As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures] Finn is a Big Deal

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I don't think so. The skim vehicles are ground based. We already got the tie striker and resistance bomber. Unless they give us the transport Finn and rose use.

They might also use the luxury ship that DJ stole on Bight for S&V.
    Probably be in more of a support role than attacking, but it should have room for a fair array of illicit systems and mods.

• FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Oh dang! I never got the U-Wing, but I do have X-Wings. And I have moral issues with that giant TIE-themed leviathan mounted on a small base...but I'd totally put Death Troopers on an Oicunn Decimator because I'm a scrub.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    True, and that could be a new scum ship?

Also, Falcon with filled in front section is how it looks in Solo. Appears to be cargo space? Maybe when he "dumps his cargo at the first sign of imperials" is when he loses it and then heads to Tatooine before getting another, and thus the look from then on?

Also gives them another opportunity to sell a third falcon to everyone. Perhaps with smaller movement dial but more passengers and shields?

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Krennic seems dumb. Uh, does he work with TLT?

Edit: Duh, primary. TIE/sf it is.

Krennic states it must be a "Galactic Empire" ship. No S/F, FO, or Silencer

edited February 2018
    Betsuni wrote: »
    I don't think so. The skim vehicles are ground based. We already got the tie striker and resistance bomber. Unless they give us the transport Finn and rose use.

Oh bummer. You are right, I forgot they already brought out the Silencer and Bombers from TLJ.
    see317 wrote: »
    Are there more ships in the new movie? Unfortunately I was unable to watch it and have a blackout of information till it comes out on home video. I know that the TIE Reaper is at least a new model from Rogue One and not a reprint.

Which new movie?
    The Last Jedi has already shown off its new ships in the Bombers and TIE Silencer that FFG has already released. It's possible the A-wing was different enough from the classic design to get a new release.
    TIE Reaper, like you said, is Rogue 1 which also got us the U-wing.

Solo is coming out soon too
    Judging by the trailer, there's a new model TIE where it's got a pod between the cockpit and the right wing panel, as well as a new look for the Falcon where it comes to a point in front instead of having mandibles.
    Wouldn't be surprised to see both of those showing up in a future wave.

Yeah I completely forgot FFG already brought those out. Somehow I blocked that from my memory.
    Ok, so I wasn't the only one who spotted the Falcon without mandibles... Here I was hoping it was a mistake.
    Nope, not a mistake.
    It's been confirmed official in the best way possible.
    In Lego form.

Edit: Possible spoilers for Solo movie behind that link. Just FYI.

see317 on
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

Oh bummer. You are right, I forgot they already brought out the Silencer and Bombers from TLJ.
    Are there more ships in the new movie? Unfortunately I was unable to watch it and have a blackout of information till it comes out on home video. I know that the TIE Reaper is at least a new model from Rogue One and not a reprint.

Which new movie?
    The Last Jedi has already shown off its new ships in the Bombers and TIE Silencer that FFG has already released. It's possible the A-wing was different enough from the classic design to get a new release.
    TIE Reaper, like you said, is Rogue 1 which also got us the U-wing.

Solo is coming out soon too
    Judging by the trailer, there's a new model TIE where it's got a pod between the cockpit and the right wing panel, as well as a new look for the Falcon where it comes to a point in front instead of having mandibles.
    Wouldn't be surprised to see both of those showing up in a future wave.

Yeah I completely forgot FFG already brought those out. Somehow I blocked that from my memory.
    Ok, so I wasn't the only one who spotted the Falcon without mandibles... Here I was hoping it was a mistake.
    Nope, not a mistake.
    It's been confirmed official in the best way possible.
    In Lego form.

Edit: Possible spoilers for Solo movie behind that link. Just FYI.

I'm now sad.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    ElderCat wrote: »
    Yuuuuuup this is the X-wing fix.
    From what I can make out, there's a flippable S-Foils card. There's at least a boost and a tallon roll listed on the card.

The X-Wing pilot card on the top looks like it says:
    after you perform a boost or barrel roll action, you may flip your equipped "Servomotor s-foils" upgrade card

The upgrade card that starts with "Rene" ("Renegade Rebel"? Would be fitting as part of Saw's crew) also looks like it's T-65 X-Wing only. Seems like it may allow you to equip additional Modifications?

Its probably Renegade Refit. Its a T-65 xwing only title that allows you to equip [_______] modifications. So ... at LEAST 2 so you can put the S-foil modification on there.

Renegade Refit is possibly for both X-Wings and U-Wings. Look at the text compared to the S-Foils. It is way longer.

Also look at the box. That X-Wing model has its S-foils closed!

Movable X-Wing wings!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I hadn't noticed that! U-wing too! Or do they already do that?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    I hadn't noticed that! U-wing too! Or do they already do that?

The U-wing does. I remember people being really psyched by the preview that showed the U-wing with it's wings open and closed.
    And by "people" I may or may not mean "myself".

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    God. I'm going to have four U-Wings now since I'll need to make sure I have enough of those X-Wing upgrade cards.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I might have to buy two of the scum aces box because it only comes with two harpoon missiles :/

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I am sure the box is a digital mockup. That said, a detail like that - having the wings closed? That's not something you would do by accident.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    tbh i was kind of hoping we'd get the blue squadron x-wings (and pilots) from rogue one at some point so I'm excited for the... uh, partisans, but still a little bummed

i guess they'd be less visually distinct from the t-70 though?

There is 100% an error on the mockup showing it coming with 5 of the PS1 X-wing pilots. Those two up next to the U-Wing cards are most likely other U-Wing pilots. Maybe K2-S0 is one.

• DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    There is 100% an error on the mockup showing it coming with 5 of the PS1 X-wing pilots. Those two up next to the U-Wing cards are most likely other U-Wing pilots. Maybe K2-S0 is one.

I think that's actually intentional

assuming the uh... Cavern Angel Zealots (good name) are below 21 points so you have some reason to take them over the ps2 option, you should be able to squeeze five into a standard 100 point list, after all

and these patches packs usually come with a few extra copies

Notably, they fixed the U-Wing base in the image (it used to be an enlarged x-wing base). They probably would have fixed the cards as well if it were in fact an error.

Notably, they fixed the U-Wing base in the image (it used to be an enlarged x-wing base). They probably would have fixed the cards as well if it were in fact an error.

They seem to always have at least one intentional goof in the posts on purpose.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    the FFG marketing team doesn't actually play any of their games, so pretty much every post has at least one incorrect thing

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    the FFG marketing team doesn't actually play any of their games, so pretty much every post has at least one incorrect thing

I mean, it would be pretty difficult for them to play every game that FFG is releasing.

• AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    Man, this thread makes me sad.

Scratch that.

The fact that I have a ton of these minis, stored in 4 tackle boxes all nice and pretty, cards sleeved, etc. etc. etc....and have only played the game once (years ago), makes me sad.

What do you guys recommend, as far as the best way to sell them? EBay? BGG?

Ebay probably? Maybe check for FLGS groups, local fb groups, or similar.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Maybe try Craigslist first? Selling local would eliminate shipping costs, and you could always meet at a game store for them to inspect the goods.

DarkPrimus on
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Could just put them out as displays, like I do Never played the game, yet, but love displaying the models.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

Why? I mean that would help them market it better understand how to work outside of the main market and group who plays the game and find a way to keep it fresh and interesting?

I really have not played for about a year for various reasons I really need a way to store the ships {a plastic bag and a large plano container are most of the ships home just larger ones like the Ghost , The TIe carrier sit in the bag the Rebel Transport sits in it's box {my brother just used the X wing and cards from it The Yt 2400 sits in it's box but it's been used
    I also have the Shadow caster but I got it a little after we quit playing
    I really would like to play again but a lot of real life problems killed a lot of my free time

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Brainleech wrote: »

Why? I mean that would help them market it better understand how to work outside of the main market and group who plays the game and find a way to keep it fresh and interesting?

They don't have time for it. Assuming their "marketing team" are full-timers, there are two or three of them at the most.

FFG is a tiny company.

admanb on
    edited February 2018
    yep it is reasonable to look at their huge catalogue and think it's like a 500-1000 person company, but it's closer to 100, and anyone who's played any of their LCGs is familiar with the fact that pretty much every team is understaffed, and that includes marketing

e: like to be clear, I don't mean to take a dump on them, I'm sure they're working hard

as usual, the real problem here is that FFG wants to pretend to be a small company, and it's hurting their product lines (feel free to ask me my opinion on the fact that Netrunner is designed, tested, and developed by exactly one person--the short version is, I'm not happy about it!)

Shorty on
    This is only company and theme related, but is anyone getting Legion? Should we have a thread for it? I ordered the Core set to see how I like painting the models. The rules seem pretty nice.

• ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    No, Legion makes no sense to me after playing with prepainted minis. It's pretty much Star Wars 40k, and I really don't feel the need to buy a game that requires 40 hours to prep for the first game.

DO3O00C.png

My buddy should be getting his copy soon.
    I'd be interested in a thread

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I picked up a copy just now. Unpainted minis certainly aren't a deal-breaker to me but I'll begrudge no one for not wanting to invest the time to assemble/paint minis.

A thread would be nice so we don't feel compelled to derail this one.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    Okay I made a thread. I am out of practice so it kinda sucks.

• ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    I have a tournament coming up in a little under a month, and I'm excited to play for the first time in forever. The problem has been making a list. It's got to be stuff I own, which for the most part isn't a problem but does have a few big gaps. I've put together this, which I'm fairly happy with as it's flying ships I haven't used before and they each look somewhat effective and with everyone the same PS8 gives me flexibility.

MAY THE 4TH

100 points

PILOTS

Tomax Bren (29)
    TIE Bomber (24), Crack Shot (1), Unguided Rockets (2), Lightweight Frame (2)

Rexler Brath (44)
    TIE Defender (37), Ion Cannon (3), Predator (3), TIE/D (0), Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)

“Omega Leader” (27)
    TIE/fo Fighter (21), Comm Relay (3), Juke (2), Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)

View: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/824034/may-the-4th

Tweak: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/build/824034

XWS: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/xws/824034

I am torn on Crack Shot on Bren. While it's probably the most effective, Adrenaline Rush or Lightning Maneuvers seem more entertaining. Any suggestions?

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
    edited April 2018
    Tomax with Crack Shot gives him teeth that your opponent can't ignore, so I prefer that over the extra maneuvering.
    Regardless, if I was going against this list, Rexler would be the first target I gun for. He's a lot of points with only (mostly) unmodified green dice for defense, and if he's down first, you're losing a fair bit of damage.
    Personally, I prefer Vessery over Rexler. He's a bit cheaper and synergizes well with Omega Leader. You could get him in there (cheaper) with Expertise even to save your focus for defense, though he's running at a 6 then.

That said, Tractor Beam with TIE/D is very strong. You're more likely to get more hits in with it, then you'd be able to spend your only focus flipping the extra damage card up with the pilot ability, and you'd be at a 98 for an initiative bid.

crimsoncoyote on
  • ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Expertise would be nice, but I don't have a copy and kind of blew my hobby funds on buying the bus tickets / hotel to get to the tournament. Swapping out the Ion Cannon for Tractor Beam sounds good, and is actually where I started before mucking around, so I'll swap that back and I guess sit on the 2 point bid. I kind of want the ships to all be able to operate semi-independently, as I haven't played in a very long time so the odds of mucking up are quite high.

Edit: Hmmm. If I swap Rexler for Vessery + Vet. Instincts I'm at 94. I could buy him harpoons, although that seems like a waste of his abilities, buy Tomax some bombs, or upgrade Omega Leader to a Stealth Device or Shield Upgrade.

Chrysis on
    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Chrysis wrote: »
    Expertise would be nice, but I don't have a copy and kind of blew my hobby funds on buying the bus tickets / hotel to get to the tournament. Swapping out the Ion Cannon for Tractor Beam sounds good, and is actually where I started before mucking around, so I'll swap that back and I guess sit on the 2 point bid. I kind of want the ships to all be able to operate semi-independently, as I haven't played in a very long time so the odds of mucking up are quite high.

Edit: Hmmm. If I swap Rexler for Vessery + Vet. Instincts I'm at 94. I could buy him harpoons, although that seems like a waste of his abilities, buy Tomax some bombs, or upgrade Omega Leader to a Stealth Device or Shield Upgrade.

Vessery is probably the strongest Defender pilot overall, for both /D and /x7 builds. TIE MkII doesn't do a whole lot for Omega (turning 3 banks green isn't a huge deal with how good your greens already are), so you can absolutely swap that up to something for more durability. If you're willing to give up some offense on Tomax you can also set him up with TIE Shuttle. 2 reds and crack shot is still going to plink away at people. Though he's probably going to be the lowest priority target for your opponent, since Vessery is a must-kill due to his offense (and the force-multiplier of tractors), and Omega Leader is the most dangerous in the endgame.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Running stealth device can deter people from killing OL early, but shield/hull upgrade is way way more reliable

edited April 2018
    Running stealth device can deter people from killing OL early, but shield/hull upgrade is way way more reliable

I could math it out, but I'm pretty sure the extra HP is worth more than the extra green die in expected health anyways (especially when you always have an evade token)

Edit: An oversimplified version of the math:

Your base mitigation with focus+evade on average is going to be 2.8+1.1 per attack beyond the first. Omega is very hard to damage with only one attack per turn.
    With stealth device that increases to 3.5+1.5 until you take damage. It makes you significantly harder to hurt... as long as you have focus (I'm just assuming you burn focus on the first attack, and counting evade in there too since you'll often burn it as soon as it's relevant. Properly accounting for focus is too much work). And once you take damage you drop to the base case.

Hull upgrade is the same cost but gives you an extra HP, and with that base level of mitigation that can be another couple turns (or not, as there's a decent bit of variance, but that's what you get for living on greens). Shield upgrade is one more but pushes crit vulnerability back slightly too.

As long as OL isn't being shot at much, he's not going to die fast either way barring bad luck on the dice. Especially whoever he has locked just isn't likely to get through with unmodded reds on most attacks unless someone else is also attacking (as unmodded 3 reds only averages 1.5 hits, far less than OL's average mitigation).

Actually thinking about it... Stealth device only needs to block one damage that would have otherwise made it through to be equal to shield upgrade. If you aren't expecting bombs... that actually isn't too unlikely, though it's basically a coin flip I think? I really don't want to figure out the actual math on that.

Polaritie on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018

Confirmation that the physical model's S-foils open and close.

But fuck that, X-wing fix! 4 of them in the pack!

swx74_a2_upgrade_s-foils.jpg

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Now they need to errata the U-wing title to flip at start of activation too.