucky feeling to know I'm gonna be a little underpowered the whole game.

I'm. . .not sure that's true. I can backtrack to every area I've been to so far. I've only opened up the map so to speak, but I can absolutely go back to the beginning of the game. Now there's nothing there (I think there was an item I saw), but beyond that you can definitely go back, especially if you're talking about
    the health upgrade
    . Maybe I'm missing something.

EDIT: And the game just got bigger. Just got to
    Alfheim. I honestly thought we were only going to be in Midgard and Asgard (as 43 of the 51 Odin Ravens are on Midgard. Nope.

Wait, how? Specifically there's two parts I feel I can't go back through right now.
    Yeah specifically the health upgrade.

1) So after the cutscene with Atreus and the bridge, I couldn't figure out how to go back up. This is right after you get the light runic attack and it drops you in an area with a bunch of enemies to use it on.

2) I'm in the Lake of the Nine and I can't go back to the Witch's house and thus back to everything else? I can go to the cave and there's like a small dock and a red glowing thing.

When I was looking at it last night it seemed like a lot of people had the same question. I also never unlocked any of the early mystic gates, and they're also one-way anyway until the so-called late game so I don't think I can use that either.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    God of War 3 was the game I bought a PS3 to play. It was a great game, though I told myself no one game was worth getting an entire console for, and I expected I would buy many more PS3 games and it would be worthwhile in the end. I think I wound up buying 3 other PS3 games, 2 of which I regret owning (Castlevania 2 and DmC).

I haven't gotten a current gen console yet. With GoW out, the temptation is strong. Dare I repeat history? (Actually I've made a large list of a number of current gen games already, so I'm not too worried about not having a worthwhile library - God of War may just be the last push to finally getting the console).

H9f4bVe.png
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Kratos' axe brings memories back of the Conan the Adventurer animated series I used to watch as a kid, where some of the characters had those Star Metal weapons that returned to them on command. I'm loving it.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    I missed a collectible in the tutorial area and it's bugging me. Hopefully you can get that later but eh.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Oh my god, the dad moments in this are so good, both positive and negative.

Early spoilers, just after first axe upgrade:
    he's afraid or reluctant to touch his son out of affection. It's very sad.

And then Atreus makes a shot by himself, and you feel pride--and you see he dropped his knife, and Kratos makes that dad sound, that "harrumph, we're going to talk about THIS later"

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Oh my god, the dad moments in this are so good, both positive and negative.

Early spoilers, just after first axe upgrade:
    he's afraid or reluctant to touch his son out of affection. It's very sad.

And then Atreus makes a shot by himself, and you feel pride--and you see he dropped his knife, and Kratos makes that dad sound, that "harrumph, we're going to talk about THIS later"

The dad feels have been incredibly strong in this so far. You can tell this game was created by a group of people who have matured and have their own families now. It's very authentic and incredible well written and acted.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I feel misled on the backtracking stuff, based on what I understand.
    You actually *can't* backtrack much of the game until after you just about (or do) beat the game, including an early stat boost item. So it's a pretty sucky feeling to know I'm gonna be a little underpowered the whole game.

I'm. . .not sure that's true. I can backtrack to every area I've been to so far. I've only opened up the map so to speak, but I can absolutely go back to the beginning of the game. Now there's nothing there (I think there was an item I saw), but beyond that you can definitely go back, especially if you're talking about
    the health upgrade
    . Maybe I'm missing something.

EDIT: And the game just got bigger. Just got to
    Alfheim. I honestly thought we were only going to be in Midgard and Asgard (as 43 of the 51 Odin Ravens are on Midgard. Nope.

Wait, how? Specifically there's two parts I feel I can't go back through right now.
    Yeah specifically the health upgrade.

1) So after the cutscene with Atreus and the bridge, I couldn't figure out how to go back up. This is right after you get the light runic attack and it drops you in an area with a bunch of enemies to use it on.

2) I'm in the Lake of the Nine and I can't go back to the Witch's house and thus back to everything else? I can go to the cave and there's like a small dock and a red glowing thing.

When I was looking at it last night it seemed like a lot of people had the same question. I also never unlocked any of the early mystic gates, and they're also one-way anyway until the so-called late game so I don't think I can use that either.

I'll have to check when I can get back to the overworld, but I swear I didn't have any trouble going backwards.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    My favorite dad moments so far have been his awful "stories" when they're in the boat.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Well, I'm out until I can grab the game. I don't want to read anything even remotely spoiler-adjacent, because I want to go in as in the dark as possible.

sig.gif
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Heavy Draugr are a pain in the ass. Revenants too.

Challenging ain't no joke — I can't imagine what the hardest difficulty is like.

Oh I finally got the story item that lets me track quest markers.

Time to go everywhere except where the quest marker is.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    More Metroid than Vania. Requiring certain tools to access certain areas has always been a trope of the series.
    Cantido wrote: »
    Oh wow Kratos. Nice life lessons:
    Sidequest to find a drawf, and they come across a Soul-Eater. They see that the dwarves severed hand is attached.
    Atreus: "Well now we know what happened. No need to fight it."
    Kratos: "No, we will fight it."
    Atreus: "What! Why?!"
    Kratos: "Because you are afraid."

Kratos's dad-ing is on point in this so far.
    When Atreus lost the knife while hunting that boat I was honestly impressed.

“Would this make it easier for you to cut that root?

“Oh no...if I’d lost that-“

“You DID lose it”

Also all the times Atreus asks “I wonder what happened here? And Kratos just replies “follow the clues” and you get to listen to Atreus piece things together is super interesting. I’m glad they’re sticking to a very deliberate and consistent dynamic between the two.

metaghost wrote: »

Challenging ain't no joke — I can't imagine what the hardest difficulty is like.

More abilities. It gets more manageable when you unlock crafting/upgrading.

• JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    Got my copy, can't wait to play when I get home.

Found a great hype video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmudHehrvvc

steam_sig.png
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    The side area storylines are just as interesting as the main quest so far.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I could be playing this but nooooo I gotta be an adult and work. Boo!

• NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Started on Challenging and dying A LOT, but starting to get it. They really throw you right in huh

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • timhodgetimhodge AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I really can't believe how amazing this game is. I'm on that one island in the Lake of Nine and Atreus goes "is that a [bleep]? I've never seen one so close!" And I'm thinking "oh, did he find a little statue? But then why would he say he'd never seen--" and then everything exploded and an amazing thing was at the top of the stairs.

0877-0596-8498 | Swirlix, Dedenne, Floette
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    My favorite moment so far.
    Atreus spots a partially submerged water wheel and says “Oh is that a water wheel?I guess it’s more of an underwater wheel right now.”

Kratos quietly lets out an amused “heh”

Atreus:” Did you just laugh?”
    Kratos:”No.”
    Atreus:”But..”
    Kratos:”I do not laugh.”

Seething with rage right now. Fuck elves.

• soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Man, I am so hyped for this game. I understood the series as over-the-top juvenile in tone originally, which I could deal with but rolled my eyes a lot. Beside all the very impressive gameplay and technical achievements of the game, I'm really excited to have a side-kick gently mocking him for it. Why I don't own this already I don't know. (Oh yes I do, I'm finishing Far Cry 5 and making myself finish a game before buying the next is how I stay sane)

• milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    metaghost wrote: »

After having been at work all day, then driving home, making dinner, cleaning out a bunch of crap from the garage for the spring pick-up tomorrow morning, and putting my youngest kids to bed, I finally got around to playing this game. I told my 8 year old son he could watch because, you know, bonding. I am playing it on the hardest difficulty (Give Me God of War) and can confirm that it is no fucking joke. I literally played the very first fight for at least 20 minutes. It took me another 10 or so to get past the second big pack of Draugr. I enjoy playing things on the hardest difficulty setting, because that really forces me to understand how the game works -- how to block and counter effectively, how to read enemy animations and dodge / punish appropriately, etc. So, I definitely had a good idea of what I was getting into.

But even having said that, yeah ... this game is an absolute fucking menace on Give Me God of War.

I did beat the first "boss" on my second try, though. And the first HOLY SHIT BOSS on my first.

So, you know, steady improvement.

milk ducks on
  • Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    This is very cool and good. I still haven't hit the hub area but I hope I do before I need to go to bed tonight. Some incredible animations and sound design.

• NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Glad I saw people sticking with Challenging, it gets way better as the game slowly teaches you some new tricks like blocking, dodging, and so on

Also the shield parry is so cool, and incentive enough to not cower behind it

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I just finished a horrible puzzle at the end of a long hall of horrible puzzles interspersed with horrible monsters, and it ended up being a dead end with just a chest. I was gonna get mad, but it ended up holding a Talisman of Bayonetta Witch Time.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
    edited April 2018
    Ooooooooooooh, so Kratos' own character level is also based on the overall LVL stat on all of his equipped gear(enchants included), not the raw stat increases. And upgrading gear also increases its LVL. His character level is what's measured against the level of the enemies he fights and determines how much damage they deal/take. That explains so damn much.

I feel like the game could explain that better at the outset.

Donnicton on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Yeah I’ve been super conservative with upgrading stuff because I have no idea how plentiful some of this stuff is and when you might suddenly get a rare/epic or whatever. I’m still consider d level 1, even though my actual stats are pretty high.

Yeah it turns out to be a bad idea because it's like trying to fight above your level in an MMO, enemies get gigantic all-around modifiers against you as the level difference increases, regardless of your stats.

• pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    This game is excellent. I was hesitant at first mostly because of the combat, which didn’t seem to be my cup of tea (mostly because of the camera angle), but I’m finding it satisfying and not at all frustrating. I think what’s impressing me most is the restraint in storytelling. Most games with this setting and pedigree would want to hit you over the head with names and foreshadowing and grandiose imagery but this one is keeping things close to the chest and trusting that you’ll be on the hook without a clear picture of what it’s going to be, which I really dig.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    I’ve got a question about an early encounter in the spoiler.
    What actor plays The Stranger? He seems really familiar, but I can’t exactly remember. I tried to look it up but I think I just got spoiled on something about him and I don’t want to know about anyone else in the game for now.

steam_sig.png
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    JMan711 wrote: »
    I’ve got a question about an early encounter in the spoiler.
    What actor plays The Stranger? He seems really familiar, but I can’t exactly remember. I tried to look it up but I think I just got spoiled on something about him and I don’t want to know about anyone else in the game for now.

It's
    Jeremy Davies, who I know from Justified as the weird twitchy guy with the mullet

Challenge mode in the beginning is only a pain because you don't have much offense and your gear is terrible. Once you get past that first stage and unlock some Leviathan skills (like the running attacks and the R1 stun) things start to open up a bit. Combat can still get hairy but I've found that once you're around level 3, you're in the groove.

Speaking of combat I would recommend: (Spoilers for when the world first opens up)
    Doing the quest for the spirits that can not rest. You will open up Muppetheim, which contains an arena. Here you can practice with nearly insta cooldown abilities and rapidly spawning enemies of many varieties. It is a good way practice your twitch skills in combat as well as some of the trickier skills and parry timings

"Brok? But how did you-"
    "None of your fuckin' business, now get in here."

New favorite character.

• ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I died.

I'm dying.

After avoiding all the videos and spoilers i could i finally started playing
    And opened my first small wooden chest at the start of the game Oh my god i can't stop laughing

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Oh man this game REALLY opens up when you reach...uh..."The Hunter's Dream". All strength every day!

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    So 1.11 update downloaded but notes on what was in it.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    So how long until there's a supercut of every single time Kratos says 'Boy'?
    I'd say it should get faster every time he says it, but it'd only be 2 minutes long.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    So I'm still pretty sure @ED! is wrong about being able to go back to the beginning before the late/end game unless I'm missing something.
    I now have both magic arrow types, the water has now dropped twice and I can go back to the Witch's House, but the brambles block the path to go back any further.

But before I even got the second magic arrow I couldn't even go to that point.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I'm starting to think this game might be the best thing I've ever played.

I also can't decide which is better, knowing about the plot of the first three games and Kratos' past or going in with this being someones first God of War and not knowing anything about Kratos' past and being as clueless as Atreus, always wondering and trying to pick up on clues and pry it out of him.

Viskod on
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    The combat in this game feels so good.

I have a skill related question i'm not 100% on
    I spent my first chunk of XP on the charged frost axe throw ability and it says added effect 0/100 Cooldown and i'm not sure what that means or how to go about raising that to unlock the extra effect