As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board games] I choose poorly.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    The diary of a settler of Catan

Could be worse; could have tried settling Spirit Island...

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Today I learned that posting in a BGG "Sessions" subforum is something that needs to get approval from other users, and apparently they are strict (or gate-keepery) about what they appove. Ah well, live and learn.
    What? That's weird. Probably why they are so bare.

Our group posts session reports as geeklists, because that makes it easier to read a whole evening (as opposed to just one game). For example: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/240017/grab-regular-tuesday-gaming-41018

It works pretty well for us.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    JonBob wrote: »
    Today I learned that posting in a BGG "Sessions" subforum is something that needs to get approval from other users, and apparently they are strict (or gate-keepery) about what they appove. Ah well, live and learn.
    What? That's weird. Probably why they are so bare.

Our group posts session reports as geeklists, because that makes it easier to read a whole evening (as opposed to just one game). For example: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/240017/grab-regular-tuesday-gaming-41018

It works pretty well for us.

Yea, I understand running reviews through Geekmod, but sessions seemed odd to me. Now I know why so many games have bare sessions sections. Doing a geeklist seems like a good idea; or maybe I'll just post the general. I've used BGG for many years but still understand so little of it...

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Hmm, I've never had any trouble getting anything through geekmod. I've also done it in the distant past. I don't think I rejected much, they have some guidelines on what they are looking for. Did you get rejected or has it just not posted yet? I think many games are so bare because not a lot of people want to write up their games in great detail. Also geekmod can be slow because the value of geekgold decreases over time and I don't think they've ever raised the rates on geekmod.
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    The diary of a settler of Catan

Could be worse; could have tried settling Spirit Island...

This is hilarious!

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I'm pretty sure they're peer reviewed with the intention of both cutting out a lot of chaff (people writing 1-paragraph session reports), and with the assumption that those who do bother to write session reports will make them worth reading.
    I don't think it's a bad system. I imagine you'd see a lot more dirt than gold if it was open season, and if you're looking at session reports you're probably looking for a specific something that would be much harder to find in that ecosystem.

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    TimFiji wrote: »
    I definitely retract my comment about the quality of Mayday card sleeves. I sleeved everything from 7th continent after I ordered 1000 of the standard sleeves and everything one fit perfectly except one which was split. They feel good too.

I've been sleeving my 7th Continent stuff with Mayday sleeves, and it really depends on how forgiving you're willing to be. I'd say about 5-10% of the sleeves are too tight, as in, I won't use them. Even the ones that are usable, you can easily tell some are tighter/looser than others. Some of their sleeves are sideways in the pack (?!). Some of the sleeves are noticeably taller. Some have bent corners. It's just, in my opinion, an unacceptable degree of inconsistency.

Contrast that with FFG sleeves where I have never, not even once, had a sleeve that felt noticeably different from any other.

• Options
    UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    Yea, it was rejected already (Irrelevant and Poor Form(?)). I think it was because (being an RPG-lite) I tried to present the session in a pseudo-rpg faction. My fault for not realizing Session posts were for geekgold and so had certain desired format (not that it tells you anywhere when posting in Sessions). Again, live and learn; just a little salty that something I spent a lot of time on to share with the small community around the game was in limbo for a couple days and then never posted.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    So, I've been playing a lot of Dinosaur Island lately. My girlfriend generally doesn't play worker placement games, but she seems to love this game. This has been a very sneaky way to get her to play a worker placement game. :D

The game itself feels more like a sandwich of two light worker-placement games and an auction game, with a scoring and cleanup phase afterwards. It's not very elegant (literally feels like someone tacking three mini-games together in a row that don't mesh well), but it's pretty straightforward despite all of the moving parts. The best part is all of the cute pink dinosaur meeples.

So far, I've won all of the games that I've played of it, but I'm sure that will change once people start figuring out my "system" for building my park and screwing that over with their actions. I think I'm a leg up because I've played a fair amount of worker placement games before, and most of my friends generally have not.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    So, I've been playing a lot of Dinosaur Island lately. My girlfriend generally doesn't play worker placement games, but she seems to love this game. This has been a very sneaky way to get her to play a worker placement game. :D

The game itself feels more like a sandwich of two light worker-placement games and an auction game, with a scoring and cleanup phase afterwards. It's not very elegant (literally feels like someone tacking three mini-games together in a row that don't mesh well), but it's pretty straightforward despite all of the moving parts. The best part is all of the cute pink dinosaur meeples.

So far, I've won all of the games that I've played of it, but I'm sure that will change once people start figuring out my "system" for building my park and screwing that over with their actions. I think I'm a leg up because I've played a fair amount of worker placement games before, and most of my friends generally have not.

Sounds like Great Western Trail only not as good.

The theme is great though
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qtFimKLoRY&t=700s

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Sounds like Great Western Trail only not as good.

The theme is great though
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qtFimKLoRY&t=700s
    I mean, one of the food shops is called "Clever Grill". One of the tilt-a-whirl rides is called "Jurassic Whirled". :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    PbP or tabletop simulator?

A PbP run in Tabletop Simulator!

Although if enough people who have TTS are interested, I'd totally be down for a live game on that.

Other TTS games I'd be down to play live with anyone:

Scythe
    Blood Rage
    Rising Sun
    Android (another I was considering hosting PbP here)
    Battle of Rogaku
    Inis

I like playing games on Tabletop Simulator!

I would also participate in a PbP.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Darric wrote: »
    TimFiji wrote: »
    I definitely retract my comment about the quality of Mayday card sleeves. I sleeved everything from 7th continent after I ordered 1000 of the standard sleeves and everything one fit perfectly except one which was split. They feel good too.

I've been sleeving my 7th Continent stuff with Mayday sleeves, and it really depends on how forgiving you're willing to be. I'd say about 5-10% of the sleeves are too tight, as in, I won't use them. Even the ones that are usable, you can easily tell some are tighter/looser than others. Some of their sleeves are sideways in the pack (?!). Some of the sleeves are noticeably taller. Some have bent corners. It's just, in my opinion, an unacceptable degree of inconsistency.

Contrast that with FFG sleeves where I have never, not even once, had a sleeve that felt noticeably different from any other.

Definitely noticed some tightness differences but nothing was bending the cards or anything so I didn't have an issue.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
      edited April 2018
      Yea, it was rejected already (Irrelevant and Poor Form(?)). I think it was because (being an RPG-lite) I tried to present the session in a pseudo-rpg faction. My fault for not realizing Session posts were for geekgold and so had certain desired format (not that it tells you anywhere when posting in Sessions). Again, live and learn; just a little salty that something I spent a lot of time on to share with the small community around the game was in limbo for a couple days and then never posted.

That's weird because my all time favorite session report is Irrelevant and Poor Form.
      https://boardgamegeek.com/article/49076#49076
      Also hilarious.

Probably just got bad moderators.

38thDoe on
      38thDoE on steam
      🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
      Randomly played One Deck Dungeon tonight. What a surprisingly delightful little box. Of course my friend and I are both fans of the Innovation/Mottainai/Glory To Rome multi-functional cards, so it automatically wins points with me for that. But it's also probably the best of them because it's not ... kinda dumb? Anyway, seems like a great little solo game, and a delight for two to puzzle through together. I think we got incredibly lucky, because we got to the dragon boss on my first game, and thus I'm reasonably sure we were cheating somewhere. ;P

• Options
      MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
      ArcSyn wrote: »
      PbP or tabletop simulator?

A PbP run in Tabletop Simulator!

Although if enough people who have TTS are interested, I'd totally be down for a live game on that.

Other TTS games I'd be down to play live with anyone:

Scythe
      Blood Rage
      Rising Sun
      Android (another I was considering hosting PbP here)
      Battle of Rogaku
      Inis

I like playing games on Tabletop Simulator!

I would also participate in a PbP.

We should get some kind of Tabletop Simulator scheduling group going. There is a TTS Discord channel. Any PA equivalent? If peeps are interested, PM me and we can try to get something going.

• Options
      Wow, the tutorial for the Terra Mystica app is terrible.

• Options
      VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
      Randomly played One Deck Dungeon tonight. What a surprisingly delightful little box. Of course my friend and I are both fans of the Innovation/Mottainai/Glory To Rome multi-functional cards, so it automatically wins points with me for that. But it's also probably the best of them because it's not ... kinda dumb? Anyway, seems like a great little solo game, and a delight for two to puzzle through together. I think we got incredibly lucky, because we got to the dragon boss on my first game, and thus I'm reasonably sure we were cheating somewhere. ;P

Getting to the boss isn't hard, especially the Dragon since you burn all that extra time at the start of each floor. Defeating the boss, OTOH...

Last time I played we took on the Lich. Wound up killing it with literally no health to spare; had one more damage been dealt we would have lost.

• Options
      Vyolynce wrote: »

Getting to the boss isn't hard, especially the Dragon since you burn all that extra time at the start of each floor. Defeating the boss, OTOH...

Last time I played we took on the Lich. Wound up killing it with literally no health to spare; had one more damage been dealt we would have lost.

We got to the dragon with 1 health each, and lost on the second round of combat when I didn't roll a blue 6. Filled up everything else. I let us down hard. :P

• Options
      edited April 2018
      Game mechanics that never caught on but you wish they did:

-ripple turn order

Someone claiming first player merely bumps everyone else one space down in the order. The only game I've seen that does this is Caylus. It's far superior to the more popular "clockwise from the first player" model, where people get screwed by being demoted to last based on the arbitrary seating order and the person to your left just happened to be the one who wanted to go first next round.

-compensated starting turn order

Games that randomly determine starting player order but then compensate the players the farther they are from first. Sadly, this is rarely done. It's a tad more common but off the top of my head Caylus is once again the only one I can name. (edit: just remembered that Through the Ages also does this)

MrBody on
    • Options
      Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
      I feel like those are both pretty common. If players later in the turn order are not compensated then I would assume no first player advantage showed up in play testing to compensate for.

• Options
      BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
      Lords of Waterdeep does the compensated thing as well.

• Options
      psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular

-ripple turn order

Someone claiming first player merely bumps everyone else one space down in the order. The only game I've seen that does this is Caylus. It's far superior to the more popular "clockwise from the first player" model, where people get screwed by being demoted to last based on the arbitrary seating order and the person to your left just happened to be the one who wanted to go first next round.

-compensated starting turn order

Games that randomly determine starting player order but then compensate the players the farther they are from first. Sadly, this is rarely done. It's a tad more common but off the top of my head Caylus is once again the only one I can name.

I like the clockwise turn ordered in many games because sometimes I take first place precisely to screw the person beside me because that is an important move.

Even better is when you get to assign turn order around the table, though.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
      steam_sig.png
    • Options
      Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
      Assigned turn order is extra book-keeping and complexity. Just a bit, but enough to take up space and make things a bit clunkier.

Turn order is enormous in a lot of games, even ones that do clockwise order. Sometimes designers just sacrifice total fairness for ease of use (which is why we see so few simultaneous resolution games)

• Options
      edited April 2018
      It really depends on the game?
      Dominant Species makes you really invest in clawing your way around the turn order at all.
      Viticulture is the weird one that has turn order to determine turn order every round. :P I think Fresco does something similar with the wake-up times? It's been a while since I tried that one.
      Inis literally flips a coin to determine clockwise or counter-clockwise from a fixed point (the current Brenn), and boy does that have interesting repercussions on the game.
      Lots of games have bids of sorts for turn order. Of course the examples I can think of are Five Tribes and The Great Zimbabwe, but I know there are others.

... I feel like I actually play more games that have either the usual rotating player order, or something mechanically weird like the above, than I do games that have "first to pass determines next turn order."

ArcticLancer on
    • Options
      jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
      edited April 2018
      Assigned turn order is extra book-keeping and complexity. Just a bit, but enough to take up space and make things a bit clunkier.

Turn order is enormous in a lot of games, even ones that do clockwise order. Sometimes designers just sacrifice total fairness for ease of use (which is why we see so few simultaneous resolution games)

My favorite turn order mechanic is that found in Archipelago. You bid, not on turn order, but to set the turn order. So after someone wins the bid, everybody starts bribing the winner for decent turn order position. And it often happens that a player will announce that he wants to go first so that he can do X, maybe to another player. So the whole tone for the next round is often clearly established before it even starts. It fits the "I'm your friend I'm not your friend" feeling of the game really well.

EDIT:

-ripple turn order

Don't Feld games do this a lot? I'm trying to remember them all, but doesn't Castles of Burgundy basically work this way?

jergarmar on
      When I was a child, I had a fever...
      jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
      My BoardGameGeek profile
      Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
    • Options
      Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
      The problem with Archipelago's turn order mechanic, like almost all of its mechanics, is that injecting negotiation and adding decision points makes things take exponentially longer. If you don't want a 4-hour game you need to have some mechanics that aren't open, discussion-based decisions. It's a great mechanic but it takes so long!

• Options
      jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
      The problem with Archipelago's turn order mechanic, like almost all of its mechanics, is that injecting negotiation and adding decision points makes things take exponentially longer. If you don't want a 4-hour game you need to have some mechanics that aren't open, discussion-based decisions. It's a great mechanic but it takes so long!

That's fair, though it's a longer game that I relish. I'll also say that, in my experience, once people have played it a time or two, the time spent negotiating drops way down.

When I was a child, I had a fever...
      jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
      My BoardGameGeek profile
      Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
    • Options
      HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
      jergarmar wrote: »

My favorite turn order mechanic is that found in Archipelago. You bid, not on turn order, but to set the turn order. So after someone wins the bid, everybody starts bribing the winner for decent turn order position. And it often happens that a player will announce that he wants to go first so that he can do X, maybe to another player. So the whole tone for the next round is often clearly established before it even starts. It fits the "I'm your friend I'm not your friend" feeling of the game really well.

EDIT:

-ripple turn order

Don't Feld games do this a lot? I'm trying to remember them all, but doesn't Castles of Burgundy basically work this way?

I was just about to say this. Castles of Burgundy and Bora Bora both have a turn order track that one can move up on (so you might go from 4th in turn order to 2nd in turn order by moving up the track). I seem to recall Trajan did much the same, but it's been a long time since I played that.

• Options
      AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
      Alchemists does turn order well—you get to choose in order if you prefer being first or being compensated, and there are different advantages for being earlier or later in the turn order, so it’s not often you really get screwed by it.

ACsTqqK.jpg
    • Options
      CantidoCantido Registered User regular
      edited April 2018
      In the digital world, the creator of This War of Mine (which later became a board game) released Frostpunk, a post apocalyptic city management game in which you must rebuild coal-fueled, frostpunky Generators, to make a city around it.

I bring this up here because I really want this to become a Euro.

https://youtu.be/4IoOdpMaFvs

All that's happening here is manipulating number sliders (workers, engineers and children,) circular tile placement, and researching a tech tree. It's practically a Euro already.

Cantido on
      3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    • Options
      HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
      Well this is a pile of crap. Still no 7th Continent on my doorstep. :/

kx3klFE.png
    • Options
      Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
      The Hellboy game big old Kickstarter from Mantic starts tomorrow.

From previews, so far so dungeon crawler with a slight side in investigating, but the sculpts look amazing and as a super-fan I'm all in.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    • Options
      WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
      European gamers, what are some good online stores (or local stores in Essen, Germany) that sells board game accessories, like special meeples, metal coins, etc?

• Options
      DashuiDashui Registered User regular
      edited April 2018
      I finally sat down and played Kemet tonight, now that my replacement battle cards arrived. Oh boy! Oh boy! It's real good! The dizzying combinations of power tiles with limited moves per phase is thrilling!

My only complaint is less with the gameplay and more with the figures that came in the box. A good few of them seem permanently deformed. The hot/cold water trick doesn't work on every malformed figure. They end up wanting to bend back into an unnatural state in hot water, and return to their weird angles after sitting for some time. They're practically face planting the ground or on their back. It would look comical if it weren't so sad. I'll contact Matagot (I already contacted Asmodee about the messed up battle deck) and see if they can help me out.

Dashui on
      Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    • Options
      AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
      European gamers, what are some good online stores (or local stores in Essen, Germany) that sells board game accessories, like special meeples, metal coins, etc?

What country? International shipping can be a bitch.

• Options
      WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
      I'm gonna be staying in Essen, Germany later in the year (October). I figure I can have stuff delivered to that address then pick it up when we go there.

• Options
      edited April 2018
      In the digital world, the creator of This War of Mine (which later became a board game) released Frostpunk, a post apocalyptic city management game in which you must rebuild coal-fueled, frostpunky Generators, to make a city around it.

All that's happening here is manipulating number sliders (workers, engineers and children,) circular tile placement, and researching a tech tree. It's practically a Euro already.

I was excited for this until I saw the story choices stuff.

Can we please jettison this King of Dragon Pass mechanic from strategy games? Ever since FTL brought it back, it feels like every roguelike is cramming it in there. I just recently gave up on Space Tyrant (besides badly wanting to like it) because the random story choices are just too punishing and can completely torpedo your entire run.

Or at least make the risk & reward of the choices very clear.

MrBody on
    • Options
      DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
      I'm gonna be staying in Essen, Germany later in the year (October). I figure I can have stuff delivered to that address then pick it up when we go there.

You could try www.spielmaterial.de
      That's where I get my stuff for prototyping.

steam_sig.png
    • Options
      edited April 2018
      Out of curiosity I went further down the SU&SD review rabbit hole of games I've played to see if their "play Rex instead" Scythe review was just a fluke.

Came across their Blood Rage review. They did not like it. Okay, I guess they'll recommend what they thought were better similar games...
      If you want an epic miniatures game that really DOES encourage you fight, no matter the cost, Forbidden Stars remains completely awesome. If you want a cool miniatures game that’s brimming with axes, I’d do Battlelore. If you want a chaotic card game that actually has full-size cards, I’d play Cosmic Encounter. And if you want a cutthroat game of careful positioning, we love Cool Mini or Not’s own Dogs of War.

Uhhhh...

Dogs of War I was not familiar with, so I looked their review on that.
      It’s exactly the same as Settlers of Catan or Ticket to Ride.

uhhh....

I wish there was a Youtube algorithm that automatically edited together the first half overview of SU&SD videos then switched over to the last half Dice Tower final thoughts.

MrBody on
    • Options
      BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular

I was excited for this until I saw the story choices stuff.

Can we please jettison this King of Dragon Pass mechanic from strategy games? Ever since FTL brought it back, it feels like every roguelike is cramming it in there. I just recently gave up on Space Tyrant (besides badly wanting to like it) because the random story choices are just too punishing and can completely torpedo your entire run.

Or at least make the risk & reward of the choices very clear.

Above and below did a good job of presenting the risk/reward to their story choices. The text of the event would hint at what could be gained (a certain resource, money reputation ect) but without slowing things down with specific numbers. Then would present the challenge rating of the choices (with different break points for tiers of success). It let the story move fluidly without feeling like the results were apropos of nothing.

"It's exactly like Catan..." has become a running joke in my gaming circles. When describing any game one of us will try and draw some similarity between the game and Catan, no matter how tenuous. My favorite so far "Twilight Imperium is exactly like Catan, in that both have you roll dice".

This discussion has been closed.