As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - The Net Serpent

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited April 2018 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - The Net Serpent

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    I dunno if my dad was a god killing murder machine I feel like I’d want to hang out and learn to be a badass.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • TrygylTrygyl Registered User regular
    Who knows, he apparently hasn’t met his dad until recently so maybe there’s a bit of hero worship going on

• MoganMogan Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I don't think Kratos would take 'no' for an answer from his kid. Or any kid.
    I think Atreus is helping slay nightmare beasts or his mystic slate privileges are getting revoked with a frost axe.

I might not be that Kratos's kid is fundamentally different from Jerry's so much as Jerry isn't the god of war.

Mogan on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »
    I dunno if my dad was a god killing murder machine I feel like I’d want to hang out and learn to be a badass.

Doesn't even really enter into it. Plenty of awesome people have ahole kids who don't recognize how awesome their parents are. Children are the worst.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Preacher wrote: »

Doesn't even really enter into it. Plenty of awesome people have ahole kids who don't recognize how awesome their parents are. Children are the worst.

And now I understand why Dad of War is a 10/10. :P

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • TubeTube Registered User admin

Probably not. Can you imagine how tiring it would be?

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Even Mike and Jerry's kids, who seem pretty awesome, don't seem to really grasp what big celebrities their dads are. Even the coolest person is not as cool to his kids.

That said, I think if anyone's son has the right to say, "Dad doesn't get me", it's the immortal avatar of rage, whom years of mindless destruction and excess have devolved into a soulless automaton of vengeance.

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular

It's a pretty common thread throughout history that children just as often define themselves by NOT being what their parents. It might even be the norm.

• SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    I find it ironic that Tycho complains about his kids when his relationship with his own father was based entirerly on conflict

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Watched the GB QuickLook last night.

Now I have to inflict Vinny's joke on all of you: the QL opened with Kratos & son in a boat.

Vinny suggested, "God of Oar."

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    One can have a bad parent and still consider their children selfish little jerks who are emotional terrorists. These aren't opposing ideas.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • PavioPavio Registered User regular
    Sadgasm wrote: »
    I find it ironic that Tycho complains about his kids when his relationship with his own father was based entirerly on conflict

Well, he clearly states that it's children in general--he uses his own kid as the modern, relatable example.

v6h3hfs2v597.png
    You see the thing is

It's a joke

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Ok so

Wait. No ya lost me

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    You see the thing is

It's a joke

Yep. And the other thing is

It's three panels.

The news posts and all the other media (particularly the DLCs) exist if one wants actual nuance rather than the necessarily reductive formula of a three panel strip. From all that stuff, it's clear that Jerry gets all the different POVs going on here.

Particularly funny is when he and Mike talk about how trying to get their kids into some geeky hobby is basically the equivalent of their dads taking them fishing.

That's also what becoming a parent is about, if you're doing it right. You realize that truth is a slippery thing, and often depends on foundational aspects that you never realized were negotiable. Things you thought were universal constants turn out to be quantum effects.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    You see the thing is

It's a joke

Hey Tube, how tiring does it get having to remind people that the comics they read here are just jokes?

You are a strong soul. I swear you have to say this for every strip. It's honestly impressive.

It’s billable time so...

You see the thing is

It's a joke

Hey Tube, how tiring does it get having to remind people that the comics they read here are just jokes?

You are a strong soul. I swear you have to say this for every strip. It's honestly impressive.

I was just assuming he had a script for it.

• jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    I'm sorry, Tube's soul was harvested years ago. There's nothing in there now but white hot burning rage

• T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    Now I want to see Kratos telling his son about his various exploits, and Atreus rolling his eyes at how ludicrous it all sounds.

"So wait Dad, you're telling me you took down a giant statue, got killed by the king of the Gods, who is also your dad, pulled yourself out of Hell, went back in time thanks to a magic loom, got the Titans to help you invade Mount Olympus, and then pretty much slaughtered every one of the most powerful beings in your country. And you did all this... in a day?"

"Yes."

"...... that's even more ridiculous than when you said you grew 200 feet tall and beat up the God of War with a bridge shaped like a sword."

• OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    Let's be honest, Kratos would smash that Norntendo Switch the first time his kid ignored him because of it.

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
    Let's be honest, Kratos would smash that Norntendo Switch the first time his kid ignored him because of it.
    2010-02-22.jpg

• Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Even Mike and Jerry's kids, who seem pretty awesome, don't seem to really grasp what big celebrities their dads are. Even the coolest person is not as cool to his kids.

That actually seems like a healthy attitude for their kids to have. Mike and Jerry are celebrities, but I don't think either of them like to be sucked off or worshiped for it. It just shouldn't matter to their home lives.

Twenty Sided on
  • GrendusGrendus Registered User regular
    Honestly, Atreus' behavior seems pretty believable to me. He looks like he's 8 or 9, an age when boys still often idolize their fathers. And while Kratos isn't the most affectionate father (a fact that's directly addressed in the game in one of the best subtle characterizations I've ever seen), he is pretty awesome and he does go out of his way to teach his son and spend time with him. If it weren't for the whole "god and demigod in a land of myth" thing, Atreus would probably be one of those guys who talks about his distant father and realizing later that his dad just didn't know how to show his affection.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    jwalk wrote: »
    I'm sorry, Tube's soul was harvested years ago. There's nothing in there now but white hot burning rage

Tube for next God of War???

Hey Tube, what's your beard game like? Not saying that's super important, but look at all the 10's the new one got. Directly related to Kratos' perfect beard.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • lionheartssjlionheartssj Bartertown Chief Merchant BartertownRegistered User regular
    Hilarious, and sadly accurate.

• ChaosPathChaosPath Registered User regular
    Simulacrum.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »

It's a pretty common thread throughout history that children just as often define themselves by NOT being what their parents. It might even be the norm.

I thought there was no reason to make a Naruto sequel, but the next generation being ungrateful little shits who completely devalue the sacrifices and struggles of the generation we followed is fascinating commentary on how the readers probably viewed the adults in Naruto.

• shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    Finally an actually funny strip and I get the reference for once.