As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[L5R LCG] Imperial cycle has releases faster than One Punch Man fight scenes.

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    I got spoiled picking up most of my cards for half off, but luckily a local store had a used (new) core set for $25, so I gave in and now have my 3x core just in time for my first Battle for the Stronghold on Saturday!
    Now I have to decide whether to stick with my Unicorns with Lion splash or try a different splash, or try a completely different clan (leaning towards Crab with Uni or Dragon). Haven't picked up Disciples or half the dynasty packs yet, but it feels like core has most of the key clan cards anyway.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I don't have the time for an LCG. I finally sold my Netrunner collection while keeping the books.

This needs a Total War game!

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Cantido wrote: »
    I don't have the time for an LCG. I finally sold my Netrunner collection while keeping the books.

This needs a Total War game!

Total War Shogun 2 with spells does sound cool.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    edited April 2018
    Warsaw Kotei starting! 99 players.

Won game 1!

Unicorn wrecked me game 2 :(

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Recap of my Battle for the Stronghold on Saturday:

Round 1, vs Phoenix. Really nice opponent, we play pretty even through the first turn and a half...then we look at the clock and we have 20 minutes left in the round (it's amazing how fast the time goes in this game). End of round, I fire off a Cav Reserves + For Greater Glory combo which gets me 5 free fate, plus I get out all three Keeper Initiates. But he had his Champion out, honored, and I basically couldn't touch anything since all my dudes were small. I give him the win (PS the end of round point system is so stupid).

Round 2, vs Dragon. I basically had no chance this game. My Dynasty draw was all 1 and 2 drops, while he gets out Mirumoto Raitsugu and Niten Master with all the attachments and fate. I was really wishing I had played Crab when I was in this game to Way Of and delete those giant dudes.

Round 3, Bye. Which was hilarious because during the previous round I asked the organizer if we were taking a break or playing through (through, since it was only 4 rounds). So I got a free win and lunch break, and I got to observe a couple other games and learn some more cards.

Round 4, vs Phoenix. Opponent was very new and just committed whatever they had to any conflict. This was a free win, broke all 4 provinces (Talisman of the Sun) and stronghold.

Had a fun time overall, almost everyone got 2 Champ promos (I grabbed Crab and Dragon) and I got a full set of the clan role cards.
    I'm heading out tonight to play some more locally, going to try out Crab for the first time. I still have a lot of cards to learn from all the clans (since like 50% of my games have been Unicorn mirror).

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    The guest writer articles continue, this time with the Phoenix:

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    Hit up Mox Boarding House in Bellevue after work to play tonight. Got a game in with Crab, and the event runner got their Disciples of the Void OP kit in. Those of us there got both promos, and I ended up with one of the two Isawa Tadaka playmats! So naturally I'm going to have to try out some Phoenix soon.

So the guest articles seem to be a weekly thing now? This week has a Lion one.

persona4celestia.jpg
    edited April 2018
    Also a tournament regulations update, with updated End of Round procedures.

TL;dr version on the new time rules:

Time is called at 65 minutes, but the timer continues going until 75. At this point, each player has a chance to concede, or they can continue to play until the end of the current round. At the 70 minute mark, the Emperor steps in and calls for a cease of conflict. Any losses on slips turned in past this point are counted as a modified loss. At the 75 minute mark, ALL play stops and they immediately go to tiebreakers, and wins are counted as modified wins.

EDIT: Huh, they rolled them back.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    They're really struggling with the fact that the game is just too long for tournament play. They can change the end game rules all they want, it's not satisfying to play a 7 round tournament and go to time more than half of it.

What is this I don't even.
  • CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    They're really struggling with the fact that the game is just too long for tournament play. They can change the end game rules all they want, it's not satisfying to play a 7 round tournament and go to time more than half of it.

I think new players go to time, I don't think experienced players go to time as often as you suggest.

• CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    That said I'd happily accept I'm wrong if you have some data on this?

I think it depends on matchup. I play Phoenix. I regularly play the same Scorpion player and our matches take 2 hours or more, and usually someone loses to dishonor when we are both at 3ish honor. I ended up winning last night by having two of his characters dishonored when he was at 2 honor while I had 1 honor and 1 honored and 1 dishonored.

But in a tournament he would have won because after the first hour he was up a province and honor.

I actually wonder if the reason why they've been so quiet about cycle 2 is that they might be doing some hard play-testing on it to maybe bring power levels up so games resolve faster or more decisively.

Heck, if they can get Unicorn up and running, that could help out a ton. If a fast and highly aggressive deck out there is a threat, it might push others to play faster to deal with it.

persona4celestia.jpg
    PMAvers wrote: »
    I actually wonder if the reason why they've been so quiet about cycle 2 is that they might be doing some hard play-testing on it to maybe bring power levels up so games resolve faster or more decisively.

Heck, if they can get Unicorn up and running, that could help out a ton. If a fast and highly aggressive deck out there is a threat, it might push others to play faster to deal with it.

The answer to a deck like that is usually to stall them not out aggro them.

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    I think it depends on matchup. I play Phoenix. I regularly play the same Scorpion player and our matches take 2 hours or more, and usually someone loses to dishonor when we are both at 3ish honor. I ended up winning last night by having two of his characters dishonored when he was at 2 honor while I had 1 honor and 1 honored and 1 dishonored.

But in a tournament he would have won because after the first hour he was up a province and honor.

In untimed games, I definitely think a lot of the "stall-out" clans like Scorpion and some Phoenix and Crab builds have an advantage, because they can certainly play cautious and try to build up board state/deny your opponent instead of being proactive in breaking or dishonoring. (Not that they will, but they can.) The game inherently doesn't have a mechanism to encourage aggression, and so these long-term strategies are very viable. You can see this in all the L5R Discord League games that are cast online, the majority of them go ~80 min or more. Tournament play, with its artificial time limit, should inherently encourage that aggressive play.

Still, some of the long games is probably due to players with less experience having to make tough choices. But that's a bit on FFG that the game needs those thinky inclusions but is not designed competitively for long rounds.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Cerberus wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

I think new players go to time, I don't think experienced players go to time as often as you suggest.

I dunno. I honestly haven't played much since Pax Unplugged, but it seemed that about half the matches at that tournament were going to time. It WAS early on in the game's life, but I was really enthusiastic for the game till that tourney.

What is this I don't even.
    Played in a Stronghold tournament today. All my games finished under time but at least two games each round went to time, out of seven. At the Kotei a couple weeks ago there were like 4 or more games going to time every round and one or two that went significantly over. And they had added a 10 min hard limit.

The Wednesday Clan articles continue:

persona4celestia.jpg
    I ended up winning a Stronghold tournament today. We only had 6 people so not exactly the biggest event but I also top four'ed last week so I think I finally have a solid grasp of Phoenix post-Disciples. So below is the deck I am using. The core idea is having 9 ready or doesn't bow effects with some Voltron pieces. A secondary theme is Charge, usually for Fushico or Tadaka. So usually you want to play one guy, and have that guy fight in like three conflicts. Prodigy is still the best but Henshin Disciple also make a good Voltron. One key to the deck is Walking the Way to find your Charge targets and fix your flops since it is quite holding heavy.

Charging Firebirds

Kyūden Isawa
    Keeper of Water
    Manicured Garden Air
    Ancestral Lands Earth
    Meditations on the Tao Fire
    Kuroi Mori Void
    Elemental Fury Water
    Influence: 12/13, 1 remaining

Dynasty Deck (40)

Character (31)
    3x Adept of the Waves
    3x Asako Tsuki
    3x Fire Tensai Initiate
    3x Fushichō
    3x Henshin Disciple
    2x Inquisitive Ishika
    3x Isawa Tadaka
    3x Keeper Initiate
    3x Prodigy of the Waves
    2x Shiba Yōjimbō
    3x Solemn Scholar

Holding (9)
    3x Forgotten Library
    3x Imperial Storehouse
    3x Secluded Shrine

Conflict Deck (40)

Event (24)
    3x Against the Waves
    1x Assassination
    2x Benten's Touch
    3x Charge!
    3x Clarity of Purpose
    1x Court Games
    3x Gaijin Customs ///
    2x Supernatural Storm
    3x The Path of Man
    3x Walking the Way

Attachment (13)
    3x Cloud the Mind
    3x Embrace the Void
    2x Fine Katana
    2x Ornate Fan
    3x Spyglass ///// /

Character (3)
    3x Iuchi Wayfinder ///

edited May 2018
    I ended up winning a Stronghold tournament today. We only had 6 people so not exactly the biggest event but I also top four'ed last week so I think I finally have a solid grasp of Phoenix post-Disciples. So below is the deck I am using. The core idea is having 9 ready or doesn't bow effects with some Voltron pieces. A secondary theme is Charge, usually for Fushico or Tadaka. So usually you want to play one guy, and have that guy fight in like three conflicts. Prodigy is still the best but Henshin Disciple also make a good Voltron. One key to the deck is Walking the Way to find your Charge targets and fix your flops since it is quite holding heavy.

Charging Firebirds

Kyūden Isawa
    Keeper of Water
    Manicured Garden Air
    Ancestral Lands Earth
    Kuroi Mori Void
    Elemental Fury Water

Dynasty Deck (40)

Character (31)
    3x Adept of the Waves
    3x Asako Tsuki
    3x Fire Tensai Initiate
    3x Fushichō
    3x Henshin Disciple
    2x Inquisitive Ishika
    3x Isawa Tadaka
    3x Keeper Initiate
    3x Prodigy of the Waves
    2x Shiba Yōjimbō
    3x Solemn Scholar

Holding (9)
    3x Forgotten Library
    3x Imperial Storehouse
    3x Secluded Shrine

Conflict Deck (40)

Event (24)
    3x Against the Waves
    1x Assassination
    2x Benten's Touch
    3x Charge!
    3x Clarity of Purpose
    1x Court Games
    3x Gaijin Customs ///
    2x Supernatural Storm
    3x The Path of Man
    3x Walking the Way

Attachment (13)
    3x Cloud the Mind
    3x Embrace the Void
    2x Fine Katana
    2x Ornate Fan
    3x Spyglass ///// /

Character (3)
    3x Iuchi Wayfinder ///

I just got the last two Dynasty packs to complete my cards and have been trying Phoenix, might put this together to try tomorrow night.
    Do you hit with Path of Man often? I haven't tried it at all yet but it seems like a dead card half the time.

Custom Special on

Charging Firebirds

Kyūden Isawa
    Keeper of Water
    Manicured Garden Air
    Ancestral Lands Earth
    Kuroi Mori Void
    Elemental Fury Water

Dynasty Deck (40)

Character (31)
    3x Adept of the Waves
    3x Asako Tsuki
    3x Fire Tensai Initiate
    3x Fushichō
    3x Henshin Disciple
    2x Inquisitive Ishika
    3x Isawa Tadaka
    3x Keeper Initiate
    3x Prodigy of the Waves
    2x Shiba Yōjimbō
    3x Solemn Scholar

Holding (9)
    3x Forgotten Library
    3x Imperial Storehouse
    3x Secluded Shrine

Conflict Deck (40)

Event (24)
    3x Against the Waves
    1x Assassination
    2x Benten's Touch
    3x Charge!
    3x Clarity of Purpose
    1x Court Games
    3x Gaijin Customs ///
    2x Supernatural Storm
    3x The Path of Man
    3x Walking the Way

Attachment (13)
    3x Cloud the Mind
    3x Embrace the Void
    2x Fine Katana
    2x Ornate Fan
    3x Spyglass ///// /

Character (3)
    3x Iuchi Wayfinder ///

I just got the last two Dynasty packs to complete my cards and have been trying Phoenix, might put this together to try tomorrow night.
    Do you hit with Path of Man often? I haven't tried it at all yet but it seems like a dead card half the time.

You will sometimes be holding one or two for several turns. But most provinces are 4 strength, and Pilgrimage is 5. Which means that if you are breaking provinces, you probably meet the condition for Path of Man. And it can mean that a win by charging in a bird or Tadaka, or a single uncontested conflict you manage to sneak in, can snowball into playing out a bunch of characters next turn or dumping your hand full of ready effects to dominate a turn.

edited May 2018
    Since GenCon event reg started, any specific days people are planning on playing in the Grand Kotei on?

EDIT: Looks like I'll be in Friday's day 1.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    persona4celestia.jpg
    So I was just reading an old article from when roles were selected, and it had a bit about Scorpion choosing Seeker because Backhanded Compliment would have been NPE and in hindsight that is hilarious because Scorpion has literally the most oppressive NPE province lineup with Shameful and Pilgrimage now.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    So I was just reading an old article from when roles were selected, and it had a bit about Scorpion choosing Seeker because Backhanded Compliment would have been NPE and in hindsight that is hilarious because Scorpion has literally the most oppressive NPE province lineup with Shameful and Pilgrimage now.

Heh. Yeah. At the time my reaction to that was less "omg they've betrayed the faction" and more "people who think they can predict something like that are arrogant idiots."

I've enjoyed seeing that play out.

edited May 2018
    Oh here we go. Release dates on the second cycle.

Previews kick off June 6'th.

Release dates:
    June 28th: Breath of the Kami
    July 5th: Tainted Lands
    July 12th: The Fires Within
    July 19th: The Ebb and Flow
    July 26th: All and Nothing
    August 2nd: Elements Unbound

The last two will not be GenCon-legal, due to it being a Grand Kotei.

Also there was mention of a official announcement of a upcoming product coming May 30'th. The phrase "waiting in the shadows" was used to describe it...

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    My gut says Shadowlands... but I also think it is WAY too early for an 8th faction.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    It's almost certain that Shadowlands will exist as a subset of themed neutral cards for some time before any sort of actual Shadowlands faction coalesces

liEt3nH.png
    I was wondering what was up with it. That Phoenix novella, The Sword and the Spirits, finally has a release date of 5/31.

persona4celestia.jpg
    edited May 2018
    Oh shit, there's a restricted list. I've been hearing rumors about it, but didn't think it was going to drop this soon. Although I guess it makes sense since they're doing a AMA this week as well.

Article talks about things more in-depth, but tl;dr version:

• Mirumoto’s Fury (Core Set, 159)
    • For Greater Glory (Core Set, 168)
    • Against the Waves (Core Set, 177)
    • Forged Edict (Core Set, 184)
    • Charge! (Core Set, 210)
    • Pathfinder’s Blade (Imperial Cycle, 31)
    • Policy Debate (Imperial Cycle, 40)
    • Iron Mine (Imperial Cycle, 103)

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Wow. Yeah. For as much as people were discussing rumors in the discord, I wasn't expecting this to actually happen this swiftly. I wonder how they are going to combat/change the game going forward.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Thankfully for me, goes into effect after the kotei this weekend! My Crab deck currently plays Mine, Debate, and Charge, so gotta change these around going forward.

Does look interesting though, so I will be curious to see how this changes popular decks. Fury being on there basically means Dragon splash is going to be very different moving forward, and both Fury and Blade means Dragon decks might be changing it up a bit.

edited May 2018
    PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    edited May 2018
    Boom goes the dynamite, indeed!

We all knew this was coming. And to think, this isn't even the May 30th announcement!

Edit: Ooo, the May 30 thing is gonna be a twitch livestream. Yes, FFG, lean into this media future!

Athenor on
    TL:DR

3+ players
    rather than a shared pool of rings, each player gets their own stack of rings
    no bonus for going second; first player gets 1 extra fate in the dynasty phase
    enlightenment, honor, or complete opponent elimination are the only paths to victory.
    Enlightenment = five rings on a single unbroken province
    When you declare an attack, it's with a ring from your personal pool
    RINGS DO NOT RETURN TO YOUR POOL AT THE END OF A CONFLICT
    Fate is put on your rings by opponents (1 fate only)
    when a province is broken, rings on it are returned to the pool
    you can only place rings on your stronghold if all 4 of your other provinces are broken
    you can only attack a stronghold if your opponent has 4 broken provinces
    Honor bidding for drawing cards works as normal for 3p games, with some math calculation on how to divvy up the honor
    Honor bidding for drawing cards in 4+ player games is done by choosing "honorable" (2) or "dishonorable" (4). Dishonorable players give honor to honorable players.
    Treaties are a thing. Only one treaty per opponent. Must have conditions on both sides, no exchange of game components, and an honor value of 1-5. If someone breaks a treaty, they give that much honor to the other treaty member.

There is a unique list of banned cards for this mode.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    TL:DR

3+ players
    rather than a shared pool of rings, each player gets their own stack of rings
    no bonus for going second; first player gets 1 extra fate in the dynasty phase
    enlightenment, honor, or complete opponent elimination are the only paths to victory.
    Enlightenment = five rings on a single unbroken province
    When you declare an attack, it's with a ring from your personal pool
    RINGS DO NOT RETURN TO YOUR POOL AT THE END OF A CONFLICT
    Fate is put on your rings by opponents (1 fate only)
    when a province is broken, rings on it are returned to the pool
    you can only place rings on your stronghold if all 4 of your other provinces are broken
    you can only attack a stronghold if your opponent has 4 broken provinces
    Honor bidding for drawing cards works as normal for 3p games, with some math calculation on how to divvy up the honor
    Honor bidding for drawing cards in 4+ player games is done by choosing "honorable" (2) or "dishonorable" (4). Dishonorable players give honor to honorable players.
    Treaties are a thing. Only one treaty per opponent. Must have conditions on both sides, no exchange of game components, and an honor value of 1-5. If someone breaks a treaty, they give that much honor to the other treaty member.

There is a unique list of banned cards for this mode.
    I think it's all five rings across your unbroken provinces, not that they must all be on one.
    When a province is broken, the attacker claims all rings that were on it and puts them onto their unbroken provinces. Any that are duplicates are returned to your pool.
    If you break a treaty you just lose honour - the other player does not gain any.

Ah, my bad, was in a hurry before a meeting.
    You are right, it doesn't specify one province, though that is certainly a possibility.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    No worries. Was just calling it out for anyone else giving a skim~

edited May 2018
    Reddit AMA is going on. Will try to compile any new spoilers I spot.

Unicorn event: Dispatch

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg