As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] The FAQ has arrived

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    This last weekend my brother and I played 40k Necrons VS Custodes
    His Wardens tore though the monolith with ease he lost nearly all of it for it though

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I'm not saying I'm not going to use it in my armies. I will....there's some gimmicks I want to try with invasion beams.

For the point cost, though, there's better stuff and that's why it's bad.

[edit] Adding on. If you deep strike it, it's 381 points that can't come in until turn 2. It's gimmick of transporting in units from the Tomb World means those can't be brought in until turn 3 (and even then, one unit unless stratagem'ng it).

If you don't deep strike it, it only moves 6 inches and the weapons have a max range of 24 inches.

I like Monoliths, but they suck.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Per the wording on that, that also means the Relics that teleport also still work. Yay Necrons and Thousand Sons!

Ok next question can I warptime a unit that I dark matter crystal seeing as that apparently isn’t a deepstrike?

I’m assuming yes, in which case Tzaangor bomb is back on baby.

• Options
    Norgoth wrote: »

Ok next question can I warptime a unit that I dark matter crystal seeing as that apparently isn’t a deepstrike?

Dark Matter Crystal is done at the end of the movement phase, but before psychic phase, so not unless you move the Tzaangors a max of 9 inches away from the Sorcerer.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    GK, Orks and Necrons just got a small buff

So GW on their facebook page just released a list of those excepted from the deep strike beta rule.

Orks' "Da Jump", C'tan Shard of the Deceiver, GSC, and interceptor squads are immune. Gate of Infinity is unaffected in my mind if da jump is also able to be used.

I'm honestly now completely confused by the distinction between reinforcements, tactical reserves and abilities which remove units from the game and then allow you to set them up again.

It basically seems to boil down "they count as reinforcements when we say they do, otherwise they don't, fuck logic". I'm glad that they've clarified this because Grey Knights at least really need the help, but it's still a pretty odd ruling.

I think it comes down to:

Is it deployed on the board? You can use a deep strike like ability. If it is not aka in the reserves at the start of turn 1 you cannot.*

*Except for GSC as they are the exception.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I think it comes down to:

Is it deployed on the board? You can use a deep strike like ability. If it is not aka in the reserves at the start of turn 1 you cannot.*

*Except for GSC as they are the exception.
    I'd hit agree under your post, but want to agree more strenuously. That's exactly how I'm reading it.

• Options
    edited April 2018

Dark Matter Crystal is done at the end of the movement phase, but before psychic phase, so not unless you move the Tzaangors a max of 9 inches away from the Sorcerer.

I mean it is possible. Hide Tzaangors till turn 2.

DMC them with a termi sorc.

Cast away.

I think this needs clarification though but it sounds fine to me.

Edit:

Nope there is a GW comment in there-

Question:
    Because currently, this poster is in direct conflict with the standing core book errata on how units that are removed from the table and redeployed should be treate d(ie, they are stated to be treated in all ways as units that are in the reinforcement que)

GW reply:
    Hey Justin, we can assure you that it isn't. This post was written with the studio and this is direct from the studio regarding that FAQ: 'treat these units as having arrived from reserves' is shorthand for 'these units cannot move again for any reason (including Warptime) and counts as having moved for firing heavy weapons.'.

Warptime Tzaangors still dead.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I don't know it's just odd to think of this iteration of 40k is in Beta

• Options
    edited April 2018

I mean it is possible. Hide Tzaangors till turn 2.

DMC them with a termi sorc.

Cast away.

I think this needs clarification though but it sounds fine to me.
    Well, yeah. Essentially, though, you can't do a Tzaangor bomb on turn 1. You can do it on turn 2 as the normal deep strikes work there too (so wouldn't even need to hide them, just webway them), but as DMC only works on one unit, you can't do it turn 1 (unless again only 9 inches away from the sorc).

[edit] Oh wait, says can't warp time them after deep strike. Yes, ignore the above. Your method would work, Mazzyx, but turn 2.

Bizazedo on
  • Options
    Welp hah.

Still, 8 inch charges ain't bad?

• Options
    I think DMC+20 rubric with cannons+bolters will still be nasty turn 1. Lots of -2 fire power and you can give them VotLW for wounding everything pretty much on a 2/3/4/5.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Welp hah.

Still, 8 inch charges ain't bad?

Rerollable too with powers/strategems. Still too risky for tournaments probably.

Makes my LGT list this probably

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Chaos - Thousand Sons) [48 PL, 893pts] ++

+ HQ +

Ahriman on Disc of Tzeentch [9 PL, 166pts]

Daemon Prince of Tzeentch [9 PL, 180pts]: Malefic talon, Wings

+ Troops +

Chaos Cultists [3 PL, 44pts]
    . 8x Chaos Cultist w/ Autogun
    . Chaos Cultist w/ special weapon: Heavy stubber
    . Cultist Champion: Autogun

Chaos Cultists [3 PL, 40pts]: 9x Chaos Cultist w/ Autogun

+ Elites +

Tzaangor Shaman [5 PL, 90pts]: Force stave

+ Fast Attack +

Tzaangor Enlightened [7 PL, 153pts]: Aviarch, 8x Enlightened, Fatecaster greatbows

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Chaos - Death Guard) [57 PL, 1098pts] ++

+ HQ +

Daemon Prince of Nurgle [9 PL, 180pts]: Malefic talon, Wings

+ Elites +

Foul Blightspawn [4 PL, 77pts]

+ Fast Attack +

Foetid Bloat-drone [8 PL, 158pts]: 2x Plaguespitters, Plague probe

+ Heavy Support +

Plagueburst Crawler [8 PL, 140pts]: 2x Plaguespitter, Heavy Slugger

+ Dedicated Transport +

Chaos Rhino [4 PL, 91pts]: Combi-bolter, Combi-melta

++ Total: [105 PL, 1991pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular

I feel like some of the phase stuff need an officially released chart I can laminate and bring to games... :lol:

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    This new development has me looking at my GK list, to see if it went from hopeless to "hmm maybe".

I'm trying to make it legal with regards to the other aspect of the Tactical Reserves change - now in addition to half your units being on the table, it also has to be half your power level.

And goddamn, power levels are a mess... A 3 man Paladin squad is 10 PL, a 5 man is 19 PL and a 6 man squad would be... 32 PL?! Because they just leave it as "take up to 7 more, +22 PL" anything greater than 5 but less than 10 is kinda absurd.

So if the Interceptors start on the table they can shunt up as usual, and I get the one GoI. If I deploy a big unit of Paladins on the table and Gate them then that solves my PL problem, they almost account for all the deepstriking characters themselves. But then I have no auras, most critically no Warlord Trait reroll charge range aura. I checked and while any model can be nominated the Warlord, only characters gain Warlord traits.

If I gate up the Warlord with the Interceptors then they get the reroll to charge (and hits), but I don't know if I can balance the Power Levels. I might be able to do it if I make the GMDK the Warlord, but I always tried to avoid doing that because he's such a huge target, a Brother Captain Warlord can hide among the other units.

Ultimately I think the only workable solution would still be just waiving your first turn, just spend the entire time hiding and turn 2 move everything up at once. Otherwise you're just letting your opponent fight half your army at a time, without buff auras.

• Options
    edited April 2018

Rerollable too with powers/strategems. Still too risky for tournaments probably.

+ HQ +

+ Troops +

+ Elites +

+ Fast Attack +

Tzaangor Enlightened [7 PL, 153pts]: Aviarch, 8x Enlightened, Fatecaster greatbows

+ HQ +

+ Elites +

+ Fast Attack +

+ Heavy Support +

+ Dedicated Transport +

If you can find a reason / way to move the cultists to Death Guard, they get 6 inch more of a range on their rapid fire! :).

Solid list, seems balanced. Who's the warlord, DP of Nurgle?

Bizazedo on
  • Options

+ HQ +

+ Troops +

+ Elites +

+ Fast Attack +

+ HQ +

+ Elites +

+ Fast Attack +

+ Heavy Support +

+ Dedicated Transport +

If you can find a reason / way to move the cultists to Death Guard, they get 6 inch more of a range on their rapid fire! :).

Solid list, seems balanced. Who's the warlord, DP of Nurgle?

I cannot take a Supreme Command and LGT is using all beta rules, so this is he only way to get all three Tsons characters.

In this case a Tsons DP is Warlord for high magister, for two +1 casters and the helm of the third eye.

• Options
    edited April 2018

I cannot take a Supreme Command and LGT is using all beta rules, so this is he only way to get all three Tsons characters.

In this case a Tsons DP is Warlord for high magister, for two +1 casters and the helm of the third eye.

I realize why you're doing that, so I only offer this suggestion because I like debating / discussing.

You have a ton of Plague Weapons that can advance decently and a Daemon Primarch of Nurgle with wings. Arch Contaminator would be devastating to bring and can't be Denied. Give him Suppurating Plate and he becomes amazing in melee, more durable, and can spend 1 CP to get the relic back for the TSons.

Bizazedo on
  • Options

I realize why you're doing that, so I only offer this suggestion because I like debating / discussing.

You have a ton of Plague Weapons that can advance decently and a Daemon Primarch of Nurgle with wings. Arch Contaminator would be devastating to bring and can't be Denied. Give him Suppurating Plate and he becomes amazing in melee, more durable, and can spend 1 CP to get the relic back for the TSons.

Yeah this is a very valid point. I’m going to be testing it both ways over this weekend. I considered the cultist bomb, but honestly spamming DPs seems like the best bet.

This list can also throw out five smites all cast on the 5, before counting the five additional powers (6 with CP) it can throw out on top.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Woot~! We're back under a year to top out a thread! Suck it, 6-7th edition!

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    From what little I've played, and running my rather slim DG army, a tanky character in melee with suppurating plate makes for a bad day for my opponents. It's a solid relic.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    The other thing I think I might steal from Nick Nanavanti instead of my spearhead is a supreme command with 2 Tson DPs and Ahriman. Its comes to 491 points for 7 psyker spells including gaze of fate. And all three are characters and get to hide from shooting. Its a nice way to grab a CP plus also gain a ton of utility and some beat sticks. Probably one of the best additions to an army you could make.

I don't like how the game allows HQ choices of one faction that then lead troop choices of another faction. It doesn't feel right.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I bought a box of Aggressors. I plan to build them with the Boltstorm gauntlets to max out any possible IF benefits.

So now I have enough regular marines to fill out a company, and the Primaris marines from Dark Imperium plus these aggressors. Then there is the ironclad dread, three drop pods, two landraiders, one rhino and a predator thats needs repairing.

That sounds like enough options, right?

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I bought a box of Aggressors. I plan to build them with the Boltstorm gauntlets to max out any possible IF benefits.

So now I have enough regular marines to fill out a company, and the Primaris marines from Dark Imperium plus these aggressors. Then there is the ironclad dread, three drop pods, two landraiders, one rhino and a predator thats needs repairing.

That sounds like enough options, right?

Needs more Dreadnoughts (always more Dreadnoughts).

Also, have you thought about flyers?

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    So, I've been brainstorming my Raven Guard list.
    Does this look fluffy and somewhat usable?
    ++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [71 PL, 1031pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

**Chapter Selection**: Raven Guard

+ HQ +

Captain in Gravis Armor [7 PL, 134pts]: Boltstorm gauntlet, Master-crafted power sword
    . Warlord: Storm of Fire

Lieutenants [4 PL, 67pts]
    . Lieutenant: Master-crafted boltgun, Power sword, The Primarch's Wrath

+ Troops +

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 91pts]: Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, Bolt rifle, 4x Intercessor, Intercessor Sergeant

Scout Squad [10 PL, 104pts]
    . Scout Sergeant: Chainsword, Storm bolter
    . 5x Scout w/Boltgun
    . Scout w/Heavy Weapon: Missile launcher

Scout Squad [10 PL, 132pts]: 7x Camo cloak
    . Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Sniper rifle
    . Scout w/Heavy Weapon: Heavy bolter
    . 5x Scout w/Sniper Rifle: 5x Sniper rifle

+ Elites +
    Sternguard Veteran Squad [14 PL, 147pts]
    . Space Marine Veteran: Combi-plasma
    . Space Marine Veteran: Combi-plasma
    . Space Marine Veteran: Special issue boltgun
    . Veteran Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Combi-plasma

+ Fast Attack +

Inceptor Squad [10 PL, 177pts]: 2x Inceptor, Inceptor Sergeant, Plasma Exterminator

+ Heavy Support +

Devastator Squad [11 PL, 179pts]: Armorium Cherub
    . 3x Space Marine
    . Space Marine Sergeant: Boltgun
    . Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Lascannon
    . Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Lascannon
    . Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Heavy bolter
    . Space Marine w/Heavy Weapon: Heavy bolter

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [51 PL, 961pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

**Chapter Selection**: Raven Guard

+ HQ +

Kayvaan Shrike [8 PL, 150pts]

+ Elites +

Aggressor Squad [12 PL, 148pts]: 3x Aggressor, Aggressor Sergeant, Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets/Fragstorm Grenade Launcher

Contemptor Dreadnought [8 PL, 165pts]: Combi-bolter, Dreadnought combat weapon, Kheres pattern assault cannon

Vanguard Veteran Squad [8 PL, 150pts]: Jump Pack
    . Space Marine Veteran: 2x Lightning Claw
    . Veteran Sergeant: 2x Lightning Claw

+ Flyer +

Stormraven Gunship [15 PL, 348pts]: Twin assault cannon, Two Hurricane Bolters, Two Stormstrike Missile Launchers, Typhoon missile launcher

++ Total: [122 PL, 1992pts] ++

• Options
    Cut the sternguard and go to six aggressors. Sternguard are not good, they cost more than a regular marine, already over costed, for a slightly better gun. If you want superior range bolters, just take intercessors for cheaper. For carrying special weapons they are way too pricy and fragile.

Everything else is fine. Vanguard are a little eh, but they aren’t as overpriced as sternguard, actually getting a better stat line for the price, and they are super fluffy and will do at least something.

Maybe swap the Gravis captain for a regular captain with jumpack and the teeth of terra. Very effective combat monster, and fluffier.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I just played against Custodes for the first time and fuck me are they durable. An entire shooting phase from my full army managed to take a single wound off one biker. :/

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Wow repulsors are expensive.

I was fiddling with the idea of a Primaris armored spearhead list and 3 repulsors are almost 1k points.

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »

I was fiddling with the idea of a Primaris armored spearhead list and 3 repulsors are almost 1k points.

They are mini-landraiders. Decently tough and have the fly keyword and loaded with way too many guns.

And die quickly to most anti-tank.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    novaspikenovaspike Registered User regular
    That last part is kinda true to everything though. Good d6 damage rolls mess things up, and damage reduction rules are pretty rare.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

They are mini-landraiders. Decently tough and have the fly keyword and loaded with way too many guns.

Yeah, my fear is that i’ll end most Turn 1s down all my repulsors. Still, I really like the list conceptually. It’s a real shame that chapter tactics don’t apply to vehicle for marines. Iron Hands successor chapter seem the logical fit but it doesn’t apply to vehicles.

• Options

Yeah, my fear is that i’ll end most Turn 1s down all my repulsors. Still, I really like the list conceptually. It’s a real shame that chapter tactics don’t apply to vehicle for marines. Iron Hands successor chapter seem the logical fit but it doesn’t apply to vehicles.

If you bring three some will survive till turn 2. The deep strike changes will help a lot here too I think. So they may be a bit better than they were.

I think a Primaris Iron Hands army would be really hard to budge. Probably wouldn't want to do the UM castle but instead move out and hold the middle of the board with intercessors, tanks, and redemptors just absorbing fire with your FNP.

But I think right now you would need scouts too. All marine armies need that early easy to establish outer wall for board control.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I just played against Custodes for the first time and fuck me are they durable. An entire shooting phase from my full army managed to take a single wound off one biker. :/

The Top post I made was one of the surprising things I learned how tough they were
    He only lost his squad after he killed the monolith and I rushed in the save it so nearly half my force was caught killing him

There are things I need to fill in some of the gaps in my necron force like A ghost ark, command barge, the triarch stalker and others
    I just don't know though as this is my sideline army and yet because I have been building my tyranid force it's become a frequent played one

• Options
    Lost to an Astra Militarum list today as Death Guard. Few things as it's the first game since the FAQ.

I really like the increased CPs. It feels like I can use a lot more stratagems now and don't feel the need to hoard. I had 13 as Death Guard in a 2k game.

Fleshmowers are only okay, but not as good as hoped.

Battle cannons on Leman Russes seem pretty good when the guy is rolling well.

Sometimes I need to be way more aggressive.

And the Poxwalker nerf hurt more than I thought it did.

• Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular

I had a pretty similar experience. A full pink horror unit and exalted flamers couldn't kill a single model in the first volley.

Things had swung really hard in my favor after a few turns of smites and exalted flamer shots. Every dead model was a hard break for him while I had ranks and ranks of throwaway daemons. He ultimately won on kill points because of the unit count difference though :/

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    I'm not saying I'm not going to use it in my armies. I will....there's some gimmicks I want to try with invasion beams.

For the point cost, though, there's better stuff and that's why it's bad.

[edit] Adding on. If you deep strike it, it's 381 points that can't come in until turn 2. It's gimmick of transporting in units from the Tomb World means those can't be brought in until turn 3 (and even then, one unit unless stratagem'ng it).

If you don't deep strike it, it only moves 6 inches and the weapons have a max range of 24 inches.

I like Monoliths, but they suck.

It did just fine for me yesterday when I played with them in 2k against Blood Angels and got to choose sides/ deployment and he takes both an 8 man unit of Sanguinary Guard and a Stormraven with Death Company. I won the rolloff for deployment type, and I wanted to be able to respond rapidly to threats so I took Frontline Assault and put the Monolith, a Lord, and Lychguard with shields into Deepstrike.

He goes first, brings the Stormraven with Lemartes and friends over to my lines. My turn, I drop the Monolith within 12" of the Raven (I'm using Mephrit) and start shooting. By Turn 2 I used 1 of my 13 CP to drop the Lord and Lychguard at the same time and another cp to yank some Immortals over from across the map and additional cp to heal it as it takes damage.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    If I wanted to learn more about the lore behind the Druhkari, what Black Library books should I purchase?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    If I wanted to learn more about the lore behind the Druhkari, what Black Library books should I purchase?

They madesome Path of [Eldar Stuff] books awhile back. But they don't delve suuuuper hard into Dark Eldar lore or history, even the Dark Eldar centric ones. Those will give you some good insight into Dark Eldar culture and society, though.

The best books to nab are probably the codecies, maybe see if you can find an old 2nd ed one online to browse through for fluff stuff. The 5th edition one was also a treasure trove of history and fluff for them.

• Options
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    It did just fine for me yesterday when I played with them in 2k against Blood Angels and got to choose sides/ deployment and he takes both an 8 man unit of Sanguinary Guard and a Stormraven with Death Company. I won the rolloff for deployment type, and I wanted to be able to respond rapidly to threats so I took Frontline Assault and put the Monolith, a Lord, and Lychguard with shields into Deepstrike.

He goes first, brings the Stormraven with Lemartes and friends over to my lines. My turn, I drop the Monolith within 12" of the Raven (I'm using Mephrit) and start shooting. By Turn 2 I used 1 of my 13 CP to drop the Lord and Lychguard at the same time and another cp to yank some Immortals over from across the map and additional cp to heal it as it takes damage.
    Agreed, if they bumrush you and enter your deployment zone and you aren't going first, it works like it used to.

• Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Did some commanders...
    CPWM23K.jpg?1Nh3zNBP.jpg?13cr5dLU.jpg?1YHphw1I.jpg?1

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Did some commanders...
    CPWM23K.jpg?1Nh3zNBP.jpg?13cr5dLU.jpg?1YHphw1I.jpg?1

T'au look so cool

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
This discussion has been closed.