As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Twilight Imperium 4e - Game 3: Round 6 - Status Phase / Game End

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Let me make sure that I understand this properly, Command tokens on fleet persist forever, command tokens on strategy are used for strategy cards and are lost when used, command tokens on tactics are used for moving ships around by playing them on the system you want to go to or build by playing on the system with the space dock and are lost at the end of the turn. Then in status phase you get two tokens back? So if you use all your non fleet tokens in round one, you can only take some combination of 2 actions on turn 2? Unless you steal them from fleet? Can a ship be moved several times through different activations?

38thDoE on steam
    πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€

• mindflare77mindflare77 OhioRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    @mindflare77 Ok, trying to understand this.

1. Right now i have 0/3 commodities. If you were to replenish using the strategy card, I would go up to 3/3.
    2. I can't spend commodites myself, but they help with trading power.
    3. I then turn around and give you 1 commodity, which turns into a trade good for you, and i go down to 2/3.

Is this correct?

Edit: Also, don't we have to be neighbors for this to be possible?

1. Yup, you've got it.
    2. Correct. You can technically replenish your own with the trade strategy card or its secondary, but whoever has the Trade card can replenish them for you.
    3. Correct. You give me a commodity, putting you at 2 commodities. That commodity becomes a trade good for me.
    4. Usually, yes. However, because I'm Hacan, I can trade with anyone. I can also trade action cards, for those interested.

And to be clear, that's an offer for everyone.

mindflare77 on
    8BFpSWC.png

PSN/Steam: mindflare77
    38thDoe wrote: Β»
    Let me make sure that I understand this properly, Command tokens on fleet persist forever, command tokens on strategy are used for strategy cards and are lost when used, command tokens on tactics are used for moving ships around by playing them on the system you want to go to or build by playing on the system with the space dock and are lost at the end of the turn. Then in status phase you get two tokens back? So if you use all your non fleet tokens in round one, you can only take some combination of 2 actions on turn 2? Unless you steal them from fleet? Can a ship be moved several times through different activations?

Yes. Fleet supply tokens will stay the same and require nothing to do so. Command counters on strategy are used for the secondary effects of strategy cards. Command counters in tactics are used to activate systems. The system you activate is the one in which you wish to perform an action this turn, be that moving in, fighting, invading, or building.

During the status phase, you will get 2 command counters back. You can also then move your tokens around on your mat as you please. Hypermetabolism, a level 2 green tech, gives you an extra counter per round. The other way to get command counters is to use Leadership. The primary ability gives you 3 and you can use the secondary ability. The secondary ability is such that, for every 3 Influence you spend, you get a command counter.

A system that has a command counter in it cannot have ships or units move out of it. You cannot pick up infantry or fighters while passing through, or move ships out of it. There are action cards (Unexpected Action, I think) that allow you to pick up a command counter, thus unactivating the system and letting you do with it as you please. The primary ability of Warfare also lets you do this.

8BFpSWC.png

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Which means when you use a command token to build somewhere, you can't move them out until the next round unless you have warfare/unexpected action.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    @Brody is correct. The secondary of Warfare will allow you to build in your home system without placing the counter, but that's pretty much the only exception.

8BFpSWC.png

Oh, I meant you can build in a system, then primary of warfare to pull your token back out, and then the new ship's can then move.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

@mindflare77 Ok, trying to understand this.

1. Right now i have 0/3 commodities. If you were to replenish using the strategy card, I would go up to 3/3.
    2. I can't spend commodites myself, but they help with trading power.
    3. I then turn around and give you 1 commodity, which turns into a trade good for you, and i go down to 2/3.

Is this correct?

Edit: Also, don't we have to be neighbors for this to be possible?

1. Yup, you've got it.
    2. Correct. You can technically replenish your own with the trade strategy card or its secondary, but whoever has the Trade card can replenish them for you.
    3. Correct. You give me a commodity, putting you at 2 commodities. That commodity becomes a trade good for me.
    4. Usually, yes. However, because I'm Hacan, I can trade with anyone. I can also trade action cards, for those interested.

And to be clear, that's an offer for everyone.

Also of note. You can not have more than your max commodities, if you have 2 left over and refresh, you get one more, provided your max is three.
    The Trade primary actions bestowed refresh can not be refused.
    Trade Goods are super useful, they count as resources or influence, and are directly tied to at least two objectives.

• LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    Technology

@38thDoe

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Leadership
    @El Skid

38thDoE on steam

@mindflare77 I'll probably take that trade offer.

Also I can apparently give people a free tech if that interests anyone.

38thDoE on steam

I am most definitely interested in free tech. What would you be looking for in return?

8BFpSWC.png

You have to be someone's neighbor, you give them your racial promissory note, and when you research a technology, if they don't have it, they get the tech as well and give the promissory note back.

• El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    @38thDoe you and I are neighbours and Im sure peaceful cooperation is in both of our best interests- are you interested in trading promisary notes? I seem to be somewhat lacking in technology somehow..

El Skid on
    Also we choose Politics for lack of a better option.

Brody wrote: Β»
    You have to be someone's neighbor, you give them your racial promissory note, and when you research a technology, if they don't have it, they get the tech as well and give the promissory note back.

If they want. If you end up researching a tech that they don't want, they can hold onto the note until you hit one they do want.

@38thDoe and @El Skid neighbors requires both parties to have control of systems adjacent to each other. Nobody starts as neighbors, unfortunately. Hacan can trade with people they aren't neighbors with, and their racial promissory note is to allow one other race to do the same.

1, Leadership. 38thDoe
    2, Diplomacy. Brody
    3, Politics. El Skid
    4, Construction. Nobody, it gains a trade good.
    5, Trade. Mindflare77
    6, Warfare. @Zombie Hero
    7, Technology. @Lykouragh
    8, Imperial. Nobody, it gains a trade good.

@MrBlarney for an update if he'd like. @38thDoe for first action.

8BFpSWC.png

Do I have to use the card I picked first?

@mindflare77 Trade goods I guess? Is that all we can really do?
    @El Skid I think that works out. I'm hoping not to be blundering around fighting like a savage so I might hang onto the card and not use it if that's okay. If you get trade goods would you like to trade those as well?

38thDoE on steam

edited April 2018
    @38thDoe Promissory notes are also tradeable. Each race has a unique one, and then we all have another four that identical (Support for the Throne, Ceasefire, Trade Agreement, and Political... Something). You can also make promises about moving places or attacking places or voting certain ways, or to use action cards or strategy cards at certain times.

I'll offer you a 4:4 trade good trade after refresh for your promissory. I’m also across the galaxy from you and thus a lesser threat to be giving tech to.

And no, you don't have to use your strategy card first. You can use it whenever you want during your turn, you just have to use it before you pass.

mindflare77 on
    8BFpSWC.png

During your turn you can:

Play your strategy card,

Activate a system with a Tactics token,

Play an applicable Action Card,

Pass (only if you have already played your Strategy card this round.)

• MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Round 1: Start of Action Phase

The Ghosts of Creuss: Select the (2) Diplomacy Strategy Card.
    The Emirates of Hacan: Select the (5) Trade Strategy Card.
    The Arborec: Select the (6) Warfare Strategy Card.
    Federation of Sol: Select the (7) Technology Strategy Card.
    Universities of Jol-Nar: Select the (1) Leadership Strategy Card.
    Sardakk N'orr: Select the (3) Politics Strategy Card.

Trade Goods are placed on the (4) Construction and (8) Imperial Strategy Cards.

Order of Play
    Universities of Jol-Nar (38thDoe): (1) Leadership
    The Ghosts of Creuss (Brody): (2) Diplomacy
    Sardakk N'orr (El Skid): (3) Politics
    The Emirates of Hacan (mindflare77): (5) Trade
    The Arborec (Zombie Hero): (6) Warfare
    Federation of Sol (Lykouragh): (7) Technology

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Do we have action cards?

Isn't a 4:4 trade good trade mutually beneficial on its own?

Activate Lazar Sakulag
    Move 1 Carrier, 1 fighter, 2 ground troops from Jol Nar
    Land a ground force on each planet adding it to the Fishy Empire. (Temporarily the largest in the galaxy!)

38thDoE on steam

edited April 2018
    Do I have to use the card I picked first?

@mindflare77 Trade goods I guess? Is that all we can really do?
    @El Skid I think that works out. I'm hoping not to be blundering around fighting like a savage so I might hang onto the card and not use it if that's okay. If you get trade goods would you like to trade those as well?

Sounds good- we can each expand to the planet on out mutual border and then we’ll officially be neighbours and able to exchange the notes and trade our goods.

And you can do your actions in any order- you could conceivably put off using your strategy card for many actuins by using action cards that say β€œplay as an action”, and/or activating systems using command counters... or choose to play it right away.

I’d keep an eye on the secondaries of strategies that other players are going to play (at some point- they will eventually have to) and decide from there whether you want to get your moves in before they do the strategy or after.

Example: if someone had taken the warfare strategy then you would have a build in your home system without activating it, so you might have wanted to delay attacking someone until those fleets were built,,, or since someone does have diplomacy (whose secondary lets you unexhaust planets) you might want to take planets early on so you can unexhaust them and use them this turn.

El Skid on
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Do we have action cards?
    You do not start the game with Action Cards. Action cards are primarily gained through the Politics card (primary and secondary) and from the Status Phase.

Action is on @Brody.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Activate Abyz/Fria. Move one carrier with 2 gf, and 2 destroyers. Land on both planets

@El Skid

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    What does "production 1" mean on the arborec infantry?

Edit: NVM, found it. I can produce X units, where X is the production value of the ability. Rule 59

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
    Arborecc grows like a weed

I picked them for the theme, but it does look like they play quite a bit different from the other factions.

Steam
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I picked them for the theme, but it does look like they play quite a bit different from the other factions.

You can move and produce, which is amazing

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    With Arborec, you should plan to build something just about every time you move. Even if it's only a couple more infantry or a destroyer, that free production action is one to take advantage of whenever you can.

With Arborec, you should plan to build something just about every time you move. Even if it's only a couple more infantry or a destroyer, that free production action is one to take advantage of whenever you can.
    Gonna be tough with only one planet, i think. At least this round. Unless some space cats want to hook me up with resources.

Still, pretty happy to have Warfare.

Steam
    We are always happy to help with cash flow issues. For a price.

8BFpSWC.png

edited April 2018
    I think the only thing i would have to offer is commodities, and that is only if you refresh me.

Edit: which would probably look something like,
    -You refresh my commodities, and then i give you one trade good
    -then we could do somehting like 1 for 1 or 2 for 2 on commodities, assuming your commodities are refreshed as well.

Although I could be talked into moving some of these promissary notes.

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Bear in mind you can only trade with neighbours

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    *neighbors and me. Hacan get to ignore the neighbor restriction. Hacan can also trade action cards.

Free refresh, then a 4:3 and your racial promissory? Gives you 4 trade goods to work with.

8BFpSWC.png

I prefer not to give away my racial promissary note

Steam
    Duly noted. 3:3 and Ceasefire?

8BFpSWC.png

Okay

Steam
    edited April 2018
    Activate Bereg/LirtaIV system
    Move 1cruiser, 1 carrier carrying 3 infantry
    Land 2I on Bereg, 1I on Lirta IV
    T/F/S now 2/3/2

@mindflare77 up next

El Skid on
    edited April 2018
    Play Trade. Gain 3 trade goods. Refresh @Zombie Hero for free, trade 3 of my commodities for 3 of Arborec commodities and Arborec Ceasefire.

My offer to the rest of the board stands: I'll refresh you if you then immediately pay me a commodity. I am open to further offers for promissory notes as well. To anybody who takes me up on the offer, I still have 3 commodities left to trade out as well.

This leaves me at 6 trade goods, 3 commodities, 0 action cards. 3 Tactical, 3 Fleet, 2 Strategy.

@Zombie Hero for next.

@Lykouragh, @38thDoe, @Brody, and @El Skid for secondary, my deal, or passing on the secondary.

mindflare77 on
    8BFpSWC.png

Yes I will give you one commodity for a refresh.

38thDoE on steam

@mindflare77 I only have 3 commodities so giving up 1 to get two is a pretty raw deal for me. Is there anything else we might be able to work out... even future considerations where I’ll pay you back a small favour later?