As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Painting Miniatures] vs the unending tide of grey plastic

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Also, I've watched a dozen videos and CANNOT get the eye lens the way I like it :mad:

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    Also, I've watched a dozen videos and CANNOT get the eye lens the way I like it :mad:

You can watch a million videos but you won't improve without actual practice.

It's a very easy trap to fall into. I know from experience.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Highlight -> glaze will hide any wobbly spots and mistakes but will soften the highlight. I prefer it though since it photographs better for that crucial internet fame.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
    Badablack wrote: »
    Highlight -> glaze will hide any wobbly spots and mistakes but will soften the highlight. I prefer it though since it photographs better for that crucial internet fame.

Ugh... "Awesome's" are really important

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Test painting the a Skitarri cloak black (Stygia forge world) tonight after dinner while my wife did some tax/budgeting stuff.

She told me I need to actually finish some of my "little army men". I told her I'd finished a few so far... she said "No... their bases. You haven't done any of their bases and I want to see how they look when they're complete"

.........guess I'm buying something to base with this week :lol:

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Test paint for my Ultramarines
    nVs1Yvs.jpg?2

Edge high lighting is tough y'all. I don't hate the outcome (it looks better from table distance than a close up does), but I think I'm going to avoid it for the rest of my troops. I also used the wrong wash I think. I used Nuln Oil but it darkened the model more than I'd like. I'm going to do my next model with Drakenhoff Nightshade and see if that keeps the blue a bit brighter.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Ugh, and looking at that makes me want to try painting another chapter style. I could do Howling Griffons. I already have practice with yellow and red. Or I could do Invaders, since I like their OD Green look, and could use these vaunted RG rules everyone is talking about.

Or I could just add them to my Imperial Fists since they look really good as Fists.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    I was just thinking last night how awesome it would be to build, just for fun, a really detailed squad or two of veteran Astra Militarum. Each soldier an individual, with some back story.

And then remembered that there's basically no good way to make female Imperial Guard without being a master greenstuff sculptor :(

How about using Eschers as a base model for a squad of veterans?

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Still I would like plastic imperial guard {I am not calling it's random latin name} but expanding it beyond cadia and having all the parts work with each other so you can get a look you want with only a few boxes mixing matching

• KoregKoreg Registered User regular

I do this, and if the glaze hides too much highlight do a second highlight that's thin to emphasize it.

That only happens with important models though

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    I was just thinking last night how awesome it would be to build, just for fun, a really detailed squad or two of veteran Astra Militarum. Each soldier an individual, with some back story.

And then remembered that there's basically no good way to make female Imperial Guard without being a master greenstuff sculptor :(

I hear the Necromunda Spiders, or the Lucky 7's, are still recruiting.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular

Aren’t they a little... nekkid for the Emperor’s army?

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

Aren’t they a little... nekkid for the Emperor’s army?

*cough* Sisters Repentia *cough*

u7stthr17eud.png
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    So I'm realizing I really should paint my Gravis Captain in sub assemblies. Mostly so I can paint the cape and head with the pieces apart. For his body/head this is easy, I'll mount him to his base and use the citadel handle...but when I see people painting sub assemblies I see them using various devices to hold the sub pieces. Sometimes I think it's toothpicks attached to a base? How are they keeping the model bit itself attached to the "post"? Any tips or tricks for holding/gripping pieces for sub assembly painting? I'm sort of having trouble describing what I ever mean, hopefully you folks get it. I should go find pictures or something...

e: Example of what I mean
    image%2B(25).jpeg

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    I am kind of upset for the last 3+ weeks I wanted to paint but with work being shit or the weather I have not been able to
    It's upsetting

GnomeTank wrote: »
    So I'm realizing I really should paint my Gravis Captain in sub assemblies. Mostly so I can paint the cape and head with the pieces apart. For his body/head this is easy, I'll mount him to his base and use the citadel handle...but when I see people painting sub assemblies I see them using various devices to hold the sub pieces. Sometimes I think it's toothpicks attached to a base? How are they keeping the model bit itself attached to the "post"? Any tips or tricks for holding/gripping pieces for sub assembly painting? I'm sort of having trouble describing what I ever mean, hopefully you folks get it. I should go find pictures or something...

Well a small thing of the oil based clay works so does rubber cement or white glue works

• ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    I use pva and pins. Drill a small hole where the part will attach and glue some wire in with PVA. Glue the wire into the cork the same way.
    It's fairly stable, but any real force will detach the dried PVA from the plastic.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I am kind of upset for the last 3+ weeks I wanted to paint but with work being shit or the weather I have not been able to
    It's upsetting

I feel ya.

I've been trying to sell my house and buy a new one, so I had to pack up all of my painting shit to get my current house ready to show. That happened in the middle of March, and even though my house is currently under contract, I can't bring my painting shit out of storage in case my buyer backs out and I need to show the house again.

Once this whole bullshit process is done, my wife and child aren't going to see me away from my painting table for a month.

• KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    I found time to paint. Go me.

w0grs9b4lg4a.jpg

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I did a color test today and I don't know if I'm 100% happy but it's close. I think either the gun should be a different color or there should be more white armor panels but I'm just a guy who copies official color schemes and tweaks a couple things so what do I know
    31h3ptlg2ckg.jpg
    n5dlomwfh6zj.jpg

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I think that looks good! If you really want more white armor plates maybe something on the backpack (middle panel perhaps?) but I'd also say it is fine as is. Kneepads are also a popular choice for off color panels, maybe hands.

People who don’t paint the Primaris faceplates alternate colors are dead to me, it looks so good.

Who was that guy that had a whole army of space marines done in the colors of every Transformer? Did he ever make an Optimus out of a Primaris?

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    People who don’t paint the Primaris faceplates alternate colors are dead to me, it looks so good.

Who was that guy that had a whole army of space marines done in the colors of every Transformer? Did he ever make an Optimus out of a Primaris?

I did find this on reddit the other day, no idea if this is who you are talking about:
    1ln15l1ktqr01.jpg

Inquisitor wrote: »
    I think that looks good! If you really want more white armor plates maybe something on the backpack (middle panel perhaps?) but I'd also say it is fine as is. Kneepads are also a popular choice for off color panels, maybe hands.

This is something I ran into when painting my first plague marines.

I couldn't find any sources for what their power packs should look like.... all the material with photos is of the fronts of the new models.

After some guesswork they turned out ok.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • VikingViking Registered User regular
    edited April 2018

I couldn't find any sources for what their power packs should look like.... all the material with photos is of the fronts of the new models.

on the official GW store there is usually a full rotating model as one of the screenshots for each model/kit, just have to click and drag to see the model from behind.

Viking on
    steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
    Viking wrote: »

on the official GW store there is usually a full rotating model as one of the screenshots for each model/kit, just have to click and drag to see the model from behind.

Whelp.... that's simple enough I should have thought of it myself.

Thanks Viking! :lol:

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    When I first started painting long long ago, I just assumed their backpacks were metal with no colored areas for the same reason. I don’t think they even had a webpage then, let alone those fancy rotating pictures.

Not that full 360 views would have helped much, I was priming things into blobs and painting with K-Mart pots.

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Just finished painting some Tzaangors. Just in time to never use them! (I guess I have an AoS army now?)

Y5XTSdi.jpg

You can always run them as superior looking cultists. I thought tzaangors were pretty good for Thousand Sons though?

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Also Age of Sigmar is super fun.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    You can always run them as superior looking cultists. I thought tzaangors were pretty good for Thousand Sons though?

They were good because you could deepstrike them turn one, warptime them six inches, and then auto succeed the charge because they get +1”. Now you can’t do that they are T4 5++ save guys who have to footslog it across the board.

They do seem crazy in AoS though, this unit of twenty gets five attacks each.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »

They were good because you could deepstrike them turn one, warptime them six inches, and then auto succeed the charge because they get +1”. Now you can’t do that they are T4 5++ save guys who have to footslog it across the board.

They are still good in 40k. They hit turn two not turn 1 and aren't guaranteed a charge but the +1 is still there and they have a better chance than most units.

I use them in AoS though and they are fantastic but have two major weaknesses:

5+ save ain't great even with 6+ fnp verse normal wounds and even with 2 wounds.

Bravery is trash on them and you just lose a few before they start running scared or you start burning destiny dice like candy to keep them around. But also if you keep a shaman near by and use his spell you get bodies back which again is amazing.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    I did find this on reddit the other day, no idea if this is who you are talking about:
    1ln15l1ktqr01.jpg
    Should be an axe for lore reasons.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Hi, everyone. Been awhile. Doing a dump of some of the Space Wolves I've painted in the last year:

edit: hmm. used to be able to host this before. gimme a sec.
    edit:

3jJBcof.jpg
    su5tYDa.jpg
    nsi0rAQ.jpg
    ctufQl8.jpg
    YjvXbDL.jpg
    GOiMOA6.jpg
    idW8Dyf.jpg

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    edited April 2018

Me?
    I have an Optimus made of a regular marine and I've got another one built as a custom Terminator that just needs painting. (he's weilding a lascannon)

I did use some Primaris marines recently to make some of the early 90's era figures like Headmasters, Targetmasters and Action Masters, (aka the ones that didn't transform)
    I just got sidetracked by Star Wars Legion mini's but my goal is to have every bot from the 84 cartoon done by the end of the year. i'm probably about 85%of the way there and im now largely doing the guys that only appeared in an episode or two.

GaryO on
    GaryO wrote: »

Me?
    I have an Optimus made of a regular marine and I've got another one built as a custom Terminator that just needs painting. (he's weilding a lascannon)

I did use some Primaris marines recently to make some of the early 90's era figures like Headmasters, Targetmasters and Action Masters, (aka the ones that didn't transform)
    I just got sidetracked by Star Wars Legion mini's but my goal is to have every bot from the 84 cartoon done by the end of the year. i'm probably about 85%of the way there and im now largely doing the guys that only appeared in an episode or two.

Dude... photos.

I need to see Primaris Headmasters

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    The GW Way™ is to edge highlight everything, all the time, and edge highlight the edge highlights for important dudes or extra-shiny bits. this is dramatic and emphatic but not to everyones’ tastes, obviously.
    Personally, I prefer the ‘struck edge’ highlight, where you only edge the bits that would logically be lit up by the imaginary light source you pointed at the model. This is more naturalistic and works nicely as a combo with azimuthal highlighting techniques.
    Depends on the scale of the project, probably. If its for a single showcase model, i definetly l pick a light source.

Less so for an army. GW's 'highlight everything' approach is about consistancy across their collections, so no matter how the models are arranged in photography they all have the illusion of consistant light source, regardless of what angle a model is positioned.

Yeah, there's not a lot of critical thought to 'highlight everything' but that means you're not losing time in decision making either. Is it an edge? Its an easily methodocal process to move across many models. Highlight, move on.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Norgoth wrote: »

They are still good in 40k. They hit turn two not turn 1 and aren't guaranteed a charge but the +1 is still there and they have a better chance than most units.

I use them in AoS though and they are fantastic but have two major weaknesses:

5+ save ain't great even with 6+ fnp verse normal wounds and even with 2 wounds.

Bravery is trash on them and you just lose a few before they start running scared or you start burning destiny dice like candy to keep them around. But also if you keep a shaman near by and use his spell you get bodies back which again is amazing.

You burn your candy? And here I've been eating it like a chump. Well, I'm off to buy matches.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Oh man, dos dreads!

edited April 2018
    Couple more drops. Some power armoured elites I finished late last year!

(plz observe techno-zangief on the mid-left)

Also I think I posted my Leman Russ before, but I finished Freki and Geri recently and wanted to get some shots side by side.

yxbeuLm.jpgCocvl7E.jpg1yrJ6a5.jpg

Matrias on
This discussion has been closed.