As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Our furry companions (nsf56k)

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I once suggested my friens Pat rename his cat Token to batman. I even offered to buy the cape

Token for his part was very into the idea.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Cat question.

I realize this is a crapshoot no matter how much I ask questions about it...but here goes.

Do you think a cat would get along better with another cat that has similar markings to its own? As you guys may know I lost one of my kitties recently and my other one has been showing signs of loneliness and separation anxiety. (I live alone, so while im at work shes by herself). Because of this I've already started looking around for another to adopt. One that I noticed on petfinder is almost a spitting image of my current cat (long haired calico very young). My current kitty has always shown what i would describe as a mothering personality to my passed kitty (she did not appriciate it much...she was a calico as well but regular haired). So i think when i get another one she likely will do well with a kitten. I'm just wondering if there has been any kind of study that shows a pattern of rejection in these kinds of cases depending on if the kitten was similar in looks/breed/type?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Cat question.

I realize this is a crapshoot no matter how much I ask questions about it...but here goes.

Do you think a cat would get along better with another cat that has similar markings to its own? As you guys may know I lost one of my kitties recently and my other one has been showing signs of loneliness and separation anxiety. (I live alone, so while im at work shes by herself). Because of this I've already started looking around for another to adopt. One that I noticed on petfinder is almost a spitting image of my current cat (long haired calico very young). My current kitty has always shown what i would describe as a mothering personality to my passed kitty (she did not appriciate it much...she was a calico as well but regular haired). So i think when i get another one she likely will do well with a kitten. I'm just wondering if there has been any kind of study that shows a pattern of rejection in these kinds of cases depending on if the kitten was similar in looks/breed/type?

I've never heard anything that supports this. My guess is that whether cats get along is independent of markings.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    I've never heard of that being a thing. Cats are very much smell and behavior based so I don't think they put much into looks when it comes to social stuff.

How you treat her and how you treat any new addition is more important than anything else when it comes to integration.

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    I know some newly paired dogs will get along better if they aren’t the same gender even if they’re both fixed because they just fall into a new pack hierarchy.

I’ve never seen that play into new cats being introduced. I can’t see how coloring or marks would make a difference.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2018
    This is not my dog but it looks like my dog and acts like my dog (aka oscillating wildly between completely independent and incredibly, vocally needy) so i have named him after my dog

z4okbmflpqk5.jpg

Also I think Uschi is a homonym for cow in Japanese, which is apropos.

tynic on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    It is indeed (spelled 'ushi' but I'm assuming the same pronunciation).

Also it's kind of a 'thing' in Japan that if you see a cow, you kind of just start yelling 'ushi ushi ushi!' at it, so you've chosen well.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    can I just moo randomly at the cows too?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    It is indeed (spelled 'ushi' but I'm assuming the same pronunciation).

Also it's kind of a 'thing' in Japan that if you see a cow, you kind of just start yelling 'ushi ushi ushi!' at it, so you've chosen well.

Anytime I see a cow, I literally start yelling "cow! cow! cow!" at my wife, so yeah, that makes sense.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    I made the mistake of sending my wife to get cat food on a day when they were doing cat adoptions.

Anyway, this is Bruce, who will likely be joining our family soon.

?bust=1524126879

We went to meet Bruce tonight and when I sat down on the floor he immediately jumped into my lap. So, yeah, we're in love with him.

Now they just need to hurry up and process our adoption application.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    HOW DOES TONGUE WORK?

0ms4425jgz63.jpg

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    G4QSNEX.jpg?1

These two babies were sitting in the parking lot of my apartment complex when I came home tonight, so I gave them some food. Normally I'd try to lure them into a carrier, but all the shelters are closed and I can't keep them inside with me because Gurney, my cat, is on meds that compromise his immune response.

Through coordinated effort with my roommate/flatmate we gathered the two kitties and got them to the vet without bringing them inside.
    We're now acclimatizing them and Gurney. They're in my roommate's room with their own food and litterboxes and we let them get used to each other through a crack in the door.
    GkfeqLr.jpg?1
    G3AsWdZ.jpg?1

I let the new cats wander the apartment today, supervised. Gurney and the boy get along fairly well, they mostly stayed out of each other's way with only a little grumbling when they got too close. Gurney and the girl almost immediately started hissing at each other. None of them seemed too interested in getting into a rumble though, so that's good I guess.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    we have the same cat

Rb1s1qI.jpg?1

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    @McFodder have you ever had any issues of mild incontinence with Darcy at all?

Ori has been leaking a little while laying down over the past week or so, which is unusual for her. I had a look around and apparently it's not uncommon for spayed females to get it at some point.

Could be a UTI too I guess. We've got her booked in for the vet to check her out anyway.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I think once or twice early on we had her pee from excitement when we got home, so we stopped making such a big fuss of her when we first walk in and she's been fine since then.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2018
    Kona experienced rain for the first time and she loved it.

sfb6zhi5r3yh.jpg

There's a video of her trying to drink the rain as it fell from the sky too.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    look at that big dumb wet face

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular

cute.jpg

Where's a video of her trying to drink the rain as it fell from the sky?

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Atrus got three quasi-annual shots on Saturday, so on sunday he was a big lethargic droopy sad.

Seeing a greyhound act even more lazy and despondent is a scary thing, but it was all normal. He was better today! (also all his tests came back good!)

I had to pick him up to put him on the couch yesterday :(:(

Elbasunu on
    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    chromdom wrote: »

cute.jpg

On my phone!

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular

cute.jpg

On my phone!

So do we setup a snail mail chain to send the phone around to forumers or...?

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/f6cZWV-I-BM

I'd suggest muting unless you want to hear the cacophony of my family in the morning.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Only thing that would’ve made that better is if you had filmed it horizontally. :P

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    David_T wrote: »

cute.jpg

On my phone!

So do we setup a snail mail chain to send the phone around to forumers or...?

it'll end up with Desktop Hulk...whereever that is :rotate:

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Only thing that would’ve made that better is if you had filmed it horizontally. :P

I take the time to upload the video for your enjoyment and this is the thanks I get?!?

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    My dog is p.cute guys.

CalDI2z.jpg
    rdzkvgu.jpg

• Options
    Look at that snoot!

• Options
    How do I smooch the snoot over the internet

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

I'd suggest muting unless you want to hear the cacophony of my family in the morning.

Steve not to alarm you but I think one of your children might be a wookiee.

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

They all are.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular

They all are.

So that's why parents let kids win at games? Not to make them feel better or more confident, but because they'll tear your limbs off?

• Options

They all are.

So that's why parents let kids win at games? Not to make them feel better or more confident, but because they'll tear your limbs off?

This is accurate.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Bodhi dropping hints re: couch access.
    t5ytb4kccle1.jpeg

or36esmeqeis.jpeg

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    Watch out. You give him a chin and he's going to take a paw.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Ha that little mark on his snout is cute.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Bruce is home and is the sweetest boy we could imagine. It took him all of 2 minutes to settle in and plop himself down on my lap for pets and scritches. We have him sequestered in the bedroom now, and he loves cuddling up against us in bed, but he's good about not walking all over us or waking us up at night.

He's extremely interested in the other kitties and is constantly trying to get out of the bedroom to meet them. We did some preliminary introductions and they went pretty well. There was some hissing from our incumbent cats but no biting or fighting. We're hoping that by the end of the weekend we can let him have the run of the place.

Obligatory pictures. First one is not a good pic, but is him 2 minutes after getting out of the carrier:

XxhXMlC.jpg?1

And him being the sweetest baby:

Ay5v0qn.jpg

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    Bodhi dropping hints re: couch access.
    <pics snipped for huge, but was tough because so cute>

Meanwhile, at the McFodder house..
    ufay5ihnk0u7.jpg
    Do not adjust your screen, this is the correct orientation for a greyhound.

McFodder on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    lonnnnnnggggggg

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    At first I thought that blanket was somehow part of doggo's body and I got very confused

• Options
    Looking for an apartment when you have a large beast is a heck of a thing around here.

Luckily, when you do finally find a good landlord who loves doggos, they're easy to win over. Rex has been practicing his adorable looks and it paid off, because we just signed a new lease.

3v3lr5llavaw.jpg

I mean, who could say no to that?

This discussion has been closed.