As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Homeowner/House Thread: It's going to cost more than you expect

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Ha, I just had to clean up the coneflower stalks leftover from last year

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Got the shower door installed today. Which is good, because the "walk-in" look is just stupid. But more importantly, got the arm mounted shaving mirror installed into the shower which is amazing and I am excited about.

I love walk in /wet room showers!

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    All winter my lawn has looked and felt like shit. Bumpy as fuck, with divets and holes everywhere thanks to the repeated freezing/thawing and high winds. Not to mention the brown grey colour.

I've now started to find patches of it turning green again.

Grass: hearty stuff. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Got the shower door installed today. Which is good, because the "walk-in" look is just stupid. But more importantly, got the arm mounted shaving mirror installed into the shower which is amazing and I am excited about.

...not sure if serious?

I mean, our bathroom's not designed for it - it's a cubicle shower I just wanted to move back in since I rebuilt it and hadn't got the door on yet. But ... seriously? I've never encountered one which felt comfortable to shower in - water just goes everywhere.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Whelp, I think my water heater broke after ~40 years. This'll be fun.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I planted a garden today.
    h4ksgqzdbkt5.jpg
    yqw42ow5cnrb.jpg

I found these sweet self-watering rolling planters that were perfect for what I had in mind. Sick of paying 10+ dollars for fresh herbs at the grocery, half of which would probably go bad before I could use it, I planted a sampling of the ones I use the most. To go along with the herbage I wanted some salad stuff. I got a tomato, bell pepper, cucumber and a row of romaine lettuce. The idea behind the planters is that I can just use a hose to fill the water reservoir every week or 2 and the soil will wick water up to the plants, preventing over-watering. If this goes as well as I hope, I've got enough room for 1 or 2 more planters.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

...not sure if serious?

I mean, our bathroom's not designed for it - it's a cubicle shower I just wanted to move back in since I rebuilt it and hadn't got the door on yet. But ... seriously? I've never encountered one which felt comfortable to shower in - water just goes everywhere.

I love them, and if I ever get a house (so probably not) I'm setting one up like that if at all feasible.

A couple of places I've been too had them, so I know what setup I want.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    All winter my lawn has looked and felt like shit. Bumpy as fuck, with divets and holes everywhere thanks to the repeated freezing/thawing and high winds. Not to mention the brown grey colour.

Not sure if you are concerned about it but I solve my lumpy lawn with a couple aeration treatments.
    Guy came by with a machine and did it for $40, front and back lawns.
    Got it done a few months apart and things are much smoother and healthier.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I planted a garden today.
    h4ksgqzdbkt5.jpg
    yqw42ow5cnrb.jpg

I found these sweet self-watering rolling planters that were perfect for what I had in mind. Sick of paying 10+ dollars for fresh herbs at the grocery, half of which would probably go bad before I could use it, I planted a sampling of the ones I use the most. To go along with the herbage I wanted some salad stuff. I got a tomato, bell pepper, cucumber and a row of romaine lettuce. The idea behind the planters is that I can just use a hose to fill the water reservoir every week or 2 and the soil will wick water up to the plants, preventing over-watering. If this goes as well as I hope, I've got enough room for 1 or 2 more planters.

Those look great!
    I never thought of rolling planters...

Edit: romaine lettuce grows amazing, just keep picking the leaves and it will make you like a thousand salads.

I got my garden ready today too and managed to mow the lawns.
    Yard work and 3 year olds is a fun time.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »

Not sure if you are concerned about it but I solve my lumpy lawn with a couple aeration treatments.

Tell me more about this man and his.... machine.

Did it pull big plugs it or was it a finer spike situation?

• Options
    edited April 2018
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Tell me more about this man and his.... machine.

Did it pull big plugs it or was it a finer spike situation?

It pulled tiny plugs. Smaller than what you'd see on like a school or sports field but still holes for stuff to settle and dry out or whatever.
    Doing the lawn used to be like driving over a rumble strip constantly but after its smooth.
    I shall be paying for it each year when he comes around.

He also took a cheque as I had no cash. A cheque! In 2017!

Aridhol on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Thanks. I've got a lawn that Jeep could model as a test track.

Not super high on my list, but would like to have a backyard i can enjoy.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    So i took a clipping of one of my trees with a growth on it in to a garden shop. Turns out i have a fungal infection on that tree and likely the one next to it.
    So now i get to clip the rest off, spray oil and copper on all the trees, and clean all my gardening tools with alcohol.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

...not sure if serious?

Yes absolutely. My parents have a real nice one. I've seen a couple in houses we've been looking at as well. Cleaning shower doors suuuuucks.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    yeah same. Tile everywhere, rain-shower head out of the ceiling, a little bench to sit, it's the best

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Walk in showers are great for sex too. Y'know. Just sayin'.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Just make sure there's good ventilation. Our walk-in shower has a fan outlet, but it's not over the shower itself, and the moisture doesn't clear out. I have to regularly clean the upper walls/ceiling to make sure we don't get mold.

Also, every time someone says "wet room shower" all I can think of is the bathrooms in the Philippines which is most certainly NOT the same thing as a walk-in shower. :P

• Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    The problem with overhead showers is the pressure just isn’t high enough.

I don’t want “rainfall” in my shower, I want “power washer”

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    Yeah I want hydro-exfoliation that makes soap irrelevant.
    I have removed every energy / water saver thing in my house because yeah I'm awful but also I'm clean as a whistle and when I have a shower it doesn't feel like a guy with a prostate issue pissing on me.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Just make sure there's good ventilation. Our walk-in shower has a fan outlet, but it's not over the shower itself, and the moisture doesn't clear out. I have to regularly clean the upper walls/ceiling to make sure we don't get mold.

It sounds more like a few things:

* Your fan is undersized for the room. Check some calculators to be sure
    * Your fan is starved for fresh air. Try cracking your bathroom door to see if that helps. The slight vacuum from the fan running will keep most of the moisture in the room. Conversely, try cracking a window.
    * You aren't leaving the fan on long enough after the shower is done. Generally, you want to leave it running 10-20 mins after the shower is shut off.

If you don't want to babysit the fan, install a push button timer where the switch is and go about your day. Your fan doesn't need to be right over the shower to work right (I would argue that could cause other issues such as rust and mold in the fan housing that would kill the fan early).

Just remember when it comes to air, if you want a room cleared out, you have to provide a fresh supply or it won't work; or take longer to accomplish.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    I'm with the "no walk in shower" crowd. Maybe I've only experienced poor examples, but I haven't used one that wasn't unpleasantly cold and drafty unless you're directly under the water flow. My ideal is a large, multi-head shower w/ frameless glass doors.

Of course, my actual house has the old 80s/90s standard convertible shower/tub stalls. Which seriously need a de-molding and re-caulking. Sigh. There's nothing more demoralizing than having to put work into parts of your house that you actively detest, but aren't (financially) worth going whole-hog with renovations to make them nice.

• Options
    The problem with overhead showers is the pressure just isn’t high enough.

I don’t want “rainfall” in my shower, I want “power washer”

Was just in my friends rainfall shower this weekend and it actually was pretty strong water flow and felt okay as someone who also prefers strong pressure

Then he mentioned it uses a TON of water per minute heh

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »

* Your fan is starved for fresh air. Try cracking your bathroom door to see if that helps. The slight vacuum from the fan running will keep most of the moisture in the room. Conversely, try cracking a window.
    * You aren't leaving the fan on long enough after the shower is done. Generally, you want to leave it running 10-20 mins after the shower is shut off.

If you don't want to babysit the fan, install a push button timer where the switch is and go about your day. Your fan doesn't need to be right over the shower to work right (I would argue that could cause other issues such as rust and mold in the fan housing that would kill the fan early).

Just remember when it comes to air, if you want a room cleared out, you have to provide a fresh supply or it won't work; or take longer to accomplish.

Fan is probably undersized, although I never looked into a calculator. But it's more location, I think.

Incredibly quick and dirty:

30366o1f917e.png

Fan is in a little outlet, over the toilet, around the corner from where the shower itself is. So even with the door open, the air goes up to the fan, but doesn't necessarily massively disturb the shower area.

8 months out of the year it's warm here, so I normally just leave the window behind the toilet cracked and that dries the room out just fine. It's only the winter that I really have a problem. The bathroom was renovated by the previous owners (by contractors, apparently, which makes this all the worse), and I've already found one MAJOR problem (floor was slightly raised, but the toilet wax seal wasn't raised accordingly so the toilet was just BARELY sitting on the wax seal - it wasn't a good seal and when i replaced the valve I shifted it enough that a little started leaking out when we'd flush. Thankfully the drip aligned with a recessed light downstairs so we noticed it without any drywall damage, but....ick. When we took out the toilet to fix it, there was no damage, just recent wetness, so we got lucky.

Anyway, all I'm saying is that if they missed THAT, I totally buy the fan size/location not being good enough. It's on my "fix this when I get bothered enough to do so" list, but not super high because most of the year just having the window open is sufficient.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I've seen bathrooms where the entire thing is just an open room and all of it is concrete or other waterproof stuff, no wood, and it's so great.

You can clean them with a hose.

I've thought about a greywater recycling (Shower to toilet seems most common) system if I purchase a house.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Grey water system would be great for plumbing and watering.
    I wonder how much it costs...

Edit: $3000-30,000
    IF your local government allows it which seems many don't :/

Aridhol on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Grey water system would be great for plumbing and watering.
    I wonder how much it costs...

Edit: $3000-30,000
    IF your local government allows it which seems many don't :/

You could just shit in your yard. That's basically the same thing, right?

• Options
    Hey it worked for space Matt Damon.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Staked out and waiting for the green light on the property line. Eventually I'll have a real backyard.

zRdNfe3l.jpg

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    is there any reason to apply for loan pre-approval to more than one place to start?

don't want to bash up our credit, but it might be nice to see two different results from two different loan places

Edit: question 2 - I assume both spouses should apply even if one spouse is currently not working?

So It Goes on
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    I don't think loan preapproval on multiple properties is a problem. Especially within a 30-60 day window

• Options
    We also found out three of our neighbors are selling this summer. Should be fun.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Assembling a new bathroom vanity, bought because it's supposed to be water resistant MDF.

2 observations:

1, the kick board back and back of the unit are all just chipboard which looks in no way water resistant.
    2. 2 of the damn screw fasteners just did that Chinesium "sheer right off down a plane of oxide" thing.

I'd forgotten why I have my overall aversion to buying nicer things, and this, this is the reason: because nicer things are still full of terrible, "it'll kind of work" design decisions but you paid hundreds more dollars for them.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    is there any reason to apply for loan pre-approval to more than one place to start?

don't want to bash up our credit, but it might be nice to see two different results from two different loan places

Edit: question 2 - I assume both spouses should apply even if one spouse is currently not working?

Loans have zero percent relevance to the places and 100 million percent of "can you pay us back". If your debt / service ratio is good they literally do not care.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    Kruite wrote: »
    I don't think loan preapproval on multiple properties is a problem. Especially within a 30-60 day window

Specifically for mortgages, all credit pulls within a window (I don't recall if it's 30 days or 60 days) count as one hard pull, with respect to your credit rating. So it's in your best interest to shop around to different mortgage offerors, and it won't affect your credit sny more than if you just checked with one offeror.

• Options

Fan is probably undersized, although I never looked into a calculator. But it's more location, I think.

30366o1f917e.png

Fan is in a little outlet, over the toilet, around the corner from where the shower itself is. So even with the door open, the air goes up to the fan, but doesn't necessarily massively disturb the shower area.

8 months out of the year it's warm here, so I normally just leave the window behind the toilet cracked and that dries the room out just fine. It's only the winter that I really have a problem. The bathroom was renovated by the previous owners (by contractors, apparently, which makes this all the worse), and I've already found one MAJOR problem (floor was slightly raised, but the toilet wax seal wasn't raised accordingly so the toilet was just BARELY sitting on the wax seal - it wasn't a good seal and when i replaced the valve I shifted it enough that a little started leaking out when we'd flush. Thankfully the drip aligned with a recessed light downstairs so we noticed it without any drywall damage, but....ick. When we took out the toilet to fix it, there was no damage, just recent wetness, so we got lucky.

Anyway, all I'm saying is that if they missed THAT, I totally buy the fan size/location not being good enough. It's on my "fix this when I get bothered enough to do so" list, but not super high because most of the year just having the window open is sufficient.

Ah, ok, that makes a bit more sense. You're right; the fan over the toilet won't do much with the shower.

My recommendation (if it's possible): install a second fan in the room, and put it between the door and the shower; not right over the shower. It will still get the job done and you'll worry less about mold and mildew inside the fan internals.

Also, if your attic/crawlspace is accessible, it's worth checking that the toilet fan was installed to vent directly outside. Depending on code, it's perfectly acceptible to just exhaust air into the attic (my mom's house is this way). It's not necessarily a big deal, but if a given attic isn't properly vented, you can get mold and mildew growing on the insulation.

• Options

Specifically for mortgages, all credit pulls within a window (I don't recall if it's 30 days or 60 days) count as one hard pull, with respect to your credit rating. So it's in your best interest to shop around to different mortgage offerors, and it won't affect your credit sny more than if you just checked with one offeror.

Cool, that's the info I was looking for. Thanks!

• Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular

Is there any reason to shop around during preapproval instead of later on in the process?

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Cauld wrote: »

Is there any reason to shop around during preapproval instead of later on in the process?

From my experience, Of the three I tried, I was getting different rates and closing costs from them all, and after having them run quotes on a couple different houses I tried to buy (lost the bids) I found one to be head and shoulders above the other two in terms of both professionalism and pricing. So they're the ones I'm now using on the house I just went under contract on (FINALLY. Freaking Tampa market is on fire, I lost one house to a cash buyer and the other to 23 other bids....).

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Staked out and waiting for the green light on the property line. Eventually I'll have a real backyard.

zRdNfe3l.jpg

I feel like you’ll be able to afford all the real backyards you want after inventing what appears to be a highly effective new doggo containment system...

• Options

30366o1f917e.png

Ah, ok, that makes a bit more sense. You're right; the fan over the toilet won't do much with the shower.

My recommendation (if it's possible): install a second fan in the room, and put it between the door and the shower; not right over the shower. It will still get the job done and you'll worry less about mold and mildew inside the fan internals.

Also, if your attic/crawlspace is accessible, it's worth checking that the toilet fan was installed to vent directly outside. Depending on code, it's perfectly acceptible to just exhaust air into the attic (my mom's house is this way). It's not necessarily a big deal, but if a given attic isn't properly vented, you can get mold and mildew growing on the insulation.

Attic is accessible, but this area isn't the easiest to get to so I never crawled over there. Anyway, I'm 99% sure there's a pipe for the fan which goes up to a covered inlet. When it rains, you can hear the "ping" off of the metal cover echo down to the fan specifically, and there's a couple little tiny chimneys with metal caps on my roof which I always assumed was what connected to the vent fans.

This discussion has been closed.