As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Legal Eagle [Phalla] - IT'S OVER - VILLAGE VICTORY

LocusLocus Trust MeThe seaRegistered User regular
edited May 2018 in Critical Failures
Welcome to the Legal Eagle Phalla!
brought to you by your hosts, Locus and AustinP0027

The first thing we do, let’s kill all the lawyers.

This is a phalla, where the keenest legal minds in all of the Penny Arcade forums will match wits to see who reigns supreme! More specifically, phalla is a variation of the “Mafia” party game, where an uninformed majority (colloquially referred to as “the village”) must root out an informed minority (colloquially referred to as “the mafia”). You can read more about phalla here.

The rules for this phalla are below. If you wish to sign up to play this game, please indicate as such by signing your forum name *here* and initialing *here*, *here*, and… *here*.

There is no limit to the number of players who may participate in this game.

Please note that this phalla is experimental in nature. Austin and I have done our best to balance this game, but much like the law, there are no guarantees in phalla. We recommend that you read the rules carefully.

As you will see below, the mechanics of the game require a significant amount of host interaction. As neither Austin nor I can be at a computer 24 hours a day, there may be a delay between submissions to us and our responses. We encourage you to plan accordingly.

Roles
Prior to the start of the game, each player will receive from the hosts a PM which contains their role.
A player’s role PM will indicate what special abilities, if any, that player has.
Role PMs may not be shared.
There is a village and a mafia.
The village’s win condition is to eliminate all threats to the village through either disbarment or conviction.
The mafia’s win condition is [redacted].
The regular villager role PM is reproduced in full below:
You are a solo practitioner! When you graduated from law school, you didn’t move to the big city to join a big law firm to work for big corporations. No, you chose to hang up your own shingle and help out the little guy. Now it seems the little guy needs you more than ever, as corporate America looks to take every last bite out of the American Dream. But not on your watch.

Win condition: Eliminate all threats to the village.

Elections
Each day, the players must vote to elect three Judges by posting the names of the three players they wish to elect in bold purple.
Each day, the players must vote to elect two District Attorneys by posting the names of the two players they wish to elect in bold cyan.
The players who win each of the votes will assume office the following day.
A player may not hold two offices at the same time.
In the event of a tie, the player who reached the winning vote total first will assume the office to which they have been elected.
In the event that fewer players receive votes than the number of open positions (e.g., if only two players receive votes for Judge), then the remaining open positions will be filled by appointment.
In the event that a player is elected to an office for which they are not eligible, the player with the next-most votes will assume that office.
In the event that there are not enough players to hold all five offices, the Judge positions must be filled before the District Attorney positions.

Special Abilities and Actions
Each night, any player may either use a special ability or bring an action. Not every role will necessarily have a special ability.
If a player has a special ability, the details of that ability will be included in that player’s role PM.
There are two types of actions: civil actions and criminal actions.
Any player, unless otherwise noted, may bring a civil action. The variety of civil actions a player may bring are listed below.
Only a District Attorney may bring a criminal action.
A player may only bring one action against one player per day.

Criminal actions
Every day, each District Attorney may bring criminal charges against one player by PMing the hosts with the name of the player they wish to bring charges against.
The hosts will then PM the Judges with the details of the criminal charges.
The Judges will then vote, in private, to either convict or acquit that player, with the majority ruling.
If a Judge fails to vote in a criminal action by the end of the day, it shall be considered a vote to acquit.
The District Attorney who brought the criminal charges may drop the charges at any time until all three Judges have voted.
A District Attorney may drop the charges by PMing the hosts.
If a District Attorney drops charges, they may bring criminal charges against another or the same player on that day.
When criminal charges are filed, a notice of such will be made in the game thread in the following format:

People v. [Player Name]
[Index Number]

Civil actions
Each night, a player may bring a civil action against any other player by PMing the hosts with the name of the player they wish to bring an action against, the nature of the action, and the relief sought.
The hosts will then PM the Judges with the details of the civil action.
The Judges will then vote, in private, to either grant or deny the civil action, with the majority ruling. The Judges may also choose to decline to hear a civil action, in which case the action is dismissed without prejudice. If the Judges choose to decline to hear a civil action, such decision must be unanimous. If a Judge votes to decline to hear a civil action, and such decision is not unanimous, the vote to decline to hear the action will be considered a nullity for purposes of deciding the action.
If a Judge fails to vote in a civil action by the end of the day, it shall be considered a vote to decline to hear the civil action.
If a civil action is granted, it will take effect the following day.
If a civil action is decided on the merits, then the player who brought the action may not bring the same type of action against the same player for the remainder of the game.
If the Judges decline to hear a civil action, it is not a disposition on the merits.
A player may withdraw their civil action at any time until all three Judges have voted.
A player may withdraw their civil action by PMing the hosts.
If a player withdraws their civil action, they may bring a new civil action against another or the same player on that day.
If a civil action is granted, the player against whom the action is brought must comply with the decision of the court. A failure to do so will result in conviction for contempt of court.
A Judge may not bring a civil action while they are in office.
When a civil action is filed, a notice of such will be made in the game thread in the following format:

In re [Player Name]
[Index Number]
[Nature of Action]

A player may bring any one of the following civil actions:

Writ of Mandamus – If granted, compels a player to take a certain action. Requests for relief must be sufficiently specific to enable enforcement. Requests for relief which are not sufficiently specific will be referred back to the player bringing the action for more specificity. An action will not be placed on the court's docket until the request for relief is sufficiently specific.

Temporary Injunction – If granted, prevents a player from taking a certain action. Requests for relief must be sufficiently specific to enable enforcement. Requests for relief which are not sufficiently specific will be referred back to the player bringing the action for more specificity. An action will not be placed on the court's docket until the request for relief is sufficiently specific.

Writ of Certiorari - If granted, releases a player from an order compelling them to take, or prohibiting them from taking, an action.

Freedom of Information Act – If granted, publicly reveals the role and alignment of a player who has been disbarred or convicted.

Conviction
Convicted players maintain the right to free speech, however they may not communicate privately with other players.
Convicted players may not vote, may not practice law, may not hold office, and may not use special abilities.

Disbarment
Each day, the players must vote to disbar another player by posting the name of the player they wish to disbar in bold red.
The player who receives the most votes will be disbarred.
In the event of a tie vote, the player who created the tie vote will be disbarred.
The panel of Judges will then determine whether or not to disbar any, all, or none of the players who were tied in the vote.
Disbarred players maintain the right to vote and the right to free speech, however they may not communicate privately with other players..
Disbarred players may not practice law, may not hold office, and may not use special abilities.

Results
At the end of each day, the results of any elections will be made public.
At the end of each day, the results of the vote for disbarment will be made public.
At the end of each day, the decision of each action brought that day will be made public, including the relief granted, if any.

Activity
In order to remain an active member of the bar, a player must make at least two posts per day, and at least one vote for disbarment per day. If a player becomes inactive, they will be administratively disbarred.

Miscellaneous
Each game day will begin when the hosts announce that the game day has begun.
Each game day will end at 9 PM EDT.
Any votes made between the end of one game day and the beginning of the next game day are a considered a nullity.
Include the hosts on any PMs shared between players or any proboards created.
You may not anonymously communicate with any other player.
Clarification of any rule may be requested by posting such request in bold orange.

Clarifications
Cythraul wrote: »
With the Writ of Mandamus, can we, say, force kime to speak only in rhyme?

Yes, but remember you can only raise a civil charge against a player once, so you would be unable to raise another charge against Kime the rest of the game

Locus wrote: »
discrider wrote: »
Does this mean we can use such a writ to force a player to reveal their own alignment, or be found in contempt?

No. "The privilege against self-incrimination protects the individual from being compelled to incriminate himself in any manner. It does not distinguish between degrees of incrimination." Miranda v. Arizona, 384 U.S. 436, 476.
And is such a writ, executed on a member of some incorporated body, binding on that incorporated body as a whole, where that member might have some shared power of action over the body?

Here we will apply New York Partnership Law section 26(b): "Except as provided by subdivisions (c) and (d) of this section, no partner of a partnership which is a registered limited liability partnership is liable or accountable, directly or indirectly (including by way of indemnification, contribution or otherwise), for any debts, obligations or liabilities of, or chargeable to, the registered limited liability partnership or each other . . . solely by reason of being such a partner or acting."

To add, subdivision C says "Nice try." and subdivision D adds "Did you really think it could be that easy?"

Locus on

• Options
    LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Attorney Bar Roll:

1. kime - Judge
    2. jdarksun - Political Donor - convicted
    3. discrider - Solo Practitioner - disbarred
    4. MrTLicious
    5. Sir Fabulous - convicted
    6. JPants - District Attorney
    7. Brody - Defense Attorney - convicted
    8. lonelyahava
    9. Bluecyan
    10. LostNinja - Judge
    11. PsychoCucumber - Solo Practitioner - convicted
    12. 38thDoe - District Attorney
    13. SaberOverEasy - Solo Practitioner - convicted
    14. Preda
    15. MamaWolf - Federal Prosecutor - disbarred
    16. Gizzy - Judge
    17. chamberlain
    18. JusticeforPluto - Limited Liability Partnership - convicted
    19. Moridin889 - Appellate Attorney - convicted
    20. Zombie Hero - Dewey, Cheatham & Howe, LLP - disbarred
    21. kuhlmeye
    22. Green - disbarred
    23. JaysonFour - convicted
    24. Wildcat

Narrations
    Day Zero
    Day One
    Day Two
    Day Three
    Day Four

Locus on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Lot of text in that OP

I'm sure I'll read it later

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    You had me at infinite ghost posts

discrider on
  • Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    playplayplay

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    I rest my case.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Sign me up

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'll probably get around to reading the op on day 2... Kime

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    This sounds like a good time

What time zone are you in?

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • Options
    CythraulCythraul Registered User regular

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • Options
    How about in Ree-may?

• Options
    This sounds like a good time

What time zone are you in?
    Eastern Daylight Time. Thanks for pointing out the omission. I'll add it to the OP when I'm off mobile.

• Options

Yes. But please note MrTLicious's post above.

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular

Yes, but remember you can only raise a civil charge against a player once, so you would be unable to raise another charge against Kime the rest of the game

• Options

#worth

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    This is sounding scary.

Maybe I should read the OP sooner rather than later. Before things get hairy

Steam profile
  • Options
    So wait, we can have a bunch of public seerings each day?

Steam profile
  • Options
    Death seering.

• Options
    Brody wrote: »
    Death seering.

Ohhhhh

Which means we don't get that normally, ouch.

Steam profile
  • Options
    BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    After several years of law school I am really good at shooting logical arguments at floating word bubbles.

What do you mean this isn't how actual courts work?!

• Options
    kime wrote: »
    So wait, we can have a bunch of public seerings each day?

I don't see why not; compel everyone to testify about their role.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    I’m innocent I tell you, innocent!

• Options
    PsychoCucumberPsychoCucumber Registered User regular
    I'm gonna legal this up real good.

• Options

Does this mean we can use such a writ to force a player to reveal their own alignment, or be found in contempt?

• Options
    edited April 2018
    And is such a writ, executed on a member of some incorporated body, binding on that incorporated body as a whole, where that member might have some shared power of action over the body?

discrider on
  • Options

No. "The privilege against self-incrimination protects the individual from being compelled to incriminate himself in any manner. It does not distinguish between degrees of incrimination." Miranda v. Arizona, 384 U.S. 436, 476.

• Options
    edited April 2018

Here we will apply New York Partnership Law section 26(b): "Except as provided by subdivisions (c) and (d) of this section, no partner of a partnership which is a registered limited liability partnership is liable or accountable, directly or indirectly (including by way of indemnification, contribution or otherwise), for any debts, obligations or liabilities of, or chargeable to, the registered limited liability partnership or each other . . . solely by reason of being such a partner or acting."

To add, subdivision C says "Nice try." and subdivision D adds "Did you really think it could be that easy?"

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    There are a lot of long words in here, Miss; we're naught but humble pirates. What is it that you want?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    He said indemnify. It's all I've ever wanted from a phalla. I can die happy now.

• Options
    He's asking if the writ would affect the entire mafia if you hit one member with it. The answer is "No, it won't"

• Options
    Do judges decide both whether to hear and whether to grant civil actions? What is the timeline on those determinations?

Would this prevent any civil action or just another Writ of Mandamus?

• Options
    SaberOverEasySaberOverEasy Info Broker Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    i always wanted to be a lawyer

SaberOverEasy on
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    MrTLicious wrote: »
    Do judges decide both whether to hear and whether to grant civil actions? What is the timeline on those determinations?

As to the first question, the Judges have three options when a civil action is brought before them: they may grant the action, deny the action, or decline to hear the action. The only difference between the latter two options is that declining to hear the action would allow the player bringing the action to bring the action again at a later time. As to the second question, an action is decided when all three Judges have voted on it. The relief granted, if any, goes into effect when results are posted.
    MrTLicious wrote:

Would this prevent any civil action or just another Writ of Mandamus?
    The latter. "If a civil action is decided on the merits, then the player who brought the action may not bring the same type of action against the same player for the remainder of the game." There are four types of civil actions.

Locus on
  • Options
    In the event that a lawyer may be held to both a Writ of Mandamus and a Temporary Injunction with regard to the same code of behaviour, will they have no recourse but to retire from the bar, due to the ethical implications of either doing or not doing the specified course of action?

• Options
    In the event that a lawyer may be held to both a Writ of Mandamus and a Temporary Injunction with regard to the same code of behaviour, will they have no recourse but to retire from the bar, due to the ethical implications of either doing or not doing the specified course of action?
    In the event that a player is subject to two court orders which directly conflict with each other, this jurisdiction shall apply the first-in-time rule, and the action which was filed first shall take precedence.

• Options
    MrTLicious wrote: »

As to the first question, the Judges have three options when a civil action is brought before them: they may grant the action, deny the action, or decline to hear the action. The only difference between the latter two options is that declining to hear the action would allow the player bringing the action to bring the action again at a later time. As to the second question, an action is decided when all three Judges have voted on it. The relief granted, if any, goes into effect when results are posted.
    In light of MrTLicious's submission, the Chief Administrative Judges have conferred and have made the following amendments to the rules:

The Judges will then vote, in private, to either grant or deny the civil action, with the majority ruling. The Judges may also choose to decline to hear a civil action, in which case the action is dismissed without prejudice. If the Judges choose to decline to hear a civil action, such decision must be unanimous. If a Judge votes to decline to hear a civil action, and such decision is not unanimous, the vote to decline to hear the action will be considered a nullity for purposes of deciding the action.
    If a Judge fails to vote in a civil action by the end of the day, it shall be considered a vote to decline to hear the civil action.

• Options
    In the event that a player is subject to two court orders which directly conflict with each other, this jurisdiction shall apply the first-in-time rule, and the action which was filed first shall take precedence.
    Heh
    Writ of Certiorari
    Motion
    :cool:
    Past

• Options
    So much orange

So many big words