As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Painting Miniatures] vs the unending tide of grey plastic

• VikingViking Registered User regular
    in the last 2 pics, that closest wolf in particular is gorgeous.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    Viking wrote: »
    in the last 2 pics, that closest wolf in particular is gorgeous.

Aw, thanks. i hit some magic mix of washes with that one and the fur came out really vibrant.

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    First off those look ridiculous @Matrias. Amazing work. I have a soft spot for Space Wolves.

General thread question: When doing sub assembly work, how are you folks masking the parts to not paint over glue joints? I'm using Valejo Liquid Mask right now just curious if people have some other techniques to try.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I use this for masking and so much more.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I use this for masking and so much more.

Same thing I'm using now while working on Lysander. Does he look okay so far?

943960_sm-Lysander%20front.jpg
    943959_sm-Lysander%20back.jpg

I think I'm going to pin his arms on.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    Mind n catch those gates on his bannery thing, bro.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Oh, dangit @J, cannot unsee.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    On his back? Yeah, didn't see those.

Thanks.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Those are not gates, but they are right smack in the front.
    One is under the skull, one under the laurel weave on our left. Those are places for bubbles to flow into.

r32xugbvk6mo.jpg

The yellow came out kind of chalky, IMO, but all details are well preserved and the colours have perfect coverage. What style are you going for? More painterly or more cartoon?

Mayday on
  • BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Don’t forget to paint his combat studs, otherwise he looks like he’s about to sprout horns and start praising the dark gods.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    Don’t forget to paint his combat studs, otherwise he looks like he’s about to sprout horns and start praising the dark gods.

Or he's about to pull a guitar out of his skull and start going ham on some daemons.
    Which... well, that's probably Chaos too, now that I think about it.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Or they are skin tags
    We know little about the genealogy of the space marines so who knows what minor things pop up over the life of a Space Marine

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    That model is resin now, isn't it? I'm tempted to pick one up, delicately shave off the fist icons, and using his body for a Terminator Captain.

Mayday wrote: »
    Those are not gates, but they are right smack in the front.
    One is under the skull, one under the laurel weave on our left. Those are places for bubbles to flow into.

r32xugbvk6mo.jpg

The yellow came out kind of chalky, IMO, but all details are well preserved and the colours have perfect coverage. What style are you going for? More painterly or more cartoon?

I haven't finished the yellow. I actually need a coat of Yriel Yellow, then a glaze over that.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    That model is resin now, isn't it? I'm tempted to pick one up, delicately shave off the fist icons, and using his body for a Terminator Captain.

One thing I liked about Finecast despite all its problems was being able to convert all these previously metal models without almost slicing off my thumb.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Okay, hoping for some assorted experiences here ...
    I've been powering though a small, cheap aircraft kit my mother got me in high school (bless her <3), and was generally having a really good time with it. Felt like my airbrush work was alright, and I masked off the big bits effectively, and even managed to pretty nicely salvage my much younger self's fuck-up of the canopy. So I got my first top-coat on with the colors down, and moved on to decals. Here's where I need some input.
    Microset seems to generally work okay here. I don't think things have been out of step with it on getting decals onto the plane. However microsol isn't being well received. It's universally causing the decals to curl to varying degrees, and nothing has settled well except for two small ones I fucked with a lot for the first 30 minutes after applying them. There are patches that set right, but there's way more wrinkling/lifting/bubbling. The decals are basically being destroyed rather than 'melted' as you might expect. And I'm wondering if this is possibly because they're old? Or if there are secretly more than one kind of water transfer decal and these ones aren't compatible? Or if I'm somehow just fucking things up myself?
    Thoughts? :/

Actually, that is how it works. Initially, they will curl like that, but if you leave them for an hour or so, they should even back out.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    edited April 2018
    Actually, that is how it works. Initially, they will curl like that, but if you leave them for an hour or so, they should even back out.
    No, it's much worse than that. I'm familiar with how it's supposed to cause some deformation, but this is immediate and lasting. Let me take a photo ...
    f1xovx784nct.jpg
    The UC had Microsol applied before I went to work this morning. The 26 I left with just Microset to see if there would be any reaction.
    The circle at the back has issues, but they're too subtle to capture with my cell camera, and it turned out better because I was able to baby it for 40 minutes. Very similar circles on the wings are the same story - They're mostly okay because I applied microsol 4 times and was able to tend to them for the time following, fixing the lifting and curling from the original application.

ArcticLancer on
    Yeah, that's... pretty bad.

I don't think my MicroSol has ever been that bad. I do still have issues though, and it always with round transfers on a curved surface.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    On another note, yes, I can now confirm Vallejo Surface primer is the way and the light.

I had to completely scrape all the paint off Lysander's left knee pad and start over. I seem to have a problem with curved surfaces like knee pads or shoulder pads where I can't get a flat even coat in a circular area in the middle of the pad, and the paint gets pulled to form a ring around that area. Then no matter what I do, it just seems to build up that ring while not staying in the middle.

I've got the primer on, and my first two thin layers of Averland Sunset. I'll touch it up in a few with Yriel Yellow and hopefully that will do it. But now I need to redo the studs on it. Blech.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Painting a squad of ten marines takes so much longer than painting big vehicles! These guys took forever!
    The 80's glamrock-weaponized-guitars don't really fit with my Blood Renegades aesthetic, so I made up these Noise Marines to be more... rifle marines? They got snazzguns that shoot a lot. Also they're keeping topknots in style.
    Given the newer proportions of the Rubric and Plague Marines, I needed to make these guys fit in with that range. The legs are from the Blood Warrior kit, and have much better posture and size. The assault rifles are standard bolters with Admech Infiltrator gunbarrels added for length. The "mini battle cannons" (aka Blastmasters) are Calth missile launchers with ork supashoota barrels.

chaos_noisemarine02.jpg

Better look at the shoulder cannons, which I think turned out pretty good.
    chaos_noisemarine03.jpg

Turnaround gif doesnt have nearly enough frames to track clearly, but I'll add it anyways.
    chaos_noisemarine02_turn.gif

website_header.jpg
    Dang it, McGibs. How can you make such nice stuff?

I've never seen an orange army look so danged good.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    I was panicked tonight thinking I had screwed up my airbrush. Thankfully it's back in good working order now and I've learned a lot more about how they come apart and go back together. I've learned they're less fragile, but also more precise, than I thought.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I was panicked tonight thinking I had screwed up my airbrush. Thankfully it's back in good working order now and I've learned a lot more about how they come apart and go back together. I've learned they're less fragile, but also more precise, than I thought.
    FWIW, I have been exactly there. I got to learn about how if it gets wet, the o-ring in the bottom assembly can swell and make the trigger cease to function. That was fun and not at all heart-attack-inducing when it happened. ;P

• canuckontcanuckont Registered User regular
    mjtrew8pl40o.jpeg
    Some bolt action love

Us airborne down now for the germans

I saw a kid get handed a JB poster by who I presume was his parents outside my store today....he tore it in half infront of his horrified parents.....There's hope for our youth yet!
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    FWIW, I have been exactly there. I got to learn about how if it gets wet, the o-ring in the bottom assembly can swell and make the trigger cease to function. That was fun and not at all heart-attack-inducing when it happened. ;P

Yeah, in my case I had done a full disassembly and clean after not using it for a bit. I didn't reseat the needle correctly and got all kinds of anomalies. Sometimes paint would flow, sometimes it wouldn't. Sometimes air would back up in to the paint pot. Finally last night I realized I needed to seat the needle better and like magic I had paint flow and control back and paint wasn't leaking out of the front of the airbrush constantly.

I was back in the land of smooth blue base coats.

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    I finally had some time to paint before work today... been laying flooring in my house all week and didn't manage to get it done until today. Made myself sit down to paint as a break before going back on shift.

A couple pages back I looked for advice on glazes, and voila! Finally, edge highlighted and glazed green...

My first Foetid Bloat Drone (More pics spoilered so I don't flood the entire page)

y2ubbnxcia0t.jpg
    gcyaesjbdo81.jpg
    5bru44y0wyhd.jpg
    4or71ohzjrio.jpg
    0o1u4k1v9apx.jpg
    uj6ajq025sjd.jpg

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    I need to touch up the goo on the plaguespitters and I've FINALLY ordered something to base with!

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    @McGibs your work is stunning and makes me wish I had the painting spark atm.

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
    edited April 2018
    Thanks! The painting spark for those guys was very flickery, so I get it. I had the first 6 painted months ago, and really had to force myself to finally finish the last 4 over the course of a week. :confused:
    Nice to have the whole squad done though. Now I can get back to big evil robots.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
    Can you use an airbrush with Citadel glazes?

Or will I just completely bung up my airbrush?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    Can you use an airbrush with Citadel glazes?

Or will I just completely bung up my airbrush?

Probably. Glazes are already super thin. They're really just paint with a shitload of medium to disperse the pigment.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    Glazes and shades run through an airbrush are great for tinting colours, just keep your psi low (like, 15).

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
    Excellent! Thank you both

I saw online how to make metallic armors by basing metal and then glazing, but it looked like a pain to do with a brush.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    I did a few robots with metallics+glazes awhile back.

Blue glaze over chrome:
    gXP7YY6.jpg

Red glaze over dark steel:
    SqIcBSM.jpg

Oh my, those are loverley.

website_header.jpg
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Wow.... I totally have those glazes and I am going to have to find mini's to use them on.

steam_sig.png
  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    I’m gonna have to try out that blue over chrome.

04xkcuvaav19.png
    edited April 2018
    I don't remember if I posted it here, but I posted this to Reddit yesterday:

944319_sm-Imperial%20Space%20Marine.jpg

and got this response...
    you make the rest of us look like a steaming pile of shit

And then this when I questioned it:
    Just accept that you're an extremely good painter who's better than the vast majority.

I've never been praised like that, and I'm still not sure it applies, but it gives me encouragement that I am getting better than when I first was on this site grilling Keenbean, Tox and everybody else about their craft.

I see how you guys have improved and it also gives me hope I can be even better someday.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    For one thing, that's a very good photo of the work you did. For another thing, the second response is straight up true. <3

This discussion has been closed.