As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Comey's Goddamn Book [A Higher Loyalty]

12345679»

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    In short, the law is a series of choices, the ocean isn't.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    spool32 wrote: »
    Also, just watched that interview and the guy really does come off as entirely genuine. I like every single one of his answers.

Comey is a guy who believes he's a good moral person but is unwilling to admit the amount he plays politics and thus unwilling to admit that he fucked up things because he was playing politics. He might be genuine in his own self-delusion, sure. Or alternatively he's very interested in creating the image of being genuine and moral.

shryke on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Personally, I think he's lying and did it because he's a partisan Republican who knows the Clintons are monsters and the Weiner laptop would finally reveal it. But I understand how others could come to different conclusions. I just don't think any of them are flattering to him.

His press conference back in 2016 just dripped with his distaste for Clinton which is why he did the whole thing imo and is what motivates his actions later as well.

And then he tries to wrap that up in the image he cultivates for himself that he may or may not actually believe himself.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Anyway, the only stance with any actual integrity was to follow normal procedure, not comment on an investigation, then definitely not comment on an investigation in its very early stages involving a presidential candidate eight days before a damn election, and then stand up for his organization's rules and procedures rather than caving to its critics pre-emptively to try to inoculate the FBI against those criticisms.

Needless to say, he did not choose that path.

I have all of the feels about James Comey and the effort to rehabilitate him.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Anyway, the only stance with any actual integrity was to follow normal procedure, not comment on an investigation, then definitely not comment on an investigation in its very early stages involving a presidential candidate eight days before a damn election, and then stand up for his organization's rules and procedures rather than caving to its critics pre-emptively to try to inoculate the FBI against those criticisms.

Comey walking into the New York office, gathering management and letting them know that any election oriented leaks coming out of there would mean they would all be working in the ass end of nowhere in dead end positions by the time it was election day - that would have been respectable.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    RedTide wrote: »

Comey walking into the New York office, gathering management and letting them know that any election oriented leaks coming out of there would mean they would all be working in the ass end of nowhere in dead end positions by the time it was election day - that would have been respectable.

Yeah, I hate that defense. "Rogue FBI agents at the New York office would have leaked anyway."

Then fire them for violating the damn rules. Or send them to Boise. Whatever. Be a good manager.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Looks like Comey's memos on his discussions with Trump were released to Congress, and the media has redacted copies:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/comey-memos-released_us_5ad93952e4b0e4d0715ecc05

Doesn't seem like there's any new information in here. Probably some salacious bits though. For example...
    The President then wrapped up our conversation by returning to the issue of finding leakers. I said something about the value of putting a head on a pike as a message. He replied by saying it may involve putting reporters in jail. "They spend a couple days in jail, make a new friend, and they are ready to talk." I laughed as I walked to the door Reince Priebus had opened.

• Options
    Noble defender of democracy!

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Noble defender of democracy!

Of course, reporters need to fear the law.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    What a swell guy, laughing at a joke about reporters getting raped in prison

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    What a swell guy, laughing at a joke about reporters getting raped in prison

He was very uncomfortable with the realization of just whom he’d put in charge of the military might of the USA.

• Options
    (this is all sarcasm btw fuck that hack)

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I don't think he was laughing because hw found that funny

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

What leads you to believe he wouldn't?

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

Based on that excerpt I'm not so sure. He's writing in first person, it's not someones opinion on his reaction, so he could easily have but a qualifier on it i.e. false, forced, nervous etc etc.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah I laughed doesn't put any input to say he was laughing nervously or uncomfortably. He literally heard a joke about reporters being put in prison on bs charges to be sexually assaulted and laughed about it. So maybe write that in your book James.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Comey memos in the Mueller thread. This is for his book.

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »

Isn't Comey still off-topic in the Mueller thread, though? The memos actual contents don't appear to have any additional relevance to the investigation.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    milski wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »

Isn't Comey still off-topic in the Mueller thread, though? The memos actual contents don't appear to have any additional relevance to the investigation.

Talk about them there.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Also, just watched that interview and the guy really does come off as entirely genuine. I like every single one of his answers.

Comey is a guy who believes he's a good moral person but is unwilling to admit the amount he plays politics and thus unwilling to admit that he fucked up things because he was playing politics. He might be genuine in his own self-delusion, sure. Or alternatively he's very interested in creating the image of being genuine and moral.

Nah, he's just trying (and failing) to cover his ass. Is all that matters. Trump might win, so might as well get some digs at Clinton, play both sides.

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

What leads you to believe he wouldn't?

We all know Trump was not making a joke, but being literal. It was surely Comey’s way of getting out of there without calling POTUS a fucking lunatic to his face, which is to say spineless.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Boy it sure does fucking infuriate me that Trump can't get right the name of the country where the attack that killed one of my best friends from childhood took place, I'll tell you what.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Yeah I laughed doesn't put any input to say he was laughing nervously or uncomfortably. He literally heard a joke about reporters being put in prison on bs charges to be sexually assaulted and laughed about it. So maybe write that in your book James.

Put in his book commentary and context about unreleased classified memos?

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I just finished reading the chapter on Stellar Wind, and that is some legit intense stuff. The entire Justice Department leadership was prepared to resign, Alberto Gonzales ignoring presidential orders, director Rice refusing to help reign it in, the race to George Washington Hospital, all of it.

9/11 really shook this country, but we let it get under our skin in a way that is far more corrosive than any threat from terrorism.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    9/11 really shook this country, but we let it get under our skin in a way that is far more corrosive than any threat from terrorism.

People have been saying this since the lead up to the Iraq War duder.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

Doesn't make it any less true. The Terrorists won the war on terror.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

There was never a war on terror, it was a war on America's idiotic mistakes in the middle east and their misguided attempts at building a buffer against the USSR. But no one ever brings it up because no one wants to acknowledge anything outside "YEAH MURICA FREEDOM".

• Options
    Sadgasm wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »

There was never a war on terror, it was a war on America's idiotic mistakes in the middle east and their misguided attempts at building a buffer against the USSR. But no one ever brings it up because no one wants to acknowledge anything outside "YEAH MURICA FREEDOM".

Not on topic