As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A question about ban mechanics.

SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
So, just a little something I'm curious about. I've noticed that sometimes, users seem to be able to post for a while after their ban is announced. Is there a "time delay" on bans going into effect?

pa_sig.jpg
SpaceDrake on

• Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited November 2006
    SpaceDrake wrote:
    So, just a little something I'm curious about. I've noticed that sometimes, users seem to be able to post for a while after their ban is announced. Is there a "time delay" on bans going into effect?

The time delay is mods going to click the button. It works the other way too. People will be banned and have no clue why until the mod remembers to post about it.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2006
    Nope, it just means that the mod announced the ban before performing it. I banned myself an hour ago for kicks and it went through right away. There's also an annoying feature of the banning system that sometimes fucks up the ban and takes a few minutes to fix.

Tube on
  • Options
    LinksvilleLinksville Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Yeah, I hope alpha fixes that or makes sure it's not present in the new forum.

Linksville on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Aroduc wrote:
    SpaceDrake wrote:

The time delay is mods going to click the button. It works the other way too. People will be banned and have no clue why until the mod remembers to post about it.

Chances are if someone screwed up enough to get banned then they have a good idea what they did. It isn;t like the rules are all top secret around here.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    anyprophetanyprophet Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Or you could be banned because you think the jail system is stupid.

anyprophet on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    anyprophet wrote:
    Or you could be banned because you think the jail system is stupid.
    You could also be banned for complaining about moderator decisions in an on-topic thread.

I'm not saying this is happening to anyone right now, but hey, it's right there in the rules threads in pretty much every forum. So you could be.

Captain K on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    See? The Defense rests, your honor.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    anyprophetanyprophet Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    K: I was referring to Imran. He wasn't banned because of the post he made. So, hypothetically, if you had not told him why he was banned, he would have assumed it was for the post he made.

anyprophet on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2006
    Banning is also what happens when people stop giving a shit about getting jailed.

Echo on
  • Options
    Soviet WaffleSoviet Waffle Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    During the H/A threads where people act like Jack Asses. I don't think people realize the iron fist will come down on you (And go up in you) when you screw around in there

Soviet Waffle on
    League of Legends: Studio
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Nope, it just means that the mod announced the ban before performing it. I banned myself an hour ago for kicks and it went through right away. There's also an annoying feature of the banning system that sometimes fucks up the ban and takes a few minutes to fix.
    Wait, huh? You can ban yourself? A, I didn't know that. B, who unbanned you, yourself or someone else. B1, if you unbanned yourself, what the fuck?

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    mtvcdm wrote:
    Wait, huh? You can ban yourself? A, I didn't know that. B, who unbanned you, yourself or someone else. B1, if you unbanned yourself, what the fuck?
    He probably just set a 5-minute expiration on it.

Bans expire automatically, unlike jailing.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    mtvcdm wrote:

Actually Tube has direct database access.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    mtvcdm wrote:

Oh, yeah, I forgot about that.

It'd be easier than setting the expiration.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Thanatos wrote:
    mtvcdm wrote:

Mordrack wrote:
    Sshh, Tube might accidentally subnet ban the whole north east coast again.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    JCMJCM Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Very interesting ban system, at least you uys makeit work well, unlike the pvp forums, where theres only a perma-ban, and too much spam and off-topic posts.

Do you guys have a "noose" thread ala the CAD forums, with the users who have been banned, with links to their "crime" and the period of the ban?

I found that very useful. Anyway, keep up the modding.

JCM on
  • Options
    ManyorcasManyorcas Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    JCM wrote:
    Very interesting ban system, at least you uys makeit work well, unlike the pvp forums, where theres only a perma-ban, and too much spam and off-topic posts.

Do you guys have a "noose" thread ala the CAD forums, with the users who have been banned, with links to their "crime" and the period of the ban?

I found that very useful. Anyway, keep up the modding.

*Points up at the stickies in this forum section*

There's your ban thread right there.

Manyorcas on